• Published 11th Apr 2012
  • 586 Views, 3 Comments

The Return of the lost ruler - Flutterftw123



After the defeat of Discord the mane six and the Princesses must deal with a greater threat.

  • ...
 3
 586

Family reunion

The Long awaited reunion.

Far beyond Canterlot, far beyond Ponyville, far beyond even the Everfree forest, the tattered remains of an ancient castle stand in the middle of a barren wasteland. Not a soul insight save for the most insignificant of insects. Past the dilapitated draw-bridge, through the remains of a once beautiful courtyard, and deep within the castle walls somewhere in the main audience chamber, stands an eerily life like statue. An alicorn. The eerie silence is broken as a surge of energy rainbow in color sweeps over the statue, causing a small crack within it's form. And a haunting laugh was heard all around the chamber.

It was a few months after the confrontation with Discord and all the ponies of Ponyville were happily living out their now very peaceful lives.

"Spike hurry up we still have a few things on the list to pick up before we can head home." Twilight sparkle said as she held a quill enveloped in a light purple aura and crossed off another item off her shopping list.

"Hmm quills? check, paper? check, Ink? check, let's see what else is on the list?". Twilight looked through the list as an over encumbered little purple dragon followed close behind.

"Come on Twilight, it's almost lunch time and my arms are getting tired, can't we atleast stop and grab a bite to eat first?" Complained the small reptile.

"Well I suppose that'd be ok, I was getting kinda hungry mysel...*grumble*" Twilight blushed as her stomach letout a loud growl. Luckily for the duo Sugar cube corner was just around the corner.

As Twilight and Spike walked through the door they were greeted by a familiar bouncing pink ball of energy.
"Hiya Spike! Hiya Twilight!" Exclaimed Pinkie Pie as she bounded over to them from the counter.

"What brings you guys here, I mean other than the cakes, pie, cupcakes, and other pastries? Unless that's what you're here for in which case my next question would be What would you guys like? Cake, pie, cupcakes..."

Pinkie was inturupted by another of Twilights stomach growls, which at this point might as well have been a roar.
"Hehe your tummy sounds awefully hungry huh Twilight? Well there's no need to fear Auntie Pinkie Pie is here!" said Pinkie as she bolted to the kitchen and before Twilight could even blink she was back with a plate with two great big slices of cherry pie with whipped cream on top.

"Well that was fast huh Spike?" Twilight asked and was answered with a resounding *drool* from the little dragon.
"Thank you very much Pinkie." said the purple unicorn as she levitated the plate.

"How much?" Twilight asked as a glow enveloped her sadle bags and levitated forth a small purse that gingled with money in it.

"On the house Twi!" Pinkie said with a large grin on her face.

"Just let me know how it is, it's a new recipe I've been wanting to try!" exclaimed the pink pony.

"Well that's very kind of you Pinkie, I'm sure they'll be delicious." As twilight and Spike took a seat and dug into the pie. It was delicious, sweet but not overpowering, with a flakey crust and juicy cherries.

"Oh it's delicious!" Complimented Twilight. "Ungf Ish guhd" Spike agreed with a mouth full of food.

Meanwhile in the barrens far from Equestria, the ruined castle still standing. Inside sat a large ominous figure. Obviously a pony but larger than even Princess Celestia. A coat of pitch black, with a mane that flowed like molten lava, piercing eyes of gold, his horn was long with a slight upturned curve, and his wings were large and batlike. "Hmm, It seems my powers are finally at full strength." The being said as it spread it's wings and stood up on all fours and gave a single mighty flap trembling through the castle crumbling it around him.

As he stood there amongst the pile of rubble, he gave a sinister smirk and said to himself,
"Time for a family reunion sisters." and with that the alicorn took flight and headed for Equestria.


"Urrp, 'scuse me." Spike said with a satisfied smile across his face.

"Spike!" "What? I said 'scuse me." Spike retorted to Twilights scolding.

"Well grossness aside, thanks for the pie Pinkie we should really be going though we still have a bit of shopping to do before...."

Twilight was interrupted by another belch from the purple dragon followed by a letter with Princess Celestia's seal on it.

"Oh my I wonder what the Princess could want at this time of day?" Twilight thought outloud as she enveloped the scroll in magic and unrolled it.

My Faithful student Twilight Sparkle,
I am afraid that Equestria may be in need of you and the other elements again. An ancient power once thought to have been eternally sealed seems to have been awakend and only the elements of harmony can even stand a chance of fending him off. Please gather the other bearers and come to Canterlot as quickly as possible.

Your Princess, Celestia.

"Oh no this can't be good." Twilight said with a worried face.

"Pinkie I need you to find Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy, I'll find AppleJack and Rarity, and meet me in front of the library!"
Twilight gave out the command to which Pinkie replied "Okie dokie loki" gave a salute and dashed off.

"What's wrong Twilight?" Spike inquired.

"That note from the Princess said something about an ancient power that could put all of Equestria in great danger, and the princess wants me and the other element bearers to meet her in Canterlot." Twilight said as she levitated Spike and her bags onto her back and raced off to Carousel Boutique to gather up Rarity and then to Sweet Apple Acres for AppleJack.
About an hour or so later the six friends met up in front of the library.

"Whas' goin on now Twi?"

" Yes darling you were in such a rush that I couldn't get a word in as we ran." asked AJ and Rarity.

"Yea it better be important I was practicing this new move that is sure to get me into the Wonderbolts!" Exclaimed one cyan and rainbow colored pegasus.

"Calm down everypony and let me explain, I just recieved a letter from the Princess about an hour ago and it requested that we all see her right away in Canterlot, something about an ancient power that could endanger all of Equestria." Twilight explained.

"Well what are we all waiting fer?" AJ questioned, "This sounds important".

As AJ said this a chariot being drawn by two golden armor clad Pegusi landed by the mane six. One of the guards turned towards Twilight,

"Miss Sparkle? Princess Celestia sent us to pick you and your friends up, hop on no time to waste the Princess says it's imperative that you all arrive ASAP!" As he pointed towards the chariot with one of his wings.

Off were the six towards Canterlot Castle. After a short flight the group made their way into the main audience chamber where Celestia and Luna were pacing around with worried looks on their faces.

"Ah Twilight, I'm so glad to see you all here so quickly. Now hurry this way." As celestia led the way into a hallway leading towards the Elements of Harmony.

"I'm afraid Equestria may be in great danger my little ponies" as the six ponies and the two princesses made their way towards the vault holding the elements.

As the group reached the door Celestia placed her horn within the hole of the lock as magic began to glow unlocking the doors. Celestia was about to reach for the elements but was forced back along with the others by an unseen force. Shaking away the disorientation the eight ponies got back up to there hooves and looked at the large being now holding the elements in his hooves.

"No, no this can't be, you really did break free." Celestia said with fear in her and Lunas eyes.

"Ah but of course dear Celestia, you didn't think that silly little sealing spell was going to hold me forever did you?" The being smirked at the bewildered princesses and the confused ponies.

"Of course we did! We took all your power from you and sealed you forever!" Luna said in a loud yet frightened voice.

"Oh come now dearest Luna, you know better than that! Haven't I taught you two anything? Brother is truly disappointed." He said letting the word "brother" roll off his tongue in a sinister way.

At this point the mane six couldn't keep quiet anylonger.

"Now wait just a second what 'brother' since when did the princesses have a brother?" Rainbow accused feining confidence in the face of this threatening new foe.

"I assume this one is the element of loyalty." The large alicorn noted as he spotted Rainbows cutie mark and compared it to the elements.

"I will also assume that my dear sisters went through a lot of trouble to keep my existence out of the history books." The alicorn now looked at the two princesses with narrowing eyes.

"Oh where are my manners? Allow me to formally introduce myself, I am Prince Noir." Noir said with an elegant bow.
"And this my dear sisters is the declaration of my return." As Noir let the last of his words leave his lips he enveloped the elements in an eerie glow of dark energy and crushed them as if they were paper and tossed them towards his stunned audience.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!" Noir let out a resounding laugh that might as well have frozen the air around them as he vanished in a flame of crimson.

"Soon my dear sisters I shall reclaim my throne and Equestria will cower before me, until then." the voice vanished along with the flames leaving the eight ponies distraught and utterly horrified at what had just happened.

A few unspoken minutes later in the throne room. Celestia finally broke the silence. "I have a lot of explaining to do my little ponies." The princesses eyes were downcast almost hoping one of the six would say it was unneeded but no such luck.

"It was long before Discord, before even the creation of Canterlot, when the three pony tribes were in the thralls of a great war."

" Many ponies fell during this terrible conflict."

"That was indeed our brother, the once great and benevolent Prince Noir."

"He was a force that was respected by all three of the pony tribes."

"He saw the pain the ponies were in because of the war and was desperate to quell the hatred as soon as possible."

"We loved our brother and thought the world of him." Celestia looked at Luna who had the hint of a tear in her eye.

"He taught us how to raise the sun and moon, how to be great rulers, how to care for the ponies under our rule before ourselves."

"But soon the war escalated to a point that broke our brother, he was tired of seeing pony kill pony in a endless war."

"So he took things into his own hooves."

"He stepped in and brought the three rulers from each tribe and gathered them in an attempt to bring about peace, but it was all a feint, once all the rulers were in one place he struck them down mercilessly and claimed dominence over all three tribes."

"He ruled with an iron hoof, striking down any pony who was either brave or stupid enough to stand up to him, he saw the worst in the ponies and decided that it would take the worst to control them."

"United under fear, that was what our brother thought would bring about peace."

"He went mad with power, he stopped teaching us, and even scoffed at our attempts to reason with him."

"That was when me and Luna made the most difficult decision we ever had to make at that point, we used the teachings Noir gave us and forged the elements of harmony and together sealed our brother in what we thought was an inescapable prison."

"We also left our old home and created Equestria where it is now, leaving our brother in his prison where we sealed him."
The six friends were taking in all that they had just heard and trying to piece it together.

"But princess how could Noir have possibly escaped?" Twilight asked.

"It must have been when you six used the elements to re-seal Discord." Celestia thought for a second.

"It had to have been then, the only thing that could've broken that sealing spell would've been what created it in the first place. Not even Discords sealing was as strong as the one we had to use on Noir." This time Celestia was certain this was what happened.
"But why wait till now to show up? We defeated Discord months ago." Applejack said confused.

"It must've taken him some time to restore himself to full power." Luna finally spoke.

"Noir was far too powerful for myself or my sister to handle, so we had to use the elements to not only seal him but drain him of all his power." Luna said to the ponies.

"We tried so hard to keep his existence unknown to the public, Luna and I casted a wide ranged memory altering spell, making the ponies forget about Noir and all he had done." Celestia sounded apologetic, she did not like the idea of having to mess around with other ponies minds.

"So the only way to defeat this guy is with the elements?" Dash asked looking at the crumpled piece of metal that were their only salvation.

"I'm afraid so." Celestia let out a heavy sigh of sorrow.

"Is there anyway to fix them?" Twilight was looking over the hunk of gold and crushed stone.

"That might be possible but Luna and I will not be able to aid you in that." Celestia looked at Twilight.

"Sister is right, there is a way to repair them, but since we are no longer the bearers I'm afraid our powers will not work for them." Luna stood next to her sister.

"Well then I guess it's up to us to try and fix the elements before Noir strikes again!" Dash was feeling confident.

"It can't be that simple, I mean it took both the Princesses to forge them how could we possibly fix them?" Rarity chimed in.

"The only way to repair them at this rate is to re-imbue them with the power they once held, each bearer must put all their heart into their respective element channeled through an ancient idol." Celestia brought up an old tattered map that had obviously seen better days.

"I'm afraid the idol is not even in Equestria though, it is in the lowest chamber of our old castle from before Noirs corruption." Celestia handed the map to Twilight who levitated it into a saddle bag a guard had brought her.

"It is located far past the Everfree forest and beyond the borders of Equestria, in a land that I had hoped never to see again."

"Luna will accompany you on your journey there, this map should help you navigate the caverns once you get to the castle, I will stay here in Canterlot incase Noir decides to show up." Celestia looked over the six ponies and her sister.

"But sister you know that neither of us are a match for Noir, it'll take us both to fend him off." Luna sounded very worried for her sister.

"I can atleast slow him down, I cannot leave the citizens of Equestria unguarded, and you must go with Twilight and her friends, what if Noir decides to attack them on their way to the old castle?" Celestia put a re-assuring hoof on Luna's shoulder.

"And that was several thousand years ago, I'm sure we are both much stronger now then we were then, if nothing else." Celestia tried to comfort her younger sister.

"Very well sister I will accompany them and ensure that Noir not lay a hoof on them." Luna perked up and hugged her sister.

"Alright then lets not waste anytime!" Twilight exclaimed.

"Yea! We beat Nightmare Moon and Discord, this'll be a cinch." Rainbow sounding more confident.

"Ah reckon we'll have that Noir fella back in stone in no time flat." Applejack said re-affirming her own confidence.

"YEAH!!! And afterwards I'm gonna throw the biggest party ever! EVER!!!!!" Pinkie got face to face with Luna as she exclaimed her future plans.

"Quite right Darling, and I'll make all of us even the Princesses some amazing gowns to celebrate our victory." Rarity said flicking a lock of her mane away from her face with a graceful hoof.

"Y-yea....I...I mean, I don't want that big meanie to be our ruler, I want Princess Celestia and Luna to be our rulers...I...I mean if you want to that is." Fluttershy hid behind her long pink hair.

"All right then everypony, head back to Ponyville and pack a few essentials this is gonna be a long journey and meet at the edge of the Everfree forest in the morning." Luna gave the command like a true leader before heading to her room to pack as well.

As the other ponies made their way out to the sky carriage to take them back to Ponyville Celestia looked back down the hall way with the charred floor that Noir left behind. "Good luck my little ponies, we're going to need as much of it as we can get." Worry plastered across her face.

"Hehehe, and now little sisters, it is time for me to make my move." Noir said to himself, in an endless black void deprived of any light save for a small portal like window he was using to spy on his sisters conversation with the bearers.
"Soon Equestria will fall to my feet, and my rule will be absolute." Noir let out a loud cackle before dismissing the portal.