• Published 8th Jul 2014
  • 558 Views, 4 Comments

The Sparx of Friendship - CaptainSparx



What does it take to be a true friend when all you have to offer is your failures? Maybe there’s more to friendship than what’s on the table.

  • ...
2
 4
 558

20% Cooler

“Okay, you’ve got to be joking.”

“I swear they were in here.” Tinker rifled through her saddle bag for her notes.

“Come on, I need to study those.”

“Ah, there they are.” Tinker dumped the contents of the saddle bag out on the floor.

“Hey aren’t you going to return that?” Flo motioned to the diary that lay among the various crumbled pieces of note paper.

“As soon as I get these notes sorted and put back in order we can go take it back.”

“You can do that, I’ve got a better idea, since you won’t let me read it.”

“Oh really? And what would that be?”

“I’ll let you know later tonight, I’ll need your help.”

“Okay, so see you later then?”

“Later Tinker,” Flo waved as she trotted off.

“Okay notes, time to get organized,” Tinker levitated the numerous pieces of paper and looked them over. “Nope, okay physics goes here, math, ugh language studies. I hate that class.” Tinker placed the papers in several organized piles and clipped them together, placing them neatly back in her saddle bag. “Now to go return a diary.”

“Okay, where did everypony go?” Tinker cantered along the sidewalk looking for any sign of a crowd. To her dismay the city seemed to have returned to the usual busyness. Somepony had to have seen them recently. After all she was only in class a little over an hour, she doubted they would only be in the city for that…. “There they are!” She caught a glimpse of one of the Wonderbolt uniforms. She dashed as fast as she could to catch up to the now much smaller group that followed the three ponies and there tag along around. Now just how would she be able to get the diary back without making a scene?

“What did you think Rainbow Dash? Did you enjoy yourself today?” Spitfire turned to the techni-colored pony.

“It was AWESOME!” Dash fired back, her eyes as big as saucers.

“Well that’s good but… ah could we grab a bite to eat now? I’m famished.” Soarin moaned, dragging his hooves.

“Sounds good to me. You up for a quick bite Dash?” Spitfire asked there tagalong. I quick nod of affirmation and they were all of for dinner.

“Ah shucks, this might take longer than I though.” Tinker settled down out on the sidewalk with the rest of the fans, and media ponies.

“So why are you here miss?” One of the reporters trotted over and shoved a microphone in her face.

“Huh?? HAY!!” Tinker Shot up to all fours.

“Which of the Wonderbolts is your favorite?” the news-pony insisted.

“Um…. None of them??”

“A diehard fan of all of them then?”

“No, I’m not really a big fan…”

“But you must be, to be waiting outside all this time.”

“I don’t want to talk about it. Just leave me alone…”

“Sounds like somepony’s got a juicy story just waiting to come to light.” The reporter said excitedly.

Man this reporter was starting to get really annoying. “I don’t care! Just back off already!”

“Ah, touchy… I doubt this would make good footage anyway” Turning to the camera and smirking.

“That’s it. You asked for it!!” Tinker glared, her horn starting to glow.

“Oh what’s that? You gonna use your shiny little horn? Well I can’t wait to see this.” The camera turned to catch all the action.

“Enjoy the show…” Tinker growled through her gritted teeth. Little sparks fizzling around her horn, intensifying as they accumulated at the tip. She lowered her head, aiming directly toward the camera and let forth a blast of electric blue light. She ripped the camera away from the videographer, floating it in mid-air as she deftly removed the tape. The camera fell to the ground as she focused solely on the tape.

“HAY! What are you doing!?!” The reporter gasped.

“Erasing… the… tape!” She narrowed the beam as the tape started to smoke letting it fall to the ground with the camera.

“My….my… report.” The reporter dropped down and swiped up the tape, blowing the smoke out, examining the melted ribbon inside.
The crowd suddenly became alive as the restaurant door flew open and a mix of color blasted out.

“Ohmygoshohmygosh…. Where could it be??” Dash bolted down the street.

“Cloud feathers… HAY WAIT UP!!” Tinker took off at a gallop after the zooming pegasus.

“What about my tape!!” The reporter lifted a hoof in protest.

Tinker turned the corner, racing after the speedy pegaus. “You’ve got to be kidding me… ugh… I’ll never catch up to her at this rate.”

Flo was flying carefully with a stack of books, trying her best to stay straight and level. “Steady… steady…. Almost there….” CRASH!!!!

“Oh I’m so sorry.” The other pegasus stopped to help pick up the books scattered along the ground.

Flo’s jaw dropped as Tinker hurried up to the group, breathing heavily.

“Here let me help.” Dash started pick up several of the books. “Hmm… beginner’s magic, magical mysteries, flight spells? Be careful with that one, butterfly wings melt….”

“I can’t… can’t believe it… it’s… it’s…”

“Rainbow Dash… I’m glad I caught up, Oh hay Flo.”

“Caught up?”

“Yeah I think this is yours?” Tinker dug in her saddle bag and pulled out the diary.

Dash zipped by snatching it up in her hooves. “My diary!! You found it! I can’t believe I lost it. Did you read it!?!!” Dash glared eye to eye with the other mare.

“Nope, Only the first page because there was no name on the cover.”

“Phew, you had me worried for a second there.” She placed the diary in her saddle bag and secured the flap closed. “Okay, I got to fly… enjoy those books.” She dashed off back towards the restaurant, leaving a pile of sloppily stacked books in her wake.

“Boy was that close…”

“I bumped into Rainbow Dash!” Flo squealed, elated.

“Beginners magic? Magical mysteries… How’d you get these??”

“I borrowed them.” She stated matter-of-factly, looking away.

“From where…” she flipped open the cover, “No FRIKKIN WAY!!! These are from the University Library! You stole these??!”

“Of course not silly, I got one of the students to check them out for me, you think I’m that stupid?”

“Well…”

“Don’t answer that.” She shot a stern look at her friend.

Tinker let a grin slide across her face. “But you can’t use these. You’re a pegasus.”

“But I know a unicorn who will help me.”

“Are you kidding? I’ve wanted to get my hooves on these books for, like, forever!”

“I know.” Flo rolled her eyes. “You talk about them all the time it seems.”

“Come on, let’s get back to the apartment. I can’t wait to get started reading.”

“Just so long as you read the flight spells first. You wouldn’t believe how many times I dropped these on the way here.”

“I don’t even want to know…” Tinker looked at the mud and dirt, the scuffed bindings. They looked like second-hoof books by now.

“You really need to get a saddle bag.”

“No way, not cool.”

“Rainbow Dash has one…”

“She does?”

“Yup, she was wearing it when I gave her diary back.”

“Well… maybe.”

“Anyway let’s go.” Tinker levitated the stack of books and the pair started walking off. It was going to be a long night, and they had work in the morning.