• Published 6th Jul 2014
  • 3,743 Views, 94 Comments

Redemption - Mystic_Knightwolf



Years after his departure to become a better pony, Prince Blueblood returns to a different Equestria with the goal of atonement in mind.

  • ...
11
 94
 3,743

Chapter 3: The Confrontation

Redemption

Chapter 3: The Confrontation

Blueblood just stared.

Stared unto the eyes of Cadence as she stared right back with the same wide eyes and speechless expression, though their reasons were different. By now, Shining Armor, along with the rest of the crowd, had figured out what their princess were staring at, and all eyes went to Blueblood. Their gazes felt like a thousand suns baring down on him, and that was enough to break him out of his stupor as he shifted uncomfortably at the eyes burning into his soul. By now, every mare, stallion, and foal had went dead silent, curious as to who Blueblood was in relation to their princess. Their naivety prevented them from getting any hostile thoughts as so who Blueblood was, and that was a plus. Nonetheless, Blueblood did his best to remain calm before looking back up to where the royal pair were to find out that Cadence had disappeared.

Before he could even move, Blueblood felt himself forcefully moved to sit on his haunches. His eyes barely managed to register Cadence appearing right in front of him before he was grasped in the tightest possible bear hug. He could even feel his back pop.

Gasps of surprise and shock were heard throughout the crowd as they watched Cadence embracing a mysterious, white stallion. Blueblood himself was even more derailed at the sudden gesture, his mouth still slightly agape in surprise. He didn't object to Cadance resting her head on his shoulder, but he felt his heart plunge at the sound of quiet sobbing in his ear. Seemingly on pure instinct, Blueblood immediately threw his own forehooves around his sister, hugging as tightly as she did him.

"Brother, I... I missed you so much." countless emotions raced through Blueblood at that moment. Regret and rejoice were among the strongest, and they filled his heart and wrenched it at the same time. He didn't even take notice of the crowd around them as they exploded in screams and cheers, also rejoiced in the sight of their princess being reunited with her brother. No doubt Cadance went out looking for him herself when he left.

When Cadence finally broke the embrace, she held Blueblood across from her, her smile beaming, and her eyes filled with joyous tears. That in itself almost made Blueblood want to cry. He had always held Cadance close to him, as she was one of the very few that truly cared about him. Any strong emotion from her would surely get the same from him.

"It's... been too long." was all Blueblood could think of saying.

Cadence calmed down enough to nod in agreement, wiping the tears from her eyes. "It has, hasn't it? I'm so clad to see you again! Where were you all this time?" she asked as they stood up from their haunches.

"Well, it's a long story, but I'd love to tell you when the family's back together. I'm not trying to sound like my old self, but I'm looking forward to a big welcome when I get home to Canterlot." Blueblood explained with a healthy dose of mirth.

"Well, if there's going to be a special occasion, I look forward to being there. But speaking of special occasions, we can talk more during the parade." and with that, brother and sister made their way back to the carriage.

For the rest of the parade, Blueblood and Shining took seats on either side of Cadance in effort to avoid each other, but they kept up the facade of brotherhood surprisingly well. Blueblood merely sat and talked with Cadance while Shining kept up the 'smile and wave' routine. One thing Blueblood found slightly disturbing was the fact that the crystal ponies actually followed the parade all throughout the kingdom. The Crystal Empire was small and the streets fragmented it all quite nicely, but the entire populace following the parade still gave Blueblood the impression of timberwolves surrounding a prey item, except with excitement rather than hunger.

XXXXX

"Here we are, girls! The Crystal Empire!" Twilight exclaimed with glee, the rest of the group cheering in delight as they made their way from the train station.

"Ah can't wait ta show 'em Granny's home-baked apple pies!"

"I can't wait to throw the party!!!"

"I'll give 'em the most fun they've ever had!"

"I for one can't wait to prepare Cadance for the fair!"

As the girls continued to announce their excitement, they made their way into the city, no doubt receiving a proper hero's welcome. Reactions ranged from Applejack's modesty to Rainbow Dash's self-righteous boastfulness. The crystal ponies themselves seemed as excited as ever to see them, shouting, cheering, whistling as the group walked by. It was like so the whole trip from Ponyville.

That was, until Pinkie's pinkie sense went off.

As they walked, Pinkie's entire body began shaking violently, drawing the ire of the whole group. "Pinkie, what is it? Which sense is it?" Twilight asked as the girls took necessary precautions. Fluttershy hid behind Twilight, Rarity and Applejack to precautionary steps back, and Rainbow flew up a good distance.

"Ohhh, this one's a doosy! And it's waiting..." Pinkie took a quick moment to look about the area "... just outside the Crystal Spire!" she informed ecstatically, pointing a hoof to the spire in question, hopping up and down.

"Well, whaddya think's happenin', Twi?" Applejack asked as the group calmed down after Pinkie's apparent warning.

"Honestly, I have no idea. I spoke to Cadance just yesterday. If there was something worth sharing, she would've told me via letter. C'mon, girls. For all we know she could be in trouble." and with that, the group quickened their pace to a trot.

XXXXX

Eventually, the parade led back to the Crystal Spire where they were escorted back inside. By Cadance's persistent request, Shining headed to their bedroom to get ready for the fair, giving Blueblood silence to ask questions as brother and sister stood together at the castle's entrance. "So I've arrived just in time for a celebration, apparently. What exactly is it the Crystal Empire is celebrating, if I may ask?" he asked, casting a glance over at Cadance.

"We're celebrating our fourth anniversary of discovering and freeing the Crystal Empire. From the evil King Sombra." Cadence added, knowing Blueblood would ask.

"Care to explain?" Blueblood asked, looking over to her.

"A thousand years ago, he enslaved the populace and took over the city, but Aunty Celestia and Luna stepped in and imprisoned him, but not before he put a curse on the city, causing it and the crystal ponies to vanish for a thousand years. A few years ago, it reappeared along with Sombra, and so Shining, me, and the Elements of Harmony were sent to defend the city. When Sombra was defeated, all that was left was his horn." Cadence explained, making Blueblood raise a curious eyebrow.

"And so the populace chose you two as their new leader." a nod from Cadence assured him as they took in the afternoon sun from the entrance of the Crystal Spire. "But getting back to the celebration, I should get going soon. You have a lot more important things to do than talking to me." that caught Cadance completely off guard.

"Don't say that, Blueblood. Of course you're important! You're always worth my time." Cadance stated.

"As foals, I wasn't. What with you and Shining Armor galloping off into the sunset every night. And it stayed that way for a while." he reminded. There was no malice in his words, but a subdued sadness. He didn't know where it came from, but it felt right at the moment to get off his chest.

"I was busy, Blueblood. I always had to foalsit Twilight along with learning how to become a princess. And Shining was busy training in the royal guard. We barely had time for each other over the years." Cadance said with genuine sincerity with the hopes that her brother would understand. Blueblood breathed a deep sigh, but nodded, nonetheless.

"I still don't think Shining deserves you." Blueblood muttered, glancing down at the crystal floors.

Now it was Cadance's turn to sigh. "Blueblood, I can't stress to you how much that I love Shining Armor. I wouldn't trade him for the world, and you should know that." Blueblood could pick up on the lecturing tone that made its way into that last sentence. "Please understand that there's some things you just can't change."

"Trust me, I know. It's merely my opinion, I'll just live with it. Besides, it's been that way since we grew up." Blueblood concluded, straightening up and facing forward again. "I don't like it, but for truth, as long as you're happy, I'll live with it."

Cadance's expression brightened up again, happy that he was able to put it to rest. And on his own, no less. "That's very noble of you, Blueblood. Speaking of moving forward, what are you going to do now that you're back in Equestria, if you don't mind me asking?" Cadance asked, her interest peaking again.

"Well, now that I've had the pleasure of talking to you again, I suppose I'll be heading for Canterlot now. I'd like to make it there before word of me does. Hopefully, I can still get a big welcome. After that, I'll go right my wrongs. The fair sounds like fun, but parties and games can wait until after some much-needed rest." Blueblood admitted.

Cadance nodded with a sisterly smile. "I understand completely. I'm sure auntie will miss you as much as I did. But are you sure you don't want to stick around for something to eat or drink, at least? You must be famished after that long trip." Cadance figured. Blueblood shook his head, but smiled, waving a hoof.

"I'll manage. A big meal seems more fitting once I'm back home with Aunty." Blueblood replied. "You yourself should go get ready for the fair. I'm sure your... fiance is waiting for you." Blueblood reminded begrudgingly as he stood up, preparing to finish the rest of his trip back.

But before he could take his leave, he was enveloped in Cadance's embrace once more, feeling the soft fur of her cheek nuzzling up against the fluff of his own. "Please be safe, brother." the sheer emotion in her voice alone was enough to make his eyes grow hot.

"I will. I'll write when I get the chance." Blueblood assured as the pink princess finally broke her embrace. "Until then." and with that, Blueblood headed off back into the city, waving back at Cadance before the princess turned tail and headed back into the palace. Now by himself, Blueblood set course towards the train station...

... until he heard his name so excitedly announced.

"That's it! Blueblood! He's the doosie!" Blueblood lowered his head, scanning the area to find an excited pink mare hopping up and down, pointing a hoof straight at him, followed by the other Elements of Harmony as they rounded a street corner. He felt his breath get hitched in his throat as he recognized the bunch, namely the orange farm mare and the rainbow-maned pegasus. Applejack and Rainbow Dash, wasn't it? Blueblood ignored the off instinct to turn tail, taking note the fruitlessness of trying to ignore a pegasus or a unicorn as decorated as his sister-in-law. That realisation alone did aught to calm him as he straightened up, approached by the group, no doubt Applejack and Rainbow Dash first.

"By Blueblood, ya mean that no-good, un-gentlecolt-like snob that insulted ma food at the Gala?" with every insult spewed forth from Applejack's mouth, she closed in on Blueblood until they were snout to snout, her honest-to-truth glare trained on nothing but him.

"And the one the that was a total nutjob to Rarity for the whole entire party?" Rainbow added, butting in to take Applejack's place at pressing her snout to Blueblood's. Whether it be Applejack or Rainbow Dash, however, Blueblood didn't move an inch, regardless of how much the pegasus or the farm mare pushed against him.

"Yup! That's the one! And look! He's all big and mature now!" Pinkie exclaimed, reappearing on top of Blueblood's back messing with his grown-out mane.

"Girls, please." Rarity spoke up, pulling her friends back with her magic before walking over to Blueblood, standing across from him. "Prince Blueblood had long since apologized for that incident during the launching of an airship. Why, he even let me cut the ribbon!" Rarity's hearty explanation served to calm Rainbow down but Applejack's glare was still strong and trained on him.

"But that still don't excuse all those hurtful insults towards mine an Granny Smith's cookin'!" the farm mare pointed out, pointing an accusing hoof at the stallion. Rarity was about to speak up again in Blueblood's defense, but a hoof from the stallion in question stopped her, keeping her silent.

With a sincere frown, Blueblood looked towards the farm mare and spoke his mind. "Applejack... there's no excuse for my uncouth behavior during the Grand Galloping Gala, whether it be my manners towards Rarity or my petty insults towards your dishes. I can only hope for forgiveness when I say I apologize for the insults and any trouble it might have bought you." Applejack racked her mind for a response, and if her dropped jaw was anything to go by, she was absolutely, positively, and utterly speechless. So was Rainbow Dash and Twilight, who kept silent with Fluttershy during the whole confrontation. Pinkie was jumping up in silent cheers for Blueblood, and Rarity had a proud smile of admiration. The fashionista put a hoof to her mouth to stifle a giggle at her friends' expressions before she proceeded to prevent the awkward silence.

"Well Blueblood, it has been quite the treat to run into you again after all this time, as well as seeing you so different and matured. But alas, the girls and I must get to the Crystal Spire and help Princess Cadance get ready for the fair. I do hope our paths cross again soon, but until then, I speak for all of us when I say farewell." Rarity spoke, walking past Blueblood, but as her face passed his, she stopped. "I'd like a dance whenever possible to... cement our friendship." motioning with her head for the others to follow. The girls followed suite, and Blueblood watched them go inside the spire until he realized Twilight was still standing across from him.

"You girls go on ahead. I'll catch up in a minute." Twilight called to the group before she and Blueblood caught gazes. It didn't take long for Blueblood to take notice of the pair of wings adorning his sister-in-law's back. But instead of a jaw-drop of surprise. as Twilight expected, Blueblood simply smiled.

"So the rumors I heard in the griffon kingdom are true; Equestria does have a fourth princess. I must say congratulations." Blueblood spoke with a good deal of admiration. Twilight just gave a shy smile, nervously rubbing the back of her head. She fumbled for words, but Blueblood already ahead of her. "No need to thank me, I'm sure you've earned it. If Aunty thinks you're worthy, so do I, and I'm one to talk about being royalty. What did you want to talk to me about?"

Straightening herself out, the princess cleared her throat. "Well Blueblood, you've been gone for such a long time, and from what Rarity told me after you left, I realized that you've changed a lot as a pony." Twilight explained. "I've just been wondering your reasons for all this."

Blueblood stared at the ground for a moment, gathering his thoughts. "Well, long story short, before I made the decision to leave, Aunty finally told me she was proud of me for something I did by myself. After that, I took a good look at myself and thought I wasn't worthy of what I was given as Cadance's sister or Aunty Celestia's nephew. After that, I left and thought; perhaps one day, Blueblood could return and maybe be worthy of the title of Prince or my part in the royal family. You yourself are certainly worthy." he pointed out, making Twilight look down, her cheeks flushing a light shade of pink.

"Oh, stop. You're back now, Blueblood. So do you feel like you're worthy now?" Twilight asked, affirmed by Blueblood's nod.

"It's been a long time coming, and I feel as good as I can be. There won't be a better Blueblood than this one." Blueblood stated with a proud sense of finality.

"That remains to be seen. So I guess you're headed for Canterlot?" Twilight asked.

Blueblood nodded again. "I'd like to get there before word of my return does, so I look forward to seeing you at more opportune times in the future, sister. But right now, we both have important places to be." and with that, the two exchanged goodbyes and headed their separate ways. Alone again, Blueblood made his way back out of the Crystal Empire the way he came and towards the train station waiting just outside the entrance.

There was still a ways to go.

Author's Note:

And done. Chapter 3, signed and sealed.

I planned on making Blueblood's talk with Cadance more... emotional, but it's far too early in the story for that level of drama. At least, in my opinion.