• Published 6th Jul 2014
  • 3,737 Views, 94 Comments

Redemption - Mystic_Knightwolf



Years after his departure to become a better pony, Prince Blueblood returns to a different Equestria with the goal of atonement in mind.

  • ...
11
 94
 3,737

Chapter 13: The Party

Redemption

Chapter 13: The Party

The sun began to set.

Afternoon made way for evening, and the blue sky dimmed to an orange sunset, giving rise to the moon, and with it, Luna. With her symbol of her affinity displayed high in the sky, the princess of the night retreated into her chambers from the balcony to get dressed for the party already well underway.

Honestly, any dress in her wardrobe was more than enough for a welcoming party, as they were made by the lovely Rarity, though there weren't many. But Celestia was rather adamant on wearing something formal for her little colt's party.

She huffed at that. "I don't see how an event such as this would warrant the need for formal attire..."

"Trixie wouldn't hold it above ponies in Canterlot to try to become the bell of the ball." Luna looked away from her giant open closet to see her disciple walking in, adorned in a comfortable moon-themed midnight blue dress, complete with crescent sapphire earrings and a matching jeweled headpiece. "But in truth, why would it be a bad thing? Would it not be nice to see Fancy Pants again in his signature tuxedo?" the cyan princess' grin widened at her tutor's own badly hidden grin.

"Oh alright, you make your point, Trixie." the princess of the night relented, willing a respectable full moon dress out of er closet and onto her being.

"A full moon? Trying to outshine Trixie, are you?" that got Luna's attention.

"Oh Trixie..." Luna began, shaking her head in mock disappointment before turning to face her disciple. "... you know I'd never try to outshine you!" she chuckled, walking past the lighter mare with a grin. "I don't need to."

The expression was reciprocated by Trixie with a grin of her own. "Oh, is that a fact? You mean to outshine me with as much light stolen from your sister's sun as possible?"

"You say that like you do represent the moon!" Luna argued as the two make it down the moonlit hallways. "I don't see you raising it every night. Or living on it."

"Taking out that thousand years of frustration out on Trixie, are you?" the unicorn challenged. "Forgive her for at least trying to better herself." the sarcasm was thick and rich enough to be cut with a knife.

"Are you insinuating that I, Luna, Princess of the night and all it represents, unlike you, wallow in defeat and self pity?" the incredulous edge in her voice was as thick as the sarcasm. "If you're looking for pity, look no further than a unicorn using magic at a magic show! Ha ha ha ha!" it was hard to tell if that laugh was real or sarcastic.

"If you're looking for defeat, look at your battle with Twilight and her friends or Celestia! Honestly, you let it happen!"

"Oh! You're talking about Nightmare Moon, somepony else. But while we're on the subject of being beaten by ponies, rather a single pony, perhaps I could retrieve Twilight for you? Make two losses into three? Or was it three into four, what with that little sparring match before your coronation?" by this point, the princess of the night was grinning ear-to-ear.

"You truly are the best." Trixie bumped her flank against Luna as they proceeded down the long hallway.

"Baby, you know it." Luna said with a smirk, doing the same.

XXXXX

"Ah, Luna! Trixie! You're just in time." Celestia spoke up as she and Twilight were approached by the two. "For a welcoming party, this event has certainly garnered a lot of attention, wouldn't you say?"

"All of the princesses and the elements in one place? How could this event not attract attention?" Luna reasoned, standing by her sister, overlooking the newcomers as they came. Save for a very select few, it came as no surprise that Luna had little to no patience for the snobbish and supercilious ponies that comprised the majority of Canterlot's elite, and even just getting here, seeing them pour in slowly but surely dropped her mood.

Seeing this, Celestia leaned over to her sister to offer encouragement. "Cheer up, Luna. Perhaps Fancy Pants might come and sweep you off your hooves?"

"I doubt even the likeness of him could do anything to lighten the mood. If we weren't on this raised stage, we'd likely be swarmed by greetings and audiences, nevermind whom this event is actually for." Luna rolled her eyes at the prospect. "It'd certainly be a disheartening sight to see Blueblood overshadowed at his own party."

"Good point." Celestia surmised, meeting eyes with a few of the particularly renowned members of Canterlot's upper crust. And the sight of them idly biding their time at some of the festivities, circling almost like vultures, was a laughable one indeed. So much so, she had to raise a hoof to her mouth to stifle a fit of uncontrollable giggles.

Trixie scoffed. "They circle like vultures." Such a comment bought out a burst of loud, unshameful, but clearly deliberate laughter from Luna, that attracted the attention of quite a few partygoers. But she didn't care.

While the sisters were trying to make light of a bleak situation, Twilight and Trixie decided to get together and wandered off, and after a brief safari of poofy dresses, greetings, and hoof-kissing, they found themselves over by the snack table where Twilight's other friends were currently located. The girls were all gathered together, seemingly passing the time until something interesting happened while Spike was busy eating all the horderves, plucking them one by one, making a sizable pile of toothpicks.

"Well if it ain't Twa'light an' Trixie! 'Bout time ya'll decided ta show up!" Applejack called out, being the first of the group to notice. Immediately, the other girls followed suite, moving in to greet the duo.

"Finally! I was getting sooooo bored!"

"I'm with Pinkie Pie. This place is in dire need of excitement!"

"Hiya girls. I'm so glad you're not too busy."

"Quite right, Fluttershy. There's so little to do at the moment. Either way, it's great to get back together, even if after just a few days."

Twilight chuckled, nervously rubbing the back of her head. "Yeah, sorry girls. With Blueblood back, I was set on getting to know him, now that he's my brother-in-law." she explained.

"Can't fault ya fer that!" Applejack assured, walking up to place a friendly hoof on her friend's shoulder. "Especially considerin' he's a gentlecolt now!"

"He does make quite the duelist, if Trixie does say so herself." the blue princess spoke up.

"Speaking of Prince Blueblood, might either of you know when he's due to arrive? I believe he owes me a dance." Rarity wondered, poofing her mane with her hoof.

"Well, ah don't know about the dancin' part, but if yer lookin' fer Blueblood, then look no further." the farmpony advised, pointing a hoof to the stage as the lights dimmed down.

"Good evening, friends and partygoers!"

XXXXX

"That's our cue, gentlecolts." Blueblood proposed, readjusting the rosehead on his chest as he could hear his auntie Celestia giving her speech. Looking back to his two guards, both dressed in custom tuxedos, he gave them a grin. "Last check. Are you both ready?"

"Yes sir!"

"Tuxedos comfortable?"

"Yes sir!"

"Collars properly adjusted?"

"Correctamundo!"

"Good!" he exclaimed, turning back to the door leaning to the dining hall. He gave a knock on it, and received one in turn from the other side. "It's showtime."

XXXXX

"Ladies and gentlecolts! Coming back to Equestria! Back to us! We welcome with open hooves and open hearts, Prince Blueblood!" Celestia's announcement was immediately followed by the cheers of an excited crowd as the red carpet was rolled out and the large double doors opened.

In stepped two immaculately dressed royal guards, taking up residence on either side of the opened doors With a stamp of their hooves to signal that they've taken post, Blueblood himself proceeded to step forth into the spotlight. 'Ooh's and 'Aah's of fascination washed over the crowd as Blueblood made his way down the aisle, especially from the mares he had already passed. The aisle of ponies closed in his wake as he made his way towards the stage, and as he ascended the stairs to join his aunts up top, he exchanged greeting hugs before turning to the crowd.

"Good evening, partygoers and and in a few cases, esteemed guests..." he began, his gaze offhoofedly landing on Twilight and her friends. "Today, my friends and family have been gracious and considerate enough to welcome me back to Equestria after five long years away with this momentous occasion. I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss Canterlot and its residents, years running around with griffons, dragons, and zebras will do that to a pony. But I won't keep you waiting. Whether you're a friendly pony who put time aside to join us tonight, or just an important pony gathering here with your fellow elite, I'd like to thank you for your time and your consideration. Now, the night is young, the wine is fresh, and the Prince has returned!" with that, the music picked back up again, the lights came back on, and the party was now in full swing.

Needless to say, Blueblood was swarmed by ponies. Out of the ponies who ran over each other to get his attention -a lot of the heat was taken off him thankfully- most of them were mares who tried to flirt with him.

A few were like shy schoolfillies. "Prince Blueblood, I-I never noticed until now just how... handsome you are." Adorable, but he's just not the one...

One tried the bold approach. "Blueblood, I'm not gonna beat around the bush, your flank is to die for." Ah Fleetfoot. He actually considered it...

But this was, of course, Canterlot, and the majority were something along the lines of "Ah, Prince Bluebood! You simply must join me sometime at..." he'd already lost interest.

However, despite the opposition, there was one Canterlot mare he most certainly did respond to. Seeing her greeting smile through the crowd, the pale prince smiled back and made his way over to them, through the crowd of rambling crowd. "At this rate, I thought you'd still be stuck at the front door." he laughed, making it to Fleur, and surprisingly enough, she was alone. But that gave Blueblood food for thought to admire the mare's choice of attire. As if Fleur wasn't already the envy of Canterlot without anything on, her dress accented all that already made her that way. Long and elegantly decorated white dress socks covered her legs, complimented with light pink hoofshoes. Instead of the giant poofy dresses large enough to easily hide a filly in, Fleur was conned in a stunning high-cut silk gown, cut just high enough to catch a glimpse of her cutie mark. The upper portion hugged her body down to the last inch. Her waist was sculpted in such perfection, it gave even her aunt and her sister a run for their money, and her barrel ans shoulders also showed off some tone of their own.

But before he could take any more of her in, "It was certainly a venture to get here, mon'amie. Especially with de rest of Canterlot's elite to find space away from." the mare in question replied after meeting him for a greeting hug, which he didn't hesitate to return.

After they broke, he smirked. "I must admit, one of them, I did consider entertaining."

"Was it Fleetfoot? Her personality is certainly... interesting. But why not set your sights a little higher? Perhaps Spitfire? I would certainly like to see you work your magic on a mare such as her."

Blueblood shook his head with a smile. "'Fraid not. There's one mare who's at the very top. By a wide margin."

"Oh? And she wouldn't happen to be dis one be-autiful mare with a lovely Prench accent, would she?" how she delivered it, from those dreamy, half-lidded eyes to the knowing and playful tone, it nearly made the prince shudder. Her gradually lowered voice, as well as her head leaning ever-so-closer, not to mention the thought of innumerable eyes on them just egged him on.

So he leaned in himself. "What if I were to say-"

"Ah! Nephew!" Blueblood probably sighed his deepest sigh ever, much to Fleur's unhindered amusement, before he turned to face his aunt Luna, who stood oh so prominently beside Fancy Pants. Despite her brazen attitude, she knew exactly what she was doing. "I believe this is what many would call a... double date?"

"Well Auntie, stallionhandle it in such a way and yes, I'd call it such." the pale prince did little to hide his irritation, and it only intensified with the amount of laughs that came out of it, whether from Luna herself, Fancy, who he greeted with a nod, Fleur, who consoled him with a hoof on his back, or onlookers. He could hear Rainbow Dash's scratchy voice in a laughing fit.

The pale prince groaned, massaging the bridge of his snout with his hoof. He contemplated fleeing to the Sanctuary, maybe look over his souvenirs again, or maybe take his titanium armor out for a spin, but he decided against, mostly out of courtesy in staying at his own party. Can't just leave because his aunt wants to mess with him. But seeing his lasting mood, Luna's smile dropped to a sad one as she approached, Fleur giving the two some space. "Nephew..." she beckoned, raising a hoof towards him. He looked up towards her, still irritated, but ready to listen. "I... do not mean any ill will towards you in doing... that."

"I know. It's fine." Blueblood sighed in assurance, picking his demeanor back up. "You're just... having fun." he surmised. He glanced at Fleur, who just gave an apologetic smile and a nod that assured him that nothing was wrong. Then back to Luna, who's smile dropped.

"No nephew, it's not." Blueblood noticed the commotion around them cease. He looked to see a soundproof bubble around them, courtesy of Luna's magic. "You're clearly irritated. Even after the fact." it was a true statement, though Blueblood did began to feel defensive. But he pushed those thoughts to the back of his head.

"It wouldn't have been a problem if I-"

"Nephew." she blatantly cut him off. "I only knew you for so long. That's not your fault so much as it is mine. But even so, I see that you have trouble in speaking up for yourself." Luna pointed out before moving to stand directly in front of him. "You were offended, were you not? Be honest." he slowly nodded. "And that's perfectly fine! I stopped you from romancing your mare, and you have every right to be! Don't take that lying down, nephew!"

"Then what do I tell you then, Auntie? You hurt my feelings, so knock it off?! Retort back with a snappy comment?!" Blueblood snapped. He couldn't imagine himself ever going back to anything near his old self. He made it a point to change and never go back. The mere thought of it made him adverse to the suggestion.

"Yes! That is exactly what you should be telling me!!!" she roared in her Royal Canterlot Voice, with a stone-cracking stamp of her hoof, but seeing her shielded nephew, Luna relented and sighed afterwards. "I'm sure you're aware there's many ways to deal with speaking up. I was actually looking forward to banter with you, what with us both being with our special someponies. I never expected you to... just take it."

"You're my aunt. My family. I'd never live with myself if I was anything like the old me towards any of you. If you didn't kill me first."

The princess scoffed. "That's what being family is all about! You think me and Celestia got along all the time? Or me and Cadence? Even she and Twilight has disagreements! Or me and Trixie! Thing is, don't let fear of disapproval get in your way, and don't let it bring you down. It's part of life. And any decent pony won't let you admitting you're hurt get in the way of their relationship with you. If somepony is bothering you, then let them know! The last thing I wanted to do tonight is upset you."

Blueblood could feel a tight knot in his stomach. Over time, he had gotten used to always being the one to reach out to others. So much so, he entirely forgot what it was like for someone to reach out and try to understand him. The realization of that just bought forth a wave of emotion in him. He could already feel his eyes getting hot. "Okay." he said with a nod. "I'll... work on it."

"That's all I can ask for." the princess of the night concluded, wrapping her nephew up in a hoof, Blueblood doing the same as the bubble dissipated. After separating, Luna wasted immediately no time in barking down the crowd away from their family moment before going off again with Fancy Pants.

Blueblood's humored chuckle at the spectacle was ceased by Fleur as she rejoined him by his side. "Blueblood." both ponies looked behind them to see Rarity trotting up to them. Exchanging a greeting hug with Fleur, the fashionista turned to him with a smirk. "Remember that request of mine back at the Crystal Empire?"

Blueblood sighed for the umpteenth time that night.

Author's Note:

You know, with the argument part of the chapter, the more I wrote it, the more it related to me. It even got to the point that's exactly my same boat! Huh. I guess I'm Blueblood! :D

Anywho, I hope you enjoyed this momentous moment, and I'll see you soon!

P.S. Holy crap, it got featured!