• Published 29th Jun 2014
  • 4,931 Views, 161 Comments

Chassis - LoosePartyCannon



After a squad of highly trained Chassis pilots are scattered across a war torn planet known as Equis how will their unexpected arrival shape the outcome of Equis's first World War?

  • ...
19
 161
 4,931

Evening the playing field

Author's Note:

...Been awhile huh? Testing the waters with this chapter. Could be subject to rewrite or scrapped entirely. Unedited, but will be edited soon. Expect the return of my favorite bug waifu and my favorite cyborg soon.

-LPC, the REAL Slim Shady.

Esther
The Oracles tent

There we were. Me, dumbstruck and confused, her, sipping tea and smiling contently. I refused to believe she was omnipotent or whatever primitive leaders like to think they are...But what she just said was too personal for it to just be sheer luck that she guessed my appearance and reason to being here.

"...Please drink up dear, the tea will go cold." She said with a smile like she hadn't just fucked with my mind.

"How? How did you know all that?" I asked, trying to sound as calm and collected as I could. She chuckled a little, took a big drink from her steaming tea and daintily placed it on her table.

"Well, I'm not god-like or all knowing as some of my followers would have you believe. I can't tell you how I have my powers, it would take far too long and I doubt you know enough about magic to understand my words, but my ancestors have been the vanguards of this tribe's ultimate power. The past of this planet is engraved in my mind like a well-read story, and the future is always changing. I see possible outcomes and assume which path we shall take. As to how I know you, Esther...People, regardless of race, radiate an 'aura' of sorts. This aura is you, everything you are and everything you've done. I know the pain you've been through Esther but I also know the joy and wonder you've felt in your life.Yes, I'm familiar with you, but I know nothing of the cosmos outside of your own emotions and thoughts." She informed me, using clearly dumbed down words and easy to understand phrases. I still wanted to believe she was a lying scumbag who happened to be really good at guessing...But she was too precise to have made up chunks of my past.

"Alright...So...Assuming your some kind of psychic, which is an assumption full of holes and possible lies, why did you bring me here?" I asked, still skeptical. She began to drop a few cubes of sugar in her drink with a sad smile on her face.

"I didn't bring you here to this planet, the gods and destiny deemed it was time to show their hand, but I did decide to search for someone like you, yes...I propose a trade." She clarified, taking another drink from her tea. I knew it, all these so-called native 'gods' were just opportunists looking to swindle more people.

"Alright, what do you want?" I asked with a sign, expecting her to ask for my Chassis or my servitude.

"Save us, and we'll help you save everyone..." She begged, finally dropping her facade and showing a grim, somewhat scared face.

"...What?"

"My power is a haunting one Esther, I can see where our lives are heading, and in a few moments our lives might become very...Bleak. This village will soon be assaulted by a neighboring tribe who believe that by killing me their leader will gain my powers, he is wrong and horribly short sighted, but that's besides the point. My soldiers are determined, fierce and righteous, but their numbers are too few and our villages defenses won't hold out against the machines of war they're bringing. Vale is many things, but never unprepared, I always liked that about him..." She informed me quickly while refusing to break eye contact, despite my head being protected by an opaque and armoured helmet, before drifting off into what sounds like nostalgia.

"So, you want me to take this Vale out?" I asked, not liking anything about this offer.

"If he surrenders then let him live, but it is kill or be killed tonight Esther. You alone could thwart most of the monsters and tyrants that roam this world with your creation, but an army of his size...Even with your colossal machine...The odds are against you. Yes, I could be wrong and you could very well remain unharmed and walk away safely, but you would leave us all to die. So, I propose that you stand with my small army and push back the approaching barbarians and in exchange, I'll give you guidance, a path to travel and the provisions necessary to survive the coming trials. I don't want your tools of destruction, your knowledge, you to stay or to understand your way of life, I simply wish to live." She told me with a cold tone of voice and a stern expression. She almost sounded regretful by the end of her little rant.

"And how do I know this isn't your fault? What if you brought this all on yourself." I retorted with suspicion. Too many times someone had tried to trick me into solving or hiding their crimes, it never ended well for those who deceive me.

"If it was my fault an antagonist tribe led by a mad man was trying to murder me, I think they'd have already struck. The only reason they've taken so long is they didn't think I'd see their arrival...They're not the smartest barbarians...If I had invited their invasion in someway I would throw myself on their blades to spare my people, but they're the only ones alive who are to blame for their actions...If you decide I'm nefarious in anyway during your stay here, then by all means, strike me down." She said with a slight hint of humor and a smile, making her last sentence disturbingly cheerful sounding.

"Most people fear death."

"Well, you and I aren't like most people, are we? At the end of the day, we will still be attacked and people will die, you have the power to decide who falls tonight. Vale won't back down easily, he's quite determined after all, if you plan to end this skirmish quickly, then you'll have to crush him completely...Esther, I'll understand if you do, but try not to kill him...I have very few people I once called friends left in this world." She requested, her expression unreadable...I had no idea what had happened in her life, but clearly their was more to this story then she was telling me.

"Before I agree to anything I need to know, can you help me find my crew?" I asked, if she had seen my past experiences then she must have seen my latest downfall.

"...Yes." She said, almost hesitantly. Before we could continue, one of the many radiant armour wearing natives burst into the room, weapons in hand.

"Your Grace, Vale and his horde approach, it is just as you predicted!" As he finished shouting his news, I saw Ovid barge in. He looked ready with his granite ax and shield prepared to taste blood.

"Charon, the village's forces are standing by for command and Enyo is helping the children, elderly and ill hide at the moment. Your orders?" He requested, bowing his head slightly in the presence of his leader.

"Well...That depends; Esther, what will you do?" The Priestess Charon asked, causing everyone to look at me. Ovid seemed to be holding back his excitement at the possibility of seeing me in action.

"I'll defend this village, in exchange you help me find my missing team." I said simply, siding with the only allies I had. Charon merely smiled and Ovid cheered in happiness.

"Charon, what will you have us do?" The guard asked, his voice sounding much more relieved.

"Guard, you and your brothers in arms will assist Ovid and Enyo in warding off the interlopers. I get the feeling that Esther here will be a worthy boon to your forces." Charon said with a smile as she walked to the other side of the room, where her opulent bed rested.

"B-But who will protect you?" The guard stuttered as Charon pulled a large, long, rectangular box out from under her bed.

"I'm sure only a handful could possibly make it here, and if they do..." She punctured her sentence by pulling out a long, crystalline spear that seemed to reflect light and colour all around the room. It's multi-coloured head so sharp it could rend metal as easily as flesh and the following red war banner turned into a grip around the spears shaft flew like a flag. "...They'll be eager to flee."

"Your the boss for a reason Char, come now Esther, we've work to do and guests to greet." Ovid said with a mighty bellowing laugh of determination. The guard was flustered by how casually Ovid treated Charon, but seemed more in awe at the sight of the long, most-likely destructive spear.

"Good luck Ovid, don't do anything moronic." Charon said simply as she performed a few, skilled and precise thrusts with her spear.

"Me, moronic? You must be thinking of someone else Your Grace." He said as we left. The town was a hive of frenzied activity. Inside the wall near the great gates stood rows upon rows of armoured, bulky, well armed natives who seemed to be in the middle of some inspirational speech about gods, fate or whatever these natives believed in. They all cheered in tandem, like a soulful choir belting out a song of victory and battle. The streets were empty, sans the few possessions or rubbish dropped by people as they fled to the warm glow of safety within their hovels and huts. The walls were being climbed by what looked like archers equipped with the largest wooden bows I'd ever seen, easily the size of a small Human or Avian. Close to the town, covered by the veil of nature, rumbled the drums of war. All though I couldn't see them, I could damn well hear them. They marched to the beat of their hearts and in sync with their war cry. Their slow, tribal song was both melancholic, melodic and terrorizing all at once and sung in a voice no one else but me and the natives had ever heard. The ground seemed to quiver as they approached and animals fled their fearsome presence. Without sparing a second, I run down the hill while making sure to keep balance so as to not fall face first onto a jagged rock. As we ran down, Ovid filled me in on his plan of attack.

"Esther, while I and the bulk of our force advance on their support and long ranged soldiers you'll be attracting their attention and harassing their forces, keep them busy." He quickly instructed me. It was roughly what I would have suggested anyway, maybe he and his soldiers aren't as tactless as I thought.

"And what about Enyo and the townspeople?" I asked as we approached the base of the small mountain, and near the base still sat my immaculate Chassis.

"Ha, Enyo and her guards will stay behind and defend the town and Priestess, though I think Charon can defend herself, she's a fighter that one. Enyo believes their gonna try and sneak into the town and she's not one for being wrong...Most of the time. If the situation looks bad here, you can fall back and assist in the defense instead of the offense, no point in saving a village that's already been razed." He informed as we approached my Chassis. Nearing it, I activated it via the PDA in my suits left wrist and charged towards it. Sensing my presence, it knelt down and opened up, allowing me to jump inside and quickly take my position in its comfy, fake leather seat. The front of the mech closed with a hiss and snap. The machine came alive with a roaring hum, signalling the reactor waking up. Slowly, the inside of the Chassis was bathed in a cool, technological blue colour as screens came on showing the various crucial systems and body parts of the Chassis.

"Reactor: Minimum power output. Backup generators: Charging. Chassis armour: 90% intact. Chassis wiring and hardware:100% intact. Chassis weapon systems: Optimized and loaded. Good evening Squadron leader Esther Leonas, your Chassis is: Combat ready. Standing by for command. Alert, your flight module is: 50% finished repairing itself. Engineer attention necessary for extensive repairs. Small distance flight is: Possible." My Chassis notified me, it's mono-toned robotic voice echoing slightly in the small, confined cockpit. With the push of a few buttons and the flick of a few switches the Chassis' wings lit up, their pale blue light fading in and out.

"And it can fly! Tell me Esther, are all your war machines this daunting?" Ovid asked with a nervous chuckle. In a quick, almost human motion, I pulled my Multi-gun off my Chassis' back, engaging the machine gun function. With a loud click, the gun was ready to spew heated plasma rounds.

"No, they're usually more terrifying. Ovid, I have an idea..." I told him honestly as I readied my Chassis' flight mode and firearm.

Vale
Outskirts of the forest

"Chieftain, we're approaching the village. Their aware of our presence." One of my scouts informed me, her leather and cloth armour caked in dirt, blood and mud. She looked like she had fought off something, if the various cuts and scratches were anything to go by.

"Of course they are, Charon probably saw us coming a mile away...What happened to you Scout?" I asked curiously after muttering to myself. She seemed ragged and out of breath, almost quaking in fear.

"Those bastards must have spooked the wild life or something, we got swarmed by panicked manticores! We killed most of them but they got a few good swipes at us. We're still ready to fight with the army Sir." She said, determination and pride in her voice and a steeled look in her hazelnut eyes.

"Negative, you and your pack should stay behind and heal those wounds." I ordered as I surveyed my small, impromptu living quarters. The small, hide tent was meant only for planning and not for living in, thankfully we'd soon be behind Cre'te's walls were we could all get a proper nights rest in an actual house.

"Sir! I assure you we're willing to fight and ready!" She stated, clearly shocked at the idea of staying behind. Despite her gunho attitude, she was clearly wounded. Her blue hair was flecked by still warm blood, her black fur covered body, though muscular and toned, was clearly badly wounded with shallow yet painful wounds all over her. Her face, though still showing an expression of strength and willingness, was also tired and mud stained, ruining her white, tribal warrior markings that outlined her large eyes, large lips and cheeks. Her black, tight scout armour was in pieces. Her chestplate had a large indent over her abdomen, cut marks all over the leather plates covering her long arms, the hide boots and leather armour on her legs torn similarly. The only things that seemed intact were her obsidian shortswords, which were drenched in manticore blood. All though her spirit was willing, I had serious doubts about her body.

"Scout...I'm terribly sorry, what's your name?" I asked, somewhat embarrassed. As I asked I walked over to the other side of the tent and up to a big, wooden rack with my weapon of choice proudly displayed on it: the Blastcap.

"Hawk Sir." She answered quickly as I pulled my Blastcap off it's temporary home. What was once a simple, black log was transformed into a weapon of conquest. It had shinny, mithril handles and braces placed onto it's body, allowing any manticore to grasp it's cloth covered handles with ease. It's blunt, smashing side was capped with a large, mithril plate. Anything I bashed with this thing would loss a bone or two from the sheer force of the blow combined with the metal, reinforced cover. And, to top it off, the front of the cap was enchanted with some very volatile runes. Anything I hit would be greeted with a very...caustic reaction. The Blastcap was made of the wood, metals and runes of my home and it represented our strength and intelligence. Sure, it was pretty ugly, but not even a stone wall could withstand a few well placed whacks.

"Well Scout Hawk, your pride and determination is both admirable and quite shocking to me, but I believe in your current state, you won't last long and neither will your friends. You've fought off manticores, I think you've done enough for the warband. Please, go lie down and get some rest, we've few good scouts and beautiful women in my beloved army to simply throw them into the grinder." I said, finishing my last sentence with a flirtatious wink, her red blush and sputtering look exactly the response I wanted.

"S-Sir, but I-"

"I know, you don't want to let your sisters and brothers down. Trust me, I've felt that feeling before, but you'd be letting all of us down by throwing yourself on the enemies blade. Please Scout Hawk, stay behind and recuperate, you've done enough today." I saw as I walked up to her and looked her in the eyes, giving her a reassuring smile. She seemed both defeated yet relieved.

"...As you wish, Sir." She said simply as she turned around and left. As she left I began putting on my armour, but before she left she said one last thing to me.

"...Thanks, Sir."

"Don't mention it...Seriously, don't. I think the soldiers will laugh at me if they think I'm going soft, and we can't have that now can we?" I said with a small smile as she left with a slight chuckle. Turning back to my simple tent I walked over to my armour stand and put on my plated armour.

My armour was much more detailed then the usual gear worn by the more savage tribes. The brestplate was lined with plated steel armour painted with red and blue intertwining lines and the head of a hydra, the symbol of our tribe. My broad shoulders were protected by large, radiant pauldrons that connected to my armoured sleeves and gauntlets. My left arm though, was much more protected. Covered in large, shield like plates, I could block or shrug off almost any blow, the various scratches, indents and pierced holes a testament to how well the quasi shield worked. My legs were protected similarly, the various plates and chain mail underneath both my arms and legs only slightly hindering my movement. My hooves were protected by large, metal boots with points at the end. With enough force I could easily embed them in some poor saps chest cavity. My head was guarded by a large, mithrail helmet with a slit for my eyes, holes for my large, cracked, black horns and holes for me to breath through. The helmet was painted similarly to my own face, with lines under my eyes and swirling patterns around the side of my face. All in all, I was wearing something usually worn by great knights or warriors of legend, and I hope to count myself among said legends soon.

"Commander, your soldiers are ready to attack when you give the word, moral is high and we're ready to claim this island." My adviser said as he walked in, the little Earth Pony covered in similar, armour with a more golden and silver look to it with less tribal markings. He was a small, yet fierce guy. The man was half my size but my training partner and adviser rolled into one. He had a long, flowing bronze mane and pale silver fur all over his scrawny body. He was far from my stature yet he was damn near impossible to hit. His face was showing signs of age as he was nearing his late thirties, but his determined scowl, hardened eyes and small, almost pouting lips showed he was still pissed enough to fight. On his leather belt rested his silver, blessed longsword and on his back his mithrail kite shield proudly displaying the markings of our tribe: A large, painted on hydra head. His one golden eye shined with hope and zealous fury, his other covered by a black eye patch.

"That's wonderful Luster, heard any news from back home?" I asked him as I patted him on the back and left the tent and into the cold outdoors. Our camp was alive with the sound of last minute revelry. The berserkers were practicing or drinking to fuel their burning hate, the archers and spell casters were seated along the boarder of he forest and poised to attack anyone who charged us, our warriors were all singing along to the songs of our war band and my royal knights were polishing their collective weapons and humming along to the song song by our ancestors.

"Yes, fortunately, Daisy sends her love and hopes for our swift victory so she can give me a 'hero's welcome'...Her words not mine." He said. All though he tried to play it cool, he was clearly happy at the though of returning home.

"Ha, Don't worry Luster, soon we'll all be back and you can focus on being a family man." I said with a pat on his back. He seemed annoyed.

"Please don't say that, it's always the boyfriend who dies in war stories and I don't want that to happen, I've already lost one eye and I don't wanna lose the other because of jinxed words." He told me, buying into superstition.

"If anyone's dying today then it's them and not us." I said with a loud voice, causing a few of the nearby soldiers to cheer in agreement. As we approached the front of the camp, I watched my men and women gather in formation. There were possibly thousands of us, our numbers easily tripling theirs. Amongst our numbers we had blood thirsty berserkers, barely wearing any armour or clothing and boosting of what they'll do with their loot. Our archers and mages, the most calm and collected of our group, merely watched me with respect on their hooded faces. My warriors and knights, both wearing different kinds of armour and various weapons, either cried out my name or merely stood stock still in a sign of respect. My monster hunters and beastmasters stood towards the back, either ready to wipe out their animal guards or sic our own on them. And far in the back were my siege crews. Various, large, mobile bow like constructs stood ready, armed by ten or so men with large, soon-to-be flaming and explosive bolts ready to fire. And along with the demolition crew were firestarters, the crazy pyromancers we employed to burn down their defenses and the men who would soon be scaling their walls and defenses with their large, wooden ladders. We were a large, formidable force that had stopped tyrants and warlords in the past, but now we stood against a holy leader of our race...We loss today, we're labeled traitors in the annuals of history, but if we win...We go down as legends.

"Men, women, soldiers, friends...We stand against a threat unlike any we have ever faced...Charon the Oracle and her holy army. Their soldiers are strong and elite, their defenses tested and their resolve unflinching...But that has been said about most of our foes hasn't it? We, the Exiled Army, have proven ourselves in the baptizing fires of war countless times. Before the battle of the Blooded Coasts, we were seen as outcasts and criminals, before the siege of High Faie, we were seen as nomads, and before today, we were seen as the leaders of the Western Isles. Together, we've formed a war band unlike any the Minotuars have ever seen, nay, the world. Our strength is clad in steel, our magic tested by celestial flames, our arrow heads have flown through storm winds and hit their marks, we've shown the tribes that we are no simple horde of exiles and runts, we're the Western army, the Blood Stained War Band and the Crusaders of Mithrail! We've shown the Gods our zealous faith, and they have rewarded us with our own land to call home, our families and our life free of the threat of hostility and prejudice! We've shown the lawless our justice, the honourless our pride and the liars our truth! And today, we will show Charon and her pale, stone clad militia that WE ARE THE FURY AND MIGHT OF THE MINOTAURIAN PEOPLE! THEIR WALLS WILL SHATTER UNDER OUR ARROWS, THEIR PEOPLE WILL FALTER UNDER OUR STEEL AND THEIR FAITH WILL BE BROKEN BY OUR RESOLVE! WE ARE THE EXILES AND WE'RE NO ONES SLAVES! NOW STAND FIGHT WITH ME!" As I finished my invigorating and memorable speech by raising my blastcap in the air, the assembled army cheered in pride, fury and faith. In formation, with me and Luster leading the assembled forces, we marched through the remaining forest, leaving a token force behind to guard our hidden camp. In short time we had cleared the treeline and stood in the clearing surrounding Charon's town.

It was just like how I remembered it. The archaic stone wall that has stood the test of time remained in pristine condition, the simple town was filled with cheerful houses and quaint gardens, the only thing absent were the locals who would often rejoice in festivity come nightfall. Instead, in their place was a local garrison of paladins, archers, warriors and a handful of mages and monsters. Their holy force, though tiny, would still prove a worthy challenge and I and my men knew this. We watched as the great gate opened up with a loud scrapping noise as their soldiers poured out, armed to the teeth with stone, blunt weapons, metal armour and unquestionable faith. It almost wounded me to have to destroy such a radiant town...But they brought it on themselves...

"Luster, sound the horns of war." I ordered simply as Luster obeyed and raised a small, wooden instrumented with a large, open end to his mouth. With a large, hearty blow an earsplitting cry came out, signalling the beginning on the assault. With determination, we charged and cried out. The wolves and large, primal boars we'd gathered charged ahead of us, intent on feasting on our enemy. But, before we could clear half the distance, An awesome, thunderous roar pierced the calm night as a large, monstrous beast of metal crashed into the ground, purposefully stomping onto a pair of our wolves as it landed. It was surrounded by walls of metal, whatever kind I did not know, it's stained white and royal blue colouring could habe only been paint. It stood taller then any creature sans hydras, dragons and ursas, easily able to crush a minotaur. It had large, mechanical hands holding some kind of rectangular and oddly design club. On it's back glowed two, flickering magical wings that seemed to spark slightly, shooting off the occasional bolt of electricity. The things head was...Odd. It was angular and sharp with crystalline blue were it's eyes and nose should be and a large, jutting blade coming out of the forehead like an Alicorn's horn. All in all, it looked more like a helmet then a head. The thing moved with a slight, humming whir and it radiated a slight heat. This...Thing was clearly not Minotaurian in design...

"Hostiles, retreat and back down so Charon can peacefully end this confrontation. I, along with the many defenders of this town, will not hesitate to strike you down where you stand. This is your only warning, stand down." It said, a feminine voice calling out from inside it like a trapped soul. Whether it was the work of technomancers, golemancers or gods damn necromancers I wasn't scared. I'd come this far, I wasn't about to back down now.

"Charon's actions speak louder then her half-hearted words could ever, if you've aligned yourself with that harlot then their can be no peace between us Monster!" I roared in anger as my men and I charged. I heard a soft, almost sad sign escape from the machine before it readied it's weapon and pointed it at our army.

"Come on you metal bastard, show me what you got!" I jeered with a wicked grin as I lusted for the coming battle, eager to push this beast of steel to its limits.