• Published 9th Nov 2011
  • 4,396 Views, 117 Comments

The Wild Goose Chase - Theevina



Princess Celestia has a strange new mission for Twilight.

  • ...
4
 117
 4,396

8 - The World of Ice

The inside of the tent was oddly decorated, but it was probably suitable for the spirit of chaos. What shocked Twilight the most was the size. It looked like an entire apartment in here. But it also still looked like a tent. The walls were still made of fabric and eerie blue light reflecting off the snow from the winter wonderland outside faded through.

"How is it possible?"

"Magic... and a little bit of imagination. But it might be a little bit too advanced for you, I'm afraid. Even as the symbol of the element of magic, you're still just a unicorn." he lightly teased. "And, I'm sorry that you have to be here with me. I understand how it drains you of your magic. After all, I am an opposing force."

Twilight sat down on a sofa and shivered. It was frigid. She could see her breath in the air as little puffs of steam.

Discord spat flames into the fireplace to start it, but even that wouldn't be enough to provide enough light to see or enough heat to warm the tent to a comfortable temperature.

"Would you like a drink?" he asked her.

"No thank you." she smiled politely, fearing it would be turn out to be something weird.

"Are you sure?"

She hesitated for a moment and quickly remembered how cold she was. "Alright, sure." She gazed into the mesmerizing patterns in the golden flickering fire while he was away in the kitchen.

He returned to the main room in a minute and sat down beside her on the sofa, handing her the drink.

It was hot chocolate, rich and creamy, and the perfect warmth. He must have tried really hard to make this normal. That was nice of him. She thought. In fact, why am I not feeling uncomfortable being so close to him? Shouldn't I be wanted to get away from him?

For just a moment, their eyes met in the strange dim blue light. He was wearing his familiar sorrowful face. It was so sad that it hurt her deep inside her soul, making her feel even colder. She finished the drink, but still it wasn't enough to provide comfort.

"Discord... have you ever liked anyone before?"

"Well, I once dated a Windigo, but that didn't end well. She had a rather frosty personality."

She smiled. "That reminds me, I'm probably never going to sleep tonight."

"Ah, because you're too cold?" he inquired.

"Yeah, I wish I could do magic, that would help, but honestly I'll do anything to get warmer."

Discord looked conflicted like he was deciding whether or not he was going to do something, but it looked like he finally decided to do it in the end. He gently wrapped his arm around her. It surprised her, but it was warm and comforting, it was everything that she thought he could never be. Eventually, he put his other arm around her, and she raised her front hooves to embrace him in a hug. She was warm and safe in his arms and everything was alright. Everything was perfect.

Why am I doing this? She questioned herself. I don't even seem to care about what he did to Equestria or my friends. He has changed now. Being with him makes me happy. As impossible as it sounds, it's almost as if he is my...

She suddenly realized the truth and saw a spark in her eyes, a spark that came from within her. She felt the wonderful energy of magic returning to her body.

"...friend." she said the last word audibly.

"What was that?"

"Thank you," she said, "for being my friend."

He didn't respond; he didn't mock her for being right or even say a single word. They just continued hugging. It was so warm and peaceful.

She decided to let go, but he held on to her to keep her warm. She leaned her head against his shoulder and rested. "I know why you're so sad." she announced.

"Oh, and why is that?"

"Because this is your only chance to live your dream and gain your freedom. You're kind are all gone, aren't they?"

He sighed. "You're too smart, Twilight. Oh yes, the Draconequus went extinct when ponykind took over this world. I am the only one left. I am the immortal spirit of the chaos that was left behind, a remnant that symbolizes the past and maintains chaos. But eventually, I fear, even I might fade away."

"Don't say that..."

"But it's true! The princesses are doing their job too well. Soon I will have no purpose because harmony will engulf the entire world."

"But I won't let that happen to you, because you're my friend."

"I admire your determination, but even you can't stop the inevitable."

"But I could try..." she smiled smugly.

"Oh, you've tried something like that before. I've heard all about that Smarty Pants incident, and that's not the pony who you really are. As a symbol of an element of harmony, there is nothing you can do to help me. I am the enemy of your kind."

She felt sad for him, but didn't know what to say.

"And I've noticed that your magic has come back. I figured you were going to teleport back to Ponyville as soon as you got the chance."

"And leave you behind? No way! We have to find that goose, remember? I'm going to make sure you get your freedom."

"Thank you, Twilight."

The warmth was making her sleepy, and she calmly drifted away into the darkness.