• Published 28th Apr 2012
  • 8,153 Views, 311 Comments

Your Wings Were Made For Angels - Still Breeze



When the universe is in trouble, it's going to take more than the magic of friendship to save it.

  • ...
30
 311
 8,153

Oh, Those Summer Nights

Chapter 17: Oh, those Summer nights

It quickly became apparent that time was an expendable resource in Equestria. Days turned to weeks, weeks to months, and six of those months later, the ponies of Equestria found themselves at the rear end of summer, late August, pushing the boundaries of September and the back – breaking apple harvest that would soon follow. Though this was routine for Applejack and her family; her workload was her life, and she loved it, even if it meant bucking several thousand trees each day.

The blazing summer sun bore down on the seven ponies as they lie on their backs in a large circle atop a knoll in a clearing in Applejack’s orchard. The smell of cut grass wafted from somewhere in the nearby town of Ponyville, distant, yet distinct, exciting Twilight’s senses as she lay on the prickly grass, the likes of which needn’t be cut in Sweet Apple Acres: the ground was worn down to dirt around the orchard itself as the tanned Earth pony and her brother went about their rounds And any other patches of grass outsude of the cover of thr trees seemed to hold itself back somehow, as if the positive energy around the farm was keeping the grass perfect. It was peaceful up on the hill. Not a sound could be heard except for the gentle breeze caressing the many hundreds of trees, stirring up a flurry of hisses from the lush green leaves, the bright red orbs hanging from the branches swayed carelessly, ripening in the sun and eagerly waiting to be collected to spread their joy to ponies across the world.

“That one looks like a cupcake!” Yelled an excited Pinkie Pie, throwing her hoof to the heavens at an oddly shaped cloud drifting idly by.

“They all look like cupcakes to you, Pinkie…” Rainbow Dash said, following Pinkie’s hoof to, she must admit, a rather accurate representation of one of Pinkie Pie’s baked confectioneries.

Everypony laughed and the pink one reached for the last seasonal cupcake she had packed for their picnic. Once again, the colour composition was spot on for summer: A bright yellow frosting which could have been cast as a new substence on it’s own; nopony was sure whether something could be that yellow. The frosting had an overly sweet banana taste, yet was held back by the vibrant red sprinkles, each one bursting with a spicy chilli flavour. An unorthodox combination one had to admit… Nevertheless, a truly spellbinding concoction everypony who’s tongues were lucky enough to get a taste of instantly fell in love with. Drawing attention from near and far to sample the limited treats baked by the truly astounding mare who resided in an unsung town bustling with talent named ‘Ponyville’.

“How do they make the clouds different shapes, Rainbow?” Asked Cantor, rolling his eyes to the top of his head to look at the blue pegasus behind him, though when he saw she wasn’t catching his gaze, he returned his amber eyes to the sky.

“What?” The pegasus asked, sounding confused. “You mean you don’t know?”

“Well, no… I never went to... 'pegasus school', or whatever…” He answered, trying to sound as casual as possible.

Rainbow sighed. “The clouds are smashed together in a giant collider up in Cloudsdale, no real reason other than to decorate the sky…” She answered very matter-of-factly.

“I’ll have to get a tour one day…” Cantor decreed, eyeing a peculiar shaped cloud which resembled an outstretched hand.

The group lay there in the middle of the afternoon, soaking up the sun’s warm rays. Cantor hadn’t really anticipated just how good lying in the sun with his best friends could be. He always seemed to want to be doing something – anything – standing still was ridiculously boring. Though he wasn’t standing; he was laying. On his back, with the best circle of friends he could ask for, the gorgeous summer sun beating down upon his bare chest. The only sensation which could top that was curling up with these ponies under the shade of a tree on those really hot summer days. Peacefully dozing… Not a care in the world…

The alicorn sighed contently. His eyelids grew heavy. Once they fell closed, he had a tough time to get them opened again.

“It’s days like this…” Applejack started, speaking in a hushed tone around the stalk she gripped between her teeth, her Stetson pulled way over her face, allowing just enough room for the thin stem of timothy grass to poke out. “That make you love life…”

“Agreed…” Said Rarity, her eyes, like everypony else’s in the group were gently closed.

Twilight gave a light snort. “Hm. Rarity and Applejack agreeing on something…” The sleepy purple unicorn commented softly. “There’s a first…”

“Mind yer manners, Twi…” The orange pony replied in a soothed voice, the stalk of grass becoming lost in a serene smile.

Twilight, as well as the other ponies giggled to herself, everyone joined in, except Fluttershy, who had already fallen asleep.

Cantor knew he couldn’t stay awake for too much longer now – even if he wanted to, which he didn’t. As he slowly slipped away into the comfort of sleep, the last things he felt were the hot rays of light rubbing warmth into his fur, the gentle breeze ruffling his folded feathers and the softness of the checked cotton blanket his head rested on like a pillow. Eventually, sleep consumed him and he gratefully drifted off into total darkness, the soothing glow of Celestia’s sun still felt amongst the overwhelming feeling of serenity…

The drowsy alicorn awoke on his own terms. His eyes remained closed as his consciousness quickly came back. Two hours had passed in what seemed like two seconds, yet the sun’s warmth still caressed his body and lit a fire in his soul. He opened his eyes halfway to see an utterly perfect sight: Twilight had her head resting on the side of his chest, her eyes were shut and she was actually smiling whilst asleep, personifying tranquillity to a tee…

His ear turned behind his head, and the docile breathing of his five other friends were heard. With a smile, he let his eyes fall once more, returning his world to darkness. He felt rested, therefore had no intention to go back to sleep, his mind, however had different ideas, sending him straight back into unconsciousness nearly instantly as his eyelids dropped, once again being greeted by the soothing sensation of blissful sleep.




The next time he was awoken, the method used was a little less… ‘serene’ than the one before. He was brought back from the sleeping world by Twilight Sparkle propping herself up on his stomach, rubbing her eyes with the back of her hoof after her session. It sure was safe to say that there were worse ways to be woken up. How charming that he woke to two kinds of twilight; the one spanning the entire sky and the even more adorable spectacle leaning on his stomach, dreary eyed from her session of sleep.

“Well hello there, sleepyhead…” Said Cantor, causing the unicorn to gasp at the unexpected sound.

“Oh… Cantor…” She murmured, taking her hoof away from her eyes for just long enough to allow the couple a sweet moment of eye contact before she returned to rubbing her eyes.

“You’re so cute when you do that.” Said the stallion, observing the purple mare as if she were a tired little filly, disorientated and helpless after a nap.

Twilight responded with a cheery little smile which appeared just below her petite hoof.

Cantor cast his eyes to the blazing sky above, the wispy clouds were dark, transparent ghosts waiting to play in the coming night. The once blazing sun had dipped below the horizon, casting long shadows across the entire apple orchard, making the many thousands of trees blend together into the black mountains and valleys which made up the astounding horizon. The next thing he knew was Twilight Sparkle kissing him.

The gesture was unexpected, unprovoked, a surprise. Yet it certainly wasn’t dismissed… Twilight cupped her lips around Cantor’s mouth, her sweet breath filling him up, touching every sense the alicorn possessed. The smooth feeling was unending, unbreakable. The two ponies slowly caressed each other’s tongues in both of their mouths. After months of practice, both of them had gotten quite ‘accustomed’ to each other, began learning what the other desired, what made them complete.

Cantor brushed his tongue over Twilight’s back teeth, generating a giggle from the mare as she began to redden at the cheeks. His firm hooves massaged her small shoulders as his enormous wings wrapped tightly around her, squeezing her gently in a protective embrace. Twilight was far from idle, however, she gently made small circles around the base of Cantor’s horn with her hoof, causing him to shiver in delight as the entirety of his unicorn anatomy tingled dimly.

Twilight slowly pulled her hot lips away. She pressed her hooves into cantor’s strong shoulders and drew herself up enough so that her hair fell straight down, accentuating her glorious half – lidded eyes and tempting smile.

“Love you, Twi…” Whispered Cantor, his own serene smile reflected in the huge blacks of Twilight’s eyes.

“You tell me that every day…” She sighed.

“Well that’s because it’s true.” He replied, rubbing his wings along Twilight’s back and neck, smoothing down her navy mane with his silk like feathers.

The purple unicorn’s smile broadened to a grin. “I love you too, Cantor.” She said, closing her eyes, leaning forward and opening her mouth ever so slightly, inviting the stallion for another tantalising smooch.

“Awwww….” A soft little sound came from the right, like the cooing of a dove. The sound broke the lover’s trance and they simultaneously turned to the source of the noise. The ‘culprit’ happened to be a certain yellow pegasus, her hooves clasped over her mouth and a mighty blush across her entire face.

“I’m… so… sorry…” The little pegasus whimpered, realising that she had just disturbed an emotional moment between two of her best friends. Tears were brimming in her eyes as she squeaked more inaudible apologies.

“Fluttershy…” Said Cantor, looking at the mare with kind eyes. “It’s perfectly fine.” The stallion then turned back to The tender unicorn sat atop his chest. “After all…” He began alluringly, “There’s plenty more where that came from…”

His comment was met with a firm peck on his lips from Twilight, drawing yet another sigh of awe from Fluttershy.

“How uh… How are you and Big Mac doing, Fluttershy?” Asked Twilight before hastily adding “If you don’t mind me asking, of course…”

“Oh, not at all, Twilight. We um… Macky – I mean! – Big Macintosh and I are… doing fine…” She replied, blushing furiously and swapping her vision between the cuddling ponies and the still dozing Applejack.

Twilight and Cantor exchanged knowing glances before turning back to Fluttershy. “’Macky’, huh?” The white alicorn asked, playfully raising an eyebrow towards the pegasus. “What does he call you?”

The butter coloured mare chortled like a filly into her hoof before answering, her large blush refusing to go away. “He… He sometimes calls me ‘Flutters’, but… usually he just sticks with Fluttershy…” She said, her voice powerful, (for Fluttershy at least) as if the bravery of her stallion was inside her heart.

Fluttershy and Big Macintosh had become rather well acquainted at Cantor’s ‘welcome back’ party: finding out they had many things in common. Remembering a few months back, to when they had their first proper kiss, Fluttershy’s heart went into meltdown. She vividly remembered how utterly unexpectedly perfect it was: the pair were nestled snug inside her cottage, watching a crackling fire slowly burn through dim eyes. Fluttershy had stalled for time for far too long, receiving a sturdy, passionate kiss from the great red stallion when she had asked which type of cloud he preferred. This was the first time in her entire life she had been with anypony like this. Sure, she had kissed her friends before, but never like this… Never had she felt a feeling so undoubtedly right that with every fibre of her being, against all she knew about herself, she found herself pushing back with as much force as she could, knocking Big Mac onto his back. The pair did nothing else other than kiss the night away, Fluttershy, swept up in a whirlwind of love and affection found the new experience exhilarating, whilst at the same time very scary. But she sought safety and protection in Macintosh as much as Twilight found fascination and majesty within her stallion.

Though the pair had never bonded physically any more than the kisses, Fluttershy was satisfied enough by their regular evenings of love and late night candle lit dinners. However, the pressing matter of taking their relationship a step further was beginning to grate at her subconscious mind, and lately, barely a minute goes past without her wondering what it could possibly feel like to…

“T- Twilight, um… And Cantor…” The pegasus asked meekly, desperately rewording her question many, many times in her head as she waited for a response.

“Yes?” The two ponies answered in sync, sharing a quick, subtle glance at each other before returning their eyes to the shy pegasus who sat lazily on her rump atop the picnic blanket. By now, the sun had disappeared halfway below the horizon and was dying the sky a deeper and deeper shade of orange with every passing second.

“What’s… What does it… um… feel like?” She asked, not hiding her glowing blush, nor was she trying to hide the fact that the situation in hoof mattered a lot to her. She wanted to make her stallion happy, but she needed to know whether she wanted to get herself into something she possibly wouldn’t like.

“What does what feel like, Fluttershy?” Asked Cantor, still stroking his wings along Twilight’s back.

“Uhm……….” Fluttershy murmured, scooting towards the pair on her butt, being careful not to disturb the three other sleeping ponies, Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie. The speedy cyan pegasus had flown off unannounced sometime when they were all asleep. Presumably to get back to Scootaloo, who must’ve been wondering why her mother had been gone for so long.

Fluttershy brought her head as close to the two as she could without actually touching them. Cantor had to blow a strand of silky pink hair away from his nose before it made him sneeze. The meek pegasus edged closer, and then spoke the one short word which had been plaguing her mind for the past month.

“Sex…” She whispered. Even mentioning the word stirred up the many butterflies in her stomach. That word had been taunting her for so long now, and even though she was now the same colour in the facial department as her lover, Fluttershy felt great relief as she finally got it off her chest… So to speak…

Cantor and Twilight locked each other in an amused stare, wondering who should speak first.

“What do you mean:… ‘what does it feel like?'” Cantor asked, struggling to believe that the mare was still ‘pure’, especially after being deeply in love with Big Mac for getting on five months now.

“I mean… What does it feel like?…” Fluttershy repeated, being as outspoken as possible, trying not to sound nervous and it was working! The other two ponies hadn’t laughed at her like she thought they would! She felt a little pulse of confidence within herself at this fact, her heavy blush fading a little, yet still far from gone.

“Are um… Have you never... 'done it' before, Fluttershy?” Cantor asked, the thought of how shy she was labelled tipping his judgement to the now more likely outcome.

“No…” Fluttershy answered, sounding a little apologetic.

“Well it’s nothing to be scared about, sweetie…” Twilight said in a comforting tone. “Just think about how normal it is… Think about all of your animals doing it.”

“Though not at the same time, Fluttershy.” Cantor chimed in. “That’s a little weird.”

Twilight shot Cantor an icy stare. “What?” He asked.

“Remember that time you let me search your mind?” Asked the purple unicorn, still keeping her scowl up.

“Yeah…” Cantor answered, fearful as to where this conversation could lead.

“You’re hardly one to comment on ‘weird’…” She scolded. Cantor avoided her piercing eyesight and turned to watch the very tip of the sun drop below the horizon. “I found six fetishes in there.”

“Leave it, Twi…” Cantor laughed nervously.

“I thought you were scared of being strapped down-“

“Twilight…”

“Okay, okay…” The unicorn giggled, adding her own glowing face to the other two ponies around her.

“In all seriousness though, Fluttershy,” Cantor began, turning to face the bright teal eyes of the adorable pegasus. “It’s perfectly normal to feel scared on your first time, but what you have to keep in mind is that the longer you wait, the longer you’ll wonder, and the longer you’ll be missing out…”

“How do you know that mares like it, Cantor?” Asked Twilight, smiling seductively down upon him. Her blush brightened when she felt the wings tense around her.

Cantor raised an eyebrow. “I can think of several examples, Twilight…” He said, doing his best to mimic Twilight’s enchanting stare, not even coming close to half as cute as the purple mare was being now.

Twilight ignored his statement; simply turning back to her blushing friend, proceeding to whisper something silently into Fluttershy’s ear, causing the young pegasus’ eyes to light up in glee.

“Like that!?” Fluttershy cried, a little louder than intended.

Twilight nodded. “Yup.” She added cheerfully.

“Does it… hurt?” Fluttershy asked, causing both Cantor and Twilight’s hearts to melt. She was such an innocent little filly, so gentle with an unparalleled level of kindness. Nopony could hate her: it was physically and scientifically impossible.

“Sweetheart…” Cooed Twilight, reaching out with one foreleg and smoothing Fluttershy’s mane away from her face. “I’m not going to lie: for the first few seconds, for the teeniest amount of time, it does hurt just a tiny little bit.” The fragile pegasus’ face fell in a heartbreaking disappointment. “But, after that,” Twilight quickly continued, seeing how down the pegasus looked, “I can’t stress enough how it is so much more enjoyable than anything else you’ve ever felt before!” Twilight grew excited, passing on knowledge of something still rather new to her. She felt like a teacher, something she one day hoped to become.

“The one thing you have to bear in mind, Fluttershy…” Cantor began, contributing his part of the ‘pep talk’. “Is that they don’t call it ‘making love’ for no reason. Neither of us are trying to push you into doing it if you’re not ready, but once the time is right, you and Big Macintosh will both know exactly what to do…” He finished with a respectful smile, empowering Fluttershy by a large degree, her great beaming grin stretching from ear to ear, her wondrous eyes twinkling in what little light was left.

And then she did it.

Fluttershy made that distinctive, impossible noise. Fluttershy did the ‘squee’… Cantor’s heart exploded with the sheer overdose of adorableness being pumped into it. “Group hug!” He shouted before pulling the beaming pegasus in towards himself and Twilight, basking in the unbelievable cuteness Fluttershy seemed to permanantly radiate.

“Wh- What’s goin’ on?” Came a southern voice from behind the three embracing ponies. Even in the now very dark dusk, Cantor could see Fluttershy’s awkwardness.

“Don’t worry, Fluttershy,” He whispered so that only her and Twilight could hear him. “This conversation will be our little secret, alright?” He smiled, which Fluttershy promptly copied, nodding her head briskly.

“Whoa! Night time already!?” Applejack exclaimed, rolling over onto her hooves and standing up, stretching her legs. “I didn’t reckon we’d be out for that long.” She began walking towards Fluttershy, who was already standing. Twilight soon followed, rolling off of Cantor and standing up.

“Hey… Where’s Rainbow?” Pinkie Pie asked, scanning the trees and hilltops in search for her mare-friend.

“She must’ve flown home to look after Scootaloo.” Rarity sighed, Gazing up at the darkening maroon sky. “It’s been so lonely with Sweetie Belle not here…” The unicorn sighed again, casting her eyes to the soft grass beneath her hooves.

“Chin up, Rarity!” Applejack confided, glancing at the white mare. “You said she’d be back next weekend, anyways.” The farm pony chuckled. “Lil’ Aplebloom’s got herself all excited already!”

Rarity sighed once again, but this time in agreement. “I suppose you’re right, Applejack…” Said the white unicorn, allowing a little smile at the thought of seeing her little sister again after two weeks. “After my parents left to see the world, leaving Sweetie with me for the whole year they were gone, I became… accustomed to her living with me…” Her smile slowly faded to an empty, glum face. “It’s so quiet nowadays. Peaceful, and I should say I prefer it, but… I miss her…”

“Cheer up, Rarity,” Twilight soothed. “Like Applejack said, she’ll be here next weekend.”

“Yes, Twilight, but I expect she’ll want to spend the days with her friends and not me…” Responded Rarity, still holding the gloomy air about herself.

“Well… Why not go out for the day, just you two?” Proposed Twilight, hoping to share her happy smile with Rarity.

“Yeah! Do something fun!” Squealed Pinkie Pie, the grogginess of post sleep absent from her mind.

Rarity pondered the suggestion for a short moment before smiling and replying. “I suppose I could take her to the aquarium…” She said, already beginning to visualise the pair’s future day out. “Sweetie Belle loves sea life!” Rarity declared, finishing with a hopeful smile upon her face.

“That’s the spirit!” Twilight said, nudging Rarity on her shoulder with her hoof. “Today was lovely.” She continued, folding up the blanket with her magic and placing it inside the picnic basket. “Thanks Pinkie, Thanks Applejack.”

“Our pleasure, Twi.” The orange earth pony replied, shooting twilight a wink.

“Yeah, no problem, Twilight!” Pinkie added to her friend’s sentence. “I love picnics! We should do it again some day!” she declared, scooping up the wicker basket containing empty plates and a few morsels of cake.

“Count on it.” Confirmed Twilight, grinning peacefully in the late afternoon dusk as the last deep red rays left the sky, opening up the night time and causing the stars to blink into life. They walked back through the fragrant orchard. The evening had grown still and the night air was mild. Gladly, though maybe a little too soon, the group reached Applejack’s farmhouse. They bid farewell, and Applejack disappeared into the warm glow of the humble little house.

Just then, via the unpredictable power of love, Fluttershy felt a pulse of confidence. “Um… Applejack?” She asked, causing the farm girl to stop closing the door and peer outside for a second.

“Yeah, sugarcube?” She asked with an inviting smile.

“Is um… Is Big Macintosh there?” The petite pegasus asked meekly, peering past Applejack and into her home.

“’Coarse. Hold on a sec’.” She answered, fully opening up the door and walking further inside the domain.

“Big Mac!?” Came a call from within, followed by a deep voice replying “Yeah, sis?”

Hushed whispering could be heard. And before long, Applejack returned to the doorway beside her huge red brother.

“Evenin’, Fluttershy.” He said in his docile tone. “What brings you here?”

“Well, I um…” She began, blushing heavily and seeming to shrink a little. “I was just wondering whether… If- if you want to, that is… um… would you like to come to my house tonight?”

Big Macintosh’s tired eyes seemed to light up at this notion. “Sure thing, Fluttershy.” He said with a warm smile. “What’s the occasion?”

“Oh, oh… um…” She stammered before once again finding her confidence and answering definitively without fault: “There’s something I want to show you.”

“What’s that then?” The large stallion asked, generating an extremely intense blush across both of her fair cheeks.

“I… You’ll have to wait and see…” Fluttershy answered, her voice coming out relatively strong, albeit really rather bashful.

“Fine by me.” Big Mac decreed, casting a glance towards his little sister. “I wasn’t doin’ nothin’ anyways…” He smiled, the kind of smile that made Fluttershy’s heart glow.

Big Macintosh, also known to some as ‘Macky’, plodded outside, instructing Applejack to “Not wait up” Before she closed the thin farmhouse door with one last wave and farewell to her friends.

Applejack turned around and planted herself onto a comfortable brown armchair perched at the side of a much larger loveseat. She amused herself for some time with the thought of her brother and her best friend snuggling up next to each other in the secluded woodland cottage. Slowly, everypony around her seemed to be finding love, Pinkie Pie and Dash shared a very memorable and dramatic love story, as did Twilight and Cantor. And now, even her shy brother and her even more skittish friend, Fluttershy were opening their hearts to each other.

She slid down in the chair, forming an impossibly comfortable slouch as she thought about herself. She didn’t ask for much, and whatever she did want for herself had remained rather menial in terms of spiritual bettering. She had never known this ‘love’, but seeing how content and happy it made her friends, she knew that sooner or later she would have to find somepony for herself. Twilight Sparkle had told her that ‘a match was made in heaven’. And that she believed in ‘love at first sight’. Applejack smiled at the thought. She was twenty years of age, she had been with other ponies in the past, they had all let her know pleasure and happiness, but from what she could see in her friends’, and now her brother’s eyes, ‘love’ was so much deeper than that. And from the evidence all around her, her very special somepony could be right under her nose and she wouldn't even know it.

“One day…” She said aloud to herself, reassuring herself that she would eventually feel the joy her friends felt. “But not yet.” She added. She was content enough with the life she led; her work was her life and right now, the workload of Applebuck Season was pressing down as the September harvest was nearly upon her and her brother, and much preparation still needed to be done. Once again, her thoughts turned back to her work, distracting her from matters she thought otherwise fruitless, at least at the present moment.

“Let’s see…” She mused, “Tomorrow I can finish up readyin’ the south field, then I can make a start on the east next week…”




Eventually, two more ponies left the herd, Pinkie Pie disappearing inside her darkened bakery and Rarity heading back to her boutique, rather looking forward to the rest of her evening which she would spend most of which soaking in the large hot tub she had had installed when one of her dress contractors ordered a huge shipping of some fifty of her most expensive dresses, landing her a huge sum of money in which she spent nearly a quarter of on the exquisite jacuzzi, giving the remainder to the hospice she felt strongly about; the one which saved her older brother from cancer when she was young. She never usually donated money to charities as she never felt her feeble amounts were ‘good enough’. When she found herself not knowing what to do with 8,000 bits however, this situation changed, the hefty donation landing her a spot on the front page of ‘Ponyville Confidential’.

“And remember, Fluttershy…” Twilight whispered to the slightly apprehensive pegasus, “You’ll know exactly what to do…”

“Thank you, Twilight…” Fluttershy replied with a bow of gratitude. “I’m sure I’ll be fine.”

And with that, the sweet, young Fluttershy left with her great big Macky, ambling off into the night together, whispers of affection passed between them through the still air. They gazed into each other’s heart-warming eyes as they slowly made their way to the start of their legacy.

"There goes two young lovers to the beginning of their lives together." Cantor said, standing next to Twilight, observing the tender couple amble out of sight. “I’ve got high hopes for them, Twi…”

“Me too, Cantor.” The unicorn mare agreed. “Today was just perfect…” She sighed.

Cantor simply let out an amused hum of satisfaction. “Hey, Twilight…” He asked, casting his head skywards to the many constellations up in the heavens.

“Yeah?” She replied, meeting his gaze, awing at the astonishingly clear night.

“How about some stargazing tonight?” He asked, causing the purple mare to gasp in delight.

“That’s a great Idea, Cantor!” She exclaimed, her astronomical mind becoming dizzy with one of her many passions. “Just let me get my telescope!”

She turned to dart inside, yet found herself halted by a soft hoof on her flank. She rotated once more, completing a three hundred and sixty degree circle in just a second. She turned to see Cantor smiling broadly, if in fact a little mischievous glint I his eye.

“Oh, ye of little faith…” He muttered before turning around and ambling away.

“Wait. Cantor…” Twilight called out, trotting to bring herself up to the stallion’s side. “Where are we going?”

“You’ll see…” He answered slyly, shooting Twilight a knowing wink.

The bright little star on earth named Twilight Sparkle couldn’t stifle her own little amused grin as her fabulous mind raced to all the possibilities that this mystic stallion could be contemplating in his head.

The couple slowly walked for five minutes until they came to the bottom of a large barren hill, all the while marvelling at the many shooting stars which streaked the sky.

“I suppose you’re wondering what we’re doing here, Twilight?” Cantor asked, facing the hill with a blazing horn casting indigo light over the pair, deepening the purple in the mare’s coat.

“I am wondering, Cantor.” She answered, slightly annoyed. She hated it when Cantor teased her, but that’s what made him all the more loveable. “But I have no clue as to what it could be…” She added.

“We’re here to go stargazing, Twi…” Cantor confirmed.

“Yes,” The exasperated mare began. “But my telescope’s at the library!” She shouted. “That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you!”

“I… do have a telescope on me, but I’m not sure if it will cater to your needs…” He clarified, the purple around his horn dissipating and his spectacular creation became visible atop the hill.

“Well… where is it?” She asked, scanning the stallion's body before catching him focusing on something behind her.

She warily turned her head, keeping eye contact with the suspicious alicorn until her unparalleled curiosity got the better of her and she whipped her head around.

Her mouth instantly fell agape and she only just managed to keep her bladder from releasing as her vision became filled by a sizeable dome producing an enormous telescope sat atop the crest of the dark hill.

Cantor stepped around her and watched her astonished expression for a moment before he put his hoof under her chin and pushed her mouth closed. “Breathe, Twilight.” He instructed. The mare complied, Taking a huge gasp of air after the sight had quite literally stolen her breath, disallowing her even to breathe through the marvel.

She allowed a shivering breath to escape her lips which were curved into an enormous beaming, toothless smile. “For… For me?” She asked, the blood in her veins transformed into pure joy.

Cantor gave a modest bow and closed his eyes. “All yours…” He answered.

Twilight gave another short stab of breath and her eyes filled with tears.

Cantor gave Twilight a moment for her blissful emotions to build, speaking only when the first two tears fell from her eyes. “Are you alri-“

“I LOVE IT!!!” Twilight yelled, her unrelenting happiness coming out in great leaping bounds around the alicorn. “I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT, I LOVE IT!!!” She continued to gush, causing Cantor’s heart to sing. “I LOVE YOU! OH, THANK YOU, THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!” She squealed, still skipping around the alicorn.

“You’re quite welcome, Twilight.” Cantor said modestly.

“How did you do it? What’s it in aid of? How can you afford it? When did it get here? Is it open to the public? Does-“

“Twilight, Twilight, Twilight…” Cantor rapidly said, calming down the ecstatic mare. “...Twi… Calm down.” He instructed, a beaming smile of his own worn across his face.

Twilight stopped bouncing and took several breaths, as Cantor said, trying to calm herself a little: enough to compose basic thoughts, but the ecstasy in her heart kept her from thinking too much.

Cantor wiped the tears from her still rather moist eyes and said with a hushed tone: “Because I love you, Twilight…” His voice was soft and warm, bringing Twilight’s buzz down, yet not at all making her any less happy. “I know how much you love stargazing, so I got you… pretty much as good as it gets…” He turned breifly to the vivid night sky before looking back at Twilight. "A perfect end to a perfect day..." He proposed.

“But how can you afford it?” She asked, turning back to the huge observatory perched silently atop the hill she could have sworn she heard calling to her.

Cantor began walking and Twilight huddled close to him, unable to limit how high she lifted her knees as her stallion drew her in with his large wing, folding it into Twilight as if it was her own. Once again, Twilight began to cry out of how much better than perfect this night was turning out to be.

“Remember the time when I said I had to aid the weather team in amplifying a super cell?” He asked, brushing Twilight’s tears away once more, leaving her perfect lavender eyes unsoiled by the glistening tears.

“Yes…” Twilight croaked, More tears of serenity pouring from her eyes to which Cantor promptly gave up trying to clear.

“In reality, I made this.” He wafted his hoof towards the great dome they were rapidly approaching. It was around five or six metres in diameter and stretched another five into the sky. “It took me a whole day, especially when trying to get the mirrors at exactly the right angle.”

“It’s a reflector?” Twilight asked, looking up at Cantor with teary eyes.

“Now see, this is where it gets interesting, Twilight.” The alicorn stated as they approached the large steel door leading into the observatory.

“You see…” He began. “I got the idea to do this when we first went stargazing in June. After weeks of researching and experimenting, I came across a combination of the two types of telescope, reflector and refractor.”

“That’s not possible!” Said Twilight in exasperation. The two had reached the entrance to the dome, yet Cantor still held Twilight tightly under his wing. She had ceased her crying, yet her cheeks remained sodden.

“See, that’s where it’s fascinating: I found out the correct ratio of angles, measurements and densities of the lenses to make a perfectly working scale model… I used those figures to make this beast.” He said, gesturing towards the humungous black dome.

“But all the parts… All the materials… How did-“ Twilight began to protest before Cantor tapped his horn, silencing her.

“I can do anything, remember?” He said smugly. “The only thing I needed to find out is how to put everything together, and that was pretty easy, since it was my own working concept.” He pulled Twilight close with his foreleg and looked into her eyes. “And because it’s my concept, I know how it works…” He smiled warmly. “You will be the first pony not only to use this telescope, but the first pony EVER to use a full size one that adopts my special ‘reflaction’ design, allowing you to see objects much further away in perfect clarity.”

“You did all of this… just for me?” Twilight sheepishly asked, now feeling as if the brand new telescope was physically calling her name.

“Of course, Twilight. You mean the world to me, and I just want to make you happy.” He answered.

“Well, I think it’s safe to say that goal was achieved!” Twilight laughed, causing Cantor to chuckle himself.

“Shall we um…” He asked, presenting Twilight with a little metal key he had been keeping inside his mane. He didn’t know how it was possible, nor how the items stayed there, but, like one of the many mysteries in Equestria, the stallion merely choked it down to magic.

“As I said before, Twilight: It’s aaaaallll yours…” The stallion said again, stepping to the side, leaving Twilight directly in front of one of her many dreams she never thought she’d achieve. A fire silently began to burn above the door, throwing light across it’s dull brown surface, illuminating a solid gold handle bearing a little slot beneath it for the key.

In a haze of giddy excitement, Twilight slowly pressed the sharp key into the lock until it stopped. She turned it anticlockwise once and the door clicked, then as she began turning again, a most satisfying ‘clunk’ could be heard from within. The key lost it’s friction within the door and turned the rest of the way in the lock until it was back where it started. The mare cast Cantor an affectionate glance. The stallion merely gave a little bow and motioned for Twilight to enter. With all of her filly-like fascination, she nudged the door open a crack, and golden light washed over her. Slowly but surely, she pushed her head inside.

With the contrast of darkness to light, it seemed to Twilight as if she were being born into a fabulous world she never wanted to leave. The observatory was much warmer than the night air outside. Her legs subconsciously carried her inside as she gazed around at her new surroundings. Great, empty bookshelves lined the walls at shoulder height, creating an ideal resting ground for ornaments. Each blank bookshelf stood there, waiting, anticipating the day that their first book would be added. The walls above the empty shelves too, were completely void of all personalisation, just a creamy white paint before they separated into overlapping iron slabs. The manner in which the roof was designed reminded her of the anatomy of dragon scales, each one folding over the last ever so slightly. At regular intervals, bright light bulbs jutted out from the wall, covered by a cream lampshade, illuminating the room just enough to make it cosy whilst still holding some air of practicality.

In the very centre of the room was the wondrous eyepiece, a conduit of mystery and marvel, a whole new world – or many – just waiting to be discovered.

“One thing, Twilight.” Cantor spoke, stepping into the observatory and gently shutting the door behind himself. “Notice how everything is empty…” He began, joining the starstruck mare in tracing the baron walls with his eyes. “This room, Twilight… If you choose it to be, can be your sanctuary, your legacy.”

“What do you mean?” She asked turning around to come face to face with Cantor, who stood barely two feet away from her.

“I mean make this telescope live, Twilight. Let it live through you. Pour your heart and soul into it. Fill these bookshelves with your findings, decorate the walls with your beauty. Leave an unending mark on the world, something other ponies will look at and say “Yes. Twilight Sparkle did that.” Let them know just what you can do.”

He took a step closer and brushed her fringe to the side, revealing her gorgeous face to his eyes. “I know I’ve said it before, and I’m definitely going to say it again, and will never stop saying it for as long as I live: I love you, Twilight Sparkle.” Her face flushed a little when he said this. It had become somewhat of a motto for him. “You are the most astonishing, beautiful, intelligent, kind creature I have ever had the greatest pleasure even to see. You, Twilight Sparkle... are perfect. And don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You’re the very element of love and friendship and Celestia strike me down if you don’t become the greatest pony ever to have lived.”

The blushing purple mare began to tear up once more as he spoke, looking at her the way he always did when he was burning her with the purest of truth. “I love you, Twilight Sparkle.” He said. “Never forget that. Because I will never stop.”