• Published 30th Jul 2014
  • 565 Views, 1 Comments

Guardians of Equestria Chapter 1: Love is Magic Part 1 - SpiritD3t3ctiv3



A young prince and his companion travel to Equestria to escape their mundane routine, only to find themselves fighting for Canterlot's freedom when their enemy unknowingly follows them there.

  • ...
6
 1
 565

The Enemies Arrival

Chapter 3 The Enemies Arrival

The next morning, far away in the kingdom of Canterlot, a battalion of armor clad Mamban Soldiers began marching towards the kingdom. As soon as the guards took notice, the royal horn blower sounded the alarm. The deafening noise of the silver trumpets sounding from the spotting towers was enough to wake up whatever guard was sleeping on duty. The earth pony archers up on the battlements took aim and fired their arrows at the invaders. In horror, they watched at the long column of armored foot soldiers raised their shields in defense, cutting off any chance of the arrows making their marks.

The Mamban Soldiers who weren’t holding up shields, held batteries of Nests’ of Bees which were equipped with rifle stocks so they were easier to aim. Upon aiming their Batteries, they fired upon the battlements and towers, thousands of red tipped arrows hitting the stone masonry and exploding on contact. The unlucky guard ponies who weren’t caught in the blasts and blown to smithereens were subjected to the long fall from the wall. The sounds of bodies hitting the ground and necks snapping were numerous and continuous. The number of dead ponies was large enough so that the enemies' commander, a large Grey Alicorn with red reptile-like eyes, was able to walk through the field of battle without receiving any damage. He soon found himself having to knock down a few guards with the magic from his horn inside the long hallway inside. His silver chamfrain shone in unison with his long flowing silver mane in the ambient light as he began making his way further and further towards the entrance to the throne room.

He wore brass shoes and a red cloak over his armor that lightly dragged across the ground. A sheathed katana dangled from the saddlebag near the end of his armor. The handle was purple and the cross guard took the shape of a dragon’s head. The armored ponies standing guard near the doors to the throne room charged at him. But the stranger simply lowered his head, and fired a barrage of powerful aura blasts at the guards. As the guards fell to the ground, the stranger kept his pace, his cloak slowly dragging behind him.
Meanwhile, Celestia, Princess of the Sun, was sitting at her throne with her sister Luna, Princess of the Night, beside her, both of them wore looks of fear. Since the Changeling invasion that took place some time ago, there had never been a more heated invasion. Celestia was just about to call for aid when suddenly the doors bursted open, and a battle damaged guard hurriedly limped towards the throne.

“What has happened?!” Celestia asked in shock.

The guard spoke slowly, for he had endured many injuries in trying to get to the throne room.

“Your Majesty”, he said weakly, there’s a...Gaaaugh!!!!”

Those were his last words as a purple blast of energy struck him from behind, and he fell to the ground. A few feet away from him, the stranger, known as Draco Coatl, King of Mamba, Ruler of the Venom Empire, slowly trotted towards the two princesses. A wicked smile grew on his face, as he slowly walked towards the throne.

“Well well well, if it isn’t the great and magnificent Princess Celestia. Many of your loyal guards spoke of you as I made my way here. I am humbled in your presence”.

He bowed by kneeling and placing his forelegs on the ground, and his head down, then slowly rose back up. Celestia scowled, disapproving the mockery signified in his bow.

“Who are you”? she asked sternly, “and why have you and your soldiers attacked our guards”? “Attacked is such a harsh term”, Draco said in a fake innocent tone, “I prefer “exercising my right to defend myself”.

He glanced over at Princess Luna. His smile seemed to grow wider and more sinister.

“Mee-yow! You must be Princess Luna. I must say, I found the stories told of you when you were Nightmare Moon, very….entertaining”.

Princess Luna glared in disgust at the evil prince. Princess Celestia slowly descended from her throne. Her horn started glowing brighter and brighter with every step.

“I insist that you leave, or I will be forced to take drastic measures”.

“Oh how rude”, Draco said in the same fake hurt tone, “we were never even properly introduced. I’m Draco”!

Upon exclaiming his title, Draco aimed his horn at Celestia and fired a bolt of purple energy straight at her. Celestia quickly flew up above, instantly dodging his attack. Using her magic, she fired a bright golden beam from her horn right at Draco, but the evil male Alicorn drew his sword faster than anypony could blink and blocked her attack with the flat side of the blade. He then fired his magic at Celestia again, but it was once again dodged as the Princess barrel rolled out of the path of the beam. As evenly matched as both opponents seemed, Celestia seemed to have the situation more under control.

Just as it seemed victory was within Celestia’s grasp, Draco used his magic to conjure up a long purple chain. Using his skills and dexterity, he twirled it around like a lasso, then casted it towards Celestia, who was instantly caught. The Elder Princess felt her powers begin to slowly dissipate in the glowing manacle. Crying out in pain, she slowly descended, until she was kneeling before the malevolent male Alicorn. As he felt pride begin to well up in his chest, he cast his vision down at the once proud ruler of Equestria, and grinned with satisfaction.

“That’s right princess, bow before your new king”.

“Not if I have anything to say about it”!

Draco turned to see Luna fly up from her throne and prepare to charge. Instantly, he drew his dragon katana, and then stuck the tip at Celestia’s throat. This made Luna instantly freeze with a look of horror.

“Ah ah ah”, Draco warned, “Any attempt at rescue, and your kingdom’s gonna be short 1 princess”.

Luna gasped at the horrific notion. The midnight blue Alicorn glared at her other, feeling her eyes fill with tears. Seeing no other option, the princess hung her head in defeat. He beamed with pride, purposefully bumping into Luna, as he made his way up to the throne, all the while tugging Celestia alongside him. As he took his place at the throne, he used his magic to grab hold of Celestia’s horn. He then levitated his sword from its scabbard and held it high above his head.

“I desire a trophy, as a reminder of this day”.

With that being said, he brought it down with blinding speed. The princess of night watched in horror as the katana sliced through her sister’s horn as if it were bread. Celestia cried in pain as the silver maned usurper grasped the now cut horn in his hoof. Celestia’s forehead looked like a tree stump where her horn used to be. He inspected it as if it were a fine gem.

“Very beautiful”.

Through tear filled vision, Luna glared up at her perverse foe.

“You won’t get away with this”, she said, trying her best to hold back her sobs.

Draco chuckled as he brought up his hoof to Luna’s face. He then began to lightly stroke her soft cheek, feeling the slight dampness of stray tears.

“On the contrary my dear princess, my rule has just begun”.

Unable to contain his smugness any longer, Draco let out a loud, evil laugh, listening carefully as it reverberated against the walls and echoed throughout the once proud halls of Canterlot Castle.


Meanwhile, our two unknowing heroes continued on their current objective of leading the four ponies they encountered out if the ghastly Everfree Forest. To help matters and speed the finding of Ponyville, Rarity had given Jay a piece of cloth she had found at the bottom of her hoof. She assumed she had unintentionally picked it up when she ran out of the house. Jay was at the front of the company, sniffing the ground diligently.

“Still picking up Rarity’s trail Jay?” Finn asked. “Uh huh”, he said, not taking his eyes off the ground. “Are we almost there!?” Scootaloo called from the back. “Nope”! Jay called back, “Still got a good while to go!”

The CMC groaned.

“My hooves are killing me!” Sweetie Belle complained. “Would you like me to carry you?” Rarity offered. “That actually sounds nice”, Sweetie Belle said tiredly.

So Sweetie Belle hopped on her sisters back. Just then, Jay stood up. He was really picking up a scent.

“Hey I got something”! Jay announced.

Finn ran up to him.

“Whatcha got”? Finn asked.

Jay inhaled deeply.

“Smells like, Potions, Quill pen ink, and…Dragon scales”? “Sounds like Zecora and Twilight”, said Rarity, “and Spike must be with them”. “Well what are we waiting for?! Finn exclaimed, while hurriedly walking forwards, “Let’s find these guys so we can get out of here!!!!!” “Finn, don’t!” Jay exclaimed out of concern.

What Finn didn’t realize was that there had been another reason Jay stopped. He stopped because they were at the edge of a cliff. As soon as Finn got to the edge, he immediately lost his footing and started tumbling down the hill. Jay and the others watched as he rolled like a log down the slope. Meanwhile at Zecora’s hut, Princess Twilight Sparkle was just finishing her check list.

“Thanks for the ingredients Zecora”, she said politely, “I had just ran out and am working on a new potion recipe”.
The ring wearing zebra smiled kindly.

“Your gratitude’s accepted”, she said, “I’m glad to help you with what needed to be collected”.

Twilight smiled.

“Spike is that the last thing on the list”? Twilight asked. “Yep, that’s about it”, Spike said, viewing the list.

Just then they heard what sounded like a log coming down a hill. Then, CRASH! Finn had landed through the roof, and landed on Zecora’s floor.

“Blessed me”! Zecora exclaimed, “What manner of creature could this be?!”

Finn groaned in pain, then slowly opened his eyes and saw the three of them standing in front of them.

“Cool! A zebra”! Finn exclaimed with glee, “and another unicorn with a dragon! You must be Twilight and Spike”.

The Lavender Unicorn and her Dragon friend were surprised the strange unicorn knew their names.

“Finn Lioghais”, Finn said bowing, “At your service, Princess.”

Twilight and Spike exchanged a look of curiosity. Out of all the strange ponies Twilight had seen, this one had cracked the scale. But seeing as how he wasn’t a threat or frightening in the least, Twilight and Spike managed to smile. “Pleasure to meet you Finn Lioghais”, Twilight said trotting towards him. “It’s just Finn”, Finn said sensitively. “Ok, it’s nice to meet you, Finn,” Twilight said correctly.

The two of them shook hooves.

“Where did you come from Finn”? Twilight asked curiously. “You mean besides the roof”? Finn joked.

Twilight nodded her head while at the same time laughing at his quip.

“I’m a soldier of Arion”, he said. “Hmmm, I’ve never heard of such a place”, Twilight said, scratching under her chin. “Well I guess were making history”, Finn said enthusiastically.

Twilight smiled. Finn looked over at Spike.

“Wow, this is actually my first time seeing a dragon”, said Finn. “Really?” Spike said surprised. “Well truthfully it’s been a while”, Finn said honestly, “I don’t see that many dragons, and even when I do, they’re not really this friendly”.

Spike smiled nonetheless. Finn then turned his attention to Zecora. He walked over to her.

“Please forgive me for what happened to your roof”, he said sadly, “I’d be much obliged to help fix it”.

Zecora smiled.

“Your guilt can now end”, she said warmly, “For I am now happy to call you my friend. And as for the roof, the damages can be mended. But come back any time, your company would be splendid”.

She slowly extended her hoof. Finn smiled and shook it.

“I’m guessing your Zecora”, Finn said. “Although how you know me is odd, I’d suspect, but in this case, however, you are correct”, said Zecora.
Just then, Jay and the others walked in.

“There you are man! Are you ok”?! Jay asked concerned. “I’m fine”, Finn said reassuringly.

Finn took Jay aside, and introduced him to his new friends

“Jay, this is Zecora, Spike and Twilight”, Finn said.

Jay smiled at Twilight. She smiled back, and then glanced back over at Finn.

“Hi”, he said warmly. “Hi”, she said enthusiastically.

After exchanging salutations with the other 2, Jay explained how they got there, and how they were lost.

“Well you’re in luck”, Spike said happily. “Yeah, you guys can tag along with us”, Twilight added. “Oh thank goodness”, Rarity said in exhaustion, “I don’t think I could’ve spent another night in this horrid forest”.

Everyone shared a laugh. Later, Finn, Jay, Rarity, and the Crusaders followed Spike and Twilight back to Ponyville. It took a moment for Finn to take it all in. To him, everything there was…beautiful.

“This place is awesome”! Finn exclaimed. “I gotta admit”, Jay confessed, “The new perspective is pretty intoxicating”. “It….reminds me of the old days”, Finn said wistfully.

Jay nodded his head, thinking back to the Golden Age of Gringolet. As they walked down the street, they were met with looks of glee from the passerby’s. It didn’t bother them though, and they showed their contentedness by waving at all the ponies who passed them by.

“I really think you boys are gonna like it here”, Sweetie Belle said happily. “Yeah, I think it’s about time we got a little normalcy in our lives”, Jay said happily. “Adventure may not happen here as often as it does where you come from, but there’s still plenty to do”, Rarity added. “That’s all well and good, But where are we gonna find a house?!” Jay exclaimed. “We’ll settle all that later, I want the two of you to meet the rest of my friends”, Twilight said.

Jay sighed.

“Alright”, Jay said reluctantly, “But there better be food. All I had to eat was marshmallows last night and they weren’t as filling as I thought”.

The CMC’s shared a laugh, while Jay blushed a little. While Rarity took Sweetie Belle and her friend’s home, Twilight led them to Sugar Cube Corner. As they entered, Finn and Jay marveled at the large selections of cakes and sweets they’d seen since Hengroen. Well, Finn marveled, Jay drooled. They were soon introduced to Mr. and Mrs. Cake.

“Sergeants Finn and Jay, meet Carrot Cake and his wife Cup Cake”, Twilight said. “Pleasure”, Jay said nodding. “Nice to meet you, sir and madam”, Finn said bowing slightly. “Please, the pleasure is ours”, Cup Cake said humbly. “We’re always happy to cater to the stallions and mares who serve”, Carrot Cake added happily, “then again, we don’t get many of them here anyway”.

Just then, a pink pony with pink frizzy hair carrying 2 foals, one a boy Pegasus and the other a girl unicorn, walked in through the saloon doors. The fillies’ name was Pinkie Pie, and the babies’ names were Pound Cake and Pumpkin Cake.

“Oh and that’s Pinkie Pie”, Twilight said, pointing over to her.

Pinkie Pie lifted her head after hearing her name. And after seeing the 2 boys, she looked quite surprised.

“Hi there”, they said in unison.

In an instant, she gasped, handed the babies to Mrs. Cake, and then ran out the door.

“Oh-kay”, Jay said confused. “Hey you never introduced us to the little ones”, Finn said, referring to the babies. “This is our son Pound Cake and our daughter Pumpkin Cake”, said Mr. Cake. “Awww they’re so cute”, Jay said sweetly.

The 2 foals looked at Finn curiously, and then started giggling. Finn smiled warmly as he gazed upon their happy little faces. He didn’t have to be in Arion to adore the sweet innocence of a child. In the sense that children never have to worry about the struggles of adult life, or VENOM for that matter.

“So what was Pinkie Pie’s deal back there”? Jay asked Twilight, “was she being ‘telepathically’ paged’ ”? “No”, Twilight said snickering, “you’ll soon see”.

Just then, 3 more ponies, one a regular and the other two pegasi, walked in through the doors.

The blue Pegasus with the rainbow mane, and whose name was Rainbow Dash, was the first to speak.

“Hey Twilight, we heard Pinkie Pie shouting about 2 newcomers, and thought we’d be check ‘em out”, she said.

The light gold Pegasus with the Cotton Candy Pink mane, and whose name was Fluttershy, stared curiously at Finn and Jay. Then quickly turned away when they returned eye contact, which made them curious. That’s when the light orange pony with the blonde mane and the cowboy hat, and whose name was Applejack, walked up to the bows.

“Y’all will have to excuse Fluttershy”, she said apologetically, in a southern accent similar to Apple Bloom’s, “She’s not used to meeting new folk, unlike me.Ah’m Applejack of Sweet Apple Acres and the other Pegasus over there is Rainbow Dash”.

Apple Bloom smiled at the mention of her name. Applejack started shaking their hooves rapidly. As she shook, Finn exchanged a smile with Jay, who also smiled.

“Ah just wanna thank you both for taking good care of AppleBloom”, she said, keeping a tight grip on their hooves.

“I like her”, Finn said enthusiastically. “Me too”, Jay replied.

Applejack smiled at the comment. Jays smiled soon turned into a frown as he turned to Twilight.

“Ok so we met your friends”, he said firmly, “but what are we gonna do for a house”? “We could give you guys the guest room”, Spike offered. “Actually we would like to see your house”, Finn said. “Yea we would”, Jay added.

Moments later, Finn and Jay stared in amazement at Twilight’s house made from a tree. And even more taken by the inside. Shelves and shelves of books, different kinds and different genres. Living in a tree of their own, they had thought that their house was the most impressive.

“Welcome to the Golden Oaks Library”, Twilight said. “You live in a library”? Finn asked. “I love to read”, Twilight replied. “So do I”, Finn said warmly. “Really”? Twilight asked in astonishment, “Forgive my asking but, how does a soldier find time to read? They must keep you really busy over there”. “Prioritizing, my dear Sparkle, it’s all about prioritizing”, Finn said confidently.

Twilight giggled, feeling humored by his words. The staff sergeant suddenly felt heat rush to his cheeks as he smiled at the lavender mare in front of him. His smile suddenly dropped to a frown seconds later as a thought occurred to him.

“It’s all nice Twilight, but I don’t think it would be right”, Finn confessed sadly. “It’s totes awkward sleeping in a house with someone you hardly know”. “Well what do you suggest”? Jay asked. “I actually had an idea a few seconds ago”, Finn confessed.

As Finn whispered his idea to Jay, his face slowly began beaming with delight. A few moments later, the 2 boys located a vacant spot near Flutterhy’s house. Twilight and her friends, minus Pinkie Pie, aided in the construction. Applejack and Rainbow Dash helped with the heavy lifting, while Twilight and Rarity chose the perfect lumber and metal sheeting. Hours later, the two soldiers and the 6 mares had completed a large Quonset hut.

“We did a good job didn’t we”? Jay said half exhausted. “Seabees, eat your hearts out”, Finn said confidently.

Jay let a hearty laugh escape his lips as the 5 mares and Spike came up behind them.

“We’d like to thank you all for your help and support”, Jay said gratefully. “We really appreciate it”, Finn said honestly. “Shoot, that’s what friends do for each other”, Applejack said humbly.

Finn slightly winced at the word “friend”.

“I’ll do anything to keep anybody from living on the streets”, Rarity said proudly. “We were glad to lend a hoof”, Twilight said happily. “It’s a lovely home”, Fluttershy said softly. “I, err, we designed it after the small air hanger’s we have back at our base camp”, Jay admitted, “Maybe we’ll get to take you there some day”. “Now’s probably not the best time to think about that, Sergeant”, Finn pointed out sternly, “We ARE presently trying to win a war”. “Oh, right”, Jay said sheepishly. “Well, come now, darling”, Rarity said, wrapping her foreleg around Jay’s, “You don’t plan to keep us waiting forever, do you? Let’s go and see the interior of your new home”.

Jay could feel his face heat up as she led him towards the metal house, while Spike grimaced enviously at him. Finn felt discomforted at the mention of “home”, but he digressed as he was tired from the long working hours. As they all entered the large metal abode, they were greeted by tons of ponies and the loud sounds of party horns. Looking around, Finn saw that the whole room was covered in multi colored streamers and balloons.

“SURPRISE”!!!! Pinkie Pie exclaimed, jumping out from the large of party ponies. “What’s all this”?! Jay exclaimed as a smile spread across his face. “It’s a party! I threw it just for you two”!!! Pinkie Pie said, wrapping both her forelegs around Finn and Jay, “Were ya surprised? Huh? Huh? Huh? Huh? HUH”?! “Oh yes, we were DEFINITELY surprised”, Finn replied dryly, “we were HOPING for some peace and quiet”. “That’s silly! What kind of party would this be if it were quiet? Y’know, Twilight said the SAME thing at her first Ponyville Party”, Pinkie said. “Really”? Finn said, turning to Twilight. “Mhm”, Twilight hummed, nodding her head. “I do this for EVERY newcomer to Ponyville”! Pinkie said with enthusiasm, “I throw a great big, ginormous, super-duper spectacular welcome party and invite EVERYON in Ponyville”!

Pinkie’s friends gathered around her, all of them wearing a smile.

“This.is.AWESOME”! Jay shouted pumping his hooves in the air, “I’m not even sure how you managed to set this all up so quickly but I don’t care”!!!

Finn sighed, looking rather annoyed. Twilight became curious at this. Just then, Spike belched, and along with a little flame, there was a scroll.

“He can produce scrolls from his fire”?! Finn exclaimed out of surprise.

After closely examining the articles in the parchment, Spikes eyes grew wide and he became somewhat petrified. He slowly turned to Twilight, handing her the paper.

“Twilight”, he said worriedly, “I think you need to read this”.