• Published 26th Jun 2014
  • 2,910 Views, 132 Comments

Changed - Dream Seeker



Star Watcher Is captured and turned into a Changeling. The Changeling Hive, on the brink of starvation, is attacked by one of its own.

  • ...
10
 132
 2,910

Manehattan

"We can't go in that way!" Sky (Star Watcher) hissed to Charm (Bugze). "They'll capture us and we'll starve to death!"

"Stay calm, we'll find another way in." Charm replied confidently. "After all, Lucky is my first name!" he added mischievously.

Sky rolled his eyes. "Ha, ha. Now, what other way in could there be?"

"The sewers."

"You've got to be kidding me." Sky deadpanned.


Sky followed Charm down a dark, smelly tunnel. He heard a squelching noise with every step forward and he winced. He didn't even want to think about what he was stepping in. Every twenty or so yards, a bit of light would shine through from the grates in the road, dimming slightly as ponies trotted across them. With no light, bad smells, an icky floor, and the discusting squelch of hooves on... 'unknown materials', the only thing Sky couldn't complain about was the secrecy. Sky wasn't sure it was worth it though.

"Are we there yet?" he grumbled for what must have been the fiftieth time.

"Not long now." Charm sighed back... for the fiftieth time.

"How do you even know where we are?"

Charm brightened at that. "Oh! A story to pass the time! Well, my grandbuggy lived with me in Manehattan for a while, and he showed me the sewers one day! He told me, 'Bugze, if you ever want to get in or out of a city without being caught, always know your way around the sewers. Now come on, I want to see the looks on those ponies faces when I back up their toilets!' From then on, I memorized the sewer plans for all the cities I went to. Backing up the toilets of ponies I didn't like was a nice benefit!"

Sky stopped and stared at Charm for a moment, not certain whether he should be disgusted, amused, or impressed. Then he continued walking, thoughts occupied with all the fun things he could do from the sewers. Backing up toilets was the least of the city's worries...


"I'm sorry!" Sky yelled to Charm over the sound of rushing water as they sprinted as fast as they could. "I didn't think this would happen!"

"Next time, ask before pressing shiny red buttons! They usually do something bad!"

"But... Button!"

Charm groaned and facehoofed, somehow managing to do so safely while running. "You just flushed all of the city's water supply for today down the sewers, nearly killing both of us in the process, and you did it all because you couldn't resist hitting the shiny red button surrounded by 'do not touch' signs?"

Sky sighed. "Can we just get out of here? I never want to deal with sewers again."

Charm grinned. "How do you think we're going to get out of here?"

Sky groaned. "Just kill me now." he muttered.


A lone grate lifted seemingly be itself in a dark ally. A beggar pony stared as two filthy ponies emerged, looking around wildly. Wisely, the pony retreated, promising himself that he wouldn't sleep near a grate again.

"That was the most horrible experience I've had in my life." Sky groaned. "Now I need a shower, too."

Charm chuckled. "I've been worse. Now we're just a block away from the nearest Changeling outpost, when we get there we might have to mobilize their forces. I'm pretty much right below the top of the Changeling hierarchy, I should be able to command them."

"I was wondering... How does the Changeling hierarchy work?" Sky asked as they started walking.

"Glad you asked. Highest class is the Queen or King. They get more love, can command any Changeling, and can use the Hive Mind to broadcast messages to the other Changelings. The Queenship or Kingship is either passed on when the current ruler dies or retires, in which case the next highest ranked Changeling becomes the next ruler, or when the current ruler is killed by another Changeling. The Changeling who killed the ruler becomes the newest ruler."

"Why do Queens or Kings look different?"

"The excess love changes their natural body. When the ruler passes on the title, most of their energy goes with it. That's why a new ruler can be recognized as a King or Queen only minutes after becoming a ruler. Next is the... Oh, I guess we're here already. I'll tell you later, it's not too important. At least, not for a Rank I Changeling like you." Charm said with a grin. "You're Rank I because you've completed one infiltration mission that qualifies as a success. There is no upper limit to the Rank a Changeling can have, but any Changeling with an actual title beats any Ranked Changeling." Charm stepped inside an ordinary-looking building, whistling a tune that had become very familiar to Sky over the past week.

A few lights went on, illuminating the room. A few ponies walked over to Sky expectantly. He whistled another tune, and the ponies' eyes opened wide in surprise. "Ah, King's Friend. Welcome." one of the ponies, or rather disguised Changelings, said. "We will prepare food and a bed for you and your companion."

Charm grinned as his disguise flickered and failed. "My disguise is Lucky Charm, and my companion's disguise is Sky Slicer. Are there any higher ranked officers here? Also, I'd like a copy of your weekly report."

"There are no officers your rank or higher present. Your copy of the report will be delivered to you as well." the disguised Changelings dipped their heads to Charm and left, presumably to inform the rest of the outpost of the new arrivals.

Only a few seconds later, an undisguised Changeling walked into the room. "I will take you to your rooms now." he said. "Your food and the weekly report will be up shortly."

"Why are some Changelings disguised and some not?" Sky asked curiously.

"The disguised ones are greeters, they're in charge of greeting any ponies or Changelings who enter. If a pony entered and they saw a Changeling, the whole outpost would have to be closed down." Bugze replied. "They didn't take off their disguises when I was confirmed to be a Changeling because with the amount they have to answer the door, it would drain their magic more if they disguised repeatedly than just keep the disguise on the whole time."

"Your rooms." the Changeling guide them said, dipping his head than leaving.

The two rooms sat next to each other, with no windows and no doors. They were identical, except for a strange marking on one door that Sky recognized to be part of the Changeling written language. Any ponies who entered, however, would not think it was anything other than a few scratches from some long-ago accident.

"This is actually pretty nice." Sky commented. "I was expecting something... well..."

"Dirty? Damaged?" Bugze finished with a chuckle.

Sky blushed sheepishly. "Well... yeah. Maybe flickering lights too."

"We're not that scary, are we?" Bugze's laughter rose.

"I guess not, but maybe a little creepy. I mean, come on! Secret agents that can change shape at will? Think of all the government infiltration you could do! Heck, if you wanted you could probably destroy Equestria within a year!"

Bugze raised an eyebrow. "We've never really gotten into politics. Too confusing and pointless for us. But you say it could be useful?"

"Really useful! If you had a Changeling as an artist, then had several Changelings in high-level politics endorse them, the artist Changeling could become popular throughout the whole nation, maybe even the world! The Changelings who were in politics might not get as much love energy on their own, maybe respect and admiration but no close companionships, but they could be instrumental in helping other Changelings get lots of love." Sky replied. "Also, Changelings could run a business. If a pony wanted a vacation but couldn't take time away from work, just hire a Changeling to go to work for them while they get the time off! Think about it. Princess Celestia has been ruling Equestria for millennia with no recorded breaks! All we would need is one Changeling disguised as Celestia for a single day. Everypony loves Celestia!"

Bugze smiled. "Now, this is why we need a pony on our side. At least, a former pony. We can do that later, first we have to prevent our extinction." Bugze's smile flipped upside down. "The situation is grim. The Royal Guard has been increasing security all around the city, to the point where ponies who enter government buildings are scanned. Including banks. There are rumors that the guards will be doing a 'door-to-door purge'. We could confirm this, but it would probably result in Changelings getting caught. Already the Changelings who were government officials have stepped down, claiming one reason or another. If we don't evacuate soon, we may not be able to. I suggest tomorrow."

Sky frowned. "Tomorrow already? If we keep moving like this, we won't be able to get any love at all!"

"We're going to have to find a city where we can safely stay, or wait until it all blows over. This couldn't have happened at a worse time." Bugze sighed. "I'll alert this outpost, you go take that shower you wanted. We leave first thing in the morning."

Author's Note:

I wrote the second half of this in Germany!

I can't think of anything else to talk about... Except for shiny red buttons. Don't press shiny red buttons. Ever. And the sewers suck.