• Published 25th Jun 2014
  • 751 Views, 13 Comments

The Everfree Guide's Daughter - xXSheltieXx



Lantern Glow is a very kind and loving Nitor Pony with a very rare ability. She has a photographic memory and loves to help ponies through dangerous places.

  • ...
0
 13
 751

Can Be Great

I blinked lazily. I had stayed up all night to make sure Steam Snowflake wouldn't fall off the bed. Sure, it got boring, but she needed me. I couldn't just leave her in the Everfree; I couldn't just fall asleep while she did and have the possibility of her falling off. I think that's part of what helped me stay awake. The agonizing worry that she'd get hurt. It was comforting and strange at the same time. She wasn't my child, but I treated her as if she were my own.

She yawned and opened her pink eyes, giving me a small smile. She tilted her head and stood up, stretching her legs. She frowned, making me frown. Her stomach gurgled in response and she looked up at me with sad eyes.

"No, sweetie, don't cry," I cooed, picking her up in one arm and walking to the kitchen.

I carried her as I got milk out of the fridge and poured it into a glass. I didn't have anything to feed her properly with! I thought for a moment and she must've seen the glass, reaching for it. I blinked slowly, setting her down and putting the glass next to her. I chuckled as she tried to lick it out of the glass.

I picked up a bowl and poured the milk into the bowl and laid it down, putting the glass in the sink. I heard her lapping up the milk and turned, watching her get milk all over her muzzle and fur. She quickly finished it and looked back up at me expectantly. I tilted my head.

"What?" I asked.

"I wove mama." She smiled crawling over to my legs and rubbing her cheek against them.

"I love you, too, Steam Snowflake," I beamed, rubbing her mane.

I picked up a napkin and tilted her head up and wiped her chin and muzzle, getting it nice and clean. She grinned and giggled in amusement as I threw the napkin away. I kept my eye on her as I walked backwards into the bedroom, picking up the blanket with my tail. I walked back to her and wrapped her in te pink blanket, making another sash with it.

I walked out of the front door and began to walk to Zecora's, walking through the Everfree Forest, the sun occasionally shining down on us in warmth. She smiled again and closed her eyes, occasionally looking up at me. I trotted gently down the path, looking at the leaves and trees. They were so beautiful in autumn.

Snakes slithered and bunnies hopped, Steam sometimes looking at them with a smile. I trotted as she watched the forest pass by slightly fast, but she was content through and through. We eventually found Zecora's hut in the beautiful tree. I knocked on the door and she opened it with a smile.

"Hello, my brown friend, I have much time to spend." She smiled, then noticed the bundle over my neck in the sash. "Oh, what's this? I thought you were not a Mrs., but rather a Miss."

I smiled and chuckled. "I found her in the Everfree Forest yesterday. She was all alone and I couldn't leave her there, so I took her home. I... I love her. What should I do, Zecora?"

"The filly is special, that much is true, but the question is, can she be raised by you?" She asked, tilting her head with a smile.

I put a hoof to my chin and Steam held onto the long fur, putting it in her mouth and suckling it with a smile. I hugged Zecora with one arm and turned around.

"I'll come by tomorrow, Zecora. I want to take care of Steam first."

"A good idea, my lovely friend, I do hope you keep her and win." She smiled, closing the door to her hut.

I was. I was going to win the right to have Steam Snowflake. I trotted at first, then broke into a full on gallop to Ponyville. I was out of breath by the time I got to Ponyville, and slowed to a trot. I could see Princess Twilight Sparkle's castle. True, she wasn't higher up like Princess Celestia or Princess Luna, or even Princess Cadance, but she was good enough for now.

I trotted to the castle and surprisingly, there was no line to get to the six Elements. I knocked on the door and it opened in violet aura, and I walked in slowly.

"Hello," Twilight Sparkle spoke with a smile.

"Hello, Princess Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, I've come from the Everfree Forest to ask you something. I know it's strange, but I don't think going all the way to Canterlot or the Crystal Empire would be worth my time if all of you were here."

They had astonished expressions, but Twilight soon spoke. "Tell us this strange event, please."

"I was walking in the Everfree Forest yesterday when I came across this filly. However, she's an Alicorn, but I don't know how. I don' want to give her up to the foster system and I don't want to give her to an orphanage. So my question is, can I adopt Steam Snowflake as my daughter?"

"Did you name her or something?" Rainbow Dash asked.

I shook my head. "No, she had a dog tag with that name on it. I left it back at my home, but I... I love her as if she were my own child! Please, allow me to raise her!"

They all exchanged glances before Twilight Sparkle spoke again. "We must discuss it between ourselves first. Please wait outside while we speak."

I nodded and closed the doors behind me, looking down at Steam. She played with my mane and giggled, smiling at me. Her pink eyes looked up at me as if I were a queen.

"Mama." She smiled so warmly.

I nodded with another smile. "Mama."

We waited out in the hall for a small time, but it felt like forever. I was soon allowed to reenter the room. I stood in the middle of them, facing the Princess.

"We will all voice our opinions to you first and then I shall give you the ruling to make sure we're on the same page." Twilight announced.

"I think she should be allowed to care for the filly," Rarity spoke with a smile. "She obviously seems fit to care for a filly. What's your name, dear?"

I couldn't believe in my haste I forgot to give my name! "My name is Lenora Lantern Glow, but please call me Lantern. I'm a Nitor Pony."

"You are very fashionable, I love your candelabra, dear! And your lantern is positively fabulous!" Rarity squealed.

"Ah think she should care for the filly. She clearly cares about her deeply." Applejack smiled.

"I think she'd make a great mommy! I mean, look at her face!" Pinkie Pie smiled, squishing my face.

Steam tapped my face and smiled. "Mama!"

"See, even Steam agrees!" Pinkie smiled before sitting back down.

"You're a good mare, Lantern. I think you should keep her." Rainbow Dash said.

"I agree with Rainbow Dash... You are very kind," Fluttershy squeaked quietly.

"Then it's settled. Lenora Lantern Glow, Steam Snowflake is your adoptive daughter from her on out. We will investigate what happened to her, however we make no promises."

"Th-Thank you all! Thank you so much!" I smiled, holding Steam up in the air. "Say mama!"

"Mama mama! Mama happy!" She giggled.