• Published 25th Jun 2014
  • 751 Views, 13 Comments

The Everfree Guide's Daughter - xXSheltieXx



Lantern Glow is a very kind and loving Nitor Pony with a very rare ability. She has a photographic memory and loves to help ponies through dangerous places.

  • ...
0
 13
 751

The Asylum

Steam Snowflake sat in a padded cell, just staring at the wall. Simply staring; staring as if it would begin to speak and tell her everything she wanted to know. Mr. Woofs sat by her, always watching and never leaving. Steam ate the bland food given and drank the stale water, never complaining about the taste. In fact, she didn't speak at all. She only mumbled to herself quietly, and the only things made out were frightening.

Where am I.

Who am I.

Why am I me.

What am I.

And something else strange: she had a British accent. She didn't speak like that or enunciate like that when she had her memory. Steam Snowflake never spoke to the staff; not the nurses, not the doctors, no pony, not even Princess Luna. Even when Luna had gotten words from her, their conversations were short lived.

Steam was in a straight jacket all the time, her wings bound to her sides and her horn covered in an Anti-Magic cloth. Her Cutie Mark had disappeared along with her memory. She didn't even speak to Mr. Woofs. He had tried many times, but she never replied. She usually sat in the corner of the padded cell, rubbing her head against it gently.

"Steam, please, speak to me," Mr. Woofs frowned, walking over to her.

She didn't respond. She only had her hollow gaze on the square in front of her.

"Steam,"

"What do you want?" She growled, not looking at him.

"Steam, you have to talk to the doctors and nurses if you want to get better." He explained.

She blinked slowly, turning her gaze towards him slightly. "What is better?"

"Being yourself! Who you were! Who you wanted to be!" He yelled, frowning.

"I don't know myself."

"Steam, you wanted a husband, to be an artist, four foals! Two colts and two fillies, a colt, then filly, filly, and colt. Then you can protect the colt, and he can protect his little sister. They'll protect their little sister, and they with that sister will protect the last colt. And that colt will protect me, Mr. Woofs, and I will protect him. Don't you remember?" He whimpered.

"I don't want to remember."

"You have to! Your mother's dying!"

Steam Snowflake's body began thrashing, her head tossing side to side as she went into a panic mode. She cried and yelled, shouting, breaking her bonds on her horn and wings. She flared her wings and began shooting magic everywhere, angered and confused.

Doctors and nurses ran in, trying to contain her. Her name plate read that she was highly dangerous, but she had no indication of being dangerous since just then. Princess Celestia had put her in that particular ward for every pony's certain safety. Steam had fought off all of the guards, nurses, and doctors, in a single fit of blind and confused rage and terror.

The only thing that calmed her was the familiar touch of a navy pony who had rarely left Steam Snowflake's cell. Princess Luna hugged her from behind, rubbing her mane.

"Hush, hush," She cooed.

Steam's wings packed in, her horn calming as the other ponies backed away from the Princess and Alicorn. Luna ran her hoof through her mane gently, soothing her.

"Who...?" Steam muttered as she laid down, exhausted from her terror.

"I am Princess Luna,"

"Princess... Luna?" She asked, narrowing her eyes as she still hugged the Princess.

"You call me Luna, okay?" Luna replied, running her hoof down her back.

"Luna...?"

"You may ask me anything." Luna said hastily.

"Who... was I?" Steam asked, looking at the wall. "Who was Steam Snowflake?"

Luna smiled. "Steam Snowflake was a beautiful blue Alicorn. She was nice and gentle, and cared about every pony around her. She cared for every pony and everything, and felt sorrow for those who could not feel. She turned her stuffed dog into a self-aware being named Mr. Woofs because she knew he could feel and see... he just couldn't move. Steam Snowflake loved her mother dearly. Her name is Lenora Lantern Glow. She will be blind in her left eye and most likely will never walk again. She is to wake up in about two months. Steam sat by her mother's side and begged her to wake up. She was so distraught, so upset, so... secretive about her pain, that a powerful being called the Miasma, one that had taken myself and Rarity before, took over Steam's body. She wasn't able to save her mother and she got hurt during the fight to bring the real Steam Snowflake back. Steam and the Miasma were both injured. The Miasma is permanently in its prison on the moon, and no pony knows where Steam Snowflake's memories are. The only one who would know is you." Luna explained.

"But... who am I?" Steam asked, tears streaming down her face. "I don't understand!"

"I know, but you will." Luna cooed gently.

"H-How do you know?" Steam asked, looking up at her.

"I just have a feeling. I cannot explain it." Luna replied quietly.

Steam let go of the Princess, her wings splayed on the floor, dragging as she sat in the corner, her head on the wall. Luna sighed and stood, walking out of the room, leaving Steam Snowflake and Mr. Woofs alone.

"Sister, I-"

"Do not bother," The navy Alicorn spat with venom. "I know you're sorry, but sorry doesn't cut it, sister!"

Princess Celestia's lip trembled as she watched her younger sister gallop away, looking at Steam Snowflake. The other Alicorn was bumping her head against the wall, crying out loud as other ponies put up a steel door and locked it tightly. Other nurses filed by to put her in a straight jacket and Anti-Magic cloth over her horn, tying them both so tight she could barely move.

"I never meant for this to happen," Celestia whimpered as she trotted away sadly. "This is truly my fault once more."