• Published 19th Jun 2014
  • 426 Views, 3 Comments

Sparkling Field Research: RotE Episode 10 - Dream Volt



Twilight fights the Smooze, vistis Asgard, deals with Luna and the Queen of bat ponies arguing, and most terrifying of all, an old earth pony.

  • ...
6
 3
 426

Lockie

The world tree, Yggrassil, was amazing. I was just looking at a random patch of rather boring bark but it didn't matter. The magic was incredible, not just in its power, but it's intricacy. Then I sighed. Sadly I really needed to end it right here. Anything further in depth would leave me here far too long, and entirely too distracted. Also I knew all I really needed to know.

"…so yea." continued Song "He totally earned the title of god of thunder in the bedroom if you know what I mean."

"Of course I know what you mean." Blossom yelled. "You've just spent the last two and half hours telling me every sordid detail. There is unfortunately no possible way I could not get what you mean."

"Cloudckicker is totally right, you really do need to get laid."

I turned just in time to see Sweetsong turning to face me. She couldn’t see Blossomforth just off the ground behind her, hooves in the air, slowly moving forward. I wasn't quite sure what she intended to do but when she charged I dodged out of the way. I think Song moved right before I did, not after. In any event Blossom hit the tree with a loud clunk, but was soon in the air again, glaring at Song, one hoof on her head.

"Seriously Blossom, chill. You know stressing like this is your problem."

To my surprise Blossom sighed and looked down. "You're right, it's just…" Her brow clenched tightly. "That mare always drove me nuts and I swear she's gotten worse."

"You say that, but how bad could she be."

Blossom laughed. "How bad? She's like an innuendo machine."

I nodded. "It's true. I even thought to record her since she seemed to be a living catalog of all innuendo in existence. Unfortunately while I thought to waterproof it, the transmitter wasn't cloud compliant so when she shucked it off it fell though the floor."

"As in she was about to have some fun?" asked Sweetsong

I nodded. "If by fun you mean sex, almost certainly. I still don't understand why she would take it off. The transmitter was set it a nice necklace Rarity made and every other time she didn't bother so why this particular…"

"How are you both so calm about this? Don't you understand what you're talking about."

I nodded. "Of course. While I find it a waste of time it is a fascinating subject, with a wealth of study if you know where to look. Though for some reason some studies are grouped in with more base materials simply because of subject matter."

"But seriously Blossom, you seem way more wigged out about this than you should be. No matter how bad she is."

Blossom took a deep breath. "You don't understand. I had to be very careful to avoid saying she worked under me because she would always make a comment when I did. I needed to make sure she flew in front of me all the time because while she would always claim I was checking out her butt, and coduln't do things the other way because the comments she would make were worse. She would…"

"I get it." Said Song "This is like your long list of stuff Dash did to annoy you right?"

She nodded. "Yes. You have to understand one of my subordinates was constantly hitting on me, and everypony else, while the other was an arrogant lazy cloud loving braggart. It was unbearable."

I sighed. "And you literally couldn't. Though really Dash isn't that bad."

She sighed. "I know. It's just." She stomped a hoof. It's frustrating. I'm sorry but clearly I have a short a fuse with anything involving Cloudcicker or Dash."

"I doubt it's that bad. Don't worry about it, we're cool. So you done Dutchess?"

I sighed "Yes. Hopefully Sleipnir's next lesson will be more informative because I can't think of anything else to examine with the tree that won't be a far more involved process."

"What do you mean?" asked Song "And remember that neither of us is a unicorn."

"Well it's like right now I've read the book on the tree, and the next obvious step is read all the books in the footnotes for greater context."

"Uh…." Began Song

"And you can't start the, in your example, first book from the first footnote because?"

"Well…" I began "It isn't a perfect analogy. I could probably do something useful with a full week, but I'm actually examining magical structure in minute detail, and with no sense of the whole part it's useless. I could study it in less detail some, but I doubt I would learn anything new."

"I see."

"I guess I do too." Added Song

"If I could think of something specific to look for, a singular spell or effect to look for that could be useful, but unless that happens I'm done."

"So we can leave then? You see…" Began Song.

I nodded. "I know about the bard and you're free to go. I'll just go back to my room and read the rest of the day. You could probably go now if you want to Blossomforth."

"I'll escort you to your room at the very least."

"Thank you." I said

"Aww, it got all boring. Boo. Boo."

I looked around for the voice. It sounded a lot like Pinkie, but it was a little off somehow. Before I could move suddenly she was in my face. She sure looked like Pinkie, despite the black mane and neon green fur. She was also upside down in my face somehow, which also screamed Pinkie. Then she smiled and I wanted to scream, but just fell backwards onto my flank trying to scramble away from her. Her teeth were row upon row of perfect triangles, fit together to form an orderly zigzag across her mouth.

Then I noticed a few more details. First she was just floating in the air, upside down in front of me. While Pinkie sometimes seemed to ignore gravity this mare took it to a whole different level. She had a golden circlet on, though most of it was hidden in her hair. The strangest thing about it were two long thin golden horns that curved out and up, then after a bit back and slightly down. Her cutie mark was a golden padlock. Yet this wasn't what made me absolutely sure this wasn't my friend. It was the utter lack of emotion in her eyes. Whether it was anger, sadness, or most likely happiness, you didn't even need to look at the rest of her face to see Pinkie's emotions. Sometimes more literally than should be possible, but that's not the point.

"You're not Pinkie."

"Of course not dear sorceress supreme. No, my name's Lockie. Pleased to meet you." She held out a hoof. "I think we're going to have a lot of fun together."

There was utter silence. The first thought I had was other than the hovering Pinkie was actually weirder. The second was the more I heard of her voice the more disturbing it got. I think it was slightly deeper and more coarse, but the worst part was how close it was. Just enough that you were sure it wasn't the same, but similar enough that being sure exactly what was different was impossible. Of course there was one more thing I finally thought to pay attention too. Her aura was not even close to Pinkie's. I couldn't tell too much about it, only that it was very strong and the details hidden by the chaos magic flowing through it. I then stood up, trying to look calm and confident. Most likely failing to some degree.

"Why do you look like Pinkie?"

She spun a few degrees to the left, holding a hoof to her chest. "Me? I'm not the one copying her, she's the one copying me."

"Well that sure sounded like something Pinkie would say." Said Blossom

"Except her aura makes her more like Discord's long lost sister."

Lockie rolled her eyes. "Oh please. I'm the true goddess of chaos and mischief, comparing me to that thief is just plain insulting."

"What to do you mean by…" I shook my head. "No, first explain why you and Pinkie look so similar, then your relationship to Discord."

"Isn't it obvious?" Lockie then laughed "She is one of my descendants. I have lot of those you know. She looks like me just like you look like Clover the Clever."

I smiled "Really? I know she's my ancestor, but I thought Celestia was just being nice."

"No, other than color you're her spitting image. She was far greener. I much prefer the purple version though, much sexier."

I blinked, saying nothing.

"It's the same with a few of your friends actually. Rarity really is the picture of Princess Platinum. Well, almost. She was actually as tall as Ms. Sunnybutt."

"Do you mean Celestia?" I asked

She laughed. "Remember, you said it, not I."

I glared at her in response.

"Applejack does look like smart cookie except she was red I think. Honestly she was always so boring I don't remember her that well. Her line joined the apples a few generations down the line, infusing even more boring into a terrifyingly stable and dependable family."

"Hey, Applejack is my friend and…"

"Point is the last two were Hurricane and Pansy. They got married of course since despite the name Pansy, he was a stallion."

"I knew that. So only Fluttershy or Dash…"

"It's been a long time, so both of them are actually. Though remember Steelwing is the little queen's father, so she has the more direct link. Fluttershy only has the same color scheme as Hurricane though."

"Little queen?" asked Sweetsong.

"What about pudding head?" I asked

"Oh, let me show you."

Then there was suddenly a male version of Pinkie in front of me. His mane was a dark chocolate brown, and his hide a brilliant orange. He still had Lockie's cutie mark and strange crown though. Then suddenly she was back to female, but now looking more like an oversized version of Dash with Fluttershy's colors. It was only then I realized how much alike the two actually are. Not quite identical, but with a little color changing spell or maybe some body paint Fluttershy could probably make a very convincing Rainbow Dash. It was odd I'd never noticed before. Body language is really important in all sorts of ways clearly.

"That is really freaky." Said Sweetsong.

"I agree." Added Blossomforth.

"How close are they related actually?" I asked

"Oh not close at all at this point. Dear Ditzy's line is just one fun bit of the vast gulf that separates them. But no matter how interesting the genetics of the elements is I already know all about it, so it's boring. Lets do something more fun."

It was then I noticed Lockie was a considerable distance from us, sitting on a branch of the world tree, kicking her back legs like a little foal. Then she smiled. The vastly enormous wolf was suddenly just there. It didn't look too different from Sleipnir's own wolves save for a few details. It even had the same saber toothed fangs. The most obvious being that it could swallow most buildings in Ponyville in one bite. It was certainly bigger than the Ursa Minor that was led to Ponyville. And I thought Sleipnir's were big. The second is it was a mix of grey, white, and black stone with red glowing orbs where it's eyes should be.

"Now remember Fenrir, they're mortal, or at least near enough to mortal, so play nice."

"Yes mom." Fenrir's voice echoed like thunder

"Good, now all of you have fun. By the way miss Sparkle, I suggest you take a hint from your servants and get moving."

It was only then I realized Sweetsong and Blossomforth were already in the air. I took the opportunity to teleport as far away as I could see. A long-range teleport would be better, but I'm not familiar enough with the area to risk it. Well I did spend several hours staring at the side of a tree in great detail even if I wasn't really looking at it, but that's the last place I want to go. Then the ground began to shake.

Author's Note:

If you don't get the gender issues then you don't know anything about the original legends of Loki. You don't get to see a whole lot of her here, but I am going to have fun with her.

Also obviously this is nothing like the Winningverse.