• Published 18th Jun 2014
  • 5,302 Views, 30 Comments

A Ghost of a Nightmare - Wildcard25



The Ghostbusters are back and ready to protect Equestria from the ghost of Luna's darkest side that's back and out for vengeance.

  • ...
4
 30
 5,302

Nightmare's Return

One night deep in the ruins of the castle of the Royal Pony Sisters in the Everfree Forest, pieces of blue armor were lying around looking damaged until the moonlight shined through a window and onto the pieces.

They started glowing and levitated off the ground. Then multiple purplish blue wisps of smoke started emerging from the walls. The wisps started swarming around the armor, before something started taking form. Suddenly appearing inside the castle was Nightmare Moon glowing with her own dark aura. She let out a laugh.

"Finally, after such a long time I managed to finally regain enough magic to reconstitute myself," she looked up at the moon, "And all I had to do was draw in the magic Luna constantly uses on the moon to raise and lower it. And now that I am my own being and stronger than ever, I will personally see to it that Equestria lives in the dark of the night forever! But before that I must get rid of some lose ends that stand in my way. Starting with my weak self!" she let out a maniacal laughter that echoed throughout Everfree.

Meanwhile in Canterlot castle inside Luna's chambers, the princess of the moon who was resting her eyes suddenly snapped open and she let out a cry of fright, "NO!"

Celestia barged in, "Luna, are you ok?"

"Sister, I just had the most terrifying nightmare." Luna panted in fright.

"That was no nightmare, Luna. I had it too." Celestia explained in dread.

"What?" the princess of the night gasped, "But how is this possible?"

"I am not certain how, but I do know what this means for us, for our subjects, and for Equestria."

"What can we do?" Luna asked in worry.

"The only thing we can do. We need the Ghostbusters."

"But can they defeat my own dark half?" Luna wondered.

"If they could defeat the ghost of Sombra, I believe they can do the same to her." Celestia assured her.

Luna knowing her sister was right nodded, "Right. I myself will personally deliver this news to them at once." She stood still and concentrated as her magical aura surrounded her.

Meanwhile in New York City at the Ghostbusters HQ that very night, each of the Ghostbusters were in their beds sleeping peacefully. Deep in Peter Venkman's subconscious, the de facto leader was having a dream that he was receiving a major award for unknown reasons.

Peter stood on a stage before accepting his award from a beautiful woman who kissed him, before he turned to face the audience, "Thank you, thank you. I am proud to accept this award for all I've accomplished. But let's face it, who could be better suited to receive such an award than me?" he joked, until he saw the audience disappearing, followed by the stage, and even his own reward, "Hey, what's going on?" he looked around seeing he was standing in a void.

Suddenly the other three Ghostbusters appeared, "Hey, what's happening?" Ray asked.

"Guys, what're you doing in my dream?" Peter inquired.

"You're dream? I was busy having my own dream until I wound up here." Winston explained.

"Egon?" Ray asked their genius.

"It seems somehow our minds have crossed links in our dreamscape, but how I do not know." Egon theorized.

"That was my doing." they heard a royal female voice, and suddenly appearing out of thin air was Luna.

The Ghostbusters were confused, until Ray spoke up, "Wait a minute, Princess Luna?"

"Correct Raymond Stanz of the Ghostbusters." she nodded.

The others remembering everything felt relieved it wasn't another dream ghost, "Well if this isn't a small world?" Peter said, as the four approached.

"It's been quite a long time hasn't it?" Winston asked her.

"Yeah, we haven't seen you in about four months." Ray noted.

"Indeed." Luna nodded.

"But what're you doing here?" Ray asked.

"Yes, aren't you supposed to be in Canterlot with your sister?" Egon put in.

"I am Princess of the night. One of my many duties is to come into the dreams of others to ensure they have peaceful dreams and not be frightened by nightmares."

"Well I wasn't having a nightmare." Ray said.

"Neither was I. In fact it was a very good dream!" Peter crossed his arms.

"Obviously." Egon replied dryly, knowing all his good dreams involve him being rewarded and such.

"I'm afraid I've come here on important business. I need you four to come back to Equestria."

"Equestria, what's wrong?" Ray asked, as the others were concerned.

"I'm afraid another old enemy has returned and has taken on spectral properties like the ghosts you deal with."

"Who is this old enemy?" Winston asked.

She answered, "Have you been told of the tale of Nightmare Moon?"

"No, but if you hum a few bars we can fake it." Peter joked, only for the other three to send him a glare.

Luna sighed, "This was over a thousand years ago. You know how it's always been the responsibilities of me and my sister to maintain day and night? Well back then I was bitterly jealous of my sister seeing that the ponies would always frolic and play in her sunlight, but they would only sleep in my moonlight. Eventually my jealousy consumed me and I rebelled against my sister by refusing to lower the moon. My rage and jealousy corrupted me and I took on a dark form, known as Nightmare Moon."

The Ghostbusters watched as Luna used her magic to project the event that happened during Celestia's confrontation with Nightmare Moon. They watched in shock seeing the two alicorns go at it without holding back, especially Nightmare Moon. Luna continued, "Celestia tried to reason with me, but I was too far gone. With no other options, she used the elements of harmony to banish me to the moon."

"Whoa." Ray gasped.

"Banished up there for so long? That had to be boring." Peter noted.

Luna nodded, "Then a thousand years later on the night before the Summer Sun Celebration I was released and swore to make nighttime last forever. When Twilight Sparkle knew of the elements of harmony, she and her friends ventured into me and my sister's former castle to retrieve them. Despite the obstacles thrown at them they overcame them and used the elements to purge the darkness out of my heart."

"So then how is it possible she suddenly came back after all this time?" Winston asked.

"I believe it is partly due to me," Luna sighed in guilt, "From what the vision I saw of her is true, her essence that was leftover inside the old castle has been drawing my magical power off the moon and using it to reform. Now that she and I are no longer one, she has her own power, and whatever ghostly abilities that comes with her."

"Sounds like a dangerous combo." Ray admitted.

Luna nodded, "I plead with you all to return to Equestria and help us in ridding the land of the former darkness that tried to plunge Equestria into eternal nighttime."

The Ghostbusters after processing all they were told huddled up, while Luna waited for their answer. They broke, and Peter spoke, "Princess Luna, you have engaged in our services."

Luna looked joyed, as she used her magic to levitate the four into her embrace, "Oh, thank you, dear Ghostbusters! I shall forever be eternally grateful to you."

"You're welcome!" Ray groaned at how tightly she was embracing the four.

Luna realizing how uncomfortable they were released them, "My apologies."

"No problem, but can it wait until morning? We don't exactly work well without a good nights sleep." Peter said.

"Of course. I shall have my sister ready the portal for you tomorrow." she nodded.

"Then we'll see you then." Ray said.

"Until then, Ghostbusters." Luna vanished, as the dream world vanished with each of them going back to sleep.

Back at the castle, Luna came out of her trance and spoke to her older sister, "They will come."

Celestia sighed in relief, "Then I must send a letter to Twilight right away." Celestia said as she took her leave.

Luna went out to her chamber balcony and looked out into the kingdom and beyond, 'This time I am ready to face you.' she thought.