• Published 15th Jun 2014
  • 727 Views, 11 Comments

the Writing Games - ArtichokeLust



When Rainbow Dash writes the worst story in the history of ever, Twilight Sparkle decends to teach her friend the true beauty of the art she just committed sacrilege against. Not discouraged in the slightest, Rainbow Dash writes some more.

  • ...
3
 11
 727

the story of Queen Forever

Rainbow Dash breathed heavily as she struggled to open the door. A puddle was forming from all the sweat rolling off her as she tried to grasp the doorknob with her shaking wing, and failed repeatedly. After several misses, she bit the doorknob and turned it.

That's how she knew she'd gotten some good practice in.

But as Rainbow trotted inside, she saw a pony sitting on her cloud-couch in the dark. No, an alicorn.

The alicorn stared at Rainbow Dash with a strange look on her face; it was as if she thought all the goodness would be drained out of the world if Rainbow Dash didn't read her books or something.

"Hey Twilight." Rainbow smiled, but tilted her head. "What are you doing in my house?"

"This is an intervention, Rainbow Dash," Twilight said with a serious gleam in her eyes.

Rainbow Dash blinked. "If this is an intervention—" She looked left and right "—shouldn't there be more ponies around? I thought those things were supposed to be done by—"

"Semantics." Twilight waived her hoof, dispelling Rainbow Dash's argument with some word she had never heard before. "...I'm sure you know why I'm here?" Twilight raised an eyebrow.

Rainbow Dash deadpanned. "No. No, I don't know. That's why I asked you what you were doing in my house."

Twilight blinked a couple times. "Oh! Well—" She picked up a stack of papers sitting beside her on the couch and turned it so Rainbow Dash could see the cover "—remember this?"

The cover beheld a red and black alicorn with a glowing blond mane discharging a blue ball of energy from its mouth. Several foals were clinging to the alicorn's back, crying, hoping beyond hope that they would be saved. In the background, several nuclear explosions went off, and planets could be seen exploding in the night sky.

Rainbow Dash smiled slowly as she looked over the cover. "Oh yeah!" she said. "That's a copy of my 'Ultimate Pony Fighters, ultimate power'. You kept it?"

Twilight blinked. "As an example."

Rainbow Dash smiled even wider. "So my work is— is—" She frowned and rubbed her chin. “What’s that word you always use?"

"Exemplary?" Twilight raised an eyebrow.

Rainbow Dash nodded. "Yeah, that one. Thanks."

"Well, in a way..." What did she mean by that?

Rainbow Dash almost shrugged off the skepticism and smiled at the praise, but when she looked at her friend, she knew something was off. "What do you mean: 'in a way'?"

Twilight sighed. "Rainbow Dash, your story is..."

"Yes?" Rainbow Dash raised an eyebrow.

"Well..." Twilight cringed. "It's not..."

Rainbow Dash glared at her friend in annoyance. Why did she even come here if she couldn't say what she wanted? "Spit it out already!"

"Your writing is horrible!" Twilight screamed.

Rainbow Dash frowned. "...Oh..." Her voice cracked.

Twilight hopped off the couch and galloped to her friend. "I'm sorry, I didn't—"

"No, I get it." Rainbow Dash stared at the floor. "You're the princess of books. How could I make a book worthy of—"

"Don't be like—" Twilight started to interrupt, but something caught her attention. "Princess of books? What?"

"Discord came up with the name. It kinda stuck."

Twilight blinked. She was blinking a lot, was something in her eyes? "Anyway, don't be like that: your book wasn't that bad."

Rainbow Dash looked up and frowned. "You just said it was horrible."

Twilight frowned and put a hoof to her mouth. "Well, you pushed me. Really it could just use a few improvements, and then it'll be great."

"Really?" Rainbow Dash tilted her head. "You didn't make it sound like it could be saved."

"Sorry." Twilight smiled sheepishly.

"...okay..." Rainbow Dash squinted, then sighed. "So, what are these 'few improvements?"

Twilight frowned. "Well, it's hard to explain, and if I just told you, you probably wouldn't understand any of it."

Rainbow Dash deadpanned.

"So how about we try making a story together?" Twilight grinned. "I'll ask questions that you should keep in mind later —to make sure your readers are better involved!"

Rainbow Dash tried not to roll her eyes This was obviously going to take a while, but she didn't really have anything better to do, and she didn't want to disappoint her friend. "Sure. Sounds fun."

Twilight smiled enthusiastically. "Great!" She clapped her hooves together. "You go first."


"CHAPTER ONE!" Rainbow Dash stomped her hoof. Instead of a loud reverberating clash announcing the story, there was a soft *pomf*, because there was only cloud below her. She frowned, but really, it didn't matter: nothing could detract from the awesome that was about to come, because the awesome was infinite. And that gave her an idea…

"Queen Forever held the villain against the wall by the throat ‘WHERE ARE THE KEYS!?' She screamed loud enough that the stallions ear-drums ruptured and gallons of blood shot out with enough pressure to annihilate his two associates.

"The stallion laughed, 'I'll never tell you...'

"'So you choose 'the hard way', huh?' The queen grinned. 'Good.'

"Then she taps her head to the stallion, and all of his memories come flooding through. Of course, this is nothing to her. She finds what she wants in an instant!

"'I know where the key is.' She smiles as she fires an energy ball at the stallion, finishing him off. 'But does anyone else think they can take me?'

"A stallion shakes his head. 'No,' he says, 'But I think I may join you—

"STOOOOOOOOOP!" Twilight held her head as she screamed. It took a while for her to notice she was now the only one making noise.

Rainbow Dash stared back at her friend. Why was she all sweaty now? And was she paler than usual?

"Just..." Twilight shook her hoof and looked at her friend with weary eyes. "Fuck."

Rainbow Dash gasped with a wide smile. "I haven't heard you swear in... ever! Was it really that good?"

Twilight glared back. She looked pretty serious. She was just staring like that, with that intense look... But then she sighed. Maybe she forgot something. "Rainbow Dash..."

"Yes?" Rainbow Dash tilted her head. What was going on with her friend?

Twilight must have remembered Cadence's breathing practice, because she was practicing it, and somewhat frantically too.

"Rainbow… Well, first, you changed tense in the middle of the story.”

“I what?” Rainbow Dash asked.

Twilight shook her head. “Never mind. Who is Queen Forever?"

"Oh!" Rainbow Dash smirked. "She's eternity; she's the guardian of the universe!"

"Okay," Twilight said. "How did she get to be the guardian of the universe? What's her origin?"

Rainbow Dash smiled wryly. What kind of question was that? "She was always the guardian of the universe. She doesn't have an origin. Queen forever?"

Twilight face-hoofed. "Okay then, who are the villains? Where did they come from?"

"Oh, they've always been there. They're always doing bad things, but Forever always stops them," Rainbow Dash said.

"So," Twilight said. "Nothing ever changes?"

Rainbow Dash opened her mouth to protest, but nothing came out. Twilight might have actually had a point there. After all, in all the Daring Do books there were always bad guys, but they weren't the same bad guys, and each side had chances that they took to gain and lose. Queen Forever... well, she had everything. She could do everything. And so there was no challenge... So maybe being able to do everything meant there was nothing left to do...

Bah! Philosophical nonsense! Twilight must have infected her with her egg-headiness... It was like they said: Once you go egg, you'll be egg 'till you're dead. Just like syphilis. But when in Syphily...

Rainbow Dash smirked. A game was always more fun when your opponent had a chance of winning, and Twilight's attack was surprisingly good.

"Okay Twilight, I'll give you that one," Rainbow Dash said, still smirking. "But I think I've got something even better now."

Twilight smiled warily. "Oh?"

Rainbow Dash grinned even more competitively. "Today I'll tell you all about the rise of Silent Mouse, a deaf, blind, legless stallion orphan that nopony thought would amount to anything! But oh were they wrong..." She shook her head, still grinning.

Twilight facehoofed.

Author's Note:

I had a pony idea, so I had to relieve myself. I'm not sorry.

I chose the song because baby noises.

Did you know you can replace paragraphs in Microsoft Word by representing them as '^p'? It's great for getting the spacing right for FimFiction.