• Published 16th Jun 2014
  • 3,962 Views, 122 Comments

Blossoming Roses - Storm butt



Stand up straight, keep your apperance, be perfect. These are just a few things that Prince Blueblood believes is required of a common prince. It wasn't until he met Fancy Pants did he begin to see the world a little less demanding of himself

  • ...
16
 122
 3,962

Deadhead

Fancy Pants let his cyan blue eyes fall past the large red curtains that partly concealed the windows that towered over his head. He found himself looking outside to the fountain spewing bits of water about. The liquid seemed to glow with the light behind them, a dance of brightness on the surface.

The unicorn stared for quite some time, yet nopony was able to lift his spirits quite like he desired when he looked to the ponies on their way in and out of the restaurant.

“Honestly Fancy Pants, if I didn’t know you so well I would say you were developing a nasty little habit for tall tales.” Hoity Toity spoke as he leaned over the table. He swiped up the large bottle of champagne with his hoof as he brought it to his own glass.

“You know me better than that,” Fancy Pants mumbled while he lifted his hoof when the bottle moved in the direction of his own glass. The earth pony tossed him a frown when Fancy Pants had denied the drink.

Fancy Pants gave the glass a bit of a shove forward. He folded his legs onto the table, resting his head on top of them as a sigh escaped his lips. with trays of food to the violin and piano players whose instruments filled the room with a pleasant tune.

“Honestly, do you ever listen?” Hoity Toity frowned as he lowered his thick purple sunglasses low enough for Fancy Pants to spot a look of concern and annoyance. “Give me a little faith, I believe somepony like you to tell me the truth. Your jokes aren’t very high witted or thought-out.”

“Har har.” Fancy Pants rolled his eyes as he watched a waiter dressed in a white dress shirt with black buttons, the white fur on his body giving the stallion an embarrassingly large amount of hope. The large restaurant wasn’t particularly busy, which at least gave him plenty of room to breathe and ponder to his own thoughts. At least it would have been a calm moment if he wasn’t seated next to Hoity Toity.

“I’m just saying,” Hoity Toity lifted both hooves in a bit of an over dramatic cry of innocence as he readjusted his glasses. “If I believed every pony who said they had gotten good with royalty I wouldn’t be where I am now. I’m not that gullible.”

“Who has gotten good with anypony?” Fancy Pants looked to Hoity Toity as he raised his brow. “Just because I invited a friend out doesn’t mean that Blueblood and I have…”

“Ah, Blueblood,” Hoity Toity nodded his head. The grey stallion took a thoughtful sip of his champagne. “Your friend not boyfriend who you’re on a first name basis with and have spent the past three weeks with at least three times a week.”

“I didn’t invite you here to talk about my friends as if I couldn’t keep my hooves off of them,” Fancy Pants snapped, a hint of enjoyment in his tone at the banter. “I have a little bit of self control, unlike you.”

“Oh, what are we talking about now?”

Both stallions turned to Fleur De Lis, who approached the table with graceful steps, her magic grasping a plate full of greens. The pink mare seated herself quickly before running her hooves over her blue dress, one that had black stripes going down the sides. She looked to the two stallions before she rested her head on both hooves as she turned her attention between the two of them. She giggled, curiosity peaking in her eyes as a devious grin spread on her face.

“Oh I was just reminding Hoity Toity how he confessed his undying love to two different royal guards because he couldn’t remember which one was which.” Fancy Pants leaned into the table to stare through Hoity Toity’s shades into his dark blue eyes.

“I still ended up sleeping with both of them,” Hoity Toity swished his glass around as he gave a bit of a childlike giggle. “Who's to say that wasn’t my plan all along? The only thing more fun than one royal guard is two at once. Don’t lie to me, I know you know what that’s like, darling.”

“Why did I invite Blueblood here to meet you again?” Fancy Pants groaned, putting his face in his hoof as he shook his head. He began to tap his free hoof gently on the table. He breathed out slowly as thoughts rushed through his head.

“I take it he still hasn’t showed?” Fleur questioned her friend. She reached out her hoof to his to give it a brief squeeze. “Are you quite positive your letter reached him in time? It was a bit short-notice. Perhaps he was busy.”

“He replied stating he would come,” Fancy Pants mumbled as he bit the inside of his cheek. “He hired one of those express ponies to deliver it, too…”

“Honestly if you are telling high tales it’s a bit more realistic this way,” Hoity Toity laughed before he sipped at his glass. “I can name you a dozen stallions who cried when Prince Shining Armor got married, and it was mostly because they weren’t the ones up there with him. But Prince Blueblood is so…”

Fancy Pants looked to Hoity Toity, who was currently swirling his hoof around as if to fish out the right words.

“Bratty.”

Fancy Pants frowned at Hoity Toity’s words. The earth pony widened his eyes under his shades before he lifted his hoof to adjust the quickly. He quieted down for perhaps the first time that night.

“I hate to say this Fancy, darling,” Fleur grabbed his hoof in both of hers as she looked into his cyan eyes. “Hoity Toity does have a point.”

“Rude!” Hoity said rather loudly, though the two didn’t pay much attention to him.

“It’s just that the prince isn’t very sociable. He mostly keeps to himself and the times where others approach him he’s a bit rude.” Fleur rubbed the top of his hoof as she brought it close.

“The prince is actually quite charming if you give him some time…” Fancy Pants mumbled with a chuckle following soon after. “He can be rather adorable if you give him the space he needs to get comfortable” He paused, biting the end of his hoof as he looked once more out the window. “I just thought it might be time to introduce him to you both.”

“You mean introduce your new boy-toy?” Hoity Toity raised a brow from under his dark glasses. “You’ve been a bit distant these past few weeks. It’s rare for rumors about the royal family to not circle around like wildfire. I’m shocked you aren’t on the cover of one of those awful magazines just yet.”

“I highly doubt the royal family would like you calling the young prince a boy-toy to anypony.” Fleur spoke to the other, though a playful grin was on her lips as Fancy Pants rolled his eyes. The older unicorn reached forward to pour the bottle of champagne into his cup, the liquid swishing about.

“I’m glad you found somepony to get so excited about,” Hoity Toity joked, though a hint of serious nature hid beneath his words. “I truly am happy. It’s been what, eight months since you’ve touched a pony with the intention to grope them?”

Fancy Pants took a rather large drink of his champagne, closing his eyes as he did so in an attempt to ignore the burn racing down his throat. He finished the glass, soon pouring more before he swished the glass around in his hoof. He watched the upset liquid swish about, tossing and turning like a pony who couldn’t sleep.

“It’ll be nine if we don’t count the groping. I haven’t kissed him more than a peck on the cheek once or twice,” Fancy’s face was glum when he leaned the weight of his head onto his hoof. “I don’t even know if he enjoys my company like I do his.”

“Since when are you so tame about your men?” Hoity Toity grilled into the unicorn. “If I remember correctly you used to kiss first and ask names later.”

“Hoity.” Fleur spoke up when she looked to the earth pony with a sense of dull fire in her eyes. The fashionisto looked away from her, though his smile looked a tad guilt-ridden.

“I probably shouldn’t have invited him here anyway. He probably doesn’t like me if he isn’t showing up,” Fancy Pants took yet another drink from his glass. His face was beginning to feel a bit warm, his cheeks a flush of pink. “He doesn’t enjoy places with company. I highly doubt he would enjoy the wrath of Hoity Toity. I’m such a dunce. Why would he like somepony so old?”

“I’m beginning to question why I came out here tonight to be insulted.” Hoity grumbled under his breath, pushing his glass away while Fancy Pants poured another.

“You’re a bit eccentric, darling.” Fleur commented to the earth pony. “Fancy’s just a bit nervous is all. And Fancy, you’re worrying over so little.”

“He’s younger than me.” Fancy Pants mumbled, gripping his glass in both hooves. “I’ve never dated somepony with such a difference like this. I’m honestly surprised he’s let me toy with him this long about the idea.”

Another sip.

“Darling, I honestly don’t understand why you invited him here if you’re so intent on believing all of this.” Fleur frowned as Fancy Pants slouched over. He had begun to scratch through his mane with his free hoof until his hair appeared ruffled and frumpy.

“I thought…” Fancy shook his head as he pressed his hoof to his temple. He had begun to feel dizzy. “I thought he might not mind a crowd so much if he was invited personally to such a small group. He talks often about not having many friends. I just wanted him to feel welcome to join us so he wasn’t stuck in that castle all day long.”

“Oh the poor prince, stuck in his castle with a thousand guards and servants,” Hoity Toity spoke sarcastically while he rolled his eyes. “A thousand guards. That’s something I could get behind. Now why didn’t we go directly to him?”

“Because I don’t want my best friend to come off as the sex driven fiend that he really is.” Fancy Pants finished his glass, his vision a bit blurry. “I want him to like me, he’s the first pony in quite some time who I’ve approached… most ponies just want me because of my position. I suppose him and I relate a bit like that.”

“Oh, good. You can bond over how many ponies want to date you. Unlike me who has to work to get those ponies attention ” Hoity lifted his nose in a snooty manner, though by the way it faded quickly Fancy could tell it was a bluff. “Though honestly, I’ve never seen you this worked up over a silly little crush.”

“Crush is such a high school kind of word.” Fancy told Hoity Toity while he swatted at the air as if to push the words away. The unicorn giggled, as if he found his own words funny.

“I believe the alcohol is getting to him,” Hoity commented. “How much of that has he had anyway?”

“Far too much.” Fleur spoke as she yanked the glass away from his extended grasp with her magic. “Honestly you of all ponies in Canterlot never worry about dates like this. You’ve always been a bit of a lightweight. How many glasses did you have before I came here?”

“Two.” Hoity answered. “He always drinks when he’s nervous. He had about three more after you came.”

“He likes somepony else.” Fancy stated, slouching down until he was resting his chin on the table. The other two grew quiet when he spoke. “He likes somepony much younger and attractive and fit… memories are a strong thing, nopony is more fondly looked upon than those of your youth… he’s a real cutie though.”

Fancy giggled once more before he closed his eyes. “I don’t think I’ve ever aimed quite this high… he makes me just stop thinking about everything for a little bit when I’m with him… is it selfish to want to be around him for that? Just because he makes me happier than focusing on how I can’t complete a single dress?”

“Not at all, darling.” Fleur’s voice was gentle as she stroked her hoof down his mane. “Your face is quite red deary, the tabloids are going to have a field day if they see you in such a state. You don’t let yourself go like this very often.”

“Oh leht.” Fancy growled through his slurring as he cracked up eyes open. He waved his hoof as if to push the air beside him. “Better than a hundred stories about a dry spell in all this fashion crap… I can’t make a single dress withem breathing down my spine about it.”

There was a brief silence as Fancy Pants brought his front legs to the table, burying his nose in the fabric of his coat. He breathed in his own sent even though he knew it would begin to smell soon considering the amount of alcohol in his system.

“Is this all what normal ponies think ahbout love? Ahdot like it, tis vfer stressful.” Fancy Pants’ voice was quiet. He knew his words were beginning to slur, the alcohol beginning to really hit his system.

“Poor ponies in love.” Hoity mumbled under his breath. “We’re all cursed, rich or poor.”

“Fancy…” Fleur’s voice was sharp, her hoof poking into his side.

“I’m fine… I’m fine I’m just a little… You look gorgeous tonight Fleur, dah mention you that?”

“Fancy Pants.” Fleur snapped, forcing the stallion to open his eyes. He sat up halfway as her hoof pointed in the direction of the entrance to the restaurant. His eyes moved slowly, his vision taking a few moments to finish blurring. It was the golden armor of the royal guards that came to his sight first, though the stallion standing in front of them talking and pointing back outside the door was what held his attention.

“Oh no no no…” Fancy groaned as he buried his face in his hooves. His mind ached with trying to get his thoughts out. “I’m a mess.”

“I do believe that isn’t an option right now.” Fleur spoke as she rubbed his back. Her eyes snapped to Hoity Toity. “Can you talk to the prince, make it so he isn’t so surprised?”

“Do you really need to tell me to flock to the big stallions in armor?” Hoity laughed, though he did pat Fancy Pants on the shoulder when he got up, giving him a bit of a nod.

“I don’t know if I can walk… I’ll look awfully silly to Blueblood.” Fancy Pants shook his head, his mind still fuzzy. “He… He isn’t… I’m fine, I can… No I can’t…”

Fleur stood up slowly, grabbing him by the upper leg to pull him to his hooves. He reluctantly joined her by his side, his legs a tad shaky. As they walked through the crowd of ponies, many turned to glance at him leaning on the taller mare, his mane a mess and bow-tie crooked from all the fussing. It was a rather humiliating walk, one that made his belly clench the closer he got to the prince.

“And I must say, you are much more handsome up close than you are standing in the corner… But Fancy Pants right now is a tad...” Hoity Toity’s voice was polite when he talked to the prince, though Fancy Pants watched Blueblood’s eyes turn to him. He began pushing past the grey stallion to get closer to the older unicorn.

“F-Fancy, you’re… I didn’t mean to be so late. I just got tied up in so many things. I tried to get ready in time but I kept changing outfits and wasn’t sure what your friends would enjoy and I got lost in my own thoughts when I showered and time just…”

Blueblood was dressed in his usual outfit, though Fancy Pants still felt his heart give a thump despite his dizziness and muggy thoughts.

“You look beautiful.” Fancy Pants said in a slurry tone, the space between the two becoming very silent as he watched the white face of the prince turn a light shade of pink. “All… dressed up like that… in thoclothes…”

“I… Thank you,” The prince raised his hoof to pull on his mane, which looked like it had taken quite some time to brush. His expression quickly snapped back to reality as he looked at Fancy Pants. “Are you drunk, Fancy Pants?”

“I’m so sorry, Prince Blueblood.” Fleur spoke as she gave a bit of a bow, setting Fancy Pants down onto the ground against the wall where he slouched over, staring up at Blueblood. “Fancy Pants got worried that you were so late and had a bit too much to drink to pass the time.”

Blueblood frowned when Fancy Pants lifted his hoof up to the mare beside him, stroking her mane as he giggled. His face still felt warm, though the worry had lessened the more he let his mind drift from the situation.

“I have a carriage out front.” Blueblood’s eyes contained a hint of guilt. He got down to meet Fancy’s eye. “Fancy, do you want to go back to your place?”

“I’mnaht that drunk…” Fancy Pants mumbled. “Don’t talk to me likeahm a little kid.”

Blueblood frowned, the look he gave made Fancy Pants want to look away, his face feeling even more red than before. He reached out his hoof tentatively, pushing back Fancy Pants’ mane out of his eyes. Fancy lifted his hoof to grab the one on his cheek.

“I’m… sorryah ruined our little date, sweetheart.” His words were slow, yet sincere. “Ahdo believe I passed the tipsy line quite a while ago… are ya mad?”

Fancy Pants held Blueblood’s hoof to his cheek for just a few more moments, the coldness of it feeling swell on his warm face.

“You needen’t get so worried about me.” Blueblood sighed, pulling his hoof away. “I’ve never really seen this side of you. Sorry if I’m a bit lost for words. I’m not mad.”

“Is your carriage big enough for all four of us?” Hoity Toity asked, Fancy feeling a pat on his back from his friend as the voice grew closer. “Most carriages I take can only seat two at most, at least the ones I can afford.”

“It’s a… a royal carriage.” Blueblood seemed a bit nervous the more Fancy prodded him, the unicorn beginning to grasp for the prince’s buttons on his dress shirt. “It was custom made for the royal family to travel together, so it’s large to accommodate Princess Celestia’s size.”

“That’s what I call first class, honey!” Hoity’s voice contained excitement, a dopey smile on his face. “Fancy would have a field day with the designs and fabrics in that thing. Looks like I get all the fun to myself.”

“Here, let me take him.” Blueblood spoke to Fleur, who had begun to already take several steps forward. “I’m stronger. He weighs a lot more than he looks.”

When Blueblood wrapped a leg around Fancy Pants, the older unicorn could smell the scent of roses. He nuzzled into the other, Blueblood making a strange noise when he did so.

“Let’s hurry up and get out of here.” Fleur insisted as she stroked her hoof down Fancy’s mane. “He isn’t mean when he’s drunk thankfully, he is a bit touchy feely though.”

“I’m perfectly fine.” Fancy Pants grumbled, though he knew nobody believed him.

Fancy Pants let both Blueblood and Fleur lead him out the doors of the restaurant, Hoity Toity following soon in tow. His steps were jagged, his head swimming as he was dragged along.

Fancy Pants let his eyes shut, the world around him slowly becoming a blur.