• Published 12th Jun 2014
  • 428 Views, 7 Comments

The Seventh Pony - Essy



After having completed her training as a priestess at the Royal Castle, Essentia Tempera goes off to explore the world on her own. Her first and seemingly only stop is: Ponyville!

  • ...
6
 7
 428

Part 1 - Prologue

The evening sun descended just below the horizon, and the stars shone faintly in the ever-darkening sky. Everypony in Canterlot made their way back to their homes for the night, what with closing up shop and visiting with their families and all that, but one gray pegasus watched it all from the castle balcony in disdain.

“Why can’t they understand there’s more to life than just pompous social gatherings?” she asked herself quietly; it was then the pegasus remembered a single quote from her training as a priestess: “We are what our thoughts have made us.”

“You always used that quote advantageously in your training,” said a regal voice from behind. One of Essentia’s ears perked at the sound of royal hoof-steps, and she smiled at the familiarity of the Princess’ voice as it now resounded from beside her. “And it’s especially apparent in your choice of expression.”

Essentia rolled her eyes, albeit with a warm smile on her face.

“Are you going to recite another antic for me, ‘mom’?” The pegasus laughed a bit. “You’ve been doing that more and more frequently, you know.”

“Oh, not this time, although it is fun to embarrass you from time to time.” She nuzzled Essentia lovingly, like a mother would to her foal, before wrapping a wing around her in comfort. “It’s going to be a long while before I get to see you again.”

The pegasus realized what the Princess, having raised Essentia for the last 3 years, was going through. It was maternally driven, and Essentia accepted the warm embrace with no resistance on her part.

“I’ll be fine, Your Highness.”

“Please, just call me Celestia.” The alicorn grinned, removing her wing from Essentia. “And why not relax a while? Take off the pendant and let your coat breathe.”

Essentia was taken aback at the Princess’ behavior, but she nodded in understanding: Celestia just wanted to spend time with her before seeing her off on her travels.

The priestess inhaled slowly, and then exhaled composedly as she deliberately removed the crystal pendant from around her neck, and she smiled in relief as the prevention spell was lifted from her. She adjusted her violet mane upon erecting her head to look back up at the Princess, and her coat would gradually begin to show many psychedelic and symbolically patterned tattoos, all of which would go from her neck down to her hooves. Each leg had its own large decorative tattoo, and many of them along the rest of her body were traced with silver that glimmered with the coming night. She smiled genuinely once the spell was completely lifted, and she hugged Celestia.

“Thank you. It’s been too long.”

“I would have to agree…such beautiful craftsponyship.”

“But you’ve never liked my tattoos before, mom—I mean, uh…Celestia.”

“I have never truly appreciated the purpose of conventional body art or permanent illustrations on one’s coat. But the prospect of you leaving tomorrow has made me reconsider my perspective on the whole ordeal.”

“…That’s quite the change of heart over somepony like me…”

“You are an amazing priestess, Essentia. You have taught me just as many things as you have learned during your training. You are not ‘just somepony’, at least not to me.”

She smiled and leaned into Celestia lovingly, nuzzling the Princess’ wing. “So you’ll miss me being a smartass?”

“As much as I never thought I would say it…yes, I will.” She giggled.

Essentia laughed with Celestia, and she adjusted her body such that to sit just in front of the Princess, her head level with Celestia’s chest. She hugged one of the Princess’ legs, and she smiled genuinely.

“I’ll miss you scolding me and lecturing to me. You have always been like a mother to me.”

“And you, a daughter.”

Essentia craned her neck, and Celestia lowered hers. Tomorrow would be a new adventure for her, but, for now, she only wished to spend time with her guardian and caretaker. Of course, this moment of reflection was interrupted by the alicorn’s motherly callings.

“Now, just remember everything I told you. Do not pick fights with the ponies you encounter, even if you consider them to be drunk and/or stupid.”

“Yes, okay—.”

“And be sure to write to me within the week of your arrival to Ponyville.”

“Alright, yes, I understand—!”

“Don’t forget to eat on the train ride there, and do not sacrifice sleep for the sake of playing your sitar at ungodly hours in the morning.”

“…are you finished?”

“For your sanity: yes.” Princess Celestia hugged Essentia close to her. “You will do many great things and go on yet more great adventures. Your presence here at the castle will be missed, and I’ll be thinking of you every step of the way.”

Essentia had just now come to terms with her soon-to-be departure from Canterlot, and she nodded slowly in comprehension. Despite her verbose vocabulary and rather astounding intellect, all she could mutter was, “Me, too…”