• Published 8th Jun 2014
  • 1,452 Views, 61 Comments

MLPU: Captain Equestria: The First Harmony - TheInvincibleIronBrony



Applejack, just wanted to help. Becoming a hero wasn't something she had anticipated.

  • ...
5
 61
 1,452

A Day at Camp

“Alright you maggots, outta bed!” a gruff voice shouted causing Applejack to fall out of her bunk in surprise, her body impacting the hardwood floors of the cold barack. She quickly picked herself up and stood at the end of her bunk, the rest of her platoon just barely ahead of her. Applejack’s Drill Sergeant, Major Hardy, looked at her with what Applejack thought was disapproval for the umpteenth time since Applejack had arrived at Camp Nomad nearly a week ago. Applejack had failed to complete almost every exercise she had attempted since day one and this had caused her platoon to run laps until dusk every day.

However, Applejack didn’t care much about the physical exercises, because Dr. Reinstein had told her that her physical ailments wouldn’t effect the procedure she was to undergo in little more than a week. Of course that was assuming she was the candidate picked for the procedure.

“Everypony line up outside! You have ten seconds!” Major Hardy shouted, making Applejack wince. Not even the early mornings of farm life had prepared her for the difficulty of military life, but she was determined to push through it. “We got a few guests that wanna get a look at you,” the Major said as he exited the barracks, Applejack and the other soldiers following soon after.

Once outside Applejack lined up with her comrades, each of them still wearing the simple sweatpants and white undershirts they wore to bed and some of them, including Applejack, shivering slightly in the cold morning air. Most mornings would start with Major Hardy telling them what the day’s exercise was going to be, but Applejack noticed a standard issue Army truck parked nearby, a young, but disciplined looking stallion sitting at the wheel and an older, grumpier stallion in the back. The most peculiar passengers, however, was the diamond dog sitting in in the front passenger seat, and another stallion, sitting behind the dog, who looked to be a few years younger than Apple Bloom.

“Attention!” Major Hardy shouted as the ponies and dog climbed out of the vehicle, every soldier in the line standing straight and facing forward. The Major’s guests neared and all but the older stallion stopped, the approaching stallion going down the line of soldiers and inspecting them. He raised an eyebrow as he passed Applejack, but made no comment as he stood before the saluting Major.

“At ease Major,” the older stallion said before holding a whispered conversation with Major Hardy. The Major nodded at something the stallion said and then turned to the soldiers lined up in their pajamas.

“The stallion behind me is General Pants of the Equestrian Army. He is here for the final evaluation to see which of you is gonna be Dr. Reinstein’s first test subject,” Hardy announced. “He and I will be going over your psych evaluations and current scores, while Lieutenant Howlett,” Hardy continued, gesturing at the Diamond Dog,” will be running you through the day’s drills. Any questions?”

“No sir!” Applejack shouted along with the rest of her platoon.

“They’re all yours Lieutenant,” Hardy said to the diamond dog, who nodded back while he looked at the soldiers, seemingly unimpressed. Applejack took notice of her platoon mates and was relieved she wasn’t the only who thought the dog’s presence was strange.

The dog stepped in front of the group with the younger stallion who had been at the wheel of the truck as Major Hardy lead the general and the younger stallion to his office.

Howlett stared at the group, some of whom were giving him strange looks. “Yes, I am a diamond dog. I’m here as part of the joint war effort between our countries. I don’t care who any of you are, only why you’re here. I’m only putting my vote in for one of you and that’s all I’m here for,” the dog announced, his tone harsh. “Alright, enough standing around in your pjs, go get ready. I’m gonna make you wish Major Hardy was back before the end of the first exercise,” Lieutenant Howlett told them, Applejack and her platoon quickly filing back into the barracks to get dressed and get their gear.

/////////////////////////////////////////

“Let’s just get to business Hardy,” General Pants said as he entered the Major’s office in the administrative building. “Who are we putting in Reinstein and Dash’s contraption first?”

The younger stallion, Comet Dash, looked at the General quizzically. “Shouldn’t we wait for the Lieutenant’s opinion before we make a decision?” he inquired.

“If the candidate isn’t clear at this point, none of those ponies are going in,” the General said as he turned back to Hardy. “So which one?”

Major Hardy looked thoughtful for a moment. “It wasn’t an easy choice and my personal pick is some what of a surprise,” the Major said.

General Pants looked at Hardy, raising an eyebrow. “The small mare?” he asked, sounding less than convinced.

“Yes sir. Applejack Apple may not be as big as the others, but she has what we need,” Hardy replied, looking the General in the eye as he spoke. General Pants didn’t respond and Hardy took that as a sign to continue. “The first day I was put in charge of those ponies, I asked each of them why they were here, and every one of them told me ‘to serve my country’,” Hardy explained. “All of them, except that mare. When I asked her, she looked at me and said she was here to end the war,” Hardy told his superior, smiling at the memory.

General Pants nodded in understanding, while Comet looked between the two stallions confused. “Why is that a better answer?” Comet asked, being the only non-military stallion in the room.

“Because it means Ms. Apple has a clear goal in mind. She isn’t just going to walk into the war and take orders, she’s prepared to go in there and do what she needs to win the war,” General Pants answered, seemingly impressed. “How is she in her physical training?”

Hardy grimaced at the thought of the mare trying to run with her platoon. “She understands how to fight and shoot a gun, but she doesn’t have the muscle or the stamina to back it up,” Hardy confessed.

“That’s not really an issue,” Comet said, attracting the other stallion’s attention. “Dr. Reinstein’s serum puts a pony at peak physical condition, so it doesn’t matter if the pony is like Ms. Apple or an Equestrian Games body builder, the end result would make them as physically fit as a pony can possibly get,” Comet explained. “Of course that’s assuming any pony spends literally all of their time building muscle. No sleeping, no eating, just exercise.”

Hardy looked at Comet, his mouth open in shock. “So they’d be in a physical condition any other pony would have to kill themselves to get in?” he asked.

“Yes sir,” Comet answered, pleased smile on his face.

“Sounds like what we need on the frontlines,” General Pants replied.

////////////////////////////////////

“I hope for her sake she never ends up on the front lines,” Corporal Hurricane said to Lieutenant Howlett, who was sitting on a crate that had been in the back of the truck they had a arrived in, as they watched an orange mare trying to climb the rope wall on the obstacle course. The mare was about half way up and her progress had slowed to a turtle pace.

Howlett looked at the mare as she struggled to pull herself over the top of the wall. “Maybe, but she don’t give up easy. Who is she?” he asked.

“Private Applejack Apple,” Hurricane stated looking at a clipboard with the names of the candidates for the experiment. “Reinstein’s personal pick,” he said.

“Well, it’s easy to see what he likes about her,” Howlett stood up pointed out as Applejack finally joined the rest of the platoon at the end of the course. “Alright let’s make 'em sweat,” Howlett told Hurricane as he observed the soldiers from a distance. None of them had really stuck out to him yet. Of course the day had barely begun. He’d know which one was ready for the experiment by the end of this.

“Everypony line up!” Hurricane shouted at the tired ponies before they could catch their breath. The group lined up in front of Howlett and Hurricane as the lieutenant opened the crate he had been sitting on, revealing several large disk weights.The platoon looked at them curiously. “Open your bags soldiers and step up one at a time,” Hurricane ordered as Howlett picked up a weight with little effort.

The first recruit, a unicorn stallion, stepped up after unzipping his bag and Howlett dropped the weight in, causing the recruit to stumble forward and almost fall. The recruit grunted as he struggled to lift the bag back onto his shoulders. Howlett smiled at the stallion’s effort. “Next,” he called. He continued the pattern until Applejack stepped up, looking apprehensive, her muscles tensed and ready for the weight.. Howlett sized up the mare before dropping the metal disc in her bag, the mare instantly toppling over from the weight. Howlett gave her a disappointed look as Applejack picked herself up and mostly dragged the bag as she joined the rest of the group.

Howlett eyed the platoon for a moment before nodding his head at the obstacle course. The platoon looked as well, before glancing fearfully at Howlett. “Run it again,” Howlett said uncaringly as he took his seat on the crate again. Howlett smiled as the troops started moving through the course again, albeit, much slower than before.

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Applejack’s lungs burned as she tried to keep up with the rest of the group as they marched around the camp, the weights from the obstacle course still in their bags. Corporal Hurricane was out in front leading the march, as Howlett followed the group, keeping an eye out for anyone who started to fall behind, although Applejack could almost feel his gaze on the back of her head.. Applejack, who had been at the back of the middle column, started to lose pace with the others.

“Take five kid,” Howlett said, rolling his eyes as he caught up and startled Applejack.

“Ah’m… fine sir,” Applejack heaved, sounding as though she were about to have an asthma attack, which wouldn’t have been the first one today. Applejack was going to need a new inhaler by the end of the day.

Howlett looked at the mare curiously. “No, you aren’t. You need to stop pushing yourself past your limits,” he told her, hoping to avoid sending her home in a casket.

“It… doesn’t… matter…,” Applejack wheezed, feeling it would be unfair to take the easy way out. “Ain't... nopony else... takin’ a break…, so neither… am Ah… sir,” she stated.

Howlett looked thoughtful for a moment. “Alright you wastes of space, take a break! I’m sick of watching you look pitiful!” the dog shouted as the group came to a halt and started drinking from their canteens. Howlett approached Applejack, who was bent over trying to catch her breath. “You follow me,” he ordered, not waiting to see if the mare followed him.

Howlett led Applejack to where Hurricane was waiting at the front of the group. “What do ya need sir?” she asked, regaining her breath, but still sounding exhausted. Applejack hoped the dog wasn’t about to expel her from the program for her safety.

“I wanna know what you're here for?” Howlett asked the mare, catching Hurricane’s attention as well.

Applejack seemed unsure what to say at first. “Ah’m here fer Dr. Reinstein’s experiment,” she said.

Howlett shook his head. “No, not that. I want you to tell me what made you agree to the experiment in the first place,” he specified.

Applejack looked at the ground for a moment. “Mah lil sister signed up fer the army the day before Ah did. She was hopin the extra money would be enough to ease things round the farm. I’m here to end the war, so I can see mah family together again,” Applejack explained, locking eyes with Howlett.

The dog looked at the mare for a moment. “I see,” he said, expressionless, searching the mare’s face for any sign her resolve was wavering. When he saw none he turned away from her. “Alright you lot, fall in! I wanna get done with this march by dinner time and you still have to hit the shooting range!” the dog shouted as he and Hurricane lead the marching ponies back towards the barracks.

//////////////////////////////////////////

Howlett gave the candidates for the experiment the afternoon off, mostly because half of them were ready to keel over, but also because he intended to give General Pants his verdict on the best candidate in the platoon. He and Hurricane arrived at Major Hardy’s office and entered to see the other occupants waiting for them.

“Give me some good news Lieutenant,” General Pants told the dog as Howlett took a seat in the corner of the room.

“Private Apple sir,” he said without hesitation. The general gave him an expectant look. “She’s the only one in that group that seems to be thinking beyond the war. If she can see past the war, I’d be willing to bet she can see the end of it too,” Howlett explained. “She’s also a hell of a lot more determined than the others,” he added.

General Pants looked from the confident diamond dog, to the smug Major, although Hardy was trying to mask his emotions. “Well what about you?” the General said looking at Corporal Hurricane. Hurricane seemed genuinely surprised the general was even asking for his opinion.

“I think Private Apple is a farmer, not a soldier sir,” he stated, the general seemed curious about the younger stallion’s answer, as did the others in the room. “That being said, I agree she’s the only one in the group that has any real motivation. She’d be my pick as well sir,” Hurricane said with confidence.

General Pants looked around the room, gauging the level of certainty each of his officers had in the decision. “Well, I suppose you like the look of her as well,” he said to Comet Dash who had been silent up to this point.

The stallion smiled at the general who seemed agitated in the decision his advisors had made. “My interest is only in the science. Who we actually put in the rebirth chamber doesn’t matter, so long as they’re of sound mind,” he stated, showing little interest in the discussion up to this point.

General Pants sighed as he came to a decision. “Well, I asked for your opinions myself. I’d be a fool to say no when you all agree,” he conceded. “Even if you’re agreeing with that damn goat,” he muttered to himself. “Dr. Reinstein will be arriving later today. He’d have been here with the rest of us, but he had some last minute tests to run on his serum. We’ll notify him of our decision then and he can give Private Apple the good news,” General Pants stated. “Until then, keep them running drills,” he told Howlett and Hurricane, both of whom saluted, although the dog’s salute seemed half hearted.

///////////////////////////////////////////

That evening, Applejack entered the mess hall with the rest of her platoon for dinner. She had only just sat down when the door opened and Major Hardy entered. Applejack and the others stood and saluted the Major as he walked by.

“At ease,” Hardy said as he approached Applejack. “Private Apple. A word please,” Hardy said, gesturing for Applejack to follow him, as he started for the door. Applejack wore a curious look as she followed Hardy.

“Is something wrong sir?” she asked as they left the mess hall and moved towards the administrative building. Applejack noted a second truck like the one the General and Lieutenant Howlett showed up in and a pair of soldiers standing outside of the building they were approaching.

“No private, but General Pants wants to see you,” Hardy said as he walked up to the door, receiving salutes from the soldiers, and entered the building with Applejack close behind.

Applejack wondered what the general wanted from her as Hardy opened the door to his office. Inside Applejack saw the General, as well as the others he had arrived with earlier that day, and Dr. Reinstein, who gave Applejack a warm smile as he spotted her.

“Applejack, it’s good to see you,” the goat said as he stood up and shook Applejack’s hand.

“Same to ya doc, but if’n ya don’t mind me askin, why am I here?” Applejack questioned, confused at being the only private in a room of ranking officials.

Reinstein smiled as he looked at Hardy. “You could have told her on the way here,” he stated with a smile, before turning back to Applejack. “Congratulations. You have been selected to be the first candidate to undergo the procedure,” Reinstein stated, seeming very pleased with the decision.

Applejack looked around the room, half expecting someone else present to tell her it was a joke. When no one spoke up, Applejack took a breath and looked back at the doctor. “Alright then, what happens next?” Applejack asked, her quick acceptance of the announcement, drawing her a few curious stares.

“Well, she can take big news well,” Comet said from the far side of the room, smiling at the seemingly unfazed mare. “I hope she handles the changes from the procedure just as well.”

Applejack shrugged as she looked at the young stallion. “Ain’t time for it. ‘Sides, I’m just a grunt. Ain’t my place to question the decisions of my superiors,” Applejack reasoned.

General Pants nodded in agreement. “Well, in any case, congratulations, soldier. We’ll see you in the morning. We leave at first light,” the general told her, shaking her hand as well. “Now go and get something to eat and get some rest,” he said in a commanding tone.

Applejack saluted before turning to leave. “Oh, and skip breakfast tomorrow,” Comet called out to her. “I don’t want you throwing up in the rebirth chamber,” he commented as Applejack left, wondering what would make her throw up.

Author's Note:

Okay well here's a chapter I think I actually put more work into than most of the rest of the chapters for this story.

Anyways, enjoy and as always Stay Tuned.