• Published 4th Jun 2014
  • 3,553 Views, 134 Comments

My Little Life: The Beginning - Kind_Of_A_Rarity



Sky was never a "social" person. Years of back-stabbing friends, lonely days at home, and painful memories have made Sky who he is today. But six new friends are sure to make a difference, but at what cost? And will this change be for the better?

  • ...
12
 134
 3,553

Chance Encounters

Normally, I would get out of bed and hop straight into the shower. Normally, I would watch TV while I wait for the bus to come get me for school. Normally, I would listen to music on the bus ride. This morning, however, went a little bit differently than normal.

After I woke up and washed the dreadful morning breath out of my mouth with a glass of water, I spent longer than usual looking for a clean outfit to wear to school. That was about all I could look forward to those days, anything to change the usual routine, I suppose. I also took longer in the shower than usual, causing me to miss the first couple of minutes of the show that comes on in the morning, which wasn’t a good change, but a change nonetheless.

I could never help but hope for a change in my life. Being a normal, anti-socialite certainly
wasn’t helping my case at all. I used to be fun and interesting, but I could never be quite sure where everything went down. I suppose I could base it around the grades where most kids go into middle school: 4th, 5th, and 6th. Those weren’t very good times for me. I fell “in love” and got rejected by the first girl I ever asked out, I got into a fight with someone who was twice my size and two years older than me, and I always got hurt in one way or another and ended up crying. While these situations didn’t exactly add up to someone like me, I wasn’t a very outgoing person to begin with. So, everything that happened just kept eating away at me until, finally, I decided that I would rather be alone than deal with other people.

The only thing I have to look forward to now is change. I lived in the constant fear that if I ever tried to change anything about myself, I would mess up again and make things worse. So I waited for things to change on their own.

‘Maybe the bus will be late,’ I thought to myself as I walked down the road to the bus stop, where I was the only person who ever waited. Taking out my iPod as I arrived, I stood alone, waiting for the bus that normally was on time. I switched to my music app and hit shuffle just after putting my headphones over my ears.

It wasn’t long until I saw the bus appearing around the corner, not even the first song had finished playing yet. I boarded the bus and took a seat, hearing somebody, who I sometimes talk to, go on and on about some pointless topic, even over the sound of music in my ears. How can he complain so much about never getting any sleep and be so energetic in the morning?

I do a lot of thinking with my headphones on. Mostly about life and things that are going on that day. But, oddly enough, I couldn’t keep my train of thought moving that morning. So, instead, I focused on the music flowing into my ears until we reached the high school.

I couldn’t believe this is what people found suitable for teenagers, like me, to be doing day in and day out. ‘At least it’ll be over next year,’ I thought as I took the headphones off of my head. Wrestling with my ear buds had gotten annoying far too quickly, so I switched over to headphones. I saw many people get in trouble with them, though, so I put mine into my bag in order to avoid any trouble. At least, that’s what I tell myself. The real reason is to avoid as much contact with other people as possible, including the teachers. I almost never spoke to people unless they spoke to me first or unless I felt like I needed to and, judging by the other people I’ve talked to, they always seemed to find a reason to say or act like they were better than me.

Finding my spot at a nearby lunch table, I sat and played on my iPad until the bell for first block rang. Don’t think that just because I had an iPad and an iPod that I was rich, in fact, I was the opposite. My dad bought my iPod the year before for my birthday, which I still used every day, just like I told him I would if he got me one. The school gave us all iPads for “educational uses.” Stupid things, really, the teachers hated it when you used them in class. I used mine for games and nothing more, so did everybody else. Either the school didn’t notice or didn’t particularly care, but I think it was the latter of the two, in all honesty.

Tucking the “educational device” under my arm, I headed to class. Music Appreciation was certainly the highlight of the day for me, we did nothing except listen to music from the decades we learned about all day. Every Friday was Music Friday, where everyone got to bring in music of their own to play during class. But that day was the dreaded Monday, so I would’nt be able to play my music until the end of the week.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw a girl who I had never seen before. Her hair was pink and curled a little at the ends. She was wearing a bright yellow, long-sleeved shirt that looked a little big on her around the neck, revealing a bit of her shoulders. It also had three pink butterflies just above the right side of her hip. She also wore a pair of cargo shorts that appeared to be slightly worn down. I never forget a face, so I could tell that she was either new or we had simply never crossed paths until now, but I don’t think I had ever seen this girl around school.

She seemed to be trying to get somebody’s attention, putting her hand up to try to stop most of the people who passed by. Most of them didn’t notice and the ones that did continued to pass her by. I could’ve simply ignored her and went on to class, but I was always a few minutes early to class anyways, I could afford to be a little late, just this once. Plus, she looked like she really needed help.

I pushed my way through the crowd and towards the girl. She didn’t notice me, especially since she was still trying to ask for help. ‘How can these people just ignore her?’ I thought as I got closer and closer. When I reached her, I saw that she didn’t notice me walking up to her. “Excuse me?” I spoke up. She whirled around, surprised to hear someone so close to her. “Sorry,” I quickly apologized, “but you looked like you needed help with something, do you?”

She quickly took a step backwards and nodded. She handed me an orange slip of paper, which I recognized as a schedule. ‘So she is new,’ I thought as I looked over the schedule. “You need help finding your class?” She nodded again. I looked back at the paper and saw that her first class was Music Appreciation. “Music Appreciation... That’s where I’m going now, why don’t I walk you there?”

I handed the sheet of paper back to her and motioned for her to follow, she did. By then, the hall was mostly clear of students, who were in class or still crowding the cafeteria. About half way to the classroom, I noticed that she still hadn’t said anything. I turned around to confirm that she was still there, she was. “You’re pretty quiet, huh?” No response. Not that I really expected one. “So, what’s your name? Since we’re gonna be in the same class and all.”

I heard her say something under her breath, but I wasn’t sure what. “I’m sorry?”

She spoke louder this time, but not by much. “Flutt...”

“One more time, please?”

“Fluttershy...”

Her voice was soft, soothing, even. She seemed to be very shy, I’ve never met anybody who is as shy as she was. “Fluttershy, huh? It’s a pretty name. Everybody just calls me Sky,” She didn’t say anything after that. It’s not that I felt she was ignoring me or brushing me off, but I could tell that she was really uncomfortable talking to me, so I kept quiet the rest of the way.

When we got to the classroom, there weren’t many kids in there. I looked at the clock and saw that I wasn’t as late as I thought I would be, after all, I only stopped for about a minute to see what Fluttershy needed help with. “This is it,” I told Fluttershy, “A lot of the seats are taken, but I’m sure anybody would let you sit by them if you asked.”

“Is anybody sitting beside you?” Her question took me by surprise. Although it was barely audible, I could still make out what she said. It took me awhile to come up with a reason for why she would ask me of all people. I just assumed it was because she didn’t know anybody here and we were already talking.

“Uh, on one side, but the other side is free, if you want to sit there,” I was still a little shocked that she asked to sit by me, but it subsided soon enough.

I led her to her seat and sat down in my seat next to hers. Since there was nothing else to do until class started, I grabbed my tablet and started playing some game I found the Friday before then. I was stuck on a certain level and couldn’t seem to figure my way around it.

I was only able to start it when I noticed a certain girl watching me. I looked up at her and she immediately turned away. I smiled a little and said, “It’s all right, I don’t mind if you watch.”

She looked back at me and smiled enough to say a polite “thank you.” I smiled back and continued my game.

Soon after, the bell rang again and the teacher started teaching. Almost immediately after, the door opened and a student came in. ‘Of course, he’s late. He’s always late,’ I thought as I watched him walk in.After a warning and a tardy from the teacher, he took his rightful seat next to mine.

The lesson wasn’t very long today, we still had about thirty minutes or so left in class. “So why were you late this time, Henry?” I said to the kid next to me with a dry, sarcastic tone in my voice. I was known for my sarcasm, especially towards Henry.

“People kept stopping me and talking to me about random crap,” he said a little too excitedly. I never could believe a word that came out of his mouth. He would lie about the simplest of things, things that didn’t even make a difference.

“I see. Well, if you keep having problems with people, be like me and don’t talk to them,” That’s what made Henry and me different. He felt like he had to talk to every person on Earth, even if he didn’t know them. I didn’t feel the need to talk unless I felt like I absolutely had to.

“Whatever, so who’s she?” Henry said nodding towards Fluttershy, who was standing at the teacher’s desk. He called her up to talk to her since she was new. I assumed it was about work or something.

“That’s Fluttershy, she’s new here,” I said looking towards her.

“She’s cute,” I turned towards Henry and then back at Fluttershy.

“Yeah, I guess she is. But she’s really shy. I barely got her to tell me her name.”

“The shy girls are always the best in bed...”

I turned towards him with a raised eyebrow and asked a sarcastic, “Really?”

“Yeah, dude. It’s like a universal law, if they aren’t good in public, they’re good in private!” He smiled at his own little joke.

“Shut up,” I said, shaking my head and smiling a little. I turned back towards Fluttershy, who was now making her way back towards her seat. I’ll admit, I was a little curious about what she and the teacher were talking about, but I didn’t want to intrude.

Henry tried to introduce himself, but she just tried to hide behind her hair. I looked at him and shrugged.
-----

After the class ended, I pointed Fluttershy towards her next class since it was out of my way. She didn’t seem to mind, though. It wasn’t hard to get there anyways.

This time I went straight to my next class with no interruptions. In my opinion, the next class was pointless. However, the other students questions had made me realize just how good the class must be for them. I didn’t need the class, but apparantly they did, which was no big deal. I didn’t think I was smarter than they were, in fact I know some of them are smarter than me, it was just that I’m better at retaining information than a lot of people.

Anyways, my next class was an SAT prep class for math, which I was good at anyways. I made my way there and took my seat. I didn’t talk to many people in this class, so most people left me be. I sat mostly apart from everyone. It didn’t bother me since I didn’t talk to them anyways.

This time, however, a girl I had never seen before finds a seat next to my own. ‘Weird, another new girl?’

She pulled out a pencil and placed it neatly at the front of her desk. I noticed that she had neat, straight, dark purple, almost black, hair. She also had two stripes of lighter shades of purple running down one side of it. She wore a dark purple jacket, several shades lighter than her hair, but still dark, with a purple, six-sided star over her right pocket. She was also wearing a black and white, plaid, ruffled skirt that went about halfway down her thigh.

I thought it was a little weird to have two new girls at our school on the same day, but stranger things have happened.

The bell rang and the door was closed soon after. The teacher handed out work sheets, which was, basically, all we did on any given day, and told us to turn them in when we finished.

I looked at my sheet; it didn’t look too hard. Simple algebra is all that was on it. I could’ve easily finished it in about ten minutes or so.

As I was finishing up, however, I noticed the new girl walking up to the teacher with her paper. I watched her hand it in. And I watched her walk back to her seat. That caught me a bit by surprise. I didn’t think she would take the entire class to finish it, not by any means, but I certainly didn’t expect her to finish within the first ten minutes!

Even though the work sheet wasn’t hard, she must have been really smart to have finished in such a short amount of time. I pushed my thoughts out of my head as I realized that I may have been a little jealous, seeing that I usually finish mine first.

I continued to think about it until I finished my own work sheet. ‘What do I have to be jealous over?’ I thought as I sat down in my seat, ‘It’s not like this was a contest...’

I looked back towards her as I reached for my iPad. She was reading a book. She seemed really interested in it too. I tried to forget about her. I didn’t even know why I was so hung up on her. All she did was finish a dumb work sheet before I did, what was the big deal?

I decided that I would talk to her. I didn’t know what to say to her, though. “Hey, I saw that you finished your work sheet before I did, you must be pretty smart, huh?” That makes me seem like a jealous, stuck-up jerk!

“Excuse me, but are you okay?” My thought were quickly brought to a halt as I heard the sudden question.

I quickly turned towards the direction that the voice came from. I was surprised to see that it was actually from the girl next to me. “Uh... yeah... yeah, I’m fine. I was just thinking about something is all.”

“Alright, I just saw you staring out into space, so I didn’t know,” She seemed to be genuinely concerned for me. ‘Great, now she thinks I’m crazy.’

“It’s nothing, I do that a lot. So what book are you reading?” I figured that since we were already talking, I might as well make a conversation out of it.

“Oh, it’s just some book I got from the bookstore about a year ago,” She turned the book over to reveal the cover. A girl swinging on a vine, trying to escape a couple of pursuers. She wore a pith hat and had gray and black hair, but she seemed to be about our age.

“Cool, are you just now getting around to reading it?”

“No, this is probably the fourth time I’ve read it.”

“Four times? Wow, it must be a great book to have read it four times!” I was not expecting that as an answer, but I probably should’ve expected something similar.

“It is, I can lend it to you if you want,” She closed the book with a bookmark and was practically handing it to me.

“No thanks, I don’t really read much.”

“Really? Why not? It’s great to be able to escape into the world of your choosing every now and then!”

I smiled at her. I could tell that she was extremely passionate about books. Maybe that’s why she’s so smart. She reads a lot so she must be excellent with studying.
-----

We talked the rest of the class about what books she liked to read most. She was a really interesting person, but she seemed like the kind of person who likes to have her alone time, especially if she had a great book to read.

I learned that her name is Twilight Sparkle. I barely got my name in before she started up again about another book she had read. Not that it was annoying, it was really fun, actually.

After class, we said goodbye and headed off. I was lucky and happened to have the first lunch, but Twilight still had another class before her lunch.

I found my spot at the end of a table, which I sat at alone. Well, others sat there with me, but we never talked to each other. I dropped my stuff off and went to go stand in the lunch line for whatever it was they were serving us that day.

I got my food and went back to my spot and ate my food in peace, or rather, in as much peace as you can get in a crowded lunchroom.

Not too long after I sat down, somebody walked up to me and asked, “Is this seat taken?”

I looked up to see a slightly tanned face looking back at me. She was smiling at me with bright green eyes. I noticed that she had some freckles and long, sandy blonde hair that was tied back in a ponytail. She wore a brown Stetson and had on a brown tank top under an orange and brown plaid, collared, button-up shirt with the sleeves rolled up to her elbows. She was also wearing light blue jeans with a brown belt, which was probably more for style than function in this case.

“Um, no... it’s not. Help yourself,” I said motioning to the seat across from me.

“Thanks,” she said as she sat down. “There aren’t many open seats and the ones that are open’re around a bunch’a jerks,” She looked at me. “You ain’t one’a those jerks are ya?”

“Uh...” I didn’t really know how to respond to a question like that. I couldn’t tell if she was joking or not. Her face was so serious.

Suddenly she smiled and started laughing. “I’m just messin’ with you! You seem plenty nice,” She smiled as she started eating her food.

I couldn’t help but smile, she just seemed so friendly. “Thanks, I guess. So are you new here?”

“Yep,” she said after she finished off a bite of food, “I’ve never been here before in my life, but it seems like a nice little place as far as I can tell.”

“Yeah,” I said, “it is a nice little town. I just wish there was more to do here,” There really wasn’t much to do. The only things around were a couple of small restaurants and a public library, which was barely a library at all. It was a single story and was smaller than some of the restaurants.

“Yeah, I noticed how small it was as soon as we got here,” She seemed a little disappointed, but she perked up soon enough. “But, hey, I’m sure it’s got some great fields, right?”

I chuckled, not really sure why she would mention something as simple as farming land. “We do have some nice little bits of land, but most of it is sold around the nation, so we don’t get too much out of it,” That wasn’t a lie. Most of the fields were sold to giant retailers who sold to super-stores, even though there’s a grocery store less than a mile away from most of the fields that would gladly pay for locally grown goods. But I suppose money really does make the world go ‘round.

“Well that’ll change soon. My Granny Smith just bought a plot of land not too far down the road for plantin’ an apple orchard. We had some nice trees back on the old farm, but we had some competition move in on our land and just couldn’t keep up,” She looked like she really missed her old home. It must have meant a lot to her.

“I’m sorry,” I was no good at this kind of stuff; I always seemed to make it worse by saying the wrong thing. “How long did you live there?”

“A couple’a years after I was born was when we moved in there, but that’s the only place I ever remember livin’ at,” That probably wasn’t the best question to ask someone who was forced to leave her home. “But I guess it’s alright, everybody’s gotta make a livin’ somehow, right? So, what’s your name?” It didn’t take a genius to see what she was trying to do.

“Everybody calls me Sky. How about you? What’s your name?”

“Applejack, or AJ for short,” She reached out her hand. I grabbed it and shook.

“Nice to meet you, Applejack.”

We spent the rest of the lunch talking about what we liked to do in our free time. She was a very hard worker, which made me feel like a lazy bum in comparison.

The bell rang not long after that, so we each said our goodbyes and went on our ways. My next class was Culinary Arts and, although I realized that it wasn’t what I wanted to do in life, I was stuck with it for the rest of the year.

I immediately noticed something was different as I walked into the room, because there was, yet another, new face!

Her hair was pink and poofy, which looked a lot like cotton candy. But she was wearing her chef uniform, so I couldn’t tell what she was wearing underneath. With a couple of quick glances over at her, I donned my own uniform and took my seat, which just so happened to be next to where she was sitting.

“Alright, guys!” Chef started announcing what we were making that day, cupcakes to sell at a football game the next day. I didn’t mind making cupcakes, really simple and not a lot of work, but then she told us that we would be working in partners, as we weren’t making enough for everybody to work on their own recipe.

She then said that we were just going to work with the person sitting next to us to make things simple. ‘That figures,’ I thought to myself. It wasn’t that I didn’t like the girl, but more so that I didn’t know her or how she works and acts.

I looked over at the new girl, who looked back at me with a great, big smile. I smiled back, a little half-heartedly, I’ll admit.

She then set us loose to gather equipment and ingredients. “I can get ingredients if you get the equipment!” the girl said in a rather cheery, upbeat tone.

“Alright,” I said quickly before brushing past her towards the bowls and pans. ‘I should probably get to know this girl a little more, since it’s likely that we’ll be working together on a lot of things.’

As soon as I got the last few things to our station, she was back with the ingredients. We started mixing everything in a mixing bowl and I decided that that would be the best time for me to introduce myself. “So-”

“What’s your name? My name’s Pinkie Pie! I love making cupcakes, it’s so much fun! Are you gonna help sell them tomorrow? ‘Cause I was gonna go help out to see if I can meet anybody and make a lot of friends! Do you have a lot of friends? Why am I even asking? Of course you do!...”

I just listened to her go on and on, talking about selling cupcakes and making friends, waiting for a moment that I could tell her my name, the one thing I wanted to do.

“... So are you gonna help sell cupcakes? And what’s your name?” She looked at me with wide eyes, waiting for an answer. I hesitated, not knowing if she would continue talking or let me get two words in.

“My name’s Sky, at least, that’s what everybody calls me. I don’t think I’ll help sell cupcakes;
I’m not really a ‘people person.’”

She looked a little disappointed that I wouldn’t be there and, for some reason, I didn’t want to see her sad. I didn’t like to see anybody sad, but I especially didn’t want to see her sad. So I did the only thing that I knew would cheer her up. “But I guess I could, since I’m not-”

She smiled from ear-to-ear. I didn’t know why, but it made me happy just to see her smile.
-----

The class finished baking just before the end of class, but still about twenty minutes after we were finished. Pinkie was telling the truth when she said that she loved to make cupcakes! She must’ve done it a million times!

We all changed out of our uniforms and I could then see what Pinkie Pie was wearing, a white blouse that ended just above her hips and was open in the front covered her light pink dress, which went to just above her knees and was tied at her waist with a hot pink bow in the front.

After I was able to see her outfit, the bell rang and everyone was out the door. My final class of the day was P.E. and I could finally see why high-schoolers always skipped P.E. in the movies.

I made my way to the gym, which wasn’t easy to do, as there were always a lot of students crowding the hall that the gym was on. As soon as I got there, I dropped my stuff in the locker room and changed into my gym clothes.

I walked into the gym and sat down to wait for the coach to tell everyone to warm-up. It wasn’t strange that I was one of the first kids in there. Everybody normally hangs out in the locker rooms for a few minutes longer than they need to. I never really understood why their favorite place to waste time was in a room that was built for guys to get naked.

I looked around to see who else was there. It was normally the same people, a blonde prep, a nerdy wimp, a rainbow-haired girl stretching by a wall, a brunette... I had to do a double-take on the girl with long, rainbow-colored hair. She was new, if she wasn’t then I certainly would’ve at least heard about someone with rainbow hair!

Her gym clothes were the normal for the girls, black shorts and a white t-shirt. Other than her hair, nothing else stood out about her except for a rainbow wristband. She continued stretching until some more people came in, so she took a seat and began to make sure her shoes were properly tied.

I realized that I was looking at her a little longer than I should be and forced myself to look away. She was pretty and, obviously, athletic. I wondered how the “athletes” would take her when they saw her. Our sports teams, especially football, were well below average in terms of performance.

After the rest of the people got into the gym, the coach began the warm-ups. We all stretched, the guys on one side facing away from the girls for obvious reasons. Afterwards, we started doing laps around the gym.

I looked over at the new girl to see a few guys giving her a hard time. The usual kind of jock stuff, thinking they were “big and bad” and thinking they could hook up with her. They were trying to talk to her, but she had ear buds in and obviously didn’t want to talk to them. They started to pull her ear buds out to try to get her attention, but she ignored them, or tried to, at least.

I would have done something if it weren’t for the fact that there were three of them and they were all twice as big as I was. Besides, I didn’t even know this girl and she looked like she would snap at any moment.

Luckily, the coach blew his whistle and told everyone to grab a basketball. As always, the guys, save for me and a couple others, started up a game on one side of the gym. The girl took a ball and went to an empty goal on the side of the gym.

Like every other time, I was stuck with a flat ball because people liked to sit on them. I took it anyway and looked around to find an open goal. I certainly wasn’t going to join the game, besides, the teams were already even. Every other goal was full of people, most of whom I didn’t like, except for one.

I approached the goal and, just before she made her shot, the rainbow-haired girl turned to look at me with a look of disgust. But instead of trying to make a move on her, like she apparently thought I would, I simply asked, “Mind if I shoot with you?”

Her face returned to normal as she shrugged and continued shooting, making almost every shot. I took a stance and made a shot of my own, which bounced off the rim and fell to the floor, bouncing a single time. I sucked at my teeth, somehow thinking that would make it less embarrassing to miss such a simple shot.

She must have heard how flat my ball was when it hit the ground, because as I reached down to pick it up she asked, “You wanna play one-on-one?” I picked up my ball and was about to turn down her offer before she added, “Your ball sounds really flat and the others don’t look much better,” She looked behind me towards the cart, I followed her gaze.

I turned back around to weigh my options, keep shooting with a flat ball for an hour-and-a-half or play with the new girl and use a good ball. It wasn’t a very difficult decision. “Sure, I’m not very good though.”

I tossed my ball to the side and stood between her and the goal as she moved behind a makeshift three-point line, which was the boundary line of the actual court. “What’re we playing to?” she asked as she dribbled the ball between her hands.

I shrugged. “Five sounds good for now,” She then checked the ball and I bounced it back.

She immediately took off to my left. I tried my best to block her, but she was too fast and raced around me towards the goal, making a lay-up as she passed under it.

“You’re gonna have to keep up!” she called with a smirk.

I couldn’t help but smile back at her. “I wasn’t ready yet!” I grabbed the ball and took it behind the line as she took her spot. I checked it and she tossed it back to me. I tried to do the same thing as she did, rushing past her left side, but she expected it and blocked my path.

I bounced the ball behind my back and quickly changed my path, slipping her up in the process. I jumped into the air and shot, making a basket.

I raised my arms and shrugged at her with a smile across my face. She smiled back as she picked up the ball and took it behind the line.
-----

The rest of the class passed by more quickly than usual, probably because I actually had fun that time. She won with five points to my three, afterwards we just made some shots until the class was over.

We all went to go change out and get our stuff. Of course, I was one of the first out and back into the gym. I sat down in my usual spot and looked down at my shoes, tired and sweaty. It had been a while since I worked out like that.

I was soon interrupted by the very girl who bested me in basketball. “You know,” she began, “you’re not as bad as you said you were.”

I smirked. “Yeah, but it was still fun,” At that moment, I didn’t care how corny that sounded.

“How did you have fun if you lost?” She let out a victory laugh.

I smiled at her. “Yeah, whatever. What’s your name anyway?”

She took a seat next to me. She was close enough for me to see her eyes, they were magenta, a very pretty shade at that. “Rainbow Dash, what’s your name?”

“Sky,” The bell rang right after I got my name out.

“Well, Sky, I guess I’ll see you tomorrow!” She got to her feet and began to walk towards one of the pairs of double doors.

“See you, Rainbow!” I watched as she left. I hadn’t paid attention before then, but she was wearing a cyan, zip-up hoodie and a pair of gray jeans. As she turned to go out the door, I noticed that she had an emblem of a rainbow lighting bolt on the front of her jacket.

After she left, I stood and began to walk out the same doors she did. I was soon interrupted by one of the other guys of the class. “So, what was it like?”

I gave him a funny look. He was one of the guys in class who felt like it was his business to know everything that went on. “What was what like?”

“You know!” He sighed and rolled his eyes. “Playing with that girl! What was it like? Did you get to touch her?” He was also a little creep.

“No! I did not get to ‘touch her.’ We just played basketball, nothing else,” I got the feeling he knew that already, since he obviously watched us.

“Don’t hold out on me!” He pushed his glasses up on his face. “What did she smell like?”

“Alright, I think it’s time for me to go. I need to catch the bus,” I quickly grabbed by bag and started towards the door. He was smaller than me, but he had a temper and a fight was the last thing I wanted.

“Just wait!” he called out behind me. I completely ignored him and continued out the door. I knew he wouldn’t be able to catch up, especially since he hadn’t even changed out yet. Still, I made sure that there was distance between us before I slowed down. ‘That kid really needs to learn when to shut up.’

I finally reached the doors that let out at the bus loop and headed towards my bus. It wasn’t long before I was stopped again, this time by a voice I didn’t recognize. “Hello, boys!”

I stopped and looked towards the voice. What I saw was a few guys rushing towards a girl who was standing in front of a brick wall that held up a small roof. She had dark purple hair that was styled into large curls that fell to one side of her head and sat upon the opposite shoulder. She also wore a clip with three light blue diamonds attached to it. She was wearing a white top that was loose around her neck and fell below her hips along with a black, knee-high skirt.

The guys were practically swarming around her, but, somehow, I was able to hear what she was saying. “Would any of you lovely gentlemen be so kind as to point me towards P14?” I then heard one of the guys say that it was closer to the end of the line and everyone else agreed with him.

She then thanked them and went on her way. While the guys were busy ogling her, I made my way towards her after I had seen the bus at the front of the line. “Hey, hold on,” I tried to call to her.

She stopped and turned towards me. “Yes?”

“P14 isn’t that way. It’s actually at the front of the line.”

“How do you know that?” she said with a questioning look in her eye.

“Because I ride that bus and she’s always at the front of the line,” She looked past me towards the group of guys who had, apparently, found something better to do by then.

“But those boys told me it was this way,” She looked genuinely confused as to why those guys would ever lie to her. To me it was really simple.

“If you flirt with them like that, they’ll tell you anything you want to hear. It might not be right, but they’ll give you an answer.”

She looked back at me with a slight smile across her lips. “I feel a little silly now.”

I smiled back at her. “No worries. Come on, I’ll walk you to the bus.”

I turned around and began walking in the right direction, she made her way to my side and walked with me. “May I ask your name?” she said as she glanced in my direction.

“It’s Sky. What’s yours?”

“Rarity. May I ask another question?”

I was a little shocked but told her that she could. “Why did you stop to help me?”

“Well,” I began, thinking about the answer myself, “if I needed help, I would hope somebody would stop to help me. You know, the golden rule and all that,” That sounded like a good enough answer to me.

“I see,” she said, facing ahead once again.

I stopped as we reached the bus. “Here it is,” I said as we arrived at the front of the bus just before getting on. I went straight to my usual spot towards the back of the bus. Rarity followed and sat in the seat across from me.

She smiled at me when she saw me looking at her and slipped a couple of ear buds into her ears. I smiled back and put on my headphones, mostly to show Henry that I didn’t want to talk, but also to drown everything else out.
-----

It didn’t take long to reach my house, I wished it would take longer because I liked to just sit on the bus and listen to my music for as long as possible. When I walked into my house, I dropped my stuff off in my room and went to the living room to watch some TV. Nobody was going to be home for about a week because my mom was working. But there was plenty of food and I didn’t mind being alone, so it wasn’t so bad.

That was pretty much all I did for the rest of the day, watch TV and eat. I always wished that I had other things to do, but I wasn’t much of a gamer and I didn’t have many friends, so my options were limited.

I brushed my teeth and got ready for bed. I typically went to bed earlier than most people, while they go to bed at eleven or twelve, I went to bed at around nine o’clock. Some people picked on me about it, but I wasn’t the one falling asleep in class, so I just ignored them.

I thought about the events of the day, meeting six new girls in one day, one in every part of my day. Sure, it was really weird, but I wasn’t going to question it. They all seemed like nice people, even Fluttershy, who I had hardly talked to. It would have been a lie to say that I didn’t want to see them again, in fact, I was hoping that we could all become friends, perhaps maybe even more than that. That would be a great change, making five new friends and even a girlfriend! How could my life change much more than that?

But sleep soon had me in it’s grasp and I found myself taken away into my dreams. I got a good sleep that night. I wasn’t sure why, but I felt a lot more comfortable that night than any other night that I could remember...