• Published 4th Jun 2014
  • 3,553 Views, 134 Comments

My Little Life: The Beginning - Kind_Of_A_Rarity



Sky was never a "social" person. Years of back-stabbing friends, lonely days at home, and painful memories have made Sky who he is today. But six new friends are sure to make a difference, but at what cost? And will this change be for the better?

  • ...
12
 134
 3,553

Betrayal

I could barely muster a response out of myself. How could she have been bullied? There weren’t any bullies at my school, right? But who would want to be mean to such a nice and quiet girl? None of it made any sense, but then again it made no sense why bullies do what they do in the first place.

“What? What do you mean?” It’s all I could manage. Of course I knew what she meant, but not how I should be taking it in.

“I just started answering questions and they all started teasing me...” That’s ridiculous. Nobody should be bullied on anything, especially their intelligence.

“Who?”

“Jenna. I don’t know her last name. Whenever she starts, other people just join in,” I really didn’t need to know her last name to know who she was talking about. Jennifer Opal, the meanest girl I’ve ever known. She would always tease other people, especially other girls. She would say a couple of mean things to them, but would stop about a week afterwards.

I could never understand why she would just stop, but it always stopped so, of course, nobody ever asked any questions. But anybody who she messed with would still avoid her at all costs, probably because they are still a little fearful of her. But what could I say to Twilight? I couldn’t just say that she needed to deal with it for the next week. That wouldn’t turn out well for anyone. “Have you told anyone besides me?”

“No. You’re the only one who’s asked,” Not particularly thrilling information.

“I know it sounds like the coward’s way out or whatever, but maybe you should tell a teacher or something,” What else would I suggest?

“I thought about that, but my teacher is always there when it starts. She doesn’t do anything,” It didn’t surprise me. There was always a teacher that didn’t do anything to stop a bully except for slap him on the wrist.

“Who is your teacher?”

“Mrs. Harrison,” Unfortunately, that was the one teacher in the school who wouldn’t even give him a warning. She was possibly the worst teacher I’ve ever seen. She can’t teach, I’ve seen her flirting with a student, and now she won’t do anything about a bully.

“Yeah... She’s not going to help you. Tell someone else. I know that Mrs. Kneece would do something about it,” And that she would. Mrs. Kneece was possibly the greatest teacher I’ve ever seen. She was the exact opposite of Mrs. Harrison.

“Yes, but even so, they would call students into the office to confirm it. Most of the students there are friends of her’s and they would all defend her. It would be worse than what I started with,” I couldn’t deny that. for whatever reason, Jenna was one of the most popular girls in school, despite her attitude towards basically every other person. It was just one of those things that nobody could make any sense out of.

So that left me with only one option, the one that I had been trying to avoid at all costs, but now it seemed there was no other solution. “I know someone who could help, but you’ve got to trust me on this,”

“Oh, no. I would never ask you to get involved.”

“You told me about this when you could have easily told me to get lost. I’m not going to just sit by and let this happen.”

“Sky, I don’t want to get you mixed up in my problems.”

“I know, but I can help. You’ve just gotta trust me.”

I sat there a few minutes afterwards, waiting for a response from her. But the message finally came. “Alright.”

There were only a handful of people in the school who hadn’t been touched by Jenna’s influence. I was one of those people and, among others, Henry was too. I didn’t know why I was one of the few who she left alone, but I knew why Henry was.

Back in ninth grade, Henry and Jenna were a couple. They started dating around the beginning of the year and split up when Jenna moved to a different school for the rest of the year. When she came back the next year, she just wasn’t the same. Before the move, she was kind, sweet, and just an all around great person to know. But after she came back, she had somehow became the person I knew her as then. Something happened at that other school, but, as far as I knew, nobody knew what, save for herself.

One day, when we were hanging out in the cafeteria before the bell rang for class, Jenna stopped by our table. She called Henry over to talk to her for a minute or two, but they were still close enough for me to hear their conversation. It was casual, but flirty. Every time I looked over, one of them would be messing with the other. Tickling, lightly pushing, laughing, it was always something. When he came back, he was notably happier. He also wouldn’t stop talking about her for the next fifteen minutes before class started.

So I knew that Henry still wanted to be with Jenna, for whatever reason. She was pretty; that’s about all I could say about her since she came back. Of course, Jenna could have been dating someone else, or possibly moved on with her life. But, hopefully, neither of those things would make a difference.

---------------

The next day at school, I was rather anxious. I didn’t know how Henry would react to my proposition, or if he would even be willing to listen to me. But I had already figured out exactly what I would say to him, if I did, somehow, manage to get him to speak with me.

But what reason did he have to ignore me other than the fact that he broke into the school and hurt one of my friends? If he really wanted to make it up to me, then he would at least listen to what I wanted him to hear.

A bit to my surprise, Twilight was already sitting at our table before we had even gotten to school. Rarity was a bit concerned, but only for the fact that there was a new person at our table. She calmed a bit after I made the proper introductions. Fluttershy soon made her way towards us to complete our little group. She, of course, was a bit wary of the newcomer, but became more at-home after a few minutes of speaking.

Twilight seemed a bit... happier, now that she was with other people. Well, people she could talk freely to without fear of harassment. She didn’t seem to be the type of girl who liked to be the center or attention, not by any means, but she had a certain aura about her. She was just the kind of person that you wanted to be friends with, even if you felt like being alone at any given moment.

Any thoughts I had about her were quickly pushed away when a certain someone found his way towards our table. “Hey,” Henry said, a bit more cautiously when he recognized Rarity. “Could I talk to you?” Seems as if I wouldn’t have to beg him after all...

We made our way away from the table, off to one side of the cafeteria. There were still a number of people around, but none of whom would give any attention towards us. “Look, I’m really sorry about the other night. I don’t know what got into me,” He looked as if he was genuinely sorry. It was a shame I wouldn’t stand for any more of his deceit.

“Yeah, well that’s not going to cut it this time. What would you have done if Pinkie had seen you? Don’t you care about her at all?” I didn’t plan on holding anything back. He had to feel the guilt boil inside. He had to suffer with the knowledge of what he had done.

“Of course I do!” His eyes narrowed and he stood a bit taller, but faltered when he realized the position he was in. “I just got carried away, is all. How was I supposed to know that you all were here?”

“That’s the thing, it doesn’t matter if we were here or not! What were you doing trying to sneak into the school anyway?”

He looked off to the side, towards the hallway, around us, anywhere but at me. “I needed some money, so we were going to steal some stuff and sell it.”

Shocked was not the word to describe my state of being at that point. I froze with my mouth hanging open, but only came to for enough time to muster the words: “What for?”

“I just needed the money, okay?” A few moments of silence followed. “You didn’t tell her... did you?”

I thought a moment. It would have been easy to lie to him, to tell him that she knew everything and that she never wanted to see him again. But I wasn’t that kind of person. “No. I can’t,” I watched his eyes dart towards the crowd of students.

“Then I don’t have anything else to say,” He turned to leave. I wouldn’t allow him to get away so easily.

“Well, I do,” I grabbed his arm and turned him around, so that he faced me. “You’re going to help me get something done. But first, break up Pinkie Pie. You don’t deserve her.”

“Why would I do that? I love being with Pinkie Pie!”

“Because if you don’t I’ll turn you in to the police for breaking and entering,” I kept my voice down. I didn’t want this getting out. I had no plans of turning him in. After all, we were in there too, but I had hoped he wouldn’t realize that.

“That’s seriously screwed up, Dude,” I didn’t care at that point. She deserved much better than Henry, anyone did.

I opened my mouth to tell him so, but was quickly stopped by the sound of a dropping bag. I turned to see Pinkie, standing with her arms by her side, a bag by her feet. Her normally cheerful eyes were full of tears, something I can say I never hoped to see. Her hair was noticeably less curly, and her attitude was the exact opposite of what it typically was, which was saying something.

But her eyes weren’t facing Henry, the culprit, the suspect, the wrong-doer. They were looking at me. “You were... t-threatening Henry to... break up with me?” Her voice was cracking and choking. I felt my heart drop to my feet.

“Pinkie! No, I-”

“Stop!” She physically backed away from me, as if I were going to do something to hurt her more than I already have. “I don’t want to see you ever again!” She turned and ran away, towards the crowd of people.

I was shocked, to say the least. I felt as though I had been shot with a stun-gun. I was hurt, surprised, confused, but most of all, I felt empty. I wasn’t the bad guy. I was trying to help Twilight. But... everything just got worse because of that. Was this just who I was supposed to be? The guy who takes the fall, it seemed, had always been me... The day at Henry’s mom’s house, fourth grade, every time something bad happened in my life, it was always happening to me.

I turned to face Henry, which was the biggest mistake I made. He was smiling. That twisted prick was actually smiling at what had just taken place. Anger surged in my veins. I wanted to beat him to a pulp. I wanted to smash his nose into his face, but I couldn’t. It would only worsen my position. “What the hell is wrong with you?!” That was all I managed to get out before I stormed out of the hallway.

I raised my hands and wrapped them around my head as soon as I was out of view. I wanted to shout, scream, punch, anything to get my mind clear. But most of all, I wanted to cry. I was furious, at Henry, at Jenna, even at Pinkie Pie, though I didn’t know why. But over all of that, I was angry at myself. How could I have been so wrong?

But... Was I wrong? These girls, and these feelings, were still so new to me. My past relationships didn’t serve in my favor. They only showed betrayal. It was all I had ever known. Had it somehow rubbed off onto me? I betrayed Pinkie... So it must have. I was the new betrayer, born to stab the backs of my friends, nothing more.

I sat there, hands covering my face as I felt the tears well up in my eyes. They would soon fall, but it didn’t matter then. Nobody would care about me after this anyway.

But they never left my eyes. They only formed. They never fell, never showed how I truly felt. A hand on my shoulder shocked me out of my state. I looked up into those magenta eyes of hers, even through my tears. “Sky, what’s wrong?”

The sleeve of my jacket jumped into my face, cleansing my eyes of any bitter drops. “Nothing.”

Rainbow disregarded my answer. I should have known it wouldn’t work. “Sky, you can’t get rid of me that easily,” She sat beside me on the stage, close enough that I felt the heat of her thigh on my own leg.

“It’s nothing, really,” I stood to leave, but it seemed she wouldn’t have any of that.

She lightly grabbed my arm and dragged me away. “It’s not nothing, and I’m going to get it out of you,” Where we were going, I didn’t know. But I followed, lacking any strength or will to pull myself away.

“Where are we going?” I asked as we turned the corner towards the doors of the parking lot. I suppose that was an answer enough. “We’re leaving school?”

“Well, n- you won’t be able to focus if you’re trying to tear your head off, right?” I felt my cheeks flush. That wasn’t meant to be seen, let alone happen. But, as I said, I lacked the will to resist.

“Fine. But where, exactly, are we going?”

I felt her grip tighten a bit, as if I would run away at any given moment. “I don’t know, any ideas?”

I, honestly, had no bright idea. There weren’t many places that a person could just hang out at all day. But there was one place that I knew would be empty. “My house?” Her grip tightened further, but I shrugged it off to the fact that the bell rang at that moment.

A thought of my bag being left in the cafeteria struck me when I noticed Rainbow Dash’s cyan bag strapped to her back. The office would find it and I could go get it. Hopefully, they wouldn’t put two and two together.

We strapped into Rainbow’s car, which was newer than Applejack’s. It seemed to be in better condition as well, if only by a little. Driving out of the parking lot was a lot simpler than I had originally thought it would be. I don’t know what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn’t this.

Driving in silence, save for Rainbow occasionally asking for directions and my following one-worded answer, we eventually arrived at my house. Rainbow Dash was a little less than enthusiastic about driving over the dirt road, for obvious reasons, but deemed it “too late to turn back now” and went on.

I unlocked the door and stepped inside, Rainbow following behind. “Here we are,” I said simply. It wasn’t the most grand of introductions, but it was plenty enough for the time.

“It’s... nice,” I followed her gaze to the occasional stray cup and bits of trash here and there. I began to feel a tinge of embarrassment. I picked up a few bits and tossed them in the trash as Rainbow made herself comfortable, dropping her bag beside her spot on the couch. I suddenly had the idea that it wasn’t the trash that she was referring to.

“Well...” I began. I wasn’t quite sure how to start. It’s a bit strange to be in the position I was in, skipping school to go home with a girl. It wasn’t something I can say I did very often.

She looked at me. “What?”

I shrugged. “This was your idea.”

She rolled her eyes, but more so in contemplation than annoyance. “Right, well, what was wrong with you at school?” Straight to the point, but I can’t say I was thrilled about that.

“Never mind. I don’t want to talk about this anymore,” I stood and walked into the kitchen, purely for the distance between us.

She wouldn’t let me have that pleasure. She stood and followed my steps, stopping across from where I stood. “Come on, Sky. We’re already here, so you might as well come clean.”

“No, Rainbow. Look,” I dropped my hand on the counter, allowing it to smack against the surface. “I appreciate the effort, but I really don’t want to talk about it.”

We stood in silence. It felt like ages, but I wouldn’t have been so lucky. “Alright,” It stuck with me. “Alright, I won’t ask you about it if you don’t want to talk about it,” The last person I expected to say that, was Rainbow Dash. She struck me as the kind of girl to never give up, never take “no” for a final answer. But it seemed I was wrong there too. “But now we’re stuck here. I mean, we can’t exactly walk back into school like we didn’t just leave. Besides, I had a test today and I didn’t study,” She walked back into the front room and dropped onto the couch.

Although a bit hesitantly, I followed. I sat in the chair nearby and grabbed for the remote, but I was too slow. Rainbow stuck out her tongue as I watched her hand retract to her body, remote tightly in its grasp. I wanted to smile, but didn’t. It wouldn’t have been appropriate.

We spent the next hour or so channel surfing. Well, Rainbow was doing all the surfing. I sat and watched a few minutes of whatever show she stopped on before she switched it again. She broke the silence with “Well, I’m bored. There’s never anything good on anymore.”

“Yeah,” I agreed, “there never is during school hours.”

“Oh,” She smiled, a bit menacingly, towards me. “So you skip school on a regular occasion, huh?”

I laughed a bit at her accusation. “No, but I always have to find something else to do when I get sick because,” I gestured towards the television, “there’s never anything on.”

Rainbow returned my laugh. “I know, I was just kidding!”

I smiled and got to my feet, partially to stretch, but mostly to find something to eat. “So what do you do when you get bored like this?” I walked into the kitchen, rummaging through cabinets and the inside of the refrigerator.

“Huh?” She stood and followed me as I walked towards the oven, a frozen pizza in my hands.

“You said you ‘always’ get bored, so that’s why you asked for my number,” I stopped. “Now that I think about it, that’s kind of mean,” I smiled at her as I switched on the oven.

She shoved my arm a bit in return. “Whatever,”

We returned to the living room, but this time, we sat together on the couch instead of separated. I looked at the clock. It was only nine o’clock. “Hmm,” I started, thinking of my first class of the day. “I’d still be stuck in Music Appreciation right now.”

“I’d be in Algebra,” Rainbow rolled her head in my general direction. “I guess we’re both lucky to get out of there, huh?” We shared a laugh. I had no disliking for music, quite the opposite, actually. But the class was so dreadfully boring when we were doing actual work. It was difficult to stand.

“So... what now?” I asked half-heartedly. It didn’t bother me what we did. I was in that state of mind where everything seemed entertaining, just because I was so bored.

“It’s your house!” Rainbow suddenly shot back. “What do you do when you get bored?”

I thought a moment. Oddly enough, however, little came to mind. Well, nothing I thought would interest her. “Just complain about being bored, really.”

She sat a moment before shifting onto her knees, still in her seat on the couch. I watched as she peeked through the blinds that covered a nearby window. “You’ve got an entire forest back here, you know,” Yes, that was true, but I had never explored it. It simply never crossed my mind, until then.

“Yeah, I know,” I twisted around to look out of a window of my own at the mass of trees. It was, by no means, a small area of trees. I wasn’t sure how far it stretched back, but I knew it was across the entire field of crops that grew behind my house, which was already massive to begin with. “So, what? Just go walking in the woods?”

“Beats sitting around here, no offense,” She returned to her normal, seated position and I followed her example.

“Don’t worry about it. It sucks living out in the country like this,” At that moment, I heard the light flick off on the oven, a sign that it was finished heating up. I rose to my feet and entered the kitchen.

“Yeah, it is pretty boring out here,” I suddenly heard from almost directly behind me. I slid the pizza into the oven and set the timer. Sure, it wasn’t the right time to be eating a pizza, but there were worse things I could have prepared.

Later, after having eaten the tiny excuse for a pizza, the pair of us left for the, currently unknown, set of trees just across my backyard. “How come you never came out here before?” Rainbow asked as we entered beyond the first row of trees.

“Well,” It didn’t take much time to think of an answer. “I never thought of it. Plus, I’m not really the outdoors-y kind of person.”

That seemed to be enough for her in the way of an answer, so we continued our entrance in silence. Eventually, we found our way deeper into the trees, finding different things along the way. It was odd what a person could find that deep into the woods. We found a lot of different things, differing in condition, size, and value, though nothing was worth keeping.

After about fifteen minutes of wandering, we saw something hanging high in a nearby tree. “What’s that?” I pointed towards the strange construction.

Rainbow squinted against the sun. “It looks like a tree-house,” She smiled a bit and quickly jogged towards the tree which held the thing away from the ground. I walked slowly behind as she found her way to the tree and peered behind it. “There’s a ladder!”

I quickened my pace and found that she had already begun climbing up the flimsy spokes. “Careful, it might break,” I said as she climbed onto the deck of the tree-house.

She poked her head out of the opening and looked back down at me. “Saying I’m fat?” She laughed.

I smiled and made my own way up. It felt as though it would break at any given moment and I would fall onto the hard ground below. But it held under my weight, a bit to my surprise.

I threw a knee onto the wooden planks that held us up. Rainbow had already made herself comfortable, as she was laying on her back, staring up into the sky, which was clear of any branches for the first time since we entered.

Unable to force myself to get to my feet, for fear I would fall off, I sat beside her, following her gaze up into the clouds. “I’ll hit you if you ever tell anyone this,” Rainbow suddenly said after a few moments of silence between the two of us. “But it’s always been a dream of mine to be able to fly, to just,” She reached a hand towards the sky, “be able to touch a cloud,” She was quiet a moment more, before letting out a dry chuckle. “I sound dumb, don’t I?”

“No,” I spoke surely. “I think that sounds really cool. Flying around all day without a care,” I lied down on my back beside her, “it sounds great.”

She again broke our silence with a threat. “Don’t forget, if you tell anyone, I’ll punch you.”

I smiled. “Don’t worry; I won’t,” We only stared for a few minutes more before the silence was once again broken. But this time, it was by me. “Rainbow?”

“Yeah?” Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Rainbow tilt her head towards me.

“This morning, before you kidnaped me,” I smiled at my own self-deprecation, “I was talking with one of my other friends. Well, I guess he’s not anymore,” I paused, expecting Rainbow to interject, but she never did. “Anyway, I actually saw one of the guys that was there that night at the school. It turns out, my fr- this guy was the one who broke into the school.

“I didn’t say anything because he’s dating Pinkie Pie and I didn’t want her to think I was jealous or anything like that. But when I talked to him about it, Pinkie overheard. She said that she never wanted to see me again, then ran away crying.

“That’s why I was acting the way I was this morning back at the school. But that isn’t even the worst part,” I paused, mentally preparing the words I would say next. “After Pinkie ran away, I turned around and saw him smiling. He’s glad that Pinkie hates me now,” I stopped, unable to continue without letting my emotions mix with my words.

Rainbow spoke up sooner than I thought she would. “Who is this guy?”

I didn’t know why I wanted to tell her, but I jumped at the opportunity. “Henry Wilson. We used to be best friends, but I don’t know where all that went.”

Silence seemed to be a common thing between the two of us. But I was tired of it. “We should probably get back,” I said as I got up and began my way down the ladder.

Rainbow stuck her head out from above me. “What? Why?”

I looked back up at her as I found the ground beneath my feet. “Because I’m pretty sure I left the oven on.”