• Published 1st Jul 2014
  • 1,165 Views, 14 Comments

Springtime; Ponyville. - the frank



In the early morning, ponys gets lost in their feelings and floats downstream.

  • ...
8
 14
 1,165

Reminiscings.

Rainbow Dash was sitting on the balcony of the Golden Oaks library, eyes closed, dreaming. She loved these mornings when she was the first one awake, in the stillness and the silence. It was a lovely April morning. The temperature was just right to not be too cold, but still had crispness. The sky was almost completely clear blue except for a couple of clouds slowly moving northeast. It was even better when it was raining and the sound of raindrops on the leaves turned all of Ponyville into an oasis of tranquillity, but this kind of morning was pretty awesome too.

Rainbow opened her eyes. She looked at the sky. It was a great day for flying. Maybe a little trip to that cloud there would be nice. It was a really big cloud and... Dang, it looked a bit like Cloudsdale.

Cloudsdale... Rainbow gazed and let her mind drift. Reality blurred with daydreams, and pretty soon, the cloud had turned into the real Cloudsdale. Cloudsdale... Rainbow could see the magnificent, majestic buildings and the rainbow falls shining in the morning sun. The first weather patrol was already at work. She could almost hear the bickering from the managers and the sighs from the pegasi workers who hated the early mornings. There were also civilians, just taking a slow morning flight, perhaps with the thought of getting some breakfast on a nice cloud. On the highest cloud there was the Rainbow Factory. Fresh clouds were erupting from the main gate. Ah, the smell of fresh clouds in the morning... Rainbow remembered that feeling of a job well done. She could see herself standing on the bridge, with her colleagues around her. Their faces were a bit blurry, except for the guy in brown on her left. It was Feather Hooves, the assistant manager. Oh, and there was Derpy Hooves, with a reclaimed rain cloud. It was raining upwards. Typical. There were other pegasi, most of them without distinct faces, some of them without colour. Rainbow couldn't remember them other than as ponies just passing by... But there was that mare with the red mane... Her colleague in cloud mending. Oh, what was her name again... She had that really annoying voice... The pony with the red mane suddenly got a mouth and a high pitched "blah blah blah" came out of it... But she was still pretty sweet. Oh dang, what was the name... Oh yeah. Sky Screamer. Despite that incredibly irritating voice, she was a nice pony.... In small doses. The featureless face suddenly got eyes and a muzzle and a sweet smile.

Something black flew through Rainbow's view. What was that? Some kind of bird? In Rainbow's blurry vision, the bird became the Wonderbolts. The next thing she knew, she was up there with them. She was flying in a five piece formation with herself in the middle, Soarin and Lightning Dust on her left, Scarlet Scrambler and Cloud Kicker on her right. It was perfect. They were at the very end of the routine. First a perfectly synchronized loop. Then a "Maverick", where ponies 1, 3 and 5 performed a Hammerhead with a reversed end and ponies 2 and 4 did a tail slide. While seemingly out of sync, they all ended up in a perfect line. Then they finished with a Pugachev's cobra. The adrenaline, the pressure on her wings... Ah, this was life. Somewhere behind her she could hear Spitfire screaming, "IS THAT THE BEST YOU CAN DO? NOW GET UP THERE AND DO SOME REAL MOVES!"

Those words only encouraged Rainbow, and with a slow nod to her wingponies, she made a quick turn to the left. Now they were going big, the false Lumcovac. From the ground, it looked like random movements and free, uncontrolled falling, but it was in fact an asynchronous and very slow execution of a Cuban eight, with the pegasi only rotating around themselves, followed by roll after perfectly aligned barrel roll. It demanded a lot of training, but it was very simple and extremely efficient. Rainbow snickered.

Then, all of a sudden, there was another sound, tiny hooves stepping over the floor. There were murmurs of small voices inside. Now the sun was rising. The day began for real. Cloudsdale dissolved into a cloud again and the Wonderbolts disappeared in the far west, almost looking like a flock of crows. Rainbow heard the balcony door open. Her mind was immediately brought back down from the sky to the ground by the little pegasus filly that came crashing down on her, giving her a big hug.

"Mummy!"

Rainbow looked at her daughter. She had purple fur, a red mane, and cyan eyes, the best of both worlds. There was no trick that could beat the feeling of having this little thing.

"Morning, Sparky! Sleep well?"

"Yeah... But Glowing stole my blanket again," her daughter said with a pout.

"Oh, did she? Well, that's what babies do, you know. Just steal it back. You’re the big sister. Show her who's the boss!"

"I wanted to... But mom says that's not nice."

"Ehhh... Well, mom knows best, I guess... But what can we do to make you feel better..." She lowered her voice to a whisper. "Alright, let's get some junk food consolation! I say let's go down and eat a whole jar of cookies for breakfast! If we're quick, mom won't see us!"

The eyes of the little filly started to glow.

"Yay! Cookies!"

"Ehhhrrm..." A grunt was heard behind them. They turned around, and there stood Twilight with little Glowing in her hooves.

Rainbow put her hooves to her cheek and gasped in mock-surprise. "Awww darn, squirt. We're busted!"

Twilight looked at her wife and oldest daughter with an equally mocking disapproving look. "What did I just hear? COOKIES for breakfast? Now that is the most... Awesome idea! Sparkling, go get the cookie jar, sweetie. I have the drinks already!" Sparkling Bolt jumped down from Rainbow's knee and ran for the kitchen. Twilight levitated two mugs of coffee and two mugs of milk to the table. She gave her wife a kiss and buried her muzzle in her mane.

"You smell like spring, Dashie... Mmm..."

Rainbow took Glowing in her embrace. The baby filly cuddled herself up and pretty soon she fell asleep in her mommy’s hooves. "Sleepy, just like her mother."

"Yeah... And just like her, she's beautiful."

"Awww... Twi, you sweet talker... But you’re right. I am beautiful!"

"Have you been up long?"

"A while. I like mornings. I was just sitting there, thinking, you know."

"Mhm..." Twilight gave her wife another kiss and a hug from behind. "And what were you thinking about?"

Rainbow thought. She thought about the Wonderbolts, the sonic rainboom, the feeling of flying... Then she looked at her wife, her sleeping little filly and the sounds of their bigger filly messing around in the kitchen. She caught the scent of spring, she heard the sound of the birds, and in the distance she heard the sounds of a Ponyville awakening to another beautiful day.

"I was thinking how there's really no place like home," she said, and gave her wife a long, deep kiss.

Author's Note:

Rainbow Dash's daughters are called Sparkling Bolt and Glowing Sunset. They are like 4-5 and 1-2 tears old.
And Rainbow is still a member of the wonderbolts, she just went into the reserve so she could be with her family. Also, this story takes place in a world where season 3 and 4 doesn't exist. Hence the AU tag. It was easier that way. just in case you are wondering.

Edited on the 15th of July by wdeleon