• Published 28th May 2014
  • 388 Views, 37 Comments

Once Upon A December - ThePrinceOfTheNorth



Many Things Lie In The Caves Above Cloudsdale...

  • ...
4
 37
 388

Chapter 9: End of Chaos

Chapter 9: End of Chaos

Crystal had reached the city gates sooner than she'd expected. She'd thought there would be at least a few minions to try and stop her, but there had been little more than burnt grass. She heard something behind her, and spun around, almost blasting General Alexander's head off.

"Jeeze, watch where you shoot that, you highness," said Alexander as he regained his composure. "Stormcry briefed me on the situation. It's good to have you back, my lord."

Crystal nodded. "I was never gon in the first place, and it's milady or Crystal now."

"Of course milady," said Alexander with a nod before following Crystal into the burning city.

As the duo moved through the city, buildings came tumblig down around them, unable to stand on their burnt supports, which snapped under the pressure. Some building continued to stand, but the roof of each and every building was an inferno of burning straw, hay and wood. All that really remained was Canterlot Castle, it's stone walls and tiled roof immune to the heat of the fires that surrounded it.

Crystal and Alexander entered the gates to the castle courtyard, and were met by a very amused Discord.

"Hello there," exclaimed Discord, "I have to admit, I didn't think anyone would still be around, save that Solar Flare. My, she is a bad one, isn't she?"

"Cut the games, Discord," said Crystal with authority, "Do you know where the Shard Celestia found is?"

"Of course I do," replied Discord, "Why wouldn't I? Oh, and I suppose you want me to take you to it as well?"

"You just read my mind," said Crystal.

Discord sighed. "Okay, then. You two are no fun at all. Follow me."

Crystal and Alexander followed Discord through the blackened halls of Canterlot Castle, the decorations laying charred and brittle along the corridors.

"I have a bad feeling about this, milady," Alexander whispered to Crystal as Discord stopped in front of a large door.

"Same here," Crystal whispered back as Discord opened the door, beckoning them in.

They obliged and entered the room. It was Celestia's study, naturally, and everything in it was no more than piles of ash.

Except the Shard, which lay in the middle of the floor.

Alexander proceeded to grab the Shard. As his fingers touched it, a draconic tale knocked him backwards of his feet and into the wall beside the enterance.

Crystal, who'd watched Alexander fly across the room, turned to face Discord. "TRAITOR!"

"Who, me," Discord said before flinging Crystal at the wall as well, "I am SHOCKED at this accusation!"

As he said that, and arc of energy flew from his claws right into Crystal and Alexander, injuring them badly.

"I never really did like any of you," Discord said, "Oh so high and mighty, no? To serve the Princesses and not fulfill my purpose? No, I will have my Cha.."

Crystal fired a bolt of powerful magic at Discord, sending him flying inot the opposite wall. In that moment, Alexander sprung from the ground, drwing his sword as he flew across the room, and plunged it into Discord's heart.

All was silent for a moment, then Crystal rose to her hooves, and Alexander to his feet.

"Well," said Alexander, turning to face Crystal, "I suppose that's tha.."

Alexander was stopped mid-sentence as a claw was plunged into hsi back, coming out through his stomach.

"ALEXANDER!"

Discord rose from the gronud, keeping his claw in Alexander. His colors had changed. There were darker, more evil in appearance. And his voice had deepened, all trace of humaor gone from anything he spoke.

"You believed that you could defeat ME!"

"RUN MILADY," Alexander screamed as he chopped off Discord's claw, making the demented draconquus scream in agony. TAKE THE SHARD AND GO, NOW! I'LL HOLD HIM BACK!"

Crystal nodded, quickly grabbing the Shard and racing out. Alexander turned back to Discord, who glared back with pure hate and madness.

"Let's see what you're made of," Alexander said before charging at Discord, who also leapt at him. "FOR SOLSTICE!"

~~~~~~~~

Crystal raced trhough the halls, kicking up ash as she went. Not looking where she was going, she ran headlong into something, and fell on her flank with an "Oof!"

Dazed, Crystal rubbed her head and looked up to see Princess Celestia instead of Solar Flare.

"What in Nightmare's name," said Crystal before Celestia grabbed her, pulling her out of the way as a rumble caused a burned bookcase to fall where she'd just been seconds before. "Thanks, but how are you..."

"Not Solar Flare," said Celestia, finishing Crystal's question. "I used my magic to disguise myself after I found the enchantment on the Shard and dispelled it."

Crystal nodded. "Very wise of you, but now we need to leave."

"What for," Celestia asked as Crystal rose to her full height, which was slightly taller than Celestia.

"General Alexander, one of the late Prince Winter's men, is battling Discord," said Crystal. "Discord's changed. He's no longer, well, himself."

Celestia nodded in understanding and the two Alicorns made their way out of the castle, through the still-burning streets, and out of Canterlot.

"So...what...now," Celestia asked, panting. They were just outside the gate, and Celestia was exhausted from all the running. She never really did run much anymore.

"We wait," said Crystal.

"For who?"

"Me," said a third voice. Crystal and Celestia turned to the gates to see General Alexander standing there, almost completely covered in blood. His left arm was missing, and was bandaged with fabric from one of the banners in the castle. In his other hand was gripped something large. With a great heave, Alexander threw Discord's bloody head forward, blood still trickling from it. "I'm not finished yet, milady."

Crystal nodded. "I never doubted you for a second."

Alexander nodded in return. "Do you still have the Shard?"

Crystal nodded, pulling the Shard from under her wing. "The Shard of Generosity, tainted with Greed, but cleansed by Celestia."

Alexander nodded. "Good. Let's go, then. Don't want to keep Nightmare Moon and the others waiting."

Crystal and Celestia both nodded, and the trio began making their way away from the burning ruins of Canterlot.