• Published 25th May 2014
  • 753 Views, 14 Comments

New Lunar Republic - Setting the Scorching Sun - Word Painter



1000 years ago Celestia, not Luna, went evil. She is slowly changing the land from a diarchy to a dictatorship. Luna is torn between bowing to her sister or fighting the one she loved most.

  • ...
4
 14
 753

A Daring Plan

Luna ran around the room frantically trying to organize the the creation of the pamphlet, magic door, and symbolic clothing, all while thinking about whether or not to go through with this crazy half-baked plan. In other words, Luna was stressed. The three cups of coffee weren't helping, and although the drink wasn't calming her nerves she had it dangling in her magic along with her clipboard and quill, so she could stay awake while checking on preparations.

"So," Luna said to blue unicorn stallion from the magic group, "How will the portal work again?"

The stallion smiled. "Well, you already set a waypoint in the castle, so all we need to do is reopen it and attach it to a door frame. Then you just need to use a specially modified activation spell to establish the link."

Luna nodded her head. "And is the gate sustainable for long periods of time?" she asked.

"Yes," the unicorn replied. "Once the spell is put in place, it can run indefinitely."

"Good," Luna said, satisfied with the stallion's answer and the incredible speed of the perfection of the spell. "Thank you for the update."

Luna walked away from the unicorn and was heading towards Ink Velum to check up on the progress of the inside of the pamphlet, when --

"LUNA!!" Bella yelled, trying to capture the alicorn's attention. Luna turned around to find Bella beckoning for her to come over to the side of the room sectioned off for the designer's group. The alicorn trotted over and reached out with her magic to move aside the hastily created barrier between the designers and the rest of the group which Bella had insisted on, since she wanted a private place for her group to work. Luna was only stepping though a gap in tattered curtains, but the difference was huge.

"WOW!" Luna exclaimed, staring at at the bustling mass of ponies. Several of them were making advanced measurements with metallic instruments that Luna could not name. Others were making drawings and concept art of a beautiful amulet. Each sketch was an improvement on the last, as the design grew more and more intricate. There was also a group of unicorns (some from the magic group, others designers) blasting away at and putting various charms and enchantments on an assortment of metals, jewels, and stones. This organized chaos was only held together by Bella, who was running around with a checklist similar to Luna's.

"Luna!" Bella exclaimed excitedly. "We just finished the final modifications on the prototypes, and we would like you to look it over." She started to walk over to a table on the far side of the room, and Luna followed close behind. The two mares reached the table and stared down at its contents. There on the table were six dazzling amulets depicting the emblem of the new Lunar Republic. They had obsidian wings and some strange silvery white rock as the moon. The crowning jewel was that each of the stars were different colors, and made of a polished metal that glistened with a magic aura.

"Wow," Luna said. "Just WOW!" Her mouth was wide open in a look of pure awe.

Bella blushed but proceeded to explain the amulets features. "Well, my group and I thought that we should have a different color star for each group to represent originality, and for the rest of the amulet to be the same to represent unity," she explained. "As an added bonus, we got the magic group to help make it, so it will stay attached to you without needing an article of clothing to put it on." Bella picked up an amulet with her magic and put it to her neck. Then to Luna's astonishment, it vanished.

"Where did it go?" Luna exclaimed, visibly confused.

"Oh, I almost forgot," Bella said. "You can only see an amulet if you're wearing one." Then Bella levitated the blue amulet to Luna's neck, where it attached itself firmly. Suddenly Luna could see the gold amulet that was attached to Bella's chest by no visible means. "The stone is laced with a masking spell to make it invisible to every pony who isn't wearing an amulet themselves. We thought it would be a good idea, because then the solar army could not see them."

"That's brilliant!" Luna exclaimed. "Do you know when you could make more?"

Bella smiled. "We can have the whole movement outfitted by next meeting if you want."

"That's great," Luna said, placing her amulet back on the table and starting for the exit, needing to check on Ink Velum and Paint Stroke. "Keep me posted."

Luna stepped out of the makeshift fashion studio only to be stopped by the very stallions she had been looking for, holding something between them. It took Luna a few seconds to process what it was, then she got it.

"You're done already!" Luna said, shocked.

"Yep," Paint Stroke said. "One pamphlet on why Celestia is corrupt, on what the New Lunar Republic is, and on creativity and freedom."

Luna took the paper up in her magic and read through it. The cover was a beautiful picture of the emblem with Luna standing tall, erect,and gorgeous in the background. The inside, though, was the real star of the show. It was persuasive but in a way that didn't seem too demanding, and it was written to make the reader want to do something. And even as Luna was reading the pamphlet, all doubts of what had to be done faded in her mind. She looked up from the pamphlet and smiled. "Good work," she said, before going to collect the other group leaders.

***

"The plan is simple," Firefly said. "Luna goes to the press office, gives them the pamphlet in an envelope, says it's from her sister, and gets the heck out of there."

"You remember the spell, Luna?" Nexus asked.

"Yep," Luna said.

"Once you're in the castle we will connect with you from here," Nexus said.

"OK," Luna replied.

There was an awkward silence in the group as the realty of the crazy and possibly fatal plan sank in. Luna stood up. "I better get going," she said, as she walked out the door.

Luna walked though Canterlot on autopilot, not really thinking about her steps but about how she was walking towards her impending doom, and how every step led her closer to her certain demise. After what seemed like no time she reached an imposing building with a large sign that read "Canterlot Press" in bold print. Luna walked into the building, a bead of sweat on her brow. She trotted through the lobby, walked up to the front desk, and said the lines which she had been rehearsing in her head since the plans conception: "I have a pamphlet directly from Celestia. You are to distribute them to all Equestria." Luna straightened her back and tried to sound commanding. "The pamphlet, by direct order of Celestia, is to be kept secret until distributed, and is to be seen by only those who absolutely need to."

"YES, MA'AM," said the pony at the desk, before taking the envelope Luna handed him.

Luna got out of the press building before starting to hyperventilate as the realization sank in. The air suddenly felt cold as she conjured the door and walked swiftly through the frame, making her escape. Princess Luna had just committed high treason.

Author's Note:

I really tried to be more descriptive in this chapter to improve the quality of my work. Speaking of quality, a special shout out to Latin Linguist, my editor, for fixing my horrible spelling and grammar. P.S. If you can spot the Invader Zim reference, you are a boss.