• Published 25th May 2014
  • 754 Views, 14 Comments

New Lunar Republic - Setting the Scorching Sun - Word Painter



1000 years ago Celestia, not Luna, went evil. She is slowly changing the land from a diarchy to a dictatorship. Luna is torn between bowing to her sister or fighting the one she loved most.

  • ...
4
 14
 754

The First Move

The last meeting had been a major success. All the members of the council had decided to let Melody and her group start work on the song independently. The circle also decided (with Bella's grudging approval) to postpone the making of the symbolic clothing until the emblem was made. That had led to the biggest decision of the night. They were going to ask everypony in the art group to draw an emblem, and then they would vote on which one would be the emblem of the republic. Luna just hoped that this meeting would be that much of a success. She walked into Sun Stiles after reciting this week's password, and quickly headed to the basement. She entered to find all the groups in their respective places with the exception of the art group, who were quickly setting up their paintings and drawings of emblems. Their leader, Paint Stroke, was hurriedly helping ponies hang up their art. Once everypony showed up, Luna started the meeting.

"Welcome," she said in a proud voice, trying to boost the energy levels in the room, "to a very important meeting of the new Luna Republic Movement." There were a few cheers from the audience, as if Luna's excitement was contagious. She pulled out her agenda, which had been hastily thrown together at the end of the last meeting. Announce that we will be voting on an emblem, and then bring up Paint Stroke to show off paintings. "Today we will be voting on the emblem of the republic." Luna motioned at Paint Stroke to come up. "Here's Paint Stroke to start off the voting."

***

The final two contestants stood in front of their entries.

"Now," Paint Stroke said, "the two contestants will explain why their paintings should be the emblem, and then the final pole will be taken."

A tall unicorn stallion walked up with a canvas in the grip of his magic. The canvas in question held the image of a dark navy blue shield with a black crescent moon in the middle, and a four-pointed star at the top. On the base of the shield was a faint golden yellow box, off which the words 'Let the Moon Shine' were clearly visible. "Now," the unicorn said, "I think this should be our emblem, because it represents how we are willing to defend the night in all its glory, and that we will let the moon shine on forever!" The unicorn stepped back to his place in line with applause ringing in his ears. Then a pegasus mare stepped forward, her painting held up by a stand. The painting was simple, yet amazing and … strange. It was of a sideways crescent moon with wings on both sides. The wings were different than anything anypony had ever seen. They were sharp cut and bold. Their feathers were spread out, and in between the tips of the feathers was a star, held to the crescent moon by a bold line. "I believe this should be our emblem, because it shows we are not afraid to be different, creative, and original. The wings on the moon represent our ability to take Equestria to new heights," the mare finished, and stepped back to her place to deafening applause. Paint Stroke stepped back up and began to speak. "All who vote for this emblem," he pointed at the unicorn stallion's emblem, "go to the left side of the room." About one third of the ponies went.

"Looks like we have a winner," Paint Stroke said, pointing at the strange painting that the pegasus had entered.

After the emblem was decided, Luna called together a meeting of all the leaders.

"So," Luna said, turning to address Bella, the leader of the designers group, "now that we have an emblem, do you think you could make the clothing piece?"

"Yes, I'll get my group organized and designing right after the meeting," Bella answered confidently.

"Good," said Luna. "Now, how is the song going, Melody?"

"Good," Melody replied. "It should only be about another week."

"I think the flying group should get something to do," Firefly put in. "We haven't done anything yet."

"I think both the magic and flight groups' contributions would be more extreme, and should be saved until after we are known," Nexus said.

"I agree. We need to make a first move before we do anything drastic," Bella said.

"I agree," Ink velum affirmed.

"I think we should start out strong," Firefly argued.

"But then we would be putting all our cards on the table at once. Are you sure that's smart?" Bella questioned, tone raising ever so slightly.

"Well, we would go out in a blaze of glory!" Firefly exclaimed.

"Yes, but we can live longer if we don't start with something big," Bella shot back.

The argument escalated, until -- "QUIET!!!" Everypony in the room looked at Melody.

"Don't get your tails in a wad, you two!" the usually soft spoken Melody exclaimed. There was a bit of silence before Luna spoke up.

"Firefly, if you wait until we've made our first move, you can put on a more grand show," she said.

"How about a poster?" Nexus asked.

"How would we pass them out?" Paint Stroke wondered.

"A pamphlet!" Luna exclaimed. "I can sneak it in as one of Celestia's new pamphlets!"

"I think that's a wonderful idea!" Bella exclaimed.

"It seems good," Firefly put in.

"I could get my group working on a cover," offered Paint Stroke.

"And the writer's group could get working on the inside," Ink Velum said.

"Wait," Nexus interjected. "What about Luna?" All the members of the council sat in silence as the true gravity of the situation set in. "She will be seen as a traitor to the empire. Celestia will have the entire army after her, as well as every tracking spell known to Ponykind."

Luna gulped down the lump that had been forming in her throat. "I'll leave Canterlot," she said quietly. "I'll go to the old castle -- the one in the Everfree Forest."

The room was dead silent. Everypony turned to stare at Luna. It was widely known that the Everfree had been cursed with a spell to make it wild, so no pony would try to leave Equestria.

"It's too dangerous," Nexus said, breaking the silence. This opened the lid on the bottle, and the whole room started to try to convince and even plead for Luna not to go. Luna waited a second before --

"QUIET!" Luna exclaimed. "I can use the old castle. It has so many enchantments that it should hold up." Luna faltered. Did she really want to turn her life upside down like this?

"But how will you communicate with us if you are half way across Equestria?" Melody asked.

Luna thought for a moment, gears turning as she scoured her memory for a useful piece of information. Finally she remembered a spell that had been a pet project of hers. "I had been working on a spell I called the Set Point Spell before we left the castle. The spell was supposed to let some pony place down one "set point" and then create a door that leads there out of thin air. I already have a set point in my old room, and with help from the magic group, maybe I could re-establish the link."

"That could work," Nexus affirmed.

"OK," Luna said, gulping down her fear. "Let's get to work."

Author's Note:

Sorry it's late -- I got writer's block. See ya next Saturday!