• Published 23rd May 2014
  • 2,121 Views, 21 Comments

The Hunt for Books - Convair



A changeling's quest for love, friendship and a pile of books.

  • ...
1
 21
 2,121

Chapter 2

“Is it dead, Novel?”

“I’m not sure dear. Should we check, or leave it for now?”

Novel Tale, one of Canterlot’s premier book salesmen, was not usually at a loss for what to do but having a changeling, one of the things that had just invaded his city, either unconscious or dead on his basement floor left him without an inkling of what he should do with it.

On one hoof, if it was dead he needed only to drag its corpse into the street, where the Royal Guard would (hopefully) dispose of it. However, if the changeling was alive he had two options: give it to the guards who would no-doubt do horrible things to it for some sense of revenge. On the other hoof, he could try to keep the changeling in his basement until some of the hype died down, but of course with his family here the changeling would be endangering them, so this option was already thrown out the window.

“Go check it out honey, I'm sure my big, strong stallion can handle an overgrown bug. I’ll stay up here to keep the kids out of trouble”

With his wife's assurances behind him, Novel went down the stairs, stopping in front of the changeling which, to his shock, had somehow grown to the size of his beloved princess Luna, just a tad smaller that the Celestial alicorn herself! After a few moments of absolute silence of trying to process this, punctuated only by Novel’s breathing, he decided that it would be safe to approach the huge body.

When he got close enough he realized that changelings might not have the same internal layout as ponies, so he had no way of knowing how to check the changelings vitals. Deciding to just go for it, he put his hoof over the changeling’s massive neck where a pony’s jugular would normally be.

Through the plates of chitin armor and smooth, leathery skin he felt a strong, rhythmic pulse that went through the bug-pony’s neck. It’s alive! Novel thought to himself. After the shock and fear of having a living and breathing changeling in his home, especially one that had suddenly grown three times it’s previous size, Novel did the reasonable thing: called for his wife to make sure he wasn't seeing things.

“Feather, dear could you please come downstairs for a moment?”

Feather Duster, a maid in the Canterlot Castle, was a very kind and gentle soul, being the peace that often placated the chaos that her husband and foals got themselves into regularly. However, when she left her children to play for a moment to see what her husband wanted to show her, nothing could have prepared her for the sight of him standing beside a massive changeling, looking far different than the one that he had imprisoned here the day before.

“N-n-Novel, what happened to it?”

“I have no idea, but I don’t think it being bigger is going to make it easier to deal with…”

“Well is it dead?”

“No. It’s alive, but still unconscious.”

“Well, should we wake it up or just leave it there dear?”

“I’m not sure. It didn’t seem very aggressive yesterday so it may leave us alone. Then again, the rest of its kind just got flung out of the city, so it may not be in a very good mood…”

“I see your point sweetie. Maybe we should toss some water on it and run? Maybe try to talk with it through the door?”

“That sounds like a much safer idea than being it here when it’s awake, especially after it’s grown so big.”

“How did that happen anyway?”

“I honestly have no idea. Hopefully it can tell us when it wakes up.”

“Ok then, honey. I’ll go get the water, be back in a sec”

After she got a bucket of water from the kitchen, Feather brought the liquid to the basement where her husband was waiting patiently. “Well here goes nothing”, Novel said as he tossed the water on the changeling, Feather and himself immediately galloping up the stairs for the (supposed) safety of their home.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Scribe had found himself in a pleasant dream about the few parts of the second Daring Do book he had started before he had fallen unconscious. He was currently helping the heroic Pegasus fight off her archenemy Ahuizotl’s minions, many of which were creatures commonly found in the Everfree forest. He was suddenly ripped from the dream by the bucketful of frigid water that landed on his face, causing him to wake up, gasping for breath and spitting out the mouthful of water he had gotten.

After catching his breath, he took a look around and found himself in the very same basement he had been trapped in before he had been knocked out by the extreme wave of emotion. His senses still returning to him, he barely noticed the click of the door to the basement being closed, causing him to look towards the source of the disturbance. Through the crack of light coming through the door, he could tell there was at least one pony, if not more, standing behind the door, presumably after throwing the water at him and fleeing.

Curious as to why the ponies would wake him when they could just have easily killed or tied him up, he tried to stand up and make his way up the stairs. Unfortunately, Scribe was both unaware and unused to the size of his new body, so when he tried to stand up, he overshot his target on the floor, making him fall flat on his face.

For a brief moment, all Scribe knew was pain, but it soon faded away leaving only confusion as to why he had fallen. In the dim lighting of the basement Scribe looked over himself, jaw dropping when he saw how much larger he had gotten. “W-what happened to me?” the confused changeling asked himself. Suddenly, the events of the time before his fall to unconsciousness came back to him in a big rush of memory, overwhelming his already confused mind.

It took him a good five minutes to work through all of the things bouncing around in his head, the lifelong scribe finding it hard to comprehend that he had been elevated to the very cusp of godhood, at the same level of reverence of his queen and even the infernal pony princesses (though he knew he was certainly nowhere near their level of wisdom and power).

He knew that his very existence could now be seen as an attempt at unseating his queen from the throne; so going to his brethren for help was entirely out of the question, as he knew what happened to traitors under Chrysalis’ rule. He now had to find a way to get out of his basement both without alerting his brethren, and somehow getting past the ponies who had locked him in.

First things first he thought, Lets see what the ponies want. He carefully stood up, this time taking his increased height into account to successfully stand, his now thicker legs holding his larger frame up with ease. He slowly but surely made his way up the wooden stairs, each one creaking with his much heavier form’s every step, until he came to a stop at the top.

He heard several whispering voices on the other side of the door and tried to give it a knock to gather their attention, but with his increased size came increased strength and what was meant to be a knock ended up smashing the entire door from its frame, sending it flying between the two conversing ponies, and left it embedded it the opposite wall.

Both Scribe and the two ponies looked at the door with shock, Scribe more from having just smashed through a solid door he used to be barely able to dent, and the couple stared at it with open fear, both of the door itself and the creature that had destroyed it with such ease. They slowly turned to look at the looming form of Scribe, who had just shaken off the surprise of his new strength, and stared right back at the terrified husband and wife.

“Um…sorry about that. I’ll fix it, I promise!”

“There’s n-no need for that sir. W-we’ve been meaning t-to replace that door anyway” Feather quickly replied, hoping to keep the changeling who obviously didn’t know his own strength from ‘fixing’ anything in her house.

“Are you sure? That doesn’t look like it will be easy to repair…”

“Oh no worries dearie, no worries! We can have that fixed that up in a jiffy” Feather replied, laughing nervously.

“So would it be possible for either of you two to tell me what happened? I have a theory, but I would prefer to be certain before I do anything…”

“Oh well you see, Princess Cadenza and Prince Shining Armor kind of…defeated your army…” He said nervously, hoping the supersized changeling wouldn’t take his rage out on them.

“That’s impossible. We had already won. The only thing left was to secure the palace and that was nearly complete when I arrived here.”

Feather and her husband looked at each other nervously, trying to figure out the best way to explain what had happened to the supersized drone. Eventually Novel gathered the courage and spoke: “It is possible, seeing as it happened yesterday and everyone in the city saw it.”

“Saw what happen?” Scribe asked accusingly.

“Um well… they used their love to expel the changeling army from Canterlot when they touched horns after Princess Cadenza escaped the crystal caves. They are redoing their wedding today.”

“Prove it” said Scribe smugly, believing the ponies to be bluffing to save themselves.

“Why don’t you take a look outside.” Said Feather while she and her husband inched their way away from the changeling who was no doubt going to freak out when he realized he was alone, with hundreds of guards searching for his kind.

With a huff, Scribe went over to one of the many windows in the shop and where he expected to find his brethren patrolling the streets or pillaging the shops that ran its length, he found only ponies going about their daily routines, albeit looking around at each other with paranoia.

H-how can this be? We had defeated them all, even Celestia! Seeing the numerous guards peering into the crowd of ponies who were no doubt preparing for a wedding, if what his former captors had told him was accurate, he decided to pull his head back into the store where the guards wouldn’t be able to spot him.

“I-if they defeated us with their love, is that love what transformed me?” asked the now terrified changeling.

“It could be, but then again I don’t know very much about changelings, now do I?” said Novel, who was now concerned for what the changeling may do in his current situation, as a cornered animal is the most dangerous. His love of literacy returning to him, Scribe asked Novel if he had any books that could help him figure out what exactly had happened.

“I believe we do have a book about myths and monsters that had something about changelings in it. I’ll go fetch it, be back in a moment.” With this Novel went to one of the many shelves in the store and began searching for the aforementioned book. They put us in a book with monsters? Scribe asked himself. Deciding to ask about his fate with the pony couple and their foals, he turned to Feather to ask his question.

“What are you going to do with me?”

“What are WE going to do with YOU? It looks to me like we couldn’t do very much to you if we tried” said the still uneasy mare.

Scribe looked down at himself, this time paying far more attention to the now massive muscles and several inch thick layer of chitin that now covered his entire body.

“I guess I have gotten a bit bigger and stronger since I transformed.”

“A little?” Feather asked sarcastically.

“HERE IT IS” Came the shout from Novel as he brought back the sought after book in his teeth. After he put the book on a nearby reading table, he beckoned the duo over towards himself and the open book. After they were suitably surrounding the table, Novel started flipping pages until at last he found the page titled CHANGELINGS: SHAPESHIFTING TERRORS.

“Ah here we are, now lets see if there is anything about what happened to you.” He then slowly skimmed the pages, searching for any key words that would indicate the part of text they were searching for.

“Aha!” he exclaimed when he at last found the subchapter labeled ROYAL CHANGELINGS. The three of them awkwardly squeezed against each other, trying to read what was written which ended up with Scribe in the middle with a pony pushing inwards on him from either side. Here is what they read:


Changeling Royals or more commonly known as either King or Queen changelings are the backbone of an entire changeling hive. The king or queen is responsible for leading the swarm both in diplomacy with other hives or species and as the high general during conflict.

Hives will ordinarily have only one Royal, unless there are a King and Queen ruling together. In the hives, a Royal’s word is law and disobeying them can lead to severe punishment, though some Royals prefer to treat their subjects more like the Equestrian Princesses than the totalitarian dictators many of them are.

Royals have powers much greater than any ordinary changeling can ever hope to attain which only increases with the more emotional energy they absorb. This flexible amount of power in their bodies as well as their incredible strength, regeneration and size (about that of an alicorn when fully grown) makes them extremely dangerous advisories. It is thought that at their peak power, a Royal could possibly defeat an alicorn of even Celestia’s caliber, as when given enough love they can be nearly invincible, practically glowing with magic.

One of the few ponies to travel to a changeling hive and return, Sir Winding Wind brought back to Equestria a small tidbit of information regarding the creation of Royals, rumored to have been told to him by a changeling itself! He said that when a hive requires a new Royal to lead it when the current one has become ready to pass on the responsibility, the current King or Queen would become fertile, enabling him or her to mate with a drone of their choice to produce the heir*. Once the heir is born, the Royal will teach it all they know, so that the hive may flourish under the new rule. Once the heir has come to age they will take the crown, their predecessor living out the rest of their life as an advisor or any other profession of their choice with in the hive. It is said to be a somewhat chaotic system that the Royals have to transfer power, but due to their long lives the effect is minimal and the hive will supposedly become stronger with the new Royal in place.

*Sir Wind also brought up a myth/legend he encountered when he was inside the hive, which pertained to another way of a Royal being created. In his words “Those bugs had a strange little legend that they told me one day. They said that if an ordinary drone was to absorb enough pure love, that they would be transformed into a Royal. They told me that it had supposedly happed a couple times in the past, but instances that had the right amount of love and the right drones at the same time were so rare that none of them had ever been able to confirm, nor deny it. I personally think that it could be something along the lines of how ponies are rumored to be able to ascend into alicorns, but as that too has not been confirmed as of yet, I must put this down to a plausible legend for now. Hopefully someday we will know the truth, and be able to get along with this truly amazing species."

Scribe wasn’t sure what he had been expecting to find in this book, but it certainly wasn’t to find the answers he sought so clearly written in a single subchapter. He didn’t know who this Winding Wind fellow was but if the text was any indication he had visited one of the other hives that had let him live for some unknown reason. After all, changelings relied on lies and subterfuge to feed themselves, so it didn’t make very much sense to outright tell a pony so much about themselves, but he wasn’t going to deny it was helpful.

“Well I guess that means it wasn’t a legend after all.” Said a now surprisingly calm Scribe. Feather and Novel looked between each other for a moment before Novel decided to speak;

“So if you’ve become a Royal, does that mean you get you own hive now? Or are you and heir to yours like the book says?”

It was with a depressed sigh that Scribe replied “Probably neither. The swarm may think me to be an heir, but the queen will certainly see me as a threat to her rule and have me executed because of it.”

“Oh” was all that either of the ponies present could say to such a melancholic reply. “W-what are you planning on doing then?”

“Honestly? I have no idea. Could I just stay here for a little while until I can figure something out?” With a look towards his wife for confirmation, Novel nodded at the changeling whose face lit up with a fang-filled smile, further unnerving the ponies.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

After Scribe had gotten settled into a corner of the library that he had made into a near replica of his space in the hive, he had officially met the owners of the bookstore and their children.

“So mister, can you do your transforming thingy on me?” asked the hyperactive daughter known as Sunny Day, a unicorn whose cutie mark labeled her as one whom thoroughly enjoyed making everyone’s day happy and full of sunshine.

“Um I guess I could” With that, scribe focused his magic into his horn and concentrated on becoming the filly. In a flash of crimson flames there was an exact duplicate of Sunny staring back at her with nearly as much glee as the real deal.

“Ooh that’s so cool! Me next, me next!” said the more reserved, but no less excited Steel Shod, an earth pony colt destined to be a great blacksmith if his mark was any indication. With a sigh Scribe did just that, and just as quick as there had been a ditto of Sunny, there were now two Steel Shods staring at each other with excitement.

“Ok kids, enough of that. Give Mr. Scribe some space”

“But moooooom” they whined together.

“No, none of that. Go play so I can have a chat with him.” Receiving many angry looks from her children, Feather turned to the changeling who had just reverted to his regular form.

“So Scribe, is there anything you would like to eat? Besides the love, or is that the only thing you can eat?”

“Love is the only thing we need, and I’ve got that in spades, but we can eat pony food, though the only thing it does for us is go towards concrete production and taste but that’s about it.”

“So would you like to try-“ she was suddenly interrupted by hard knocking on their front door and a gruff voice demand:

“Open up, mandatory search.”

Looking at each other for a moment to confirm that the voice wasn’t imagined, they bolted into action. Scribe rushed down the basement stairs to hide himself among the thousands of books, while Novel and Feather quickly put away the monster book and any other evidence they could find before going to their front door.

Opening the oak portal, they came face to face with a pair of gold-armored Royal Guards carrying both spears and a pair of hoof cuffs each.

“Hello gentlecolts! Do come inside, it’s rather chilly outside.” Feather nervously offered.

“We need to search your home for any signs of remaining or returning changelings. Please step aside.” Came their reply, said in such a dry monotone that they had no doubt this was the umpteenth check they had done on their shift, and it was no longer retaining it’s sense of danger or excitement. The stallions looked tired past exhaustion, the bags under their eyes and the hollow look in their eyes betraying them.

“O-of course! Feel free to check anything you se fit.” After they had moved from their way, the guards stepped into the store/home, and split up to cover the entire store quicker. After searching throughout the store, only pausing to question the wed duo about the corner covered in changeling concrete, to which they excused is as something one of the foul beasts had left before their expulsion, the pair met up to go into the basement.

Turning on the light from the top of the stairs, they began their way down the steps, their tired nature making them stumble a half dozen times.

“See anything?” said the first to the second.

“Not yet. Do you believe them about the goop we found upstairs?”

“I’m not sure. They could be telling the truth, but none of the other houses had anything quite like that in them, at least not to that extent.”

“I agree. Should we let the princesses know we may have possible suspects?”

“I guess so. See anything down here yet?”

“Nope, just books, books and more books. Lets get out of here already.”

“You said it, bro.” With their conversation coming to an end, the pair made their way out of the basement, thanked Novel, Feather and their children for their time, and left, presumably to check more houses.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Shortly after the guards had left, Novel went down to get Scribe while Feather got to getting rid of the goo filling in the corner of the shop.

“Um Scribe? It’s alright to come out now!” as soon as he heard this, Scribe puled himself from a stack of books, scattering them across the floor. Picking them up in his magic to resort them, Novel ushered the disgruntled changeling up the stairs to help Feather clean up his mess. Meeting up with the rosy pony, he set to showing her how to remove the concrete, the only way he knew how.

“See, the only way to get it to return to it's liquid-y form is for a changeling to lick it, as our saliva contains whatever it is that’s needed to break it down.”

“Oh, well could you do that then? This doesn’t exactly make a very good addition to the store, no offense.”

“None taken.” With this, he began to lick at the formation of concrete, his saliva slowly making it enough of a liquid that he could simply drink it, and Feather could mop it up.

“Eww, why are you drinking that stuff?” asked a very grossed out Feather.

“What? It tastes good, try some!”

“Umm, no thanks, I’ll pass.” After this, the conversation turned to what changelings used the versatile material for.

“So do you use this for construction, or for some sort of decoration?”

“We use it for pretty much everything, from making tunnels stronger, to infusing it with love and eating it.”

“You can do that, the putting love in it?”

"Yeah, it absorbs ambient love as well, which is what makes it such a good material for cocoons.” Going pale, Feater asked;

“Cocoons? Those green things that ponies get put into?”

“Yeah! It puts them in a sort of stasis and absorbs their love over time! After it has absorbed it’s maximum, we put the pony into a new one and eat the one with love in it.”

“B-but that’s cruel!”

“How is that cruel?” asked a thoroughly confused Scribe, not comprehending how it could be bad to put a pony to sleep to feed his hive, when it was of no cost to the ponies themselves.

“How? How is it not cruel? You capture ponies from their families and friends and suck the love out of them!”

“You’re making it sound worse than it is. We usually keep them for around a month, with an Infiltrator posing as them the whole time. Nopony notices the difference, and when we put the pony back, we transfer the memories the imposter gained to them, so it’s as if they were actually there.”

“But they weren’t! Cant you see how that is taking away from somepony’s life, somepony who doesn’t deserve to be taken from those they love, and be fed on by monsters?” As soon as she said it, Feather knew she had gone too far.

“Monsters? MONSTERS? You think WE are the monsters? When ponies have hunted and killed us for thousands of years because we need to borrow them for a few weeks to survive?”

“Yes!”

With a growl Scribe turned and stomped off, into the other side of the store, leaving the pink mare alone to think about her actions. Meanwhile, Scribe was fuming inside his head, mumbling random obscenities to noling in particular, and trying to remain calm throughout his mental meltdown.

On the other side of the store, Novel had just returned from the basement, surprised to see his wife sitting by herself, looking enraged, yet sad all alone in the far end of the store. Trotting to his mare, he sat beside her and began to soothingly rub her back to hopefully coax an explanation from her.

“Honey, can you tell me what’s wrong?” She mumbled something, presumably to him, but he was unable to hear what she had said.

“What was that, dear?”

“They…they weren’t putting ponies in those pods to keep them from running, they were using them to suck the love out of them.”

“W-what?”

“The cocoons, dear. Those monsters use them to suck the love out of ponies while they replace them.” With the revelation finally understood, Novel’s face paled like his wife’s had, his thoughts turning to how he could keep his family and himself from suffering that fate.

“Does this mean we should tell somepony about him? Maybe go get the guards while he’s not paying attention?”

“Yes, we should. It isn’t right for us to endanger our lives and our children’s because we cant grow a backbone. Do you want to get the guards, or will I?”

“I’ll get them, Feather. Keep the kids safe while I’m gone, Ok?”

“I’ll do my best, honey.” After an affectionate nuzzle, the pair made their way to the door, intent on getting the assistance of the Royal Guard. However, the one thing they hadn’t considered was Scribe coming over to apologize, and instead hearing their plans for turning him in.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

I don’t believe it! They’re going to turn me in! Thought Scribe, unbelievably outraged at the ponies attempt at betraying him. As the couple made their way to the door, Novel planning to go to the guard and turn him in, only one train of thought thundered through his mind; OH NO YOU DON’T!

He quickly, but quietly made his way behind the pair and lit his horn, not betting on either one of them leaving the building. The concrete producing gland in his throat ready, he leapt from the shadows and grabbed both ponies in his magic, hoisting them both into the air within spitting distance.

Before either could scream for help, he shot two gooey strands of concrete at each of their muzzles, the sticky material splattering all over their faces to make a crude, but highly effective gag. Both mare and stallion now aware what was happening, they began to struggle in his grip and scream through the rapidly hardening concrete, a noble, but futile effort.

Once they had calmed somewhat, Scribe thought it best to apologize in advance for what he was going to do, the ponies eyes widening as he spoke: “I’m sorry about this, really I am, but I can’t let you tell the guards about me. Chrysalis knows they will torture me until I die, or am of no use and get left to rot in their dungeons. Just remember, you forced me to do this, so I take no joy in this."

After he had finished speaking, he began to cocoon the ponies, starting with Novel. After quickly sealing the stallion inside his pod, he left his concrete to dry while he turned to Feather and did the same with her. After both ponies were completely encased in his concrete, he left them to dry a few minutes before setting them down behind a bookshelf. Hopefully, nopony would be able to see the pods through the window while the shelf was there, so he did the next thing on his mental list: find and cocoon his wed captive’s foals.

After about five minutes, he found said filly and colt playing in their room, and to make sure he didn’t scare them during the procedure, he used a sleeping spell on the hyperactive duo, both being fast asleep within moments of the spells casting. Though it affected his mental integrity more than when he had cocooned their parents, he still completed his task, setting the recently cocooned foals beside their parents.

That was not a very fun thing to do. I hope I never have to do that to anypony else again. Wait…somepony else…isn’t there somepony else I’m forgetting about? SWEET CHRYSALIS’ FANGS, I’VE FORGOTTEN DERPY AND HER DAUGHTER! His past deed suddenly remembered due to recent events, he quickly assumed the form of a dull colored Pegasus and took flight through a window to where he last remembered the cutest ponies he had ever seen to be hidden.

Spotting the tarp on top of the building he had hidden them on, he angled his wings to put him into a nosedive headed straight for the building. After pulling up at the last second, he landed safely on top of the building and walked over to the tarp, praying to whatever deity that was listening that the pair were still sleeping soundly under the tarp, safe and sound in their pods.

Untying the rope, he poked his head underneath, and to his joy, the two grey-coated ponies were indeed still in their cocoons, exactly where he had left them. After a little squeal of glee, his thoughts turned to how he was going to bring the two pods back to the bookstore without a hundred guards chasing after him.

He thought back to the basic sleep spell he had used earlier on the foals, as before his transformation he would only have been able to do such a spell with both incredible concentration and a large portion of love, as weak was an ordinary changelings magic is. Maybe if I became better at magic because of this transformation, then I can just teleport there, like the queen can!

He pulled the cocoons from their hiding spots and tried to make himself as well as his passengers teleport back to the store, but only succeeded in tiring himself out. Damn! How is it the Queen does this again? Wait, she doesn’t teleport like unicorns, she makes those portal things! Stupid, stupid, stupid! He thought while smacking himself for not remembering earlier.

Instead of trying to instantaneously transport himself and his cocooned passengers through a rift in the multiverse like unicorns did, he instead tried focusing his magic on creating a flaming portal like the ones that the Queen had often been seen using. Within moments of his mental request, an orange flame rimmed portal appeared in front of himself.

I did it! I actually did it! A look inside the circle of flame revealed the inside of the bookstore, exactly where he had wanted to go. Well, here goes nothing! And with that he hopped through the portal, bringing his pony passengers with him, a strange sensation like being sucked through a straw passing through his body before he and the cocoons popped through, and into the bookstore.

The only thought on Scribe’s mind while he hid Derpy and Dinky along with the others was I am so awesome now! I wonder what else I can do with this new body…

_________________________________________________________________________________________

Canterlot Castle, the Throne Room

“Yes your highnesses, it was in the bookstore owned by Novel Tale and his wife Feather Duster. They have both stayed within their home since the invasion, though Feather is most likely due to report here for work in the morning if you do not give the staff the day off.”

“And you say they were acting strangely?” asked a deep in thought Princess Celestia. Looking between each other, the two guards who had inspected Novel’s home tried determining who would speak, before the first guard gave up with a sigh, and said,

“Yes your majesty. They seemed very nervous, almost to the point that they looked paranoid of our every move.”

Contemplating this new information, Celestia sat back on her throne for a few seconds before replying,

“Send out a squad to do a more thorough check of their home in the morning. Until they return, I shall retire to my bedchambers to contemplate this, unless you have any other news to share?”

“No your majesty” They both replied in unison.

“Very well then, you are dismissed.”

As she stepped off her throne and walked back towards the hallway leading to her room, she could be heard murmuring, “What in Equestria would a changeling want with a bookstore?”

Author's Note:

Next chapter should be out during the weekend.

Please let me know about any grammar or spelling mistakes.

Any questions, comments or suggestions for the future of the story are welcome.

Thanks to all those who have liked and favorited this story, as it really helps motivate me to write.

--Zach