• Published 22nd May 2014
  • 660 Views, 15 Comments

The Trotting Dead - Harmonic Scrible



In the wonderful land of Equestria, no pony is used to violence or death. However, when an epidemic strikes and the dead rise, that may all change.

  • ...
2
 15
 660

Wake Up Call

Author's Note:

Here is Chapter Two! :3
I'd like to personally thank everyone who has read the first chapter, and especially the three people who left some comments for me (Johndye, newname, and Cavendish) I'm already writing the third chapter, and a decent amount through it.
I'll try to improve on my grammar and spelling errors the more I write this, but this is as good as it gets for now. :#
Like I said before I don't own anything but the original characters that I through into the story.
Thank you for reading my babbledy gook, and now on to the next chapter! :D

Wake Up Call

*Beep...*

That sound...

*Beep...*

He knew that sound,

*Beep...*

There must be a vitals monitor nearby. But he couldn't locate it, his ears perked with every tone, but the sound was distant and the room around him dark. No wait, not the room, but his eyes were closed. With great effort, he attempted to open his eyes and view his surroundings.

At first his vision was blurred and distorted. Slowly it returned to normal, shapes began taking form as a hospital room intended for patients revealed it self to him. His hearing began focusing and he could now find the vitals monitor beside him to his right, chiming a tune that must be coming from his heart. He raised his foreleg over to the machine and pressed the button that turned it off.

Looking to his left he discovered a vase on a table, containing withered flowers and decorative plants. This struck him as odd, but he pushed it to the back of his mind. Behind the flowers was a window. Light was coming in through the window, indicating that it was still some time during the day. He looked down at his hind legs, still underneath the hospital blanket. Removing it he began checking himself for injuries. Every few minutes his vision would blur for just a second and refocus. He finally got up to his head, he felt a sore spot right on the very top. He probably had a concussion. In a hoarse voice, he called out for help,

“Nurse... nurse Cri-”

Breaking out in a coughing fit he stopped talking for a minute. Breathing rather heavily, he tried grabbing onto a portable IV rack to support himself while getting up. The rack slipped away from him and he tumbled out of bed face first into the ground. He lay there dazed for a few seconds before getting back up onto all fours. When he was steady and standing he pulled the IV rack back towards him and began leaning on it for support. He hobbled towards the door leading to the hallway. Opening it inwards he found a flat bed they used for transporting patients from room to room in front of his door.

He pushed it out of the way with his free hoof, the effort costing him a cough as he lowed it back down to the ground. The hall was barren except for empty wheel chairs and flat beds. A few papers lay on the ground as well. It looked like the entire place had been abandoned at the drop of a hat.

“Hello? Nurse Blueheart? Nurse Grey? Doctor Swabb? … Anypony out here?”

Only silence answered his pleas.

Hobbling over to the nearest nurse station, Soaked started looking for clues as to what happened to his co-workers. Looking up at a shift board, he guessed he'd been unconscious for about a week and a bit. No more than ten days he had guessed. But that still begs the questions, why had nopony come to check on him before they left, or taken him with them, and why did they leave? His stomach growled eagerly telling him to find food, his mouth also felt rather dry. Checking some of the drawers of the station he managed to find an apple and two candy bars. He didn't find water, however he'd be able to get some when he got to the nurses change room.

Soaked managed to find his way back to the stairwell his last memory took place in, a sharp spike of pain struck him as he recalled the stallion running up the stairs. Getting pushed down the stairs, he had gotten a look at the flank of the stallion that was running up towards him. He was missing a peculiar shaped piece of flank as Soaked recalled. He also recalled that it was bleeding rather profusely as it left a sanguine trail upwards.

The pain passed and Soaked shook his head lightly to clear it. He began trotting down the stairwell to get to the change room, being wary of the loose papers and occasional wheel chair. With luck his stuff was still in his locker and he could get out of the hospital.

The change room was a mess, nearly all the lockers were torn open and their contents littered the floor and benches. Luckily his locker remained unharmed. Opening it he retrieved his saddle bags and his bottle he used for water. Greedily he drank down half of the bottle of water before resealing it and placing it in his bags. In addition he ate one of the candy bars, placing the other and the apple into the bags. A noise from outside the room caught his attention and distracted him from finishing the candy bar he had started eating. Some kind of shuffling was coming from down the hall.

Leaving the change room with candy bar in mouth he began trotting at a speed that he couldn't manage before he had a drink. He listened for the sound following the shuffling, turning this way and that. That is until a sour and foul odor hit him in a heavy wave. It almost smelled like rotting compost, just ten times worse. Scrunching up his nose and covering it with a hoof then dropping it and continuing slightly slower towards the shuffling.

The sound and smell led him to the emergency waiting room, and chunks of something strewn around the room. The other doors leading out to another hall were completely boarded up. There were words on either door,

DO NOT OPEN!

on the left side, and,

They're inside!

written on the right. Both appeared to be written in dried blood. The thought of the act of writing messages with ones blood was horrendous. However the thing that really set a reaction off in Soaked, was they bloody chunks gathered in the room. He vomited, and vomited again until his stomach was emptied.

He turned around, nauseated and dumbstruck. He stumbled away from the bloody mess to catch some breath and clear his gagging off the smell. For a time he couldn't move, but was brought back to reality when there was banging on the door behind him. Glancing in the direction of the door he could see it being pushed from the other side. It made the banging because of a metal pipe that had been bent around the door handles. He presumed it was to keep whatever was in the room, where it was. He turned back around headed for another entrance, somewhere that wasn't here.

He managed to exit through a side door at a stairwell. The outside air was fresher than the stale air inside the hospital, but that sour odor lingered outside as well. The hospital was surrounded by a stone wall about six hoofspans up. Only two major entrances led to the hospital, the sky and the front gate. Soaked was in a closed off area where employees would dispose of certain waste products. Walking around a dumpster and getting his bearings, he discovered which direction he had to go to get home. However as he began walking around the hospital, the stench of rot got worse. Soaked rounded the corner and stopped dead in his tracks.

Bodies of ponies wrapped in sheets littered the entrance. There must have been hundreds. Nearly a quarter the population of the entire town was strewn about the front walkways and grass lawns. Soaked gagged as he caught the sight, but nothing else could come back up. Slowly he trotted past a few of the bodies, a bloody hole was found in the skull of each individual that was laying on the ground. He increased his pace, just trying to get away form the area. How could so many ponies be executed like this? He knew that some town guard and police officers carried guns around with them for the protection of citizens. But he'd never seen the likes of this.

Finally getting to the gate, which looked as though it were ripped apart by magic, Soaked began heading towards his home. It wasn't long before he could see cadavers laying torn open; rib cages showing, entrails thrown around, severed limbs. Soaked averted his eyes from many of the desecrated corpses, looking for anything else or anypony else. Somepony else did catch his attention. A familiar red coated mare was off on a side walk, not to far from him. She was still wearing her medical scrubs and her mane was a mess. She appeared to be hunched over somepony,

“Crimson Rain... Is she mourning someponies death?” he thought to himself.

Trotting slowly up to her he cleared his throat and spoke aloud,

“ Hey... Crimson? Ms. Rain?It's me Soaked Bandages.”

One of her ears twitched and turned to greet the sound, her face was still buried close to the pony laying on the ground. He continued speaking to her,

“The hospital was abandoned and they left me there.”

Her head slowly began rising,

“Are you oka- …”

His words fell out of his mouth, rendering him speechless. Crimson had begun turning her head towards him. She looked... unnatural, to say the least. All of the flesh that normally surrounded her beautiful muzzle was now torn away and many chunks of flesh were missing from her forelegs and chest. Her eyes were a bleached white colour, Similar to that of somepony who may be blind. However her eyes dragged themselves up towards Soaked's face, staring directly into his eyes. Her teeth were filled with tiny bits of flesh and sinew hanging from her jaw. She had been EATING that dead pony! Opening her mouth and groaning she got onto all fours and began moving slowly towards Soaked.

Soaked took a step back,

“Wha- what were you doing Crimson?”

He queried, unfortunately all ready knowing the answer. She took a step towards him, opening and closing her jaw in mock chewing motion.

“ C-Crimson, s-s-stop this at once...”

Soaked took a step back, while Crimson kept up her advance.

“Okay.. seriously Rain, c-cut the act already!”

He took another step back only to bump into something squishy. Soaked let out a yelp of surprise and glanced back to see the upper half of a young filly staring up at him. Most of the flesh where the torso used to be was ragged and decayed. The young filly's mouth and eyes looked similar to Crimson's facial features. But the filly's entrails and spinal cord dragged out behind her. A sick mixture of shock and awe flew through Soaked's mind for a brief second. Just long enough for the filly and Crimson to both try and grab him. The filly was about to chomp down on his leg, but he instinctively raised it to avoid the bite. Then Crimson Rain fell on top of him, knocking him over and nearly landing on the filly. She was attempting to bite Soaked while straddled over top of him.

Panicking, Soaked brought up his rear legs and placed them between himself and Crimson. He pushed as hard as he could, availing to little more than throwing for a hoofspan away from him. He dashed to his hooves standing up and backing away as quickly as he could. The little filly was now crawling towards him as Crimson began standing up. He looked around and noticed other mutilated ponies trotting their way towards him. He needed to go, now. Jumping over the filly he galloped as fast as he could, narrowly avoiding being grabbed and dragged down by Crimson. He ran away from the two girls that had just tried to... eat him, and he ran for his home. He ran for his mother and sister, Linen Bandage and Vanille Bandage.

Traveling across town had been harder than he expected it to be. He ran a fair distance but quickly ran out of energy. Hadn't he expelled everything from his stomach he might have a little more energy to spare.

Dodging and weaving through the... cannibals, Soaked made it back to his home mostly unscathed. He acquired a few new scratches from tripping once or twice when he lost his balance. He crouched at the set of steps, removing his saddle bags and pulling out his house key. Replacing the bags on his haunches, he walked up to his door preparing to unlock it. However when he was fitting the key in the lock, the door was pushed inwards a few inches. Soaked stopped immediately and froze in shock. His front door was open, this was bad.

He put his key back in his bags and slowly crept inside, looking in all directions of his house.
To his right was the staircase leading upstairs, to his left the den, and straight ahead of him the kitchen. He saw no immediate danger, however the front hall was trashed. The carpet was torn the wardrobes and shelves collapsed and in ruin, and spring weather wear, such as rain coats and boots, littered the hall. In addition there was a trail of blood from the kitchen to the top of the stairs. A faint odor lingered in the hall.

Soaked whispered to the house, “Mom? Vanille? Are either of you here?” the sound was barely loud enough to be heard a few hoofspans away. He closed the door behind him and stood forlorn for a couple of seconds.

*CRASH* a loud sound comes from the kitchen, catching Soaked's attention. He rushed towards the sound, in desperate hope of it being his family, alive and well. He enters the kitchen seeing nopony at first, but closing in on the island in the center of the kitchen he spots the limp leg of something sticking out. He slows his pace, and trots closer to get a better look.

The leg is attached to a brown pony laying on his back, the leg it self is twisted at an impossible angle. A piece of bone is protruding from the upper part of the leg, a red splash of chunky rotted flesh surrounds it. The trail appears to lead to the pony. From where soaked could see, the pony appeared motionless. Also in the kitchen a piece of paper rested on the far counter on the other side of the pony.

Soaked trotted closer to the note. Getting within a hoofspan of the note, a groan came from the stallion as he began the motion to get up. Soaked's face snapped towards the pony, his face was nearly entirely rotted away and filled with a cannibalistic hunger. Soaked jumped away from the pony, and ran towards the front hall. The pony, while still severely injured the pony managed to drag itself towards Soaked at a fair speed.

Soaked began climbing the stairs, tripping on one of the first steps. The pony had caught up and attempted to grab Soaked with its one good front hoof. Soaked kicked wildly at the pony, knocking away the hoof. A audible snap could be heard upon the contact, Soaked didn't look back and kept running up the stairs running by three of the rooms and into the final door. Slamming the door behind him he exhaled a held breath and sat against the door.

About a minute had passed and the moaning could be heard outside the door. The pony began banging on the door, but Soaked noticed that the pony never actually tried opening the door normally. He glanced around for something to protect himself. His foalhood baseball bat lay in a corner opposite to his door.

There!” he thought to himself, “I need to get to my bat.

Hesitating until a break in the banging on the door, he then dashed to the bat picking it up in his mouth and quickly turn around to face the door. The banging continued, but the pony didn't try opening the door. Soaked took note of this and lowered his guard too take a better look around his room. Everything was where it should be, except where a portrait of him and his sister were hugging his mother. That appeared to be the only piece missing from his room. He gathered up some warm clothing and threw it into another pouch that could be attached to his set of saddle bags. In addition, he grabbed a few of his favorite books; Super Naturals, The tale of the two Sisters, and The Core of Riddles.

Gathering everything he might need to find his family, he returned to his room door. Tightening his grip on his baseball bat, soaked grimaced at the fact that he might have to use it against other ponies. But he had seen what had been happening outside, what someponies had been doing to others. He'd seen ponies limbs torn clean off their bodies, bones sticking out terrifyingly while intestines and other forms of entrails littered the ground around them. He'd seen all of this on the way to get home, on the way to find his family.

The grimace still on his face, he knelt down closing his eyes tightly. He shook at the thought of defending himself while hurting others. This wasn't how ponies were supposed to act. Ponies were supposed to be kind to one another, not killing and eating them. A tear rolled down his face. He had to do something about that pony outside, it could have hurt his family.

Soaked took a deep breath, tightened his grip on his bat, and rested his hoof on his door handle. He opened the door, the pony fell inwards landing splayed out on the ground. Soaked closed his eyes and raised the bat... and lowered it gently. The pony started picking itself back up, Soaked exited the room and closed the door behind him. The banging resumed on the other side of the door, this time the pony trying to get out.

Soaked walked down the staircase, and back towards the kitchen. The note still lay peacefully on the counter. Soaked sauntered over to the note, picking it up and reading the first few lines

“Dear Soaked,
My Sweet younger brother, I really do hope you get better soon. You've been in the hospital for nearly 3 weeks now in a coma.”

“3 weeks? Has it really been that long?” he thought,

“The only thing the hospital would tell us about the accident was that you accidentally fell down some stairs. At least one of us has shown up everyday but we just can't take anymore time off of work. We'll come see you as soon as we can, and when you've recovered enough we'll be able to bring you home. Mother is a little out of shape over you, but I told her, “Mommy, Soaked is a big and strong pony and he'll get out of that hospital sooner than you can say Red Delicious Apple Pie!” She cracked a smile, and laughed a little. You'll be okay soon little bro. I love you and I-”

The letter ended abruptly, a trickle of red was in spots on the lower half. Soaked couldn't help but stare, mouth agape, at the letter. His hooves were shaking as he re-read it twice over. He dropped the note and fell to his hind legs in shock. Soaked picked walked slowly to the den of the house and sat down on one of his sofas, he began crying.

He sat for a long time, long enough for his tears to dry up. He looked to the kitchen, the note still lay on the ground where he left it. He trotted slowly over and picked it up. Soaked re-read it again, he shed a single tear and hugged the note tightly. He then placed it in his saddle bags.

Soaked's family had to still be alive, he just needed a clue as to where they were. And for that his best bet was to head to the police station. Ponies would go to there if something went wrong, and things have definitely gone wrong.

Soaked headed towards his front door, nopony but that... monster was here. He reached out to open the door and hesitated, he thought about the note in his bag. He couldn't just leave yet. What if they came back to the house looking for him? Soaked turned on his heels and trotted back to the kitchen. He found a pad of paper and a quill and ink set, and began writing a note for his family telling them he was going to the police station in town to look for them.

Satisfied with the note, Soaked took a preparation knife from a drawer and used it to pin his note up on one of the cupboards. He smiled for a second then turned and went back to his front door.

Soaked took a deep breath and opened the door, The 3 o'clock sun greeted him. But the stares of a few ponies also gave him some acknowledgment as well. But he needed to find his family, and those mad ponies weren't going to stop him to day. One managed to get within a hoofspan of Soaked, he pushed it to the ground as hard as he could. The pony struggled to get back up while Soaked made a dash in the direction of the police station.

He was going to find his family, and he felt like nothing could stop him.