• Published 29th May 2014
  • 856 Views, 33 Comments

Limitless Skies - Priceless911



An earth pony sets his sights on achieving the impossible feat of Flight. But when he crosses paths with a perminatloy grounded Bat Pony his peacful life of try and fail turnes into an unbeleavable journy filled with danger, secrecy and discovery.

  • ...
2
 33
 856

Ch2 The Life Debt

As the sun hung over head, a mare wearing a navy blue cloak made her way through the town without making eye contact with anypony. As she continued trotting, it wasn’t long before she came to the doorstep of a local pub. Making sure her cloak was covering her face, the mare sighed as she opened the door and went inside. As the door closed behind her, the mare with her face tilted downward, looked around the pub at the ponies who were inside. After getting a suitable look at the crowd, she trotted to the bar and sat down as the bartender spoke, “Ain’t seen you around these parts before.”
The mare replied as she adjusted her cloak making sure her face was hidden, “Makes sense, seeing that I’ve never been around these parts before.”
After hearing her voice, the bartender smiled, “A mare? I thought your phasic seemed feminine. So what will it be?”

The mare replied as she lowered her voice just slightly, “I'll have… a moondrop.”
The bartender was a little shocked, “Moondrop? Are you sure? That stuff will kill you if you ain’t carful. Everypony knows that the moondrop is made from a poisonous plant.”
The mare gave the bartender an annoyed look as she replied, “Did I ask for the drink’s origin? Or did I ask for the drink? Either you serve it… or you don’t. If you do, then give me it. If you don’t, then I'll take my business el…”
the bartender interrupted, “Alright, alright, I meant no offence. One moondrop coming up.”
As the bartender started to turn to the shelf of drinks, he stopped for a brief moment then looked at the mare closely, “Hey… can you look at me for a sec?”
The mare sighed in disbelief as she looked at the stallion so that he could see her eyes. As the bartender recognized the nocturnal irises, he smiled, “I thought so… we don’t get too many of your kind during the day.”
The mare gave the bartender a stern look as she replied, “Is that a problem?...”

The bartender turned to the shelf and started making the drink as he replied, “Not at all… it just seemed odd. Your species are usually the only ponies who take the risk of drinking the moondrop, is all.”
The mare nodded her head, “The moon weed grows in our caverns… it’s just something we are used too.”
As the bartender continued making the drink, a group of stallions was sitting in the corner of the room as one of them was watching the mare from a distance. As he watched, another stallion looked over at her and turned back, “What… do you know her or something?”
The stallion replied, “No… but I can tell by the way she trots… I'd like to.”
The other stallion replied, “Really? I didn’t think you were into the shady type.”
The first stallion spoke again, “No, no, she isn’t shady at all. She just has something to hide. I don’t know about you, but I like a little mystery with my mares. I think we should go over and introduce ourselves.”
The three ponies then stood up from their table and surrounded the mare who was still waiting on her drink.

As the group approached the mare the pony watching her spoke first, “Hello miss… I was wondering if y-”
without letting him finish the mare spoke, “Not interested.”
With the insultingly fast comment made, the other two stallions started laughing as one spoke, “OH! Shot down before takeoff!”
The insulted stallion tried to hold in his temper as he tried a second time, “I’m sorry if I seemed to come off a little strong but I-”
Once again without looking at the stallion the mare interrupted, “Not at all… in fact you came off extremely weak if you ask me. However, since I told you plainly that I’m not interested… then perhaps you can, oh I don’t know… Buzz off!”
The two stallions laughed a second time at their friend as he lost his temper, “Well this little filly seems to have a bit of a temper problem doesn’t she?”

The mare smiled under cloak as she continued staring over the bar, “On the contrary, it would seem that you’re the one with a temper problem. And maybe a hearing problem as well. I’m speaking plain Equestrian, and yet you’re still here… or maybe you’re just too stupid to understand what buzz off means.”
The other two stallions were now worried for the mare as the first stallion put his hoof on her shoulder to turn her towards him, “LISTEN HERE MI-”
Before he could finish his sentence, the mare reached up and grabbed the back of the stallion’s head as she bashed his face against the bar and released him to fall to the ground unconscious. With that hostile action, the other two ponies readied themselves for a fight as one yelled, “Hey! Do you know who you’re dealing wi-”
“A bunch of weak minded males… that’s who. Weak minded and just plain weak.”
As the bartender sat her drink on the bar, he spoke up, “Hey! If you’re going to start stuff then I’m going to charge you for anything you break.”

The mare smiled at the bartender as she replied, “Alright sir… how much does the mug this drink came in cost?”
The bartender gave her a confused look as he replied, “Um… about twenty bits?”
The mare nodded her head, “That sounds reasonable enough.”
One of the remaining ponies asked, “And what would you need to know that for?”
Without looking back at the stallion, she replied in an obnoxious way, “If you back away now… then you won’t have to worry about it.”
The stallion took offence to the way she spoke as he replied, “Back away? I BACK AWAY FROM NOPO-”
While yelling his words, the pony behind her tried to punch her as she ducked down, dodging the attack and grabbing his hoof as she threw him over her shoulder slamming his face on the mug as it shattered sending the Moondrop to fill his eye as he rolled off the bar screaming with the drink burning his eye. When the mare raised her head back up the cloak’s hood fell off her head as the remaining pony looked at her with shock, “A… A bat pony?”

Before the stallion could say or do anything else, the mare swung around with one of her hind hooves out tripping the stallion, then she opened up her horribly scarred wing as she put it over his airborne body and use all of her strength to slam him against the ground. After hitting the floor, the stallion looked up at the mare in a daze as he spoke, “Y-you… you’re…
With that said, the stallion passed out as the bartender stared in awe at the mare’s scarred eye and wing, “So… it’s true.”
The mare looked at the bartender with no concern as he continued, “I’ve heard stories about you. A royal guard who faced five manticores with nothing more than a hoof full of troops. And when the dust settled, you were the only one who came out alive. I thought it was just an old ponytale but you’re here. You’re Silvia, otherwise known as Silver Stream.”
With no concern in the subject, the mare reached into her cloak and pulled out a bag of bits as she tossed it onto the bar, “Here… for the drink and the mug. And if it isn’t enough…”
Silvia trotted to the one stallion who was still conscious as he held his eye whimpering on the floor. Then she kicked him and continued, “Put the rest on this moron’s tab.”

As the mare turned to the door, she put the hood on her cloak up as the bartender asked, “Wait! Is… is the story true?”
The mare didn’t reply, instead she could only sigh with a tear rolling down her face as she continued towards the door and left the pub without a single word said. When she was outside the pub, Silvia wiped the tear from her face and started trotting down the road as she mumbled to herself, “I can’t escape my failure…”
Not long after that as she started to leave town she heard a voice yell at her “SILVER STREAM!!!”
With her hood covering her head, the mare turned back to see the three stallions from the pub. She could only smile at the three since one had a broken muzzle, the next had a bloodshot eye, and the last had a swollen cheek. Seeing the mare insult them with her smile, the stallion with a bloodshot eye yelled at her, “We’ve got unsettled business with you!”
Silvia sighed as she replied, “don’t waste my time… I’ve got better things to do then to deal with you morons.”

As she turned around the stallion with the swollen cheek yelled, “From what I hear! You’re not the fighter you used to be… in fact those manticores took more from you then just your wing!”
The stallion with the broken muzzle spoke next, “Yea… they took your wing, your courage, and your ability to fly!”
Trying to ignore the group, Silvia continued trotting away without reacting to their words as the stallion with the bloodshot eye continued, “And you forgot one simple fact that everypony knows about bat ponies!”
Out of curiosity Silvia stopped and turned to the three ponies as he finished his sentence, “Bat ponies have a hard time seeing during the day… so… they can’t fight!”
Knowing fully that the stallion was right, Silvia didn’t waste any time as she took off down the road as fast as she could sprint. The stallions could only smile at their advantage as all three of them started chasing after her.

Silvia ran as fast as she could but since she noticed that the three stallions were catching up, she decided to turn off the trail and into an open field as she continued. As Silvia ran, she mumbled to herself, “darn it… what do I do?... Think Silver; think… what would he try?”
As the mare was nearing a hill, she looked back to see that the three stallions were gaining on her. She knew it was no use, she couldn’t fly, and there was no way she could outrun three earth ponies. Not to mention fight them when she already had a hard time seeing in the daylight. As she looked back, she was caught off guard when she found out that the hill she was running down ended with a complete drop on the other side. Silvia looked over the edge at the ground that was hundreds of feet below as she mumbled to herself, “Crap…”
As she turned back to the hill she saw all three of her pursuers reach the top of the hill as the pony with the bloodshot eye spoke, “trapped like a rat are we?”
The one with a broken muzzle added, “More like a wounded bat.”
The last stallion spoke as the three started to approach her, “Funny, I thought you were feared by many… but it turns out you’re only scary at night… just like all bats. So what should we do with her?”
The first pony smiled, “How about… we pour Moondrop in both her eyes…, then she won’t be able to see during the day… or night.”

As the group laughed at her situation, Silvia looked at her attackers as she mumbled to herself, “they’re right… I can’t even tell exactly how far they are from me… I need to find a way out of this… and fa-“
Before she could finish her sentence, one of her hind hooves slipped off the edge of the cliff as she started to slide off the ledge. Frantically trying to save herself, Silvia started scratching at the ground to stop herself from sliding off the edge, but to no avail. The worried bat pony slide off the cliff and began falling as the three stallions stood in shock at what they just witnessed. Out of reflex, Silvia tried to open her wings, but with one wing mangled from the past, there was no way she could fly, so her fall continued with absolutely no change in her speed. Down at the bottom if the cliff, Allen Key was throwing the last of his destroyed aircraft onto a wagon as he tossed a tarp over it and secured it, “Finally… it took all morning but I think I got all of it… I hope I didn’t forget anything on my blueprints… I wouldn’t want to rebuild it with a fault.”
With that said the stallion connected the wagon to himself as he started trotting, however, he didn’t take three steps before Silvia came out of nowhere and landed in the wagon as the axle carrying the load shattered beneath the force of her impact. Startled by the unexpected surprise, Allen Key unhooked himself as he rushed to the wagon only to see her lying in it with her cloak draped over her body.

With confusion, Allen Key looked up at the three stallion who were looking down at them. When the three stallion saw them the one with a broken muzzle spoke, “Great… she’s dead… and sure enough that witness will say that we pushed her.”
The one with a bloodshot eye replied, “Let’s get out of here before the Royal Guards show up.”
The three stallion turned and fled from the scene as Allen called, “Hey! What are you doing up there!?!”
When there was no reply, Allen key trotted to the cloaked mare and uncovered her face, “A mare?”
Then he uncovered her body as he saw the scarred wing, “a bat pony… is… is she?”
Out of worry, Allen key placed his hoof against her neck and checked for a pulse. As soon as he felt her heart beat, he sighed in relief, “wow… to survive a fall like that, you must pretty lucky, but your wing... you can’t possibly fly in that shape. I better get you to the shop.”
Knowing that his wagon was now useless, Allen key put the unconscious mare on his back as he started trotting back to his shop.

As soon as he entered the shop, his boss Paladin looked over at him in shock, “Allen! What the!?! Who is that!?! What happened!?!”
Allen trotted to the nearest table as he laid her down and replied, “Now if I tell you, you gotta promise you won’t blame it on me.”
Paladin was confused, “um… okay… so what happened?”
Allen sighed, “She fell from a cliff.”
“WHAT!?! WHAT DID YOU DO!?!”
“Nothing! Some stallions either threw her off or pushed her. One or the other. All I know is that it was a good thing I was there… otherwise; we’d be scraping her off the bottom of the ravine.”
Paladin sighed as he replied, “I guess so… so what do you want to do with her?”
Allen Key replied, “Well first we need to get her some medical attention. It would probably best if she stays here though. I don’t know if she broke anything yet… but I don’t want to risk it.”
Paladin nodded his head, “well alright, you stay here and I'll go get the first aid kit from the cellar that’s all we can do for now.”

As soon as paladin left the room, Allen key removed Silvia’s cloak so he could check to see if she had any open wounds. As he folded the cloak and sat it to the side, he heard Silvia mumble some words, “R-run… S-Serene… run…”
Allen Key looked at the mare as a tear began rolling out of her closed eye and down her face. He could see that she was in pain, but he didn’t know if it was a result of her dream or something else. He approached her and looked over her limbs for broken bones or open bleeding wounds. As he did, Derpy entered the shop with her usual smile, “Hi Allen! What ar…”
When Derpy saw the sleeping mare on the table, she stopped as she looked at her in curiosity, “who… who is she?”
Allen shrugged his shoulders as he replied, “hey Derpy, to be honest… that’s what I would like to know. She fell from the cliff over where we were yesterday. She was lucky I was at the bottom with my wagon.”

Derpy approached her and looked closely at her face, “It looks like she cut her eye.”
Allen shook his head, “Yea… but not lately. That’s an old scar. She must have gotten that years ago. Here help me turn her over, I want to take a look at her other side.”
Derpy nodded her head as she helped Allen roll her onto her other side, but as soon as Derpy saw the three long scars on her right side, she let go and stepped back in shock, “Oh… wh… what happened to her?”
Allen started looking over Silvia’s right side for fresh wounds as he replied, “I don’t know… from the looks of it, she was attacked by something with three front claws. And whatever it was also severed that part of her wing.”
When Allen mentioned it, Derpy took a good look at where the bat pony’s wing rested along her body and could see that the part of her wing that rested over the three claw marks was completely gone.

When she saw this she had to ask, “But… how can she fly with half of her wing missing?”
Allen sighed, “She can’t…”
With disappointment in his answer, Derpy looked at the ground in sadness, “Oh… so… she’s like you then… isn’t she?”
Trying not to think about it, Allen answered, “yea…”
as soon as he finished overlooking her body, Allen backed up and smiled, “Well it’s safe to say that she’ll be fine. I don’t know much about medicine, but I can tell that there are no broken bones so that’s good.”
Derpy smiled in a joking manner, “Good job Doctor Allen!”
Allen could only smile at his friend’s comment as he took a closer look at Silvia’s scars under her wing. As he looked, he started to mumble as he reached out to feel them, “I wonder what atta…”

As the stallions hoof touched the scar on her side, Silvia quickly opened her eyes and reacted to his actions. In the blink of an eye, Silvia used her other wing to vault herself from the table as she picked up the stallion and pinned him against the wall by his throat before he could even realize she was conscious. With a death casing glare, Silvia spoke to the choking stallion, “Where am I?... who are you?... how did I get here?”
Allen tried to reply, but with his air passage being crushed by the strong mare’s hooves, he couldn’t. Seeing that he was in trouble, Derpy yelled as she rushed to their side and tried to pull her hooves off Allen’s throat, “LET HIM GO!”
With Derpy’s actions too weak to have any effect, Silvia ignored the command as she continued glaring at the stallion until she saw something pinned to the wall behind him that caught her eye. It was a diagram of how a bat’s wing worked. Seeing the familiar diagram made Silvia drop Allen as she pulled it from the wall and studied it, “this… this is… who drew this?”
As Derpy pulled Allen away from Silvia, he replied as he started catching his breath, “I… I did…”
Silvia looked at Allen key as she started to realize what she did. Then she dropped the diagram on the ground as she replied in embarrassment, “My apologies… I’m afraid that in my moment of confusion, I may have gone a little overboard.”
Derpy replied in irritation, “Ya think?”

Silvia felt a little offended ,but Allen key put his hoof up to stop the two as he spoke, “now now Derpy… no harm done. I'd be a little hysterical too if my last memories were of me falling from a cliff.”
Silvia then remembered what he was talking about so she immediately asked, “wait! What happened to me? I was falling… but then…”
Allen key nodded his head, “yea… well you landed on my wagon while I was down there. After that I brought you back here to treat your wounds but luckily you didn’t have any.”
Silvia thought to herself then asked, “So… you saved me?”
Derpy stepped forward still irritated about earlier as she replied, “Yea… so you better be nice.”
Allen key gave Derpy a disappointed look, “Derpy… that’s enough…”
As Derpy gave him an apologetic look, Silvia sighed in disappointment, “Crap… well it looks like I have no choice then.”
Allen key looked at Silvia as he replied to her comment, “What?”

Silvia approached Allen and helped him off the ground, then she took a few steps back as she bowed in respect and spoke, “In return for saving my life, by the honor of my clan… I must thank you again and offer my services to you. I am now your bodyguard until I return the favor or assist you in completing a great task.”
Allen key felt confused, “Services?... Bodyguard?... that’s great and all, but I don’t need one. See, I don’t do anything that requires a need for a bodyguard.”
Silvia nodded her head, “well… then I'll just have to help you complete an important task.”
Allen tried to convince her, “actually I don’t need help with that either. I don’t have any real tasks to comp…”
Before he could finish his sentence, Derpy nudged him, “why don’t you ask her to help with your goal.”
Allen whispered back, “Derpy I really don’t need any help wi-”
Silvia stepped forward, “As a noble bat Pony, I must adhere to the rules of our clan, which clearly state; if one pony were to save the life of another, then a debt is created between the two that demands that will either save that life in return, or complete a life goal to which the rescuer wishes. In other words, my honor demands that you use me to help you complete that goal.”

Allen started to think to himself as Derpy continued, “Come on Allen… you know you need the help, besides, if she can’t help then maybe she knows somepony who can.”
Allen looked at Silvia and could tell by her expression that she really didn’t want to do it, but since she was duty-bound, he asked, “So… you say that you will help with any goal?”
Silvia nodded her head, “yea… as long as it isn’t something personal like marriage or something. No offence, but you’re not necessarily my type.”
Derpy asked, “You mean bat pony?”
Silvia shook her head, “no, no, I mea… yea… let’s go with that. So what will it be?”
Allen thought it over one last time then sighed, “Well… all right. I guess it won’t hurt.”
Derpy smiled as she jumped for joy, “Yay!”

Silvia nodded her head and asked with an unconcerned look on her face, “Alright… what is this goal of yours?”
Allen Key hesitated for a second as he replied; “Well you know that picture you saw?”
Silvia nodded her head, “Yea?”
Allen continued, “It’s actually a diagram that shows how a bat’s wing gives it lift.”
“Yea… so?...”
Allen continued, “Well, I drew that to try to better understand how a wing that has no feathers can still fly.”
Silvia started to lose her patience, “That’s fine and all… but is there a point to this?”
Allen nodded his head, “Yea… well… the reason for that is… well… I want to see how a bat flies… so… I can too.”
Silvia though she heard wrong, “Wait, wait, wait… you mean to tell me, that you wanted to see how a bat flies so you can find out how to fly yourself?... You mean, you want to fly?”
Allen didn’t reply, instead he just nodded his head in an embarrassed way as Silvia started to giggle, “You mean to tell me… that you, an earth pony with no wings, wants to learn how to fly?”
Allen nodded his head, “Yea…”

Suddenly Silvia’s giggles turned to chuckles, then full-fledged laughter as both Derpy and Allen’s expressions became dulled and annoyed. Almost expecting this kind of reaction, two ponies sighed, looked at each other, and then looked back at the laughing pony with an unamused stare. Looking at their expressions Silvia dulled down her laughing as she spoke, still giggling in her words, “Wait… you’re serious?”
Allen replied, “Yea… I’m serious.”
Silvia stopped laughing as she replied, “you mean you actually want to fly?”
Derpy sighed, “And I thought I was slow…”
Silvia spoke in an obvious tone, “you do know you’re an earth pony… right? I mean, I though all earth ponies were afraid of heights.”
Allen replied, “first off… that’s a myth. Second… I never even heard that before. The fact of the matter is that my goal is to one day fly like yo… um… Derpy.”

Silvia knew what Allen was about to say but she ignored it as she replied, “So… that’s your goal hm?”
Allen replied, “Yea… I know it’s a little… well… strange. But maybe you can help. I tried making wings that resembled Derpy’s but I can’t create feathers… and I’m not entirely sure how to make bat wings”
Silvia nodded her head as she looked back at the diagram and opened her scarred wing, “well… for the most part you’re right on the science… I think… but I can help you with that. As you can see my wing no longer works like it should.”
Allen looked disappointed as he replied, “oh… I see.”
Seeing his disappointment, Silvia though to herself and came up with a solution, “wait… Twilight Sparkle.”
Allen and Derpy both felt confused as he replied, “Twilight who?”
“Twilight Sparkle… she is a unicorn that lives in Canterlot and is a student to Princess Celestia. She may know something that can help, seeing that her muzzle is always dug into a book.”
Allen replied, “So… this Twilight Sprinkle can help?”
“Sparkle… and yes, if anypony can help. It’s her.”

Allen thought to himself and replied, “alright, if you think she can do it… then I’m all for it. Take me to Canterlot to speak with her… and then your debt will be paid.”
Allen Key held out his hoof and waited for a reply as Silvia hoofbumbed his, “deal.”
As the two lowered their hooves, Derpy stepped forward, “I’m going too.”
Silvia shook her head, “Whoa now, you’re cute and all… but my debt only required that I babysit just this guy here, sorry.”
Derpy got irritated, “if Allen goes, then I… wait… what?”
Allen Key replied, “Derpy is my friend… if she says she’s going… then she’s going.”
Silvia stepped back and looked at the two ponies for a few seconds before smiling, “oh… I see… fine, but I'll leave her protection in your hooves. If something bad happens to her, don’t expect me to jump in to rescue you.”

Allen nodded his head, “then it’s settled, tomorrow we leave for Canterlot. By the way… we never got your name.”
Silvia replied, “My name… is Silvia.”
Allen replied with an expression that showed that he was concerned about the name, “… Silvia?”
Silvia felt nervous that he had heard her name before as Allen replied, “That’s a nice name.”
Silvia sighed in relief as Allen asked, “Got a last name?”
With no concern, Silvia replied, “Unknown.”
Derpy smiled, “that’s a funny name… Silvia Unknown.”
Silvia and Allen gave Derpy a concerned look as she replied, “Is this mare for real?”
Allen started to speak, “Actually Derpy… I think she means that she doesn’t know her… Never mind. My name is Allen Key, and my friend here is Ditzy Doo. But her friends call her Derpy.”

Silvia nodded her head as she replied, “Well then Allen, Derpy. Can you tell me where exactly I am?”
Allen nodded his head, “Certainly, this is Ponyville, or… technically.”
“Technically?”
Derpy explained, “Well this is Ponyville but it’s actually closer to its own town. This is a small community just outside of the main area of Ponyville.”
Silvia nodded her head, “Ah, I see. So we are just outside of Ponyville?”
Derpy smiled “Yep.”
Silvia thought to herself then replied, “Well… then we are about a day’s travel from Canterlot. So it might be better that we pack light. There is no need to worry when we are this close.”
At that moment Paladin reentered the room and saw Silvia standing as he spoke, “oh… you’re up. I guess we don’t need this first aid kit then do we?”
Allen spoke next, “Perfect timing boss… it would seem that Silvia has volunteered to escort me to Canterlot tomorrow to help me gather information on flight… is It alright if she stayed here for the night?”
Paladin felt confused, “Wait… did I miss something?”
Silvia nodded her head, “For saving my life… I must help Allen achieve his goal.”

Paladin nodded his head as he replied, “Oh… I see, a life debt. I know all about that seeing that my mother was a bat pony. Well if you promise not to mess with anything here for the night… then I’ll allow you to stay. As for you Allen… I’ll be taking this out of your pay.”
Allen sighed as he replied, “oh all right, I guess that’s fair.”
Derpy smiled as she turned around, “I’m going home to pack… something tells me that this will be a fun trip.”
Allen smiled as he watched her leave, “alright then… be here first thing in the morning and we will leave together alright?”
Derpy smiled pleasantly as she trotted out the door, “okay Allen, I'll see you tomorrow. Oh, and you too Ms. Unknown.”
Allen could only smile at Derpy’s innocence as he watched the door behind her close. Then when Derpy was gone, Silvia looked at Allen and spoke, “You like her… don’t you?”
Allen immediately tried to play dumb, “What?... no… we are um… just close friends.”
Silvia smiled sarcastically, “yea… close and very supportive friends… if I didn’t know any better, I'd say you two were together.”
Allen replied as he tried to hide his blushing face, “She just understands what I’m going through, that’s all. She and I have been outcasts for as long as I can remember and we rely on each other to support one another when we are feeling down. That’s it! There is no secret scandal or anything.”

Silvia sighed in hopelessness as she replied, “Forget it, I swear males are so hopeless sometimes. Look if we are going to get an early start tomorrow then we better take this time to get ready.”
Allen nodded his head hoping that the previous subject wouldn’t be brought up again as he turned to leave the room. “Well… alright then. I'll see you tomorrow, remember bright and early. I'd like to get to Canterlot so we can explore the city a little bit.”
Silvia nodded her head as Allen left the shop, after he was gone Paladin sighed, “Don’t judge him too soon. Allen is by fare one of the smartest stallions I know. But I often wonder if he is wasting his life on a pointless dream, or if he really has the potential to do what he claims he can.”
Silvia asked, “and what about him and Derpy?”
Paladin smiled, “Those two?... they’ll be fine. Sooner or later one of them will say something and the rest will be history. Now if you will excuse me, I have a shop to close.”
With that said, Paladin started closing up his shop while Silvia started setting herself up a place to rest.

Not far outside the town, as the moon rose to begin the night, a dark mare wearing a black cloak stood on a cliffs edge staring at the remains of a destroyed wagon. As she stood staring at the sight with no concern, a cloaked stallion trotted up behind her as she spoke, “is she alive?”
The stallion nodded his head, “yes… she survived the fall, and is currently at a mechanic’s shop in Ponyville. She was saved by an earth pony and is now in a life debt with him.”
The mare replied without concern, “the earth pony… have you gathered information on him?”
The stallion nodded his head, “yes… his name is Allen Key. He is an outcast due to his unusual notions and attempts at flight. It would seem that many consider him to be a raving lunatic.”
The mare smiled at the thought, “an earth pony with notions of flight… such an interesting world we live in nowadays. Will he be a threat?”
The stallion shook his head, “No… he may be crazy…, but he has no fight in him at all. Even if he tried, he will go down easily.”

The mare turned to the stallion and spoke with a serious tone, “You know the rules, unless he decides to interfere with out plans, civilians will not be harmed. Besides, harming him will interfere with her life debt. And we must keep her moral intact.”
The stallion nodded his head and replied, “Got it boss… we will leave him out of it… should we make contact with her?”
The mare shook her head, “no… monitor her actions and keep yourself out of sight. Report anything unusual to me. We will continue to keep her safe until she is ready.”
The stallion nodded his head as he replied, “And… the earth pony?”
The mare replied as she trotted by him and into the shadows, “if her goal is to keep him safe… then assist her without revealing yourself. However, don’t let him get too close to her. We cannot allow her to become attached to outsiders.”
As the mare vanished into the shadows, the stallion replied, “As you wish… boss.”