• Published 19th May 2014
  • 420 Views, 17 Comments

Variables - TheWittleScamper



Five xenophobic soldiers end up in Equestria when their species is on the brink of extinction. What will ensue?

  • ...
 17
 420

I

- 1 -

Fria Världen, Earth
Russia
The War Room
July 7, 2357
8:37 AM



“So what do you plan to do about it, General?” The formerly dressed brigadier questioned, concerned about the very nature of this particular assignment. General Sladeck stroked his ageing beard thoroughly in thought.

“The solution is very simple. We have to send in a cleanup team.”

“That isn’t extreme to you?”

“It is.” He sighed heavily. The thought of potentially killing innocent civilians due to a few terrorist was terrible in its self, but to actually have to make the order was even worse. “Ever since this whole war with the M’Netai started…” He trailed off. To him, it was like a bad omen in a story. Genocidal extra terrestrials invade Världen’s colonies while the humans on Earth spilled their own blood. He shook his head, and stared at the holographic war table. The table displayed the Chinese Ghetto, which spanned from Beijing to Shenyang. He made a motion with his fingers to allow himself to zoom into Beijing, where the suspicious reports originated from. “It looks like I’ll have to send-“ He was cut off by a servant barging unannounced at the door.

“General Sladeck. Forgive the interruption, but someone has requested to witness your strategies.” He spoke assertively. The brigadier was the first to respond, nearly grabbing his sidearm at the outburst.

“What is the meaning of this? Who is so important that you would disturb a classified assignment for them to witness it?”

“None other than the general’s son of course.” He spoke matter-of-factly. As if on cue, a young boy by the age of twelve entered the room in attire fit for the Emperor. The expressions of both the general’s and brigadier’s face changed into warm smiles.

“Ah, Mattock! Have you come here to study the strategies of war?”

“Of course, Father” He said with a smile

“Aye, that there is smart boy. He is destined to become a commander under your wing, General.” Sladeck chuckled at the compliment. He motioned his son to the war table. The boy was just high enough to see it.

“This assignment, my son, is going to be a small battle with the Resistance.” The General started. He flipped a couple of switches at the base of the table. Faces of soldiers lined up on top each other from highest rank to the lowest. Sladeck looked to his son. “Can you find out what these individuals specialize in by their emblems?” He asked like a teacher would to a student. Mattock beamed with excitement, ready to impress his father. He read from bottom to top. He pointed at the photo.

“Corporal Randy “Wire” Rison. He’s a Combat Engineer.” He stated, earning an approving nod from his father. He continued.

“Sergeant Sarah “Spark” Evans. She is a Field Medic. Lieutenant Richard “Hashtag” Hashwell. He is a Demolitionist. Captain Steven “Yang” Nipson. He is a Sniper. And finally, Major Cottev “Firebird” Parker. He is…” He examined his emblem, but it was unfamiliar to him. It was in the shape of Fria Världen’s insignia: a phoenix with its wings outstretched. His father chuckled, knowing that his son didn’t know what he was.

“He is an Agent.”

“An Agent?”

“Yes. They are our new breed of soldiers. They volunteered to have machines implanted in them to make them the jacks of all trades. If you look closely at his eyes, you’ll see the digital optics in his irises.” He zoomed into the Agent’s eyes. They were blue, but not naturally so. The pupil was like a camera lens, and it had smaller versions of these lenses around his irises. “Amazing isn’t it? With these soldiers, we have a good chance of winning both our civil war and the Xeno War.” His son brightened up.

“And I’m going to watch them battle from here?”

“Yes. Make sure to take notes, you may need them in the future.” He pulled up another holographic profile labeled with the name of the team’s commander, Levi “Nest” Karken. Under his name, an audio wave was shown.

“You called me, General?”

“Yes, Commander. There has been suspicious activity in Beijing, near the Wangjing District. I want your team to investigate, and eradicate any confirmed terrorist.”

“What kind of suspicious activity was reported?”

“Murders and possible abductions.”

“Alright, sir. We’ll get on it.” He cut himself off from the communications. The aging general sighed.

“Let’s hope they’ll keep civilian casualties to a minimum.”


Beijing, China
Wangjing District
Raptor (Armored Personal Vehicle)
July 7, 2357
10:56 AM



It was cramped inside the monster of a vehicle. Small rays of sunlight shined through the miniscule excuses for windows near the roof of the vehicle. Inside sat a small group of five soldiers, doing their own little task while waiting to arrive to their destination. One man was cleaning his weapon with a smooth cloth, another man was reading a book, a woman stared at a picture of a family member, and another man taking a drag of a cigarette, and one man stared at his crew. The one cleaning his weapon took an interest on the book another was reading.

“So, what ya got there, Yang?” He shouted over the bumps of the road. Yang lifted his head to look at his comrade for only a second. He looked back down to continue his reading.

“A book made out of paper. I’m reading it. Something you wouldn’t be interested in doing in, Hashtag.” Hashtag read the title while Yang spoke.

“Harry Potter and the Order of Phoenix. What’s it about?”

“Ha! You’re shitting me, Hashtag. Have you never of the Harry Potter series?” A man said, taking another drag from his cigarette.

“As a matter of fact, no. Enlighten me with your vast knowledge on the subject, Wire.” Hashtag said with annoyance, eager to know what Harry Potter was.

“Harry Potter is a book series about a young wizard. It starts from Sorcerer’s Stone to The Deathly Hallows. It’s pretty entertaining.” Wire puffed a cloud of chemicals, filling the air with the scent of cigarette smoke.

“And you read them all?”

“Well, yeah.”

“I’ve read them all too.” Yang butted in, flipping the page. The woman lifted up her head as she put the picture away in a pocket. She flipped her hair and began the process of making a ponytail.

“Why do you have a paper copy anyway? That’s kind of old fashioned.” She chuckled.

“I like being old fashioned, Spark. Ever since I was a kid, I always wondered how people got by in the twenty-first century.” He replied.

“You sound like my grandfather.” She turned to the only silent person in the vehicle. “You’ve been awfully quiet, Firebird.” She commented out loud. The rest of the crew turned to face their field leader. He snapped out of his trance. “Is something bothering you?” He was silent for a moment.

“It’s just the order we’ve been given by Nest. He said that a total cleanup was needed. No survivors.” He said darkly.

“And they expect us to be okay with that?” Hashtag replied with a growing anger.

“We have to be.” Firebird spoke plainly.

“Let’s just look at the bright side. We might be doing them a favor. Some say death is better than living in the Chinese Ghetto.” Wire tried to lighten them up.

“They’re still innocent civilians, Wire! Men, women, and children just trying to get by.” Spark’s outburst brought water in her eyes, but she held back some tears.

“It’s all the fucking M’Natai’s fault anyway. Let’s face it, we could’ve solved the terrorist problems, but then they showed up.” Yang spoke calmly. They were all silent for what seemed like an eternity. They were on the frontlines, fighting against the alien threat. They saw what they could do, and how they didn’t show any guilt by killing families.

“If those bastards ever get to Earth, we’re fucked.” Hashtag finally broke the silenced.

“Just don’t jinx it, ya dingus.” Yang replied, once again flipping a page. The intercom which allowed the driver to speak with the passengers came on suddenly.

“Five minutes ‘till drop off.” He spoke in a monotone voice. The team immediately stopped what they were doing. Wire stomp on his smoke, Yang put his book away in a bag where he kept some miscellaneous items, and Spark put her photo away in one of the abundant pockets in her pants.

“Right. Let’s suit up.” Firebird ordered. He was followed by a hardy “yes sir” from each of his crew members. Each of them took bits and pieces of their standard issue combat armor. It was mostly a fiber metal material. It was specifically designed to be flexible and light, but tough enough to stop a titanium blade. Once the fiber metal was equipped, they strapped on immobile breast plates, bicep plating, forearm gauntlets, thigh plating, shin guards, and armored shoes. Along with all the raw armor protection, each set of armor had a shield generator powered by a solar-powered cell. The whole set took at least two minutes to be equipped and armed. They each grabbed their customized weapons once they were outfitted. Everyone had an assault rifle that used conventional ammunition, a sidearm that used the sun for ammunition, and special items that was dedicated to their unique skills. Wire had an auto-turret which he could place in strategic locations, Spark carried medical equipment not normally found at the frontlines of the twenty-first century, Yang wielded a powerful sniper rifle, Hashtag equipped a variety of explosives, and Firebird sheathed a thin katana.

“Thirty seconds.”

“Are we all ready?” Firebird clicked his weapons as he took a look at his crew.

“All set.” Hashtag smiled. “Let’s kick some ass.” As if on cue, the vehicle came to a complete stop.

“Open the hatch!” Firebird ordered the driver. The gears and pistons hissed as the door opened dramatically in a ramp style. Sunlight breached through the once dark chamber, forcing the soldiers to squint their eyes. Each of them trotted outside of the vehicle, forming a semicircle around the ramp that led inside of the vehicle. It was a literal hellhole outside. Almost every single was decimated from terrorist attacks from the resistance. The streets were cracked to a point where they had massive foliage growing from the cracks. The building ahead of them wasn’t as bad as the others. It was a massive warehouse complex, and it still had some of the white paint on the war torn bricks.

“Leave it to the Resistance to choose the nicest and largest building in the Ghetto.” Hashtag commented. “Fucking assholes.”

“Tell me about it. We could’ve used this as a homeless shelter.” Spark said with a little sympathy for the people who lived there.

“I don’t think it would shelter about two million people.” Yang scanned the area around him.

“Let’s just clean it up. It’s not our choice what the government does with it. Move in quietly.” Firebird ordered. The team moved up with as much stealth as they could muster. “Nest? Can you read me? Nest?! Dammit, they must have a jammer.” They continued without there communications.

“It’s clear outside. A little quiet, don’t ya think?” Wire muttered. They got to the entrance of the warehouse, still cautious about their surroundings. Firebird attempted to open the door, and just as expected it was locked.

“Holographic locks. Hashtag, place an EMP charge.” Hashtag did what he was told. He placed a sticky strip, and placed it on the lock. Once he stepped back into his place, the explosive combusted into electrical sparks.

“Breach!”

“Breaching.” One by one, the team reformed their semicircle inside of the building. The entrance looked like a lobby of sorts, with many other doors leading to different parts of the building. It’s was also devoid of anyone besides the soldiers.

“It’s clear. I’m expecting an ambush now.” Hashtag spoke with a slight sarcastic tone.

“Are they even smart enough to plan something like that?” Spark asked no one in particular.

“Stay focused. Let’s move to the next room.”

“Aye aye, Firebird.” Yang spoke for all of his team. The door was conveniently unlocked. The next room led to many metal containers with a second floor terrace. It was also empty.

“This is fucking pointless. Where the hell are the-“ Sounds of gunfire echoed in the chamber, cutting off Hashtag midsentence. One of the shots made their mark right on the side of Hashtag’s torso. “ARG! MOTHERFUCKER, I’M HIT!” Gunfire still echoed through the room. They all took cover behind the crates. Spark immediately started tending to Hashtag’s wound.

“Calm down!” She took a stimpack from her medicine bag. “Deep breath.” Hashtag obeyed, and Spark slammed the needle into his wound. He cringed from the pain. The medicine stared to work, rejuvenating the muscles and skin that were torn from the bullet.

“How the fuck did they get the tech to rip through our shields and armor?!” Wire shouted over the storm of bullets. He started to return fire blindly. Firebird used his machines to return fire with precision. One of his shots sprayed red blood and brain matter on the wall behind his target.

“Nice shot, Firebird!” Yang complimented. A metal cylinder clinked right next to them. Wire was the first to notice it.

“Shit, gas!” The cylinder spewed a purple cloud of smoke. The team activated the foldable helmets on the back of their necks. The helmet was made with scale-like versions of the hard composite armor with a glass face visor.

“Those fuckers shot my ass, and now they throw gas at us. They’re gonna pay!” Hashtag snarled, manning up to return fire with the team. After a couple of minutes of intense gunplay, the soldiers got through unscathed.

“We good?” Wire asked hesitantly.

“We’re good!” Yang replied.

“Let’s check the bodies. Take off their helmets and make sure they don’t get up.” Firebird ordered.

“Got it.” Yang followed his leader’s orders. He approached one of the mangled bodies. He bent down and took the dark helmet. He jumped back in shock. “Hashtag… check that body.” He pointed towards another riddled corpse. Hashtag removed the helmat from the corpse He too had a horrified face. “Pale face, white hair, and white eyes?”

“Shit… Shit!” He started freaking out, pacing around the body, and tracking blood on the floor. “It’s the fucking M’Netai! They’re on Earth!” He dropped his rifle to grab his hair.

“Then we need to retreat. Right now. There could be a whole army of them here.” Wire suggested.

“Agreed. Let’s retreat.” Before he could even turn around, another shitstorm of bullets were fired at them.

“Shit! Let’s get the FUCK OUTTA HERE!!” Hashtag grabbed his rifle to return fire. They all struggled to return to the lobby. They were successful, but barely.

“Wire, can you set up your turret?”

“No. Too much time!” They continued outside. It was raining hard and thunder cracked oddly close to them.

“How the hell did a storm show up? It was sunny ten minutes ago…” Spark noted.

“Get to the Raptor, go!” Firebird returned fire to buy his crew some precious seconds. The driver stepped out on the ramp to give the team some extra firepower.

“Come on!!” He gestured with his hand to encourage them. One by one, the team hopped on the ramp. Finally, Firebird made it inside.

“Shut the hatch.” The aliens crawled out of the door like roaches. One of them got lucky, and killed the driver. His ichor spewed on Firebirds face. “Shit!” The hatch door slammed shut with the hissing sound of the airlock.

“Fuck, man! We need to drive.” Hashtag shouted between heavy breaths.

“I’ll drive. You guys hang on tight.” Wire approached the cockpit, but something like an earthquake interrupted them.

“What the hell is that?” Yang asked with increasing fear for his and his friends’ lives. It grew more intense every second. They started shaking. And shaking. Soon they were suspended in the air. And slammed down like ragdolls. Every single one of them blacked out.


Ponyville, Equestria
Golden Oak Library
Twilight’s Chamber
July 7, 2357 (Summer Sun 38, 1004 AB)
9:18 PM



“Come on, Twilight. Shouldn’t you be going to bed instead of reading that?” The annoyed Spike moaned. Twilight smiled, closing the book with her magic, and leaving it on the desk.

“I’m sorry, Spike. I guess it is getting kind of late…” She gazed outside for a moment. She caught a glimpse of Luna’s beautiful night. Celestia’s day was wonderful too, but you can only do so much to a sky that doesn’t show any stars. Luna had the opportunity every night to create one of most spectacular scenery’s of Equestria: the night sky itself. She took advantage of that opportunity every night as well.

“Tell me about it.” Spike replied sarcastically. Twilight merely chuckled at his tone.

“Why don’t you get some sleep? I’ll go to bed in a minute.” Spike yawned in an exaggerated manner. He immediately hopped in his basket, wrapping his blankets around him. In less than a minute, he was fast asleep. Twilight shook her head. She approached the window to blow out the candle for the night. She marveled the night sky once again, admiring the placement of the stars, and catching a glimpse of a shooting star.

Then, all hell broke loose.

The sky exploded with a bright flash of light, blinding the unicorn. It only lasted a second, but it was more than enough to wake the quiet town of Ponyville. After it was over, the townsfolk started screaming in a panic. Twilight regained her composure to shut the window, muffling the voices of the ponies outside. She quickly turned around to check on Spike. To her amusement, he was still sound asleep. She pondered on what to do next. Part of her was curious about such a spontaneous phenomenon, and wanted to investigate it's origins, while the other just wanted to go to bed.

I should wait until tomorrow to find out where it came from. I guess I could bring the girls along with me too. Still, I wonder what could have caused it. And why was it silent? Questions formed in her mind while she slowly trotted into bed. They continued to linger in her head until she finally met the state of unconsciousness.