• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 6,289 Views, 85 Comments

A role-playing gamer in Celestia's Court - Gsarge9289



A rather nerdy guy wakes up to find he has a new body in a strange land. Even more strangeness ensues

  • ...
39
 85
 6,289

Growth and Unexpected Knowledge

Shining had been training me hard for the past three months. He thought that some physical guard training would be good for me on top of the magical training I was doing under his guidance. I had never felt this badass before. I was wearing a set of guard training armor that I had magically shaped and molded to fit me along with turning it a more white gold look that I felt went a bit better with my colors. Everything was well into the Winter season as the training ground where I was sparring with two guard was covered in snow while Shining Armor watched with a critical eye.

The two guards were using practice spears making stabs at me as I batted any blows getting too close away with my own. I was trying to position myself in such a way to prevent them from flanking me as apparently I was taking too long as two more guards joined the sparring ring with two more pegasi guards swooping in to try and hit me as well. I willed up a spell as quickly as I could as suddenly all the guards in the ring were struggling against their armor which had a faint black light aura as I willed them in place. I heard hooves running in the snow behind me as I turned my head and body to brace my spear in one arm to line up just in time to contact the charging guard who stumbled from the impact.

“Alright, nice job, Onyxian. Same for the rest of you.” I let them all gently go making sure the pegasi guards were still beating their wings so they wouldn't fall. Shining Armor trotted over to me speaking in a lower tone. “I can certainly say that you seem to be improving your control and concentration. I’d be honored to have you among our numbers in the guard.” I sighed and shook my head.

“:Thanks, but for the hundredth time, I don’t plan on joining the guard. I wanted to train for myself, maybe become a real adventurer rather than just play one with pencil and paper.” Shining Armor quirked an eyebrow at me and gave a chuckle.

“Well it’s not that Equestria doesn't have room for more heroes. I only keep asking because I think you’d do more good working as one of us rather than trying to alongside us.” I sat down in the snow removing my helmet to take a bit of the white powder and rub it against my forehead.

“And I get where you’re coming from, but I don’t think I’m cut out to be a guard.” Shining Armor’s face turned stern on me.

“I’ve noticed you haven’t made many friends in your time here. Any thoughts as to why?” Now it was my turn to look up at him.

“I’ve thought of you and Cadance as my friends. Did I make an error in my judgment?” Shining Armor seemed a bit flustered by my response.

“Oh, well no. We are your friends. I’ve just noticed you seem to keep everypony at arm’s length. Does this have any connection with you not feeling cut out to be a guard?” I sighed and laid back into the snow.

“So when is this Hearth's Warming holiday? I’ve been working on gifts for my friends in my spare time as magic practice and want to make sure they all get them on time.”

“Soon, but as luck would have it, Celestia has invited the three of us along with Twilly and her friends to Canterlot Castle for a Hearth's Warming for a few days.” I sat back up sure I had an excited look on my face.

“That is a stroke of good luck. That would be everypony I was wanting to get a gift to and getting to see them all face to face when they get them will be all the better.” Shining Armor gave a slight nod. “So was there anything else you wanted to talk to me about?” I stood up brushing the snow off of me.

“I guess just finish up the big reps for today, make sure to eat something, and do whatever you need to get ready. We’ll be heading to Canterlot in a few days.” I nodded and forced my horn to glow as fifteen pony-sized statues rose from the ground around me. I then launched a two by ten columns from the face of one closest to me and grabbed the end of it using my magic and arm strength to make a long sweep obliterating three more statues before slamming down on a fifth with enough force to to break the column into two pieces and sending those pieces into two more statues and finishing by levitating the last eight into the air like I had during sparring only ending by crushing them to dust from the outside in. I had gotten so use to using that much magic, that it only left me slightly out of breath as I smirked at my progress. I make my way to the Crystal Palace kitchen where an early lunch spread had been left out on the table. My stomach growled at the sight of food and I sat down and tore into the food fighting with every bit of willpower to keep from eating like a wild animal, my ears perking up at a giggle from a female voice.

“It’s not going to run off the plate.” I looked up at her and quirked an eyebrow at the crystal earth pony in a maid’s outfit.

“I don’t know, I’ve heard of some strange things that could disagree with you under certain circumstances. I’m Onyxian. It is a pleasure to meet you.” I could almost hear her rolling her eyes as I went back to eating but at a much slower pace.

“I’m Ruby Shine, you’re the guest from some far off land that’s been training with the captain and the guards here, right?” I nodded my head in affirmation, my mouth full at the time she had finished her question. “Not to be rude, but you really do look an awful lot like former King Sombra.” I looked back up from my food noticing she was rather close and seemed to have been studying me over.

“So I’ve been told. I was wondering if it made crystal ponies scared of me.” Ruby Shine tilted her head to the side at my comment.

“Some, it may have been over one thousand years ago to everypony else, but for us, King Sombra’s rule only ended one year ago.” I stopped eating and sat up. “Do I scare you?” I looked Ruby Shine right in her eyes noticing her eyes had sparkling red irises just like rubies as she leaned in almost touching her muzzle with mine.

“There is certainly power worthy of respect behind your visage, Onyxian, but I’d say you inspire awe rather than fear in me.” I laughed as lightheartedly as I could which seemed to confuse her. “Did I say something funny?” I simply patted her head tussling her short red hair in response before going back to eating a bit more, offering her some of the food from the spread.

“Do you want to know what I’ve missed most in my three months in the Crystal Empire? Meat. In ponyville, I’d pop into the Everfree Forest to catch something every now and again and nopony would be the wiser.” She certainly seemed surprised that I had told her that, her slightly lighter red body shivering.

“You can eat meat? Interesting. Do you always open with that line?”

“Nope, you’re the first pony I’ve told that to in the Crystal Empire and only like the third in Equestria.”

“Why did you tell me that?” I looked at her with a deadpan stare, all humor gone from my face.

“Because you’re not a crystal pony.” The filly in front of me looked shocked rather than insulted at my statement. “Crystal ponies have an aura of the earth about them. When I touched your head, I confirmed you didn’t. So who are you really?” Ruby Shine gave a pout as the image faded away, replaced by a changeling drone which replied in a slightly feminine buzz much like a turrian from Mass Effect.

“Echo. So if you knew I wasn't a crystal pony, why am I not in a cell now?”

“Why are you here?”

“To find the source of the sudden magical influx in Equestria. For Queen Chrysalis.” I narrowed my eyes on her.

“Well, did you find it?” Echo suddenly turned sheepish looking down to the floor at her hooves.

“Yes.” I got out of the chair gently putting my hand on Echo’s head, the crook of my thumb and index finger encircling her horn.

“Ok then, what is it?” She looked up at me with green insect-like eyes now showing fear.

“You.”