• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 6,289 Views, 85 Comments

A role-playing gamer in Celestia's Court - Gsarge9289



A rather nerdy guy wakes up to find he has a new body in a strange land. Even more strangeness ensues

  • ...
39
 85
 6,289

Something Different

We were on the train heading back to Ponyville. Pinkie filled me in on all the crazy stuff that had happened involving Rarity which I was only half heartedly listening to lost in thought about the wonderful night Luna and I had shared together, such as getting to see her properly wear the necklace I had made for her in person. I was sharply brought back to reality by a hoof to my forehead.

"Oww! What was that for?"

"Who's got your mind all busy, Nyxie?" Pinkie giggled at me as I gave her a stern look.

"A special somepony that I got to spend a very wonderful time with." Pinkie lit up and moved in as I noticed the rest of the mane six looking at us with interest as Rarity and Applejack moved in.

"A special somepony, when did that happen? Who are they? Are they from Manehattan?" Rarity and Applejack pulled Pinkie Pie off me as Rarity gave a smile.

"Oh, your date went well, then?"

"Guess it musta been since we hardly saw ya 'til it was time fer the train." I chuckled and nodded my head.

"Well, she was nice enough to let me spend the night at her hotel room." Rarity's jaw dropped as both her and Applejack had let Pinkie Pie go.

"You spent the night in Princess Luna's hotel room?!" Pinkie Pie gasped as I looked around seeing Fluttershy agasp, Rainbow Dash perking up from her nap, and Twilight doing a soda spit-take all over poor Spike.

"YOU'RE SPECIAL SOMEPONIES WITH PRINCESS LUNA!!" Rarity, Applejack, and I were sent reeling by Pinkie's shouting and now everypony in the train car was looking at me.

"Oww, yes. At least I think we are."

"So that's why you only popped in to get your clothes that first night. I must say I'm rather surprised. It seems very unreal to me, Darling."

"It's pretty unreal to me, too." Twilight walked over and looked up to me as I saw Spike head off to likely go get cleaned up before the sugary beverage dried into a sticky film.

"So, just when did you and Luna meet?"

"Oh, Twilight dear it was so romantic,they met when Onyxian was in that dreadful Everfree Forest, in his dreams." Twilight looked at Rarity and then back to me.

"And who told you that?"

"Luna herself did Twilight. Sumthing about them meeting in his dreams over the month he's been here." Applejack piped in as I nodded my head.

"That's coolerific, Nyxie. Here we were worried you were having trouble making friends and you'd gotten yourself a special somepony." Rarity drew Twilight, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, and me closer.

"They even met with her in disguise at the train station."

"You told me he was going sightseeing"

"Well, that's not really a lie. I'm sure he and Luna did a lot of sightseeing together."

"And just why was I left out of the group?" I sat up having regained my cool, calm demeanor.

"Well, because we kinda thought you might freak out." Twilight huffed and gave me quite the glare.

"I don't freak out!"

"Huh Twi, ya kinda do. Just relax."

"Indeed, who is special someponies with whom is nothing for us to get bent out of shape about. Besides Onyxian is a fine upstanding individual." Twilight sighed and nodded her head.

"I just wish you had trusted me enough to tell me, Onyxian." I sighed and shook my head as Twilight looked rather dejected.

"It it makes you feel any better, I had been trying to keep the relationship under wraps until Luna was ready to come out about it."

"Too bad Rarity was one of the first ponies to find out. I'm surprised Gabby Gums kept a secret like that for a whole week." Rarity looked a bit hurt at Rainbow Dash's comment as she joined in.

"Rainbow Dash! I can certainly keep a secret. It just slipped my mind that it was one." I moved away from the rest of the Mane Six over to Fluttershy's bench as I laid out beside her.

"If it's alright with you, Fluttershy. I'm just gonna nap the rest of the trip." I closed my eyes and felt a wing lay out on top of my head as the world under my eyelids went darker. "Thanks, you're the best." I drifted off into my own thoughts for a while and was woken up by feathers tickling my nose.

"Wake up Sleepyhead, the train has stopped." I sat up and rubbed my eyes.

"Thank you. I'm sorry I kept you in your seat the whole ride."

"It was hardly the whole ride, just the last hour. I'm happy to help my friends."

"Well, if you need a helping hand, just let me know." I stood up getting my luggage along with Fluttershy's.

"Onyxian, you don't have to get that." I shook my head and carried all of it off the train.

"It's no big deal, you and I going on the same road." We bid everypony else goodbye and made our way to Fluttershy's treehouse. About a two-thirds the way there, I stopped dead in my tracks as a strange feeling I was being watched overcame me.

"And just who might you be?" A voice and head said right in front of me as I was now face-to-face with Discord or at least his head.

"Onyxian, this is Discord. Discord, meet Onyxian. He's the new resident of Ponyville I told you about." Discord's body fully appeared as he stood up showing that he was a good two maybe even three feet taller than me.

"I see, Fluttershy tells me you ended up in Equestria after a teleportation spell went awry. You feel other worldly and certainly have a look much more becoming of a rather villainous nature." Fluttershy seemed a bit flustered.

"Discord! Onyxian has been nothing but kind and well mannered since I've met him. You should know what it's like being judged by your appearance. Why would you say something so mean?" I simply brushed it off not wanting to give Discord any ideas. Discord looked down at Fluttershy with a hurt expression.

"I didn't mean anything hurtful by it, but he sure has a lot of colors that go with being a villain.

"Are you saying I shouldn't be trusted with Fluttershy's things? Because if you'd like to carry them for her, you can be my guest. I don't have any intention of hurting Equestria or her ponies." Discord looked me over from a magnifying glass in his talon, his little iris distorted to the same size as his larger one.

"No, I trust you wouldn't hurt Fluttershy or any other pony." Fluttershy and I made our way to her treehouse where she opened the door and was greeted by all of the animals, each one quite excited at her return as Angel hopped over in a rather dismissive fashion but then hugged her foreleg when he thought nopony was looking. I gently set her luggage down next to her.

"Well, I'm sure you and Discord have catching up to do, so I'll leave you two to do so."

"You're sure you can't stay, Onyxian? I'm sure you and Discord would get along great if gave it a bit more time." Suddenly, I heard a loud, powerful roar or maybe it was a collection of roars ring out from near by in the Everfree forest.

"That sounds like trouble, and close at that." I stepped out of the treehouse looking around as the animals had gone to take shelter as I felt powerful and large footsteps shaking the ground as out of the forest a five-headed hydra crashed through the tree line its heads scenting the air in different directions before lumbering its way to the chickencoop. Fluttershy looked in horror as I leapt to action sending a two-foot wide blunt pillar of stone into the Hydra's gut, all of its faces contorting in pain as the force of the impact pushed it back from the henhouse. I sent a second pillar into its gut sending it sliding back but not nearly as far as it had before as it had caught itself by digging its claws into the ground to keep from sliding back as all five sets of eyes looked down at me. I bared my teeth and growled right back at the snarling heads while trying to keep from shaking with fear. I focused on the ground under the hydra which suddenly began to give out from under its feet as it sank till the mud now around it was around its feet. It roared and began to lumber at me but was held in place as I managed to will the mud into stone around its feet. It was an old trick I'd pulled as a druid all the time while playing D&D. I made sure to stay out of its reach as I circled it.

"Hey Discord. Wanna be a pal and give me a bit of help?" Suddenly, Discord was right next to me as I looked over at him.

"Very nice handling of a hydra, not many ponies can say they've managed to subdue one by themselves and so quickly, too."

"I'd hardly say subdued. Preoccupied might be a better word. I need you to send it back to its home or I'm going to have to solve this problem with the only means I have, violence. And I'm sure Fluttershy wouldn't approve since you're here and could just teleport it away." Discord quirked an eyebrow and put his eyes level with mine,

"And just how would you have any idea of what I can and can't do?"

"Come on, you're Discord: Spirit of Chaos, one of the most powerful beings in Equestria. You could shrink it down to the size of a puppy and keep it as a pet if you wanted, all I'm asking is for you to send it back home where it belongs."

"Alright, but you don't have to be so dramatic with that '...only means I have...' bit."

"I wasn't being dramatic so much as practical. I don't have anyway to contain or control the hydra." I sent a long wall up whacking most of the hydra's heads as they drooped down and the struggling stopped for the moment. I saw Rainbow Dash zip down from the sky seeing the hydra slumped down now with it's feet stuck in the ground.

"Woah, what's a hydra doing out of the Everfree?" Fluttershy walked out looking up at Discord.

"Indeed, a hydra wouldn't normally ever come out of the Everfree. Why don't you send it back home, Discord?" Discord brightened up and looked down at Fluttershy.

"Of course, anything for a friend." With a snap of his fingers and what sounded like the popping of a huge soap bubble, the hydra was gone. I simply rolled my eyes figuring he was simply being difficult because he could be with me. I was about to head home as Fluttershy stopped me by trotting into my path.

"That was a lot of magic for you. Are you sure you wouldn't rather rest here?"

"Yeah, it's starting to catch up with me. I figured I'd just go home and nap it off. Likely wake up hungry enough to eat a hydra." I slumped down on my luggage, that rapid fire magic use taking a bit more toll than I had first expected. It didn't help that I had done all of that on an empty stomach.

"Woah, you don't look so good, Onyxian!" Rainbow Dash came over and helped me stand up. "Take it easy, I got ya."

"Are you ok, Onyxian? Let's get inside." Fluttershy looked rather worried as I worked up a smile for her about to protest. "No buts, you're coming inside right now." I could tell Discord wasn't too happy with the way things were playing out as I looked at him from Rainbow Dash's shoulder height. For all I knew of Discord, he could have brought the hydra himself just to try and scare me off. I got off Rainbow.Dash and took a seat trying to keep my head up as my stomach let out a long growl trying to reassure Fluttershy I was okay with a chuckle.

"Well, if you're going to drag me in." I gave a yawn and shook my head trying to stay up. I heard a knock at the door as it opened to reveal Twilight.

"Hey Onyxian, I'm all for you trying to stay cool even when you don't feel your best, but it's ok to let your guard down." I looked over to Rainbow Dash and slumped back with a sigh as Twilight interjected.

"Onyxian, don't fall asleep! You have to eat something first." My head felt heavy as I forced myself to look up to a purple blur I hoped was Twilight. "Oh this is bad, he pushed himself very hard. Fluttershy get anything sugary and start a kettle. Onyxian, you have to stay awake until you eat and drink something." My vision went dark as I was sure my eyelids had closed but I couldn't force them to open back up. I heard muffled noises which I figured was Twilight trying to keep me awake as I was pulled into a dark, quiet void.