• Published 3rd May 2014
  • 2,703 Views, 61 Comments

Into the Void - Shadowflame38



[2nd Person person fic between Anon, Luna, and a mystery mare currently unnamed]

  • ...
14
 61
 2,703

Chapter 8-"Reliving the Past Part I"

Into the Void

Chapter 8
Reliving the Past Part I

Minutes pass without a word said between the three of you. The only noise heard are the slight flapping sounds of the night guards pulling the chariot. "So how bad is this Everfree forest really?" You ask hoping what Celestia said about the forest was an over exaggeration.

Nightblade looks at you as if you just asked the most stupid questions she's ever heard. "Are you serious, the forest is probably one of the most dangerous places in all of Equestria."

"What? How it’s just a forest. I mean yeah forests are dangerous but what makes it one of the worst places in Equestria?" You ask with a dumbfounded look on your face.

Nightblade smacks her face with her hoof demonstrating a "you idiot" manner. "The forest is dangerous because nopony goes in there; the place is unnatural and doesn't require ponies to maintain it. For instance the weather, pegasus ponies control that so we can determine when there needs to be rain or sun. But the Everfree doesn't have that; all of the weather is controlled by itself somehow. Not even Princess Celestia knows how or why it does that. Also the place is filled with dangerous and hideous creatures, some that even eat ponies."

"So why the hell would the Princess's build there castle in such a dangerous place in the first place. I hope Luna’s okay, I could never forgive myself is something where to happen to her because of me." You state looking out the window as Ponyville passes under you.

Cadence places a hoof on your shoulder and gives you a warm smile. "Don’t worry Anon, we’ll find Luna. I doubt anything has happened to her. But I know seeing you will help her understand the question circling the both of you.”

“You better hope nothing happened to her, I still blame you for all of this Anon and I swear if there’s even a scratch on the Princess you will pay.” Nightblade states glaring daggers at you from the other side of the chariot.

You look out the window and notice it’s suddenly gotten darker. You look down and notice the chariot has passed over Ponyville and the only sight below you now are hundreds of trees stretching for miles. The cart banks slightly to the right and begins descending into the tree line until you hear an audible **thud** as the cart touches down.

Nightblade hops down from her seat and heads for the door. “Princess please remains here while the guards and I check the surroundings.” She exits the chariot with the two guards standing just outside saluting. “You two check the area; make sure there isn’t anything waiting to surprise us.” She yells as the two guards begin their search.

You look out the window and notice what looks like a canyon splitting the castle away from the forest with only an old wooden bridge to get from one side to the other. “Was the castle built on a cliff?” You ask pointing to the canyon.

“Yes it gives the castle slight protection from creatures of the forest, that bridge is the only land access to the castle. Otherwise you need wings or you have to teleport to get across and since Alicorns can do both it seemed like a good idea.” Cadence states to you with a smile.

You were about to respond but Nightblade knocking on the door interrupted you. “Princess the immediate area is clear.” Cadence exits the chariot first with you close behind. You look up at the sprawling ruins of the abandon castle before you, knowing all too well that this is the place you recall Luna visiting in your dream. “Welcome to the ruins of the castle of the two sisters Anon.” Cadence states turning towards you.

“This place, it’s exactly like the ruins in my dream. Come on we need to go inside and try and find Luna.” You yell running for the door to the ruins.

“Anon wait, don’t rush ahead. You don’t know what could be in there.” Cadence yells from behind you but you don’t slow down your pace, you came here to find Luna and you weren’t going to stop until you knew she was safe.

“Princess wait, damn it Anon, you two stay here guard the entrance to the ruins. I don’t want so much as a fly to enter, do you understand.” Nightblade yells to the guards who salute and take up there statue like posture on either side of the entrance.

You quickly pass through the entrance and make your way down the long corridor trying to recall as much of your dream as you could. Soon you stop and come to a large open room at the end of the corridor; the large open area is hard to see with only the light of the full moon shining through the cracks in the ceiling. Cadence and Nightblade finally catch up to you and take in the sight before them. “Cadence do you know a light spell or something, I can’t see a damn thing.” You ask looking to Cadence who responds with a nod and a smile. She closes her eyes and lowers her head in concentration when suddenly the tip of her horn glows a pink color and rays of light shoot out from the glow. You look up and notice what looks like floating pink balls emanating light in the middle of the room. “Thank you.”

You look around and get the sense of deva vu as your mind starts to connect your surroundings. On either side of the room are corridors on both the second and first floor branching off from the room. At the opposite end of the entrance you see two large thrones on raised platforms overlooking the large open room. “This is the throne room; I remember coming here on the first night of my dream.” You start making your way across the large room towards the thrones. You look down the corridors in hopes of possibly catching a glimpse of Luna but see nothing. Soon the thrones stand before, the one on the left was once white and has a large golden sun crest on it. “This must be Celestia’s throne.” You notice the other throne is a dark blue almost black color with a large white moon on it. “And this must be Luna’s, what happened here?” You ask approaching the thrones noticing the large black marks and chunks missing out of them.

“Anon you know how Luna became Nightmare Moon correct?” Cadence asks with a sad expression.

“Yeah she said it was because everyone was ignoring her and she became jealous, I know there’s more to it than that but that’s a simple way to look at it, What’s that got to do with why this castle is destroyed?” You state pointing to your surroundings.

“Because when Nightmare Moon first revealed herself, it was right here in this very room. You see Anon another reason for Luna’s jealousy was because of her sister, Princess Celestia. Ponies played and loved her sister for bringing forth the sun and a new day, but didn’t care at all about Luna when she brought forth the night. So part of Luna’s jealousy was towards her sister for being so loved, so when Nightmare Moon took Luna, she tried to destroy Celestia in hopes of never bringing forth the dawn again. Do you see now Anon, this place was once there home and when Luna became Nightmare Moon, Celestia and Nightmare battled for the very future of Equestria. That’s why this place is so destroyed, and why nopony lives here anymore, because of what happened in the past. After Celestia used the elements of harmony to banish Luna to the moon she couldn’t stand the sight of this place and decided to build her new home on the mountain where Canterlot now stands.” Cadence finishes with a saddened expression. “It’s a real shame too; this place was rather beautiful once.”

You stand there stunned at everything Cadence just told you. You knew that Luna was once Nightmare Moon and you didn’t care about what here past held. But you never knew that part of her jealousy was towards her sister. “Well regardless of what happened in the past Luna still doesn’t deserve this. She still blames herself for everything that happened and that’s not fair in the slightest. We need to find her.” You state stepping down from the thrown platform.

“Ok but where do we start looking, this place is huge. Princess Cadence can you sense Princess Luna anywhere?” Nightblade asks looking around at the many corridors.

“I can’t sense her anywhere and I can’t tell if she is intentionally hiding herself or if it’s because of the magic surrounding this place.” Cadence states joining you and Nightblade at the bottom of the stairs.

“It doesn’t matter where she is or how long it takes to find her. We are going to find her.” You snap at the two with anger evident in your voice.

You look towards them and see Cadence with a shocked expression and Nightblade dawning a pissed off look. “How dare you speak to Princ.”

But she was cut off by Cadence. “Enough Nightblade, he meant nothing by it.”

Nightblade dawns a shocked look, either because the she let you talk to Cadence like that or the fact that Princess Cadence was defending you. “Bbbut your Highness he has no right to.”

“I said enough.” Cadence snaps with a hint of anger which surprised even you.

“I’m sorry, it’s just this is all my fault and I can’t leave here without finding her. It’s the least I can do after all Luna has done for me.” You state in a softer tone taking a seat on the stairs behind you.

Cadence approaches you and sits next to you, you feel her drape her wing over your shoulder. “Anon please, you mustn’t blame yourself for this. Don’t worry we’ll find her; I believe in my heart that there is something important the two of you need to discuss and nothing will keep the two of you away. Now let’s just begin our search and hope that we can find some trace of Auntie Luna.” Cadence states in an overly confident manner.

“Wait I remember something that might have been a library, I have no idea how to get there but I remember Luna spending some time there looking over old books.” You state standing up.

“Excellent, we can start there. I don’t know my way around this place any more than you so let’s just pick a corridor and start our search.” Cadence states making her way towards the nearest corridor.

You’ve been wandering the different corridors for what seems like hours finding no trace of Luna. Every hallway seems to look the same. “This place is like a maze how are we ever going to find anything in this place, let alone Princess Luna.”

The three of you soon come to a large busted down door leading outside. You continue through it until you arrive in what you can only assume was the castle’s inner courtyard you followed Luna too the other night. The area is covered in overgrown vines and weeds. You notice the large fountain in the center with the sun and moon statue above it. You suddenly remember why Luna came here in the first place and take off towards the far corner.

“Anon where are you going?” Cadence asks following behind you.

“Luna came to this courtyard in my dream, it’s still kind of fuzzy but I remember there being something here she was looking at.” You reach the other side of the courtyard and see the stone tablet sticking out of the ground. “Here it is, she was looking at this tombstone in my dream, she didn’t say who it was for though or if she did I don’t remember.”

“Melvin the Manticore, who was he?” Asks Nightblade examining the tablet.

“Oh Melvin, he was one of Luna’s only friends back when she used to live here. I don’t know the full story but I remember that when they were building the castle, workers stole supplies from Melvin without asking. He then trapped them because he was angry and somehow Luna was able to communicate with him. After that they became good friends but you’ll have to ask her if you want to know more.” Cadence stated with sadness evident in her voice.

“Well she’s definitely been here; there aren’t any vines or shrubbery around his grave. Let’s keep looking, at least we know she was here, let’s head back inside through that door and keep looking.” You state pointing to a door on the other side of the courtyard.

You re-enter the castle and into yet another corridor. But this one however seems somewhat familiar, all along the corridor are suits of old pony armor standing at attention. “Wait a minute, I remember this hallway, at least I think it’s the same one. I think where close to the library.” You shout with excitement as you take off down the dark corridor.

“Anon please wait for us.” You hear Cadence shout after you as her and Nightblade try to keep up.

You come to the end of the hall with a large wooden door before you. “I think it’s behind this door, here Nightblade help me open it.”

“I don’t take orders from you; unless the Princess asks me to aid you I will do nothing of the sort.” She states in a stern tone.

You feel something snap in the back of your mind and all of the anger that has been growing inside of you seems to come out all at once. You turn around and grab Nightblade by her chest plate and get right in her face which takes her by surprise. “Listen to me you fucking bitch, I have been taking your shit since the moment I met you and I’ve had it. Yes it’s my fault Luna came here and yes I’m sorry that it happened. But I’m trying to make up for it and I don’t need to keep getting shit from you. I’m not asking you to follow my orders as if I was a Princess giving them to you. But for Christ sake stop talking down to me like you’re so high and mighty, I’m trying my best here. I’ve only been in this world for two days and I’m sorry I’m not up to your standards. I may not be as strong as you or have wings but god damn it I’m going to try with everything I’ve got and no one, not even some stuck up guard is going to stop me. Now are you going to help me with this door or NOT!” You finish panting slightly.

Nightblade simply looks at you with a shocked expression, like she can’t believe that you just stood up to her. Suddenly she starts laughing. “Well well, well, it seems like you’ve finally grown some balls there Anon. Nopony has ever stood up to me like that, I’m honestly shocked.” She suddenly uses her wings to propel herself forward in a split second, knocking you over with her standing above you, hoof on your chest. “Now you’re absolutely right about this whole situation being your fault there’s no doubt about that. But you’ve done nothing but try and make up for it since you found out Princess Luna came here because of you, and you’ve definitely got some guts. You’ve proven that you’re not just some weak whatever you are, you’ve got heart and I respect that.” She suddenly dawns a serious expression. “But if you ever touch me again, I swear you won’t remember what happens.” She states in a stern tone. She hops off of you and extends her hoof to help you up.

After you get back on your feet you look over at Cadence who is simply smiling at the situation that just unfolded before her. An echo of “What” from you and Nightblade is the only thing uttered. You make your way back towards the door but before you can grab the handle to try and open it again, the door suddenly glows a pink color and opens. You turn around and notice Cadence’s horn glowing as she uses her magic to open the door. “And why didn’t you do that before?” You ask as she walks past you entering the room.

“Because I was sick of listening to the two of you fight, I was wondering when one of you was going to pop and lash out at the other. Seems like you where the bigger pony, now let’s go.” She states ending with a slight giggle as the three of you enter the room.

You look around and see the hundreds of books lining the shelves surrounding the room. “Finally we found it, but where’s Luna. LUNA! WHERE ARE YOU?” You shout in hopes that she might hear you. You look over and notice a small doorway leading into another room; you dash for the opening hoping she might be inside but find no one. “Damn it, where is she?”

“Anon look” Cadence states standing by a table filled with open books. “These are all old notes and journals of Starswirl the Bearded, Luna was definitely here look at the subject on all of the pages.”

You walk over and grab one of the open books and read the headline. “Time Travel, what could she possibly?” Suddenly the answer dawns on you as you recall what Luna was saying in your dreams. “She’s trying to return to the past.”

“But why would she want to do that, plus most of these spells are incomplete and incredibly dangerous.” Nightblade states setting a book back on the table.

“She wants to try and change her past in hopes of never becoming Nightmare Moon. If she does that she believes everything will stay as it was in the past with her and Celestia living in this castle. If there’s no Nightmare Moon then there’s no fight and no banishment which means I won’t find Luna in that dream world and I’ll never come to Equestria.” You finish sadness evident in your voice.

“Surely she wouldn’t try anything like that; Luna knows that these spells where extremely dangerous. And the dangers of trying to change ones past can be catastrophic; she wouldn’t dare try something like this.” Cadence states flipping through the pages of a journal.

“If everything you’ve ever known was suddenly taken away from you over something as simple as jealousy, would you try and change your past if you thought there might be a chance?” You ask Cadence who simply looks at you with a worried expression as the rationalized point you just made sinks in. “We need to find her before she makes a huge mistake.” Suddenly you hear what sounds like an organ begin to play throughout the castle. “What the hell is that, where is that coming from?” You yell to the others who are just as confused as you. “Maybe it’s Luna, let’s go find the organ.” You shout making your way towards the door.

“No Anon wait, we don’t know what it could be. You stay here and wait to see if Luna comes back, Nightblade and I will go find out who is playing the organ. Perhaps you are right and it is Luna, but just to be safe remain here in case she returns.” Cadence closes and locks the door you entered through and makes her way towards the other door. “Come Nightblade lets go find the source of the playing, Anon remain here with the doors locked until our return.” She states exiting the room with Nightblade and closing the door behind them.

“God I’m completely useless, I have no magic nor do I know how to fight. Even if I went with them I would probably only get in the way. I just wish I knew more about Luna and that I was stronger so that I could protect her from her past.” You look around at the old books not understanding most of what you are reading since most of it is about magic which you know little to nothing about. You enter the small room branching off of the library and notice there are less books lining the selves. There are small cushions in the middle of the room and a single window looking out over the courtyard. “This must be the sitting room I saw Luna in last night in my dream.” You say aloud taking a seat on the surprisingly still comfy cushion.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cadence’s perspective after you leave Anon

You and Nightblade begin your search for the source of the organ playing. The problem is that the long hallways are bouncing the sound everywhere so it’s hard to try and narrow the source down. You both come to the end of a corridor where there is a fork in the hallway branching off either left or right. “Do you have any ideas for narrowing our search?”

“Yes hold on a moment.” Nightblade states sitting down and closing her eyes to concentrate on the sound. She suddenly perks up and points to the left hallway. “This way Princess the sound is far greater.” Nightblade states taking the lead with Cadence close behind.

You notice the sound is indeed getting louder until the two of you come to a doorway. Inside you see what looks like an organ in the center of the room illuminated by the moonlight coming in through a small window in the ceiling. You can’t see much but you notice the silhouette of what looks like a pony sitting on a piano bench playing. You and Nightblade enter the room cautiously not knowing who the mystery pony might be. “You there, what are you doing here and why are you playing that organ?” Nightblade shouts startling the player who suddenly stops and rises from the organ.

“Who dares speak to me in such a manner?” The mystery pony snarls.

“My name is Princess Cadence and this is the captain of the Royal Night guard, Nightblade. Now who are you and what are you doing here?” You ask in your stern Princess voice.

The mystery pony laughs and turns around to face you and Nightblade, the moon seems to glow brighter revealing the organ player. “Come now is that anyway to speak to your Aunt, or you’re Princess in your case guard captain Nightblade?

“Auntie Luna, oh I’m so happy you’re okay, we’ve been looking everywhere for you.” You shout running up to Luna and embracing her in a hug. You notice that she is slightly dirty and looks incredibly tired as if she hasn’t slept in days.

“PPPrincess I’m so sorry, please forgive my outburst I had no idea it was you.” Nightblade stutters bowing.

“Rise guard captain, I should have never made my presence a threatening one. Now Cadence what are you doing here? Luna asks releasing the hug and making her way towards Nightblade.

“The three of us came here to bring you home Aunt, please let us return home this is no place for anypony let alone a Princess.” You state following close behind.

“Well I appreciate the thought but I cannot return to Canterlot until my business here is complete. Also how was it that you were able to locate where I was, Nightblade did you disobey my command and inform my sister of my whereabouts?” She states turning towards Nightblade with a stern expression.

“No Princess of course not, Anon was the one that somehow knew where you were. Somehow he has been having these dreams that have been showing him, well, you Princess. He said it was like being in the dream world but without you able to see or hear him, he remembered this castle and said that he just had a feeling that what he was actually seeing was where you were.” Nightblade hastily states.

“If we hadn’t come along Anon would have tried to brave the Everfree forest by himself to make it here and find you Luna. He needs to talk to you and I believe you wish to speak with him as well.” You state with a smile.

“Anon came here to find me. Regardless I simply can’t see him, not until I have a solution for trapping him here in Equestria. He simply doesn’t belong here and I owe him a way home for saving me from Nightmare Moon. Now I want you all to return to Canterlot and inform my sister that I am well and will return when I am finished.” Luna states making her way towards the door.

“Auntie Luna please wait, you know as well as I do how Anon is able to see you in his dreams. I feel it even now Aunt, no matter how hard you try and hide it I can see it, the moment you heard Anon was here I felt it surge through you. We Alicorns have a stronger connection than any other creature when it comes to this and you know it’s the truth, you don’t have to be afraid Aunt I promise you, please just speak to Anon and you will understand.” You say in a pleading voice making Luna stop just before the door.

“Damn you Cadence your right, but I simply can’t act on these feelings knowing I’ve ruined his life like this.” She states turning towards you with teary eyes.

“But you haven’t ruined his life Aunt, in fact according to him he couldn’t be happier to be here. And these feelings you have are not lies, Aunt and you must not keep them locked away. Please return to the library with us so that you might learn the truth for yourself.” You say making your way over to Luna.

“All right, I will return with you, to be quit honest I want to see him again anyway. Come let us return to him.” She states exiting the room with you and Nightblade close behind.

Luna leads the way back towards the Library with you and Nightblade close behind. You finally reach the locked door to the library and proceed inside.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Back to Anon

You hear the organ cease it’s playing and the room becomes eerily quit. “Maybe it was Luna and there on their way back.” You are about to stand up when suddenly a book resting on a small reading pedestal catches your eye, you grab the book and notice something strange about the page its open to. “Hearts desire spell, what the hell?” You notice the pages letters seem to melt away and change. “If it is answers you seek of a pony’s past, read this aloud in the presence of said pony to learn the truth.”

Suddenly the pages begin to glow as bright light, you try and drop the book but it seems to be stuck to you. Suddenly the light becomes increasingly brighter; you shield your eyes in an attempt to block the light. You hear a soft “ANON!” before it seems the world around you becomes completely white.

Suddenly the light disappears all at once; you open your eyes and take in your surroundings. You notice your still in the small room but it’s now morning it seems. “What the hell was that?” You then hear a sudden shriek of terror come from behind you. You turn around and see Luna standing before you but she seems different, her coat isn’t as dark and she seems slightly shorter. “Luna what’s?”

But she cuts you of before you can finish and bolts out of the room but not before you get hit with the same holding spell she used on you when you first met her in the dream world and are now pinned to the floor. “Starswirl, Tia there’s something in here help!”

“What the hell is going on, why is Luna freaking out?” You suddenly hear multiple hoof steps approaching at a fast pace getting louder and louder. “Oh this so can’t be good.”

Author's Note:

Hey guys sorry this chapter took so long to come out especially because its not as long as my average chapter. But I was busy last week and didn't have time to write up the start of this arch and I was going to do it this past Monday but for whatever reason I just couldn't concentrate on the writing and didn't want to release a shity chapter plus I was still trying to figure out how I wanted to approach it but I hope you guys like what I decided on.

So I hope you guys enjoyed and should have the next chapter out next week as long as something doesn't come up.

Until next time,
Maineiacs