• Published 26th Apr 2014
  • 2,138 Views, 91 Comments

A Fear that Came to Pass - ChingKittyCat



[Interactive/Comment Driven] The crystal empire is enslaved. Twilight fails her test. Now she's out for revenge, and on a painstakingly long journey.

  • ...
3
 91
 2,138

Chapter 9

"I trust the doctor's opinion."
Twilight objected, making Rose Dust slightly madden. What her problem was, Twilight did not know. Sure, they did need to take haste to get rid of their enemy, and get to their destination, but two days down the drain shouldn't matter. Though, it was all on Twilight's shoulders. She was the reason they stalled the group. For some reason, they did not leave her. Maybe because.. You get it. Element of magic. The best unicorn could hope for, blah-de-blah. So on, so fourth.

Rose Dust left the room with a swish of her tail. So.. Did they have books to read here? There didn't appear to be anything to read. Great. Twilight was going to be staring at walls for two days. Fantastic. This was going to be the most exhilarating two days of her life. She could tell already. It would be full on thrills from this point on.

"Hour twelve. I'm trying to recite poetry to myself. I'm also talking to myself. At times like this, I wish I was back in Ponyville, and I didn't go on this stupid trip. This is excruciating."
Twilight grumbled to herself. The clock that was hung above the door way had said the time. Nine PM. She had done actually nothing. Actually nothing. Just sitting in bed, and slowly draining her magic so she could fall asleep at some point in the future. Just activating your aura drained magic. Twilight was about seventy five percent through her magic reserves after charging up for two days. This was after twelve hours, mind you.

Twilight had trained herself to charge her magic up faster than she could get rid of it. Under normal circumstances, she would only be using her magic for levitation. Nothing more. She had practiced levitating stuff so much, she no longer was able to drain her magic from levitating small objects. Heavier objects took a bit more magic. Twilight wasn't levitating anything. She was just using magic to do nothing.

Had any other pony noticed the annoying sound that magic made when it was activated? BECAUSE THAT SOUND WAS THE ONLY SOUND SHE HAD BEEN HEARING FOR THE PAST TWELVE HOURS. Well, other than the sound of the doctor talking to her, and the sound of hooves outside her door. Other than that, it was her, and the buzzing sound of draining magic. Twilight still was not tired.

Twilight banged her head up against the bed frame. She had to entertain herself. All she had been doing was quoting famous movies for the past hours.. She had to create her own entertainment. What was up with her dream that she had? With that cryptic message?

It grows stronger as you feed it.
Yes. Plants grow stronger as you give them food and water. That is how plants work. What is that actually supposed to work? You do gain energy when eating food. That's true. That is not a lie. Wait a second, who spoke that message again? The original voice had been forgotten, and was now spoken in Twilight's voice. Well. It was probably nothing.

Twilight clapped her hooves together. Clap. Clap. Twilight glanced up at the clock, watching the seconds hand tick away in a clockwise direction. Twilight had attempted to keep her hooves clapping in the same rhythm that the seconds hand had. Twilight had been doing this for the past hour or so. It was currently.. Twelve AM. Maybe it would be best if she got some sleep.

Once that thought popped into her brain, Twilight stopped her hooves from clapping together, and cuddled up onto the old, raggedy matress. She had flung the blanket off the bed because of the bed bugs. She had also used the blanket to drain her magic faster. So after three hours, she was now down to sixty percent.

Twilight drifted back off into dream land. Though that probably wasn't the smartest idea, considering her previous dreams. This time, she was going to be control of her dreams. Twilight made sure to cast a spell on herself before she closed her eyes. This spell, she had learned way back when. Back when she was in the School for Talented Unicorns. Ah. Memories.

This dream was going to bend to her will. She was not going to let that invader morph her dreams. It was her consciousness. This dream was the dream she was going to beat the tar out of him. That would show him for daring to step a single hoof into her mind. Twilight smirked as she thought about her game plan. Her eyes were sealed now. Time for a fight within a land of Twilight's imagination.

Twilight could feel the bed disappear beneath her. Wind and air replaced the world below her. As an instinct, Twilight twitched. The feeling of air whisking past her airs did not fade. Twilight's eyes opened. She was falling down to the world below. A crisp image of Equestria was below her, as she appeared to be dropped from the troposphere. She passed through bright white clouds, as misty air clinged to her fur, leaving behind small water droplets.

Twilight calmed herself. Something broke within her dream, as Twilight's eyes snapped shut. The feeling of the gust rushing past her ears disappeared. Ground was now safely beneath Twilight's hooves. With a sigh, Twilight reopened her eyes once more. She was in a familiar location. A large field. Though, this time, the field showed no end. It just continued off into the distance, completely flat. There was a mist that covered the field, a mile's expanse away.

Twilight glowered at the mist. She had not told her spell to make that mist. Twilight glanced off into all directions. Nothing was different. The light fog was still white. The expanse above was covered by mist. Twilight was in a dome made basically of clouds. It was a perfect circle.

"I know you're here."
Twilight hissed at the entity that had been in her dreams previously, The King. She received no answer from him. Twilight took a stance, making sure she was ready for anything that he tossed at her. Wether it be Celestia, Luna, or any of her friends or family, she would be ready for any tricks he might try to play.

"I know you can appear."
Twilight jeered. She once again, received no response. What else did she expect. Previously, he was the one who was in control of her dreams. He must be surprised that she had full control of her dreams, unlike usual. She was prepared for him. She wanted to kick his plot this dream. Oh, how foolish.

"Show yourself!"
Twilight bellowed out to the tall grass expanse. No response. Twilight fumed. What was he doing? The one time she wanted him to show up, and he wasn't. She thought he would probably jump at the chance to fight her. Obviously, she was wrong. Was that spell all for naught? Or maybe he was just smarter than she thought he was. Once he gave at least one signal he was here..

"Violence will only help it achieve it's goals."
He whispered into her ears. As soon as he said that, Twilight conjured up a large bottle to capture him. The bottle had been made right beside her, catching the dark cloud within it's glass walls. He had the same appearance as he had in the first dream he appeared in. He stood there, blankly. Just staring at her.

His appearance made her stumble, and fall onto her back. Even though he had been contained, Twilight was still frightened of him. His black hoof reached out for the glass confinement. As soon as that hoof made contact with the glass barrier, the glass shattered into a rain of razor sharp pieces. All flung at the lavender unicorn. She had made them stop mid-air, and had flung them off to the side, so she may not be barraged with small swords of glass.

His body morphed and swerved like smoke, as he drifted from the glass bottle, and up to Twilight. Twilight swore she was prepared for this. She KNEW she was prepared for him. How could she be giving into weakness like this? He even gave away his position. He set up everything for her, but she was failing to kick his plot.

"Let's see if you can control your evil, because if you fail.. The day it escapes, that day will be the end of you."

Twilight awoke in cold sweat, and scrambling. Due to her frantic state, she slipped off of her bed, and onto the floor. Where she was greeted by the wooden and splinter covered floor. She was also reintroduced to her saddlebag and cloak, which happened to be nicely placed by her bedside. Both of which were now crunched by Twilight's purple equine body.

Twilight rubbed her head as she brought herself back up with her magic. She took to her hooves, regaining her footing. She could feel a slight pain in her back leg, but it was minimal. Nothing more than just a slight annoyance. She stretched her leg out as she recapped on her failure. She had him right where she needed him to be. What was keeping her from destroying his plot?

Fear. Period. Nothing else, but pure, unadorned fear. Perhaps, that was what kept a lot of ponies from facing him. Other than Celestia and Luna. Those alicorns were fearless. They were still her idols, even when she was disobeying their commands to hide. She was going to face the threat head-on.

There was one problem, though. If Twilight couldn't even face up to him in her dreams, then how would she confront him in the real world? This was annoying. She had told her friends to face up to fears, and now she couldn't even face her own. Perhaps there was a way to surgically remove fear from her mind. Wait a second. The brain had a section known as the amygdala.. The part that controls fear! Perhaps, she could just get a surgeon to remove it! Genius.

Twilight did not know any surgeons, unfortunately. Nor did she have the money to be operated on. How unlucky for her. Maybe she could just use the 'Equestria is in peril, and I need you to..' ticket. She had not tried it before, but it was sure to work. She was Celestia's prized pupil. Ponies should be listening to her. She was a higher authority, after all..

No matter. She would get it removed in the near future. Perhaps, if the group just happened to stumble upon a wandering surgeon who just so happens to regularly operate on brains.. Then she could convince them to remove it.

"Get Twilight, then get out! GO! GO!"
Twilight could hear the yells from outside her room. Twilight quizzically raised an eyebrow, and was about to race towards the door, but the door raced to her instead. It had been flung off it's hinges, and thrown towards Twilight. Twilight was able to duck underneath the object, as it crashed into the wall behind her. Glancing back at the wooden object, and then at the door frame. There, stood one of the stallions from the group. Also known as Log Chuck. He specialized in.. Well, bucking down trees.

Twilight could tell the situation was dire. She didn't have much time, obviously. Twilight grabbed her stuff, and ran out of the room, and out into the hallway of the home. It was very bare, and it appeared to be a hotel. There were multiple other rooms, though their doors were swung open. Apparently. everypony else had been staying here while Twilight had healed.

Log Chuck and multiple other ponies galoped down the hall, as Twilight made her way after them. Every other step she took, her pain would act up. Causing her to slightly pause between each hoof beat. She hadn't healed fully, but there obviously wasn't time for her to heal right now. Whatever was causing this distress had to be dealt with right now.

The small rescue party ran down a flight of stairs. Twilight didn't need this right now. This would only cause the pain to act up more, if she ran down these stairs. She could see the bottom of the stairs. Listening to her magic, she conjured up a quick teleportation spell to transport her down to the bottom of the stairs.

The downstairs floor was a small lobby, complete with chairs of old. A counter could be located beside the stairs. The counter was currently unoccupied, for reasons that didn't matter at the current moment. Twilight moved herself out of the way of the rampage of the team that was meant to get her out of the building. They acted like the building was on fire.

They pulled her out of the building, and into the square of Hollow Shades. Where it appeared to having another war breaking out. This time, the war was not being fought against dogs, no. The war was being fought against heavily armored guards ponies. These ponies had identical coats, all a dark cyan. Their manes and tails were almost black, though hints of blue could be sighted in their manes.

They were equipped with spears made of an infamous crystal. The darkest crystals known to pony kind. Their armor appeared to be laced with the stuff as well. The guards seemed to be taking every single hit without a scratch of damage to their armor or flesh. Twilight was puzzled by this, but she was pulled by the small rescue team. They dragged her along, and out of town.

"The contact was one of his agents. We have to get out of here, and get to Manehatten as quickly as ponily possible."
A husky stallion's voice informed, as guards were busy fighting with the locals, and a couple of the stronger group members that decided to stay behind and fight. As soon as they exited the town, Twilight could feel something was wrong. One of those guards, out of the corner of her eye.. It must've been her imagination. It had a contradicting coat color, compared to the other guards. Yellow.

Author's Note:

Oh noooooo.