• Published 15th Apr 2014
  • 1,990 Views, 59 Comments

The Cryssaling pt 2 - storm the castle



Now that the cryssaling process is done, Spike begins a new chapter of his life, and decides to get a job.

  • ...
1
 59
 1,990

Ch 6 Weights and games and cookies, oh my!

After the incident of the lost pastries at Sugarcube Corner, Spike was placed solely on cleaning and mixing, and by the end of the day it became clear that he had no place at the shop. The Cakes’ assured him that if they ever found themselves in a pinch, they would be sure to call on him for aid, but it wasn’t what he was really looking for. Finding nearly the whole day had passed by, despite it feeling like nothing at all had happened, Spike decided it was time to hit the hay. As he passed the schedule beside the door to the treehouse, he made sure to check the calendar to make sure nothing was sneaking up on him. After making certain that the only pertinent information was that Twilight still had two more days in Canterlot with the Princesses, he made his way to his cot. Now that he was bigger, Twilight had gotten him a small bed all of his own, graduating from the basket he had occupied since his time in the Sparkle home in Canterlot.

Spike was feeling a little lonely at the moment. Twilight had left for the shining mountain-side city the previous day in order to update not only her own formal papers inherent to her position as a princess, but to get his official classification changed. She claimed that she also intended to get a proper apology out of the princess, but Spike had a pretty good idea of how that would go.
***************************
“I want a proper apology, Celestia, and I want it now!” said Twilight as forcefully as she dared. Celestia raised an eyebrow at her student, questioning her, as if to say ‘or what?’ Twilight crumpled almost immediately, and went full on Fluttershy, hiding behing her large bangs and quietly adding “I-if that’s all right with you, that is.”
***************************
Still though, Spike was sure it wouldn’t have been as bad if Owliscous had stuck around. The owl wasn’t much for conversation, but he was excellent to bounce ideas off of at least. Unfortunately, that was also out of the question, as it was spring time, and as Rainbow put it, he was “Gettin’ his swerve on.”

For a moment, Spike considered calling over the crusaders for company, but dismissed it just as quickly. It was too late at night for such a request, not to mention the incident with the timber wolves likely still had the three shivering with nightmares. “Luna’s gonna have a full night.” Spike said to no-one in particular. Still, he couldn’t shake his loneliness.

With some effort, Spike managed to force himself into a fragile sleep, waking up repeatedly through the night and finding it difficult to get comfortable again, as though the cot kept getting smaller.

The next morning wasn’t such a good go of it either, regrettably enough. Smelling what could only be identified as sweaty flowers, Spike woke groggily, barely registering what he saw. Once it came into view, though, he found himself face to face with a pair of red eyes and the most jarringly colorful mane in all of Ponyville. “Wh-GYAH!!” he yelled, flailing wildly, managing only to knock himself from the cot and onto the floor. Irritably, his heart going nuts from the sudden mass of color assaulting him, Spike sat up and began rubbing his noggin in frustration.

“Hehe, nice moves, squirt!” guffawed a gravelly voice, one he knew belonged to the most obnoxious speedster in town. (Who coincidentally had zero sense of personal space by the way.)

“Rainbow Dash!” complained Spike, “What the hay! Why are you here?” he looked out the window to confirm his suspicions, not even seeing the first rays of sunshine poking above the distant tree line. “The suns not even up, yet, what could you possibly want at this hour?”

She huffed, as though it should have been obvious. “Duh, the most avid fitness buffs exercise first thing in the morning, so we gotta be there when they arrive!”

Spike found himself drawing a blank in his sleep deprived state. “Huh?” was all he had for her.

She rolled her eyes at him, picking him up and making him stand. “You said you wanted a job at the fitness place right?” she asked him, to which he nodded, the conversation from the day before somewhat coming back to him. “Well this is when tryouts start; during the morning rush.”

Spike could already tell this particular job wouldn’t be for him, but neither Twi nor Rainbow would forgive him if he didn’t at least give it the ol’ college try. “Fine.” he grumbled, his body taking its sweet time to shake off sleep. “When do we need to be there?” he asked her.

“Two hours.” She said simply.

Spike stared at her incredulously, before yelling “What?! The place is only a half hour away! Why would you get me up this early if we still have two hours to go?!”

“Hey, no need to yell!” she said defensively. “I figured you’d want some time to get cleaned up and stuff.” She grinned ruefully and rubbed his head. “Besides, gotta give you time to make me breakfast, right?”

Spike yelled unintelligibly and began to chase her around the sleeping space he and Twilight shared. She only laughed, evading him easily and letting him play out his frustration. Once he calmed down sufficiently, he slouched in defeat and motioned her to go downstairs to the dining table.
Spike entered the kitchen as she took a seat, lounging in a carefree manner as he began to cook. “So,” she asked nonchalantly, “What’s for breakfast?”
Spike grunted from the kitchen. “Pancakes.” He answered.
“That’s cool.” She said, as though she were at a diner asking for the morning special.

Again he just huffed, but continued to cook. Soon enough, he had a stack of ten pancakes for the both of them, enough for both of their extreme appetites. Once the plates were settled, Spike asked Rainbow “So, tell me again, why am I feeding you?”

Rainbow affected an offended attitude. “What do you mean ‘Why?’” she asked. “I take it upon myself to look after you this fine morning, all alone and helpless as you are without a single family member to look after you, and this is how you thank me?” she stroked her hoof and tutted like a school teacher. “For shame, buddy, for shame. Imma have to tell Twilight if you keep this up.” Spike just rolled his eyes at the display. As they ate, Rainbow asked “Hey little dude, did you grow?” Spike looked up in surprise at the question, and then looked over himself to find that he had indeed grown a bit over night again. This time, he was a bit taller over all, and he could swear his wing-span had increased by a few inches.

Spike shrugged at her. “Guess so.” He answered. “Seems that every time somepony new says they’d like to my friend, I get a little bigger. It happened with the Crusaders the other day too.”

“Aww, that’s so cool!” she told him through her mouthful. “So like, if you get a thousand friends, you’ll be huge?”

Spike shrugged. “Maybe. The changes are different every time. With the girls, my tail just got a bit longer, but now that I made friends with Princess Luna, it’s a bit more dramatic.” He thought for a bit. “I guess that the change depends on who the kind of pony I’m making friends with is.”

Rainbow seemed to accept this answer and they both continued to eat. All of a sudden, though, she began spazzing out, waving her fore hooves and wing excitedly like a filly who had just met their first crush. “What would happen if we convinced Discord to say he was your friend?” Spike sat in silence, shocked at the implications of the idea.

“We gotta find out next time he’s in town.” Spike told her, a small hint of awe in his voice at the epic-ness of her idea. She smiled smugly, and finished her meal. Once Spike was also finished, he ran upstairs for a shower. It took a bit, (“C’mon, dude!” Rainbow shouted through the door. “I don’t even take this long, and I’m a girl!” it took all of Spike’s patience not to yell ‘barely’ back at her, deciding he didn’t want a black eye for the day) but they eventually left the treehouse behind and left for the Ponyvilles’ only worthwhile health facility, the ‘Strong Pony Fitness Center’.

“Rainbow Dash!” yelled a distinctly over-masculine voice from within the double glass doors of the building. “Choo are late! Vat is de meaning of dis?!” From within the building emerged possibly the most intimidating stallion in Ponyville, a veritable mountain of grey muscle that would send Big Macintosh cross-eyed, (and straighten out Derpy’s )named Sven. He was an earth pony with a bending barbell that said ‘100 lbs’ on each of its round ends for a cutie mark. “Sven hires puny pegasus because she say she is strong pony, but she is LAZY!!”

Spike smirked. “Hi,” he held out his claw to the mountainous earth pony, “you must be new here. I’m Spike.”

Sven, however, seemed oblivious to Spikes’ sarcasm and gave him a distasteful look. “Who is puny lizard, and vhy does he talk to Sven?” Spike immediately lowered his arm and growled. He officially did not like Sven any more.

“I don’t know Sven?” he sneered. “’Vhy does Sven talk like Sven has never attended school?’”

Sven caught it this time, and instead of getting into a battle of wits, (which he would lose) Sven bristled and moved in as though to crush Spike. For a few long moments, they stared each other down, Spike even flaring his wings and letting smoke escape his nostrils. Then, miraculously, Sven cracked a smile, and began to laugh. “Dis is good, Rainbow Dash!” he patted Spike on the back. “Little lizard is not vussy! Sven would not let him vork in veight room eef he vas!”

Sven gestured them inside. Spike had never been inside the facility, and had always assumed it would be strewn with random weights and smell of body odor. However, once inside, he found his presumptions had been distinctly wrong, as the facility was clean and organized, all of the equipment was separated by use, and the air conditioning kept the space cool. It even smelled like “Roses?” asked Spike.

Sven shrugged. “Pony town eez mostly female.” He explained. “Sven must cater to client.”

Spike nodded. It made sense. “So can you tell me what I’ll be doing around here?”

Sven nodded. “There are many things little lizard can help with. But first,” he raised a hoof, “Vee must be sure puny lizard can at least lift equipment.” Sven gestured to a rack of dumbbells sitting next to a forty-five pound bench press bar. “Little lizard vill have to show Sven his maximum lifting ability. Vee vill start with the bar and a pair of tventy pound dumbbells.” That sounded pretty basic to Spike, though the ‘little lizard’ thing was getting on his nerves real fast. He hoped it didn’t stick. Regardless, Spike went to the weights, Rainbow accompanying him as a spotter, and took the designated dumbells in his claws.

Spike took a deep breath, then put as much pressure as he could behind the free-weights. Much to the surprise of everyone present, Spike most of all, they lifted swiftly and easily, with nearly no resistance. Unsure of what to do next, he looked to Sven, who shrugged and pointed to the rack of dumbbells, indicating he should just keep going until he couldn’t lift them anymore. Spike accepted this, and turned to the racked equipment, deciding to forego the next few weight levels and instead going right to the forty-five pound weights.

Rainbow showed a bit of concern for his jump. “Hey kid, I know you put on some muscle recently, but do you even weigh forty-five pounds?”

“Sure I do!” he told her defensively. He had checked the scale in the bathroom this morning, and he was a full forty six pounds! Undaunted by the concern of the more experienced mare, Spike set his feet for balance, and proceeded to curl the weight to his chest. This time was much different, the lumps of steel coming up slowly, though steadily, and only meeting Spike’s shoulders with quite a lot of effort. Once they had, Spike dropped the weights to the ground, exhausted but exhilarated to find out how much he had changed.

“Impressive!” congratulated Sven. “Sven must admit, he did not expect such strength from such puny body, but is glad to be wrong in this instance.” Spike smiled at the lifter, proud of his accomplishment. "Still, test is not over. Go and lift bar.” He gestured to the bench press to Spikes right. Spike nodded and waddled over to the machine. Deciding to skip the bar itself, he instead went to the rack of disk weights beside it, and contemplated which to use. After a bit of thought, his timidity got the best of him and he decided to start small at a pair of ten and a pair of five pound weights, rounding the total out to a good seventy five pounds. Once he and Rainbow had the machine all set up, Spike positioned himself beneath it, took a few breaths to steady himself, and removed the bar from its rack. As with the first time with the dumbbells, the weight was shockingly light, though this time he could certainly feel it. Swiftly, he brought it to his chest and up, re-racking in only two seconds.

“Wow,” he said aloud, “that new dragon strength is some potent stuff!”

“Dragon strength?” Sven questioned. “Vhat is dragon strength mean?”

“Oh, I guess you wouldn’t know.” Spike realized that Sven probably wasn’t one of those who had been so worried when he disappeared. “I recently had what you might call a growth spurt, and it came with some kick-butt magical enhancements that I’m supposed to use to-”

“Magical strength?!!” demanded Sven, now genuinely hostile. “Little lizard did not work for muscles?!”

“Hey, it’s not like I had a choice in it!” defended Spike, unsure of what the problem was.

“This does not matter to Sven!” Sven told him hotly. “Excuses mean nothing to Sven! Only natural muscle may work with Sven!”

“What’s it matter?” reiterated Spike. “As long as I can lift the weight, why does it make a difference how I do it?”

“Little lizard is liar, that is what it matters!” declared Sven. “How can lizard teach others to lift, when he does not lift?” Sven began to usher Spike and Dash out of the door, as if they were unwelcome house-guests.

“Hey!” yelled Rainbow, “Why do I have to leave? I actually lift!”

Sven harrumphed. “Rainbow Pony can stay, but must make up for this with flyer duty!” he pointed to a pile of decorated flyers near the entrance. “But little lizard may not work vith Sven if he is not natural!” with that, they were out the door and on the side walk.

Spike, though himself upset at the dead-end and offended at the gym owners attitude, still had the presence of mind to worry about how Rainbow might take the development. “Dash?” he asked her, seeing she was glaring at the closed door. “Dash, are you gonna be ok?”

She grumbled a bit, but responded “Yeah, I’m fine. Flyer duty sucks, but it won’t take long, and I’m still employed.” She lowered her gaze and her head to Spike. “Really, though, I’m sorry it didn’t work out. I really thought I could help you out with this.”

Spike shrugged. “Meh. You’re not the first one who took me down a dead end. Really, though, I’m a little surprised you offered at all, or that you’re getting this upset over it.”

She blushed a bit. “Ahh, it’s just that I know how it is to feel like you gotta have somethin’ to show before you make a move. “

That took Spike by surprise. “Rainbow, did you try and get a job to impress a boy?!”

She gave a screwed up face, as though she had smelled something foul. “What?! No! I got my job to show my dad he didn’t have to worry about me, so it’s just a little similar is all!” Spike held up his claws in surrender, letting his question drop. “I’m just saying,” she continued, “I really just wanted to help you out. I know I give you a lot of crap about the Rarity thing, but this is a big step, and I just wanted to show that I respect that is all.” She elbowed him in the ribs. “Besides, loyalty is kind of my thing. Helping a friend comes with the territory.” She stood and stretched her wings, taking to the air at a low hover and picking up the flyers for her assigned task. “I better get started on this, though. Any idea what you’re gonna try next?”

Spike thought back to his dream with Luna. “The Princess suggested the Game Shack on the other side of town, I figure it’s a good bet.”

“Well, good luck. And don’t worry about this.” She raised the papers in her hooves. “I just need to pass ‘em out in Cloudsdale; the place is made of water vapor, so there’s a pretty high demand for exercise places. I’ll meet standard in a second!”

Spike chuckled at her. “I’d expect nothing less of THE Rainbow Dash.” He waved as she flew off for the cloud fortress, and once she was far off he began the trek to his next potential job.

A good hour later, Spike stood in front of the Game Shack, a popular gaming hub among teens and young ponies. Spike also happened to frequent the place often, and was well aquainted with the owner, Mr Widget. Off to his right, Spike took notice of a pair of other regulars, Snips and Snails, and Snail’s younger brother, Puppy Tales, a reddish orange colt with a blue mane and a story book cutie mark. He waved at them, and the two trotted over to meet him. “Hey guys,’ he greeted, “what’s up?”

“Nuthin’ much, buddy.” Responded Snips in his raspy voice. “Prolly just the same thing as you; waitin’ to play some games.”

For the first time that day, Spike threw his head back as his eyes took on a mystical glow. He breathed a light blue flame, then the magic was gone. He shook his head to clear his thoughts, and then noticed two of the three colts shying back a bit. Snails, it seemed, hadn’t noticed a thing. “Uhh, yeah, that’s a thing now.” Spike explained, rubbing the back of his head.

Snips, not sure of what happened, but nonetheless trusting Spike, decided to roll with it. “So, are you waiting for old Widget to open up too? It’s been a while since you been here after all.”

Spike chuckled and shook his head, as an older pony might at the silly opinion of a child. “Oh, young pony, I am far too mature for such things now.” He struck a, he thought, whimsical pose, though he really just looked lost. “No young ones, I have come to seek employment at this fine establishment, that I might forge my own path in this world.” He told them, patting Snips on the head.

“Yeah, whatever.” Snips responded, pushing the offending limb from his skull. “You’re just tryin’ to impress Miss Rarity, and everypony knows it.” Spike sulked a bit. Did everypony in town know?

“I’m glad you’re here.” Came the lower voice of Snails, still not making a lick of sense.

“Uhh, thanks?” responded Spike, unsure of what that was supposed to mean. They all waited a few moments, but with no reason forthcoming, Spike asked “You, maybe, wanna elaborate on that?”

“Nah,” answered Snails, “I already had breakfast. Thanks though.” As the other two rolled their eyes, he ushered his little brother foreward, presenting him to Spike. “But my brother really wanted to meet you.” Attention immediately went to the timid colt, who seemed like he might bolt at any second.

“Uhh, hey, Tales.” Spike greeted him. “Was there something you needed with me?”

The colt nodded his head nervously. “Y-yes sir.” He finally managed to squeak out. “First of all, I just wanted to say thank you for saving my big bro from those timber wolves yesterday. He’s a little slow on the uptake,” the colt huddled close to his big brother and leaned into him, “but he’s really important to me, and always helps with my homework.” As Spike and Snips contemplated the implications of Snails helping anypony with homework, the colt continued. “And second, I’m trying to get assigned to the school paper in my next semester. I’m really good with stories with happy endings, and I was hoping you’d let me write a story about what happened?” he smiled at Spike hopefully.

“Umm, sure, I guess.” Spike shrugged at him. He had been doing that a lot lately, now that he thought about it. “When do you wanna do it?”

The colt could barely contain his excitement. “How about in a couple days, so I can talk to the current editor about getting it in the paper this week?”

Spike nodded. “Sounds good. Just come by the library when you wanna do it.” He thought for a second, before grinning. “Or come back here, if I manage to get this job.”

“Whats this about a job?” asked a gravelly voice from behind the door. Startled, they all turned around to find an old stallion behind them, Mr. Widget. While it was obvious he used to be some shade of brown, he had more grey than anything else, and his thin mane was completely silver. The only thing that stood out was his cutie mark, which was a pile of knick knacks and old electronic toys. He looked over the group of youngsters in front of him, and smiled when he recognized Spike, adjusting his glasses. “Spike m’boy, good to see you!” he ushered the boys inside, the other three going off to play while Spike and Mr. Widget talked.

“Can’t thank you enough for taking care of that little scuffle with them rotten wolves at the school yard.” He told Spike. He gestured to a chair in the back room, which seemed to double as a dining room for the apartment upstairs. “My grandson Button was right upset about that whole t’do, but that filly Cheerilee told us you kept ‘im and all them other kids right safe and tidy.” He patted Spike on the back. “Good lad, pr’tectin’ all them other kids like that. Why, m’ daughter was right about ready to send a letter to the princess and ‘ave you knighted!” he laughed to himself over the memory. He gave a little jump, seeming to be struck by an idea. “Oh! Speaking of!” he hobbled over to the staircase behind Spike. “Elaina! Elly, get down here! Bring Button with you!”

“What is it dad?” called a voice from the top of the stairs. Soon enough, down came a light brown mare with a darker brown mane fashioned in a ponytail, and a heart cutie mark with a baby bottle over it. “Is everything o- Oh! Spike!” she started when she saw the young drago. “Wait just a moment, let me get Button!” she hurried back upstairs, as Mr. Widget rolled his eyes.

“Elly, ya durned filly, why didn’t ya bring him down in the first place like I told ya to?” he asked irritably. Still, in a moment she returned with Button in tow. Button Mash was a dark brown earth pony who had two tone brown hair and a video game controller for a cutie mark. What made him stick out, though, was his helicopter beanie which he always seemed to be wearing. Once Button clapped eyes on Spike, he got really excited and ran over to greet him.

“Hey, Spike!” he greeted in his nasally voice. “How’s it feel to be a hero?” he asked.

“Fine, I guess.” Spike shrugged. Button and his mother seemed genuinely shocked at this.

“Fine?!” asked Buttons mom. “You saved all those colts and fillies! Surely you feel some kind of accomplishment?”

“Yeah!” added Button. “I mean, you were like Castlevania in real life!”

Spike gave an exasperated sigh. “You forget guys; I’m friends with the Elements of Harmony, so it’s kind of hard to feel like a hero from behind that reputation. Plus, I’ve already saved the entire Crystal Empire, and the Equestrian Games.” He gave a sheepish grin and rubbed the back of his head. “Really, anything after that is small potatoes.”

“Small potatoes nuthin!” interjected Button vehemently. “You saved us all! And you’re my friend, so that makes you doubly important!”

Hearing the magic words, Spike froze, making sure to aim his snout away from any of the gathered ponies. Unsure of what he was doing, the ponies in the room just looked at him strangely, like he had farted or something. After nothing happened for a moment, Spike shrugged and spoke. “Sorry, there’s a bit of baggage with saying we’re friends these days.” He explained. “Though, I don’t know why it didn’t-” right on cue for the jinx, Spike’s eyes glowed white and he snorted an earthy gold flame straight up in the air. After he calmed down, he found Button and his family were staring at him in wonder, and not a bit of fear. Spike sighed. “That’s what I was talking about.” He explained. “It’s kind of hard to explain, but essentially it’s a really, really good thing. I promise.”

They all relaxed a bit, but still looked a bit wierded out. “Look,” Spike told them, “I’ll explain it all later, but for now, can we get back to the subject at hoof?” they all nodded. “Good. Now, while I appreciate the thought, pal,” he turned to Button specifically “it’s still on a little different rating system.”

“You shouldn’t compare deeds, young’un!” Mr. Widget wagged a forehoof at Spike. “Each one is important all on its own; As far as the people you’ve helped are concerned, you’re just as good as any Elements of Harmony, and they all feel the same way no matter when or how you helped. Remember that.” Spike gulped and nodded at the elder pony, never having put his deeds in perspective like that before. Mr. Widget’s face softened as he continued to speak. “Now, I believe you were talking about getting a job. What are you looking for?”

Spike nodded confirmation and answered “I don’t really have a specific idea. I was just hoping you would have something around the place I could do.”

Mr. Widget leaned back and looked at Spike quizzically. “Son, you’re not off to a good start. You need to have some kind of rounded out idea of what you want to do if you’re going to go lookin’ for a job.”

“Daddy, come now.” Ms. Elaina scolded. “With all he did for Button and all those other ponies, don’t you think you can give him a little lee-way?”

Spike looked on hopefully, and Mr. Widget mulled it over for a moment. Finally, he said “All right, I suppose a hero could deserve a little helpin’ hand.” He considered Spike for a bit and asked “We could use a new pony to fix the machines when they break down. Any mechanical experience?” Spike shook his head, a familiar scene playing out. “How about somethin’ with customer management?” again Spike shook his head, looking more sullen. Mr. Widget sighed before standing up on his old hooves. “I’m sorry son, but I really only need those two things, and not especially bad anyhow.” He placed an apologetic hoof about Spikes shoulders. “I’m afraid I don’t have anything for ya. Though, I gotta ask, why’d you think to come here in the first place?”

Spike sighed. “I’m really good at video games. I figured I could be good at working with them.”

“Well, that’s silly. That’s like sayin’ you can make a pizza ‘cause you like how they taste.” Spike shrunk lower, and Mr. Widget took pity on him. “I tell ya what. As a word of advice, I’ll tell ya the first step of gettin’ a job.” He poked Spike in his armored chest. “Don’t just pick things ya like, instead start with what ya know.”

“Sound’s right to me.” Button’s mom said from behind, trotting up to meet them as the two walked to the exit. “Thanks for trying dad.” She gave her father a little nuzzle. “And you, little guy,” she turned her attention to Spike, and when he looked at her he saw a plate of cookies in her hooves. “I won’t let you leave without a good thank you of my own, and I think I can help you too.” She handed the plate to Spike, who recognized at least three different flavors in the foil wrapped pile of greatness. She giggled when he began to drool slightly. “I’m glad you appreciate them. Now as far as the job search,” he reluctantly turned his attention away from the treats to listen “you might want to try town hall. Most ponies post job openings or small work there, just for ponies-or dragons,” she added, “like yourself. You might try there next.”

She could cook, she had great advice, and Spike had to face it, she was super-hot. He guessed Snips was right; Button’s mom had it goin’ on. Still, though, Rarity was the only mare for his eyes, so, closing his heart to the temptress, he left with a simple “Thanks,” popping a cookie in his mouth.