• Published 29th Apr 2014
  • 375 Views, 9 Comments

Puzzle - memecat101



Puzzle is, as her name suggests, a master of puzzles. But all is not as it seems within her head. (Based off a poem I wrote)

  • ...
 9
 375

Everything Changes

Author's Note:

Sorry for not updating for so long...but here we are, anyway! On with the show.

Gira kept visiting everyday. He would come in with two guards, sit down near Puzzle, and and take out the metal band and screwdriver. They would talk for an hour, then Gira would leave, taking all that he brought with him. During the time that Puzzle was alone, she would sit and look at the broken mirror, watching as her reflection stared back, broken and cold. Her mind was slipping away. And Gira knew it.

Everyday, when Gira arrived, Puzzle would simply stand and turn towards him before sitting back down. Days passed like this. Days turned into weeks,and weeks turned into months,and months turned into a year. One year passed like this. Then finally, she stopped responding. Puzzle's body shut down from lack of nutrients. It turns out that she had slowly been starving herself, over the course of the year. They couldn't figure out why she did it, she was put into a hunger induced coma. She'd lay there, still and lifeless...for eight months. Everything changed. For her, she was in her deeper consciousness, battling an enemy she couldn't see.She was about ready to let it all go.

Gira wouldn't let it, though. Everyday, at the same time, he'd walk into her room in the infirmary, the same two guards in tow. He'd walk in and sit down next to her bed, and take out the metal collar and screwdriver, placing it on her lap. At the time, the nurse would have her sitting, a way for her body to stay in the norm. It seemed natural. So Gira would sit. And talk. Not about much. He'd just sit there, next to her life-less body and talk to her. He pretended she could hear him, it helped.

By the first month, he had already brought her at least 4 different bouquets. He even had the two guards bring her a get-well card. Then, the worst happened. On the eighth month, exact, her heart went on the fritz. She flat-lined, and the doctor's rushed in with the defibrillator, charging her chest almost at once. But they were to late. Her heart had stopped beating. It was over.

Gira stayed by her body through the night, while the doctor's explained the situation to the scientist. They were just outside the door.

"I'm sorry, Sir," the doctor said, closing his eyes. "We couldn't save your subject. Her heart stopped at exactly 4:38 A.M." the doctor's voice was full of remorse. The scientist's eyes widened. He grabbed his walkie-talkie with his magic and ripped it up to his mouth. "All units, report to infirmary room #18! Subject #9 is in code-red condition!" he yelled to all frequencies, his voice playing over all staffs' walkie-talkies.

Three guards rushed to the room, waiting for a signal from the doctor to enter. What they did was terrible...