• Published 29th Apr 2014
  • 375 Views, 9 Comments

Puzzle - memecat101



Puzzle is, as her name suggests, a master of puzzles. But all is not as it seems within her head. (Based off a poem I wrote)

  • ...
 9
 375

Why!?

"Are you sure this is the best thing for her?" a lavender unicorn asked the white stallion doctor before her. The doctor smiled and nodded, still keeping words to a minimum. "Her...ability, could serve as some use to Equestria." the lavender mare gazed on, as if looking through the doctor. A small light blue unicorn filly sat between the two, working hurriedly on a puzzle. She briefly glanced at the older ponies, before drawing her gaze back to the puzzle. "Don't worry..." the doctor said, nudging the filly towards the twin doors. "She'll be fine."

Hello. I am Puzzle. At least...that's what all the people here call me. I don't actually know my name, but I do know this...I'm here for a reason...I need to remember...why I'm here...

"Okay..." a mare in a lab coat said... pressing a button on the control panel before her "Puzzle...we're opening the door to outside. You can go out when you want." A tall steel door in a metal room opened...revealing a small garden of grass. A small light blue unicorn filly stepped out...and walked slowly to the center. The world around her was calm...hiding the inner turmoil inside her mind. Slowly, she sat down...and let her mind leave...

Everything...all my memories are flashing all at once...pictures...sounds...and faces...And all the puzzles...so...many...puzzles...

"Puzzle..." a doctor said, walking into her metal room. "It's time to put down the puzzle..." the small filly sat in a corner, her hooves working heartily at on the puzzle before her. The fillies eyes were blood-shot and drooping, a sure sign of lack on sleep. "Puzzle..." the doctor said, more forcefully. "Put it down." The doctor walked behind the filly and grabbed the puzzle, yanking it from her hooves. "Now, Puzzle!" the doctor said, throwing the puzzle into a nearby corner. The unicorn filly looked up at the doctor, her horn glowing with magic. The doctor was confused for a moment...then the buttons clicked. As did the pain start. She clutched her head, the crushing growing the longer time went on. She let out one bone chilling shriek, and a cracking filled the room. Blood splattered all over the wall, and Puzzle. The other doctors rushed in, dragging the blood soaked filly away from the headless body that was once a living, breathing mare. Puzzle kept her eyes open just long enough to see the body of the mare pass through the doors as it was dragged away...

Why!? Why did I kill that mare? She probably had a family, expecting her to come home after work...what if she had a filly? One filly in Equestria who would never see their mother again...why!? WHY!?

"Okay," the doctor said, starting the tape recorder. "Puzzle, can you tell me what happened?" Puzzle sat across from him, the white walls of the room clashing with her once again light blue coat. "It wasn't me..." she started softly,her eyes blank orbs. "Yes it was Puzzle...you were the only one in the room." Puzzle closed her blank, expressionless eyes and let out a soft sigh. It cut through the silence of the room and hung there, like a towel left to dry. The doctor didn't know what to do, he wasn't the best when it came to filly's especially not ones who've killed somepony. He tried again. "Can you tell me what happened,sweetie? Then you can go back to your room." he said, a fake smile plastered on his face. This did not go unnoticed by the filly. "Why..." she said softly, letting her hair fall into her face to cover her eyes. "Excuse me?" the doctor said politely, still retaining his fake smile. "Why," Puzzle said again, more forcefully. "Do you care...you didn't know her...you don't have to live with the guilt...and you certainly don't have to live with the thought of what you've done." Puzzle pulled a strand of her mane out of her face revealing an blank, pink eye. "Any more questions?" she asked, standing up from her chair. She slowly started to walk towards the door, only stopping when the doctor started to speak again. "Get back here Puzzle. Please..." he said. His smile wavered and his eye twitched. Puzzle glanced over her shoulder for only a second, before continuing towards the door. The doctor's patience wore out and he stopped smiling. "Puzzle, you get back to the table this instant, Missy!" He stood up from his chair and slammed his hoof on the table. Puzzle stopped walking. She was just a few feet from the door when she turned around. Her eyes we closed and her posture showed no sign of fear towards the angry stallion before her.

"No." she said calmly, eyes still closed. The doctors patience snapped and he leaped over the table, grabbing a hoof-ful of the filly's hair and yanking hard. "Get back here, you runt!" he yelled in her face, spit passing onto her light blue coat. Puzzle stood there for a second,her face hidden by the rest of her hair. "Are you listening!?" the doctor screamed, yanking yet again. Puzzle slowly pulled her hair out of her eyes to show them to be a bright, blood red. The doctor got only a squeak out before he crouched over, a pain forcing it's way into his skull. He screamed, blood-curtling as he drew his final breath. The stallion's head imploded, then the blood and bits of brain flew out all around the room. Puzzle stood up, her blue coat once again stained red. She walked towards the exit, a slight smile on her face. Her eyes continued to glow red, until she was back in her room. She never understood what had happened that day.One thing was for certain though...that monster with the red eyes wasn't Puzzle...or was it...?