• Published 25th Mar 2014
  • 3,265 Views, 28 Comments

The Vow - The Princess Rarity



If our love is tragedy, why are you my remedy? If our love is insanity, why are you my clarity? We were strangers, starting out on a journey - never dreaming of what we'd have to go through...

  • ...
12
 28
 3,265

Things my heart used to know, things it yearns to remember.

"Things my heart used to know, things it yearns to remember."

It was like a scene out of a storybook or a priceless painting. Candles lit up the walkway to the Castle, which was shining brilliantly in the dark of the night. Tonight was certainly a memorable evening, and all of Equestria was buzzing. For once, the Royals and the Commoners would mingle together, as one nation. The event was the first of its' kind, called the Grand Galloping Gala.

The widowed Queen, Galactica, and her young daughters, Celestia and Luna had created the event to embrace the nation's uniqueness and equality.

"What are you so afraid of?" Celestia laughed as she looked to her younger sister.

Luna grimaced, and pouted. "I'm not afraid," she argued. "I just don't like crowds. Do we have to talk with everypony?"

"Need I remind you that this was your idea as much as it was mine?" Celestia pointed out.

With a huff, Luna rolled her eyes and stomped off. Celestia just simply ignored her, she was once a moody teenager at one time too, so she could understand her sister's frustration. To be fair, having to socialize and make time for every loyal subject did sound a bit daunting, but also very exciting and anticipating.

Ever since tragedy had struck the nation, it had been solemn, but this was a new beginning.

The gates of the Kingdom were now open, and Equestria could change for the better.

Celestia paraded out onto the balcony of the Castle, and she smiled as she overlooked the breathtaking scenery. Right outside the gates were citizens of the country, eagerly awaiting to meet the Royals - and she was just as anxious to meet them.

She breathed in the crisp air of the Springtime evening and turned around, startled at who she found herself face-to-face with.

"Must you always sneak in?" she sighed.

Discord let out a laugh that echoed off of the Castle walls and was heard from down below on the ground. "Oh, now, my dear, what fun would that be?" he countered. "Are you really expecting me to walk in every time, say hello to that bratty sister of yours and get strange looks from the Guards when I can just snap myself into your bedroom chambers?"

Celestia scoffed, and rolled her eyes, but couldn't deny the small smile on her expression.

"You're horrible sometimes," she murmured.

"Makes me wonder why you put up with me," he teased. "And let me take a wild guess, you're dragging me to this Gala, aren't you?"

Celestia gave a small half-hearted shrug. "I would enjoy it if you would accompany me," she admitted. "But I fear you'll try to entertain everypony and cause to scare them all with just your appearance."

Placing his talon on his chest and letting out a mock gasp, Discord looked away from her. "Why, Tia, I would never!" he said. "And to think, I thought we were close."

"Did I mention you can be a child from time to time as well?" she chuckled, leaning in and placing a small kiss on his lips. "I really must love you for your looks."

He laughed once more, with a smirk, pulling her in closer. The two lovers embraced in the early evening, frozen in time for a solid moment, just enjoying their passionate kiss and believing that there was nothing else in the world except for them.

However, nothing good lasts forever, and Celestia broke away, with a sweet smile.

"You're a lot more mischevious than you'd like to admit, you know that, don't you?" Discord murmured, not even bothering to wipe his usual smirk off of his expression.

"I learned from the best," she said simply.

Stepping back and giving a flourish bow, Discord extended his paw out and met her gaze. "Your Highness, would you allow me the honor of escorting you to the Gala this evening?" he asked.

Celestia smiled, and nodded. "I would love nothing more, my good sir," she laughed.

~ x o x o ~

The night had been absolutely wondrous. It had flowed along beautifully, with the commoners more than ecstatic to meet their rulers, and the previous rebellious hatred completely diminished. Happiness and joy radiated all around, while laughter and warm-spirited chatter echoed throughout the Castle area. It was a new beginning for Equestria, and this was indeed the perfect way to commemorate it.

Now, it had all finally died down. The Gala was over, the residents of the nations had left, and the land was settling down for the evening.

"Well, that was frightfully boring," Discord spoke up as he slithered out of the ballroom right behind Celestia, who gave a tired smile.

She chuckled, shaking her head playfully. "You think that every Royal event is boring," she countered. "To be fair, this was actually quite entertaining. I felt so flattered to finally meet my Loyal Subjects."

They stepped out of the Castle, and into the Gardens, where it was even more beautiful now that the hours of midnight had fallen upon it.

Celestia breathed deep, and twirled around, releasing a sigh of relief.

"I feel so... free," she murmured. "Like there is no longer a weight on my shoulders. For so long, I felt so isolated, but now-" She smiled a priceless sort of smile. "It's finally all falling into place."

"You're a Princess, Tia," Discord pointed out, taking her hoof and placing a kiss on it. "You should never be worried."

She slightly blushed, giving a somewhat bashful smile. "Wouldn't that be wonderful if it was the truth?" she mused. "If only royalty was as glamorous as everypony thought." Her smile faltered, and she looked up to the starlit sky. "To think, there are so many storybook fairytales out there, with happy endings and grand castles and treasures, but never is there the harsh reality of what being a Princess really is."

A silence echoed between the two of them for a solid moment.

While Celestia kept her gaze plastered up above, focusing on the twinkling stars, Discord couldn't tear his sight away from his Princess. In the moonlight, she was more beautiful than ever. Her snow white coat shined, her rosy mane cascaded down in waves, her lavender eyes sparkled, and her small bittersweet smile was adorable. He didn't even pay any attention to her sparkling silver tiara or extravagant golden Gala dress - they didn't mean anything. To him, Celestia could have been dirt poor and she would still be the most amazing creature in existence. No, it wasn't her royal status or any of those things that made him love her.

It was her.

Who she was, every little thing.

He could list all of the things he loved about her, but that would take thousands of years...

...and all he found himself saying was this-

"How would you react if I told you I could give you the storybook ending?" he asked.

Looking away from the sky and back to him, Celestia raised an eyebrow. "I have to say, I would be very interested," she admitted. "What's your offer?"

Discord smiled a different kind of grin for him.

It wasn't tricky or mischevious or comical, it was sincere and caring. He tangled his talons in her mane, and looked deep into her eyes.

"What if I was your Prince Charming?" he asked.

"Oh, that would be wonderful," she said, with a soft laugh. "Imagine the story we would be. The Princess who took time to love the misfit. We could be legendary." She pursed her lips. "But it isn't practical. I could never have that."

"But what if you could have something close to that?" Discord questioned.

"I'd take it, of course," Celestia declared.

"Then-" Discord swallowed, and gave a small half-hearted smile. "Why don't we do that?"

"I beg your pardon?" she inquired, as she tilted her head to the side in confusion.

He held her hooves in his mismatched grasp, never breaking his gaze away from hers. "We're immortal, so we would never have to fear about losing one another," he said. "And our love has never broken, from the day we met we've been inseparable. Best friends as children, and now grown-up, like you said, we are legendary. So why not seal the deal of it?"

Celestia shook with every breath. "So... what are you saying?" she managed to stammer out.

Discord couldn't believe what he was doing.

He was the epitome of chaos, and here he was, awestruck over a female who was close to his opposite, no less. Now, what he was going to say would change everything...

"Marry me?"

If a pin were to drop, everypony in Equestria would be able to hear it. The silence was absolutely deafening as Celestia tried to find words, but she came up with nothing but stuttering.

"Wh-what?" she rasped. "Discord, I'm only seventeen."

"You'll be eighteen in a few months," he said simply.

"Still," she stammered. "Then, I would have full duties. My mother and I have been talking - when I come of age, she's going to retire and I will share the throne with my sister. How could I ever find time to get married? And where would you fit in with all of it?"

A pause happened, only before Celestia shook her head.

"I'm sorry," she declared. "But I have to refuse."

She could've sworn that she saw his heart break, just by looking into his crimson eyes.

Celestia blinked slowly as she felt tears welling up in her eyes, and she held onto his grip. "Please, don't misunderstand me," she choked out. "I love you more than words could say. I really, truly do, and nothing would make me happier than to settle down, have you by my side for eternity, but there is no time for that. I couldn't marry you. For now, all you'll have to accept is my promise that my heart will belong to you only. Not a single soul could make you smile as you do. My world would be so dark without your light. I don't want to imagine what life without you would be like, nor do I ever want to experience it."

Discord's expression stayed emotionless, so she leaned in, and softly kissed him.

"Do you still love me?" she whispered.

He nodded, and kissed her back, wiping away one of her tears that had escaped.

His smile was broken as they parted. "Nothing could keep me away," he said.

-- PRESENT DAY --

Celestia hesitated, and let out a sigh. "It pained me so much to see you so hurt," she admitted.

Discord gave a small, nonchalant shrug. "I suppose it was for the better," he mused. "After all, you did have valid reason to say no. At least you never left me."

"And I stuck to my promise," she said slowly. "I never did love anypony else. A thousand years, I was brokenhearted, but I tried to heal myself. It worked for a bit, but your statue always haunted me. I don't know why I didn't move it."

Her gaze flickered up, and she noticed the conflicted emotion in his eyes.

He breathed deep, kissing her forehead. "You have more to tell, don't you?" he said.

She gave a small nod, and he beckoned her to go on.

"Do you remember the night you had to be encased in stone?" she said, almost inaudibly.

He shook his head, almost somberly.

Celestia felt her heartstrings tug. "Then it looks like I have another story to tell," she sighed.