• Published 22nd Mar 2014
  • 2,044 Views, 13 Comments

Memories of a Rainbow - xxhellokittyxx



All her life Rainbow always dreamed of becoming a Wonder bolt and she finally has a chance to become one but something goes terribly wrong.

  • ...
6
 13
 2,044

Chapter 1

“OH RAINBOW DASH!” Pinkie shouted with excitement from outside Dash's home.

Dash poked her head out from her bedroom window and waved to her pink pony friend below. “Hey Pinkie Pie what’s up?”

“Ooooh, nothing I just wanted to say good luck today on your addition to becoming an official Wonderbolt!” Pinkie then pulls out a party cannon from out of thin air and proceeds to pull on the cannon's string sending an explosion of confetti and streamers through the air.

Dash chuckles as a green streamer gently land's on her snout and blow's it off.

“Thanks, Pinkie I was starting to get really nervous about my audition but seeing you here made me feel a little better. Hold on... Pinkie how did you get up here, and how are you not falling through the clouds?”

“Silly Dashie don’t you remember us coming to your young flyers competition? Twilight used her magic on us so we can walk on clouds.” Pinkie Pie starts to bounce up and down on the fluffy clouds.

“Oh right, but how did you get up here then?”

“Twilight's hot air balloon.” Pinkie smiled widely.

“Oh.. yeah.. sorry I guess I'm still a little out of it. I just can’t seem to focus on anything but the competition. Now that I know my friends will be there for me I'm sure ill be fine. Speaking of where is every pony?”

“Well Applejack is outside the stadium selling her delicious apples, Fluttershy is practicing with her singing birds for the opening performance, Spike and Twilight went to go talk to the Princesses, and Rarity is making adjustments to your new outfit for your performance.” Pinkie Pie started jumping up and down on the clouds excitedly.

"That makes sense at least I got to see you Pinkie thank you for coming."

“Aww it's no problem and you are going to do so great I love watching you do your daring tricks, and stunts I have no doubt in my mind that they will accept you.”

“Thanks, Pink.” Rainbow flies down next to her friend and puts a hoof on her shoulder.

“No problem Dashie, well I better go and try to get a good seat for us I'll see you later Dashie!!”

“See ya’ pink!”

Rainbow dash watched as her pink friend bounced happily on the fluffy clouds all the way to the entrance of the stadium. Dash took a shaky deep breath and flew behind the stadium where the competitors are to wait. After Dash signs in and receives her number, she walks into her dressing room where she would find the outfit Rarity had made for her. To her surprise she found Rarity waiting for her in the room with the outfit hidden behind a purple curtain.

Rarity sang as she welcomed Dash.

“Hello, darling! I just got done finishing your outfit, and I'm sure you will find it to your liking.” Rarity said as she brushed her main to the side.

“Awesome I cant wait to see it.”

“Yes, yes but first let me put some finishing touches on it."

Rarity disappeared behind the curtain and started humming a song to herself as she finished the outfit.

As Rainbow waited she pulled a Daring Do book from her saddlebag, and started reading it. She didn't have much of a chance to get to the next chapter before Rarity called for her.

"It's done Rainbow Dash!"

Rarity stepped out from the curtain and positioned Dash on the spot where she would get a full view of the outfit.

"Now if you will just stand right here, and close your eyes, and on the count of three open them."

Rarity stepped over to where a golden-colored rope hung from the curtain and started counting down.

"1....2.....3!!!"

Rarity tugged on the gold-colored rope and revealed her masterpiece.

“Well, what do you think?”

Rarity stood next to the outfit with a huge smile on her face, and her eyes sparkling.

Rainbow dash opened her eyes excited to see her outfit, but to her surprise, it was an exact replica of an official Wonderbolt uniform. Rainbow's smile faded as she looked over at Rarity.

“It needs to be 20% cooler.”

Rarity’s heart skipped a beat as her mouth dropped to the floor. Rarity spoke in a panicked voice.

“Don't you like it darling? I thought you might like that you would look like you were an official Wonderbolt, and I worked so hard on it and… and… I thought you would love it.”

Rarity’s eyes started to tear up, but before a tear could drop Rainbow started to laugh and fall back to the ground.

“HA HA!! I got you good Rarity!”

“Wha- whatever do you mean Rainbow dash?” Rarity sniffled.

“I was kidding around with you I love the outfit you made me it looks so awesome it really will make me look like an official Wonderbolt now, and the best part is that one of my best friends made it for me thanks Rarity I owe you one.”

Rainbow walked up to Rarity and gave her a hug.

“That's a relief darling I really believed you hated it, but I'm glad that you like it.”

“I sure do, mind if I try it out now?”

“Not at all dear it's yours now do whatever you like with it.”

Rainbow shrieked in excitement, but quickly cleared her thoughts and tried to stay cool.

“Awesome I’ll be right back.”

Rarity giggled as Rainbow took her new uniform to the dressing room and slipped it on, she then took a step back and looked in the mirror, she looked just like a Wonderbolt. Her heart swelled with pride and her eyes started to water. This was her childhood dream and seeing herself in uniform made it all the more real to her. She worked so hard to get to this point in her life that she could barely contain herself. She stepped out from the curtain and stepped up on the catwalk.

Rarity watched in amazement as Dash struck multiple poses in her new outfit.

“Oh, darling you look simply amazing in that outfit it fits so well on you.”

“Yeah!! Now I look 20% more awesome. We should go show every pony else the totally amazing new outfit you made me.”

Rarity's eyes started to sparkle at the thought of her being recognized by an important pony who is interested in the costume she had made. Rarity jumped up in excitement towards Rainbow.

"What an absolutely fabulous idea Dash was must hurry and show off my-" Rarity giggled

"I mean your new outfit."

Dash nodded in agreement and laughed.

"Come on Rarity let's go."

Rarity and Dash walked out of the dressing room and met up with every pony at the entrance of the arena.

“Howdy there sugar cube how ya feeling?”

"Hey Applejack I'm feeling pretty good, but ill be honest I'm also a little nervous."

“Awe shuck's Dash there's nothing to worry about you’ll do just fine, and with that there snazzy new outfit you are a shoo-in.”

Rainbow rubbed the back of her mane and blushed from her friend's compassion and total confidence for her.

“Oh, Rarity you did an amazing job. I especially love the way it already makes Rainbow look like an official member,” Fluttershy said in a hushed voice.

“Oh it was nothing really darling, but I must say I did do a fantastic job. I just wish I could have added my own personal touch but I know how much it would mean if I kept the original design.”

“I cant wait to see you perform out there Rainbow, and Princess Celestia wanted me to tell you that you will no doubt do amazingly, and be a fantastic addition to the Wonderbolts” Said Twilight

Dashes eye grew wide at the thought of Princess Celestia rooting for her.

“WHOA! She really said that about me? OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH, OH MY GOSH!!”

“Of course.. we all think you will do fantastically out there.” Twilight smiled.

Rainbow looked at all her friends and started to tear up.

“You guys are the best friends I could ever ask for. I don't know what I would do without you all.”

Rainbow dash then gave all her friends a hug and started to feel more confident in herself than ever before. She no doubt had what it took to win not only for herself but for her friends as well. Just as they let go of one another horns started to play signaling the start of the competition.

“Come on girls let's go meet up with Pinkie Pie I heard she was able to get front row seats. Good luck to you Dash I'm sure you will do fantastically.” Said Twilight as she walked through the cloud gates.

“Yes, and darling do be careful out there, I would hate to see you get hurt and also ruin your new outfit.”

"Don't worry Rarity I won't get a scratch on it."

Rarity smiled and trotted close behind Twilight.

“I'll be cheering you on Dash. I've been practicing on my cheer. Watch.”

Fluttershy took a few steps back and took a huge breath in and let out a small cheer.

“Woohoo..”

Dash smiled at her friend's attempt but was happy that she had been trying.

“Thanks, Fluttershy that was really good, and I can't believe you practiced for me.”

Fluttershy blushed and went through the gate.

“No matter what happens Dash we will always be there for you now go on sugar cube get going or you will be late.”

“Oh yeah see you later girls! I'll do my best!”

Dash jumped in the air and flew past the gate and into the waiting room where she will get one last medical check-up, once she was finished getting her checkup she was cleared of any health issues and was well enough to compete, she sat down on a cloud chair and looked around to see if she knew any pony, she noticed a dark grey stallion with a light blue mane standing on the other side of the room. Dash whispered to herself.

“Thunderlane?”

Rainbow laughed at the thought of Thunderlane becoming a Wonderbolt and decided he was not some pony to worry about. She looked around some more and spotted some more ponies she knew, Flitter, Cloudchaser, Cloudkicker, and Derpy. Not much of the competitor-type ponies, Dash then gives up the search and starts to stretch out her wings. Confident in her easy victory.

All of a sudden a voice cracked on the intercom and called number one to the arena. Dash looked over at the starting platform and saw a pure white mare with a cherry-colored mane step up, and readied herself for a horn to sound for her to start. Dash didn't recognize her and stepped over to the viewing glass to watch her mystery opponent. As soon as the horn sounded the mare jumped straight up into the air and performed her stunts she was fast.. too fast… Rainbows heart started racing thinking that she would not be able to compete with the unknown mares speed, she shook her head and thought to herself.

"What am I so worried about I'm the fastest flyer in all of Ponyville. No! In all of Equestria!! She's nothing compared to me."

The mare then finished her routine with a perfect swan dive onto the platform below and took a bow. The crowd cheers and throws flowers at the pony's hooves.

Dash watched closely as each pony performed their stunts. Some were super fast, some were strong, and some could kick 1000 clouds in under a minute. Dash hadn't realized how tough her opponents would be, but she was more determined to win than ever she loved a good challenge. After about half an hour the announcer once again called a number, number 15 Rainbow held her breath and looked at her number it was her turn to perform. She slowly walked towards the platform and cleared her mind.

“Ok Rainbow you can do this nothing to be afraid of this is your chance to show the Wonderbolts what you've got. Win or lose I will always have my friends there to support me.”

Rainbow stepped on the platform and out to the arena the sun was shining bright and there were little to no clouds left from the other contestants. She had little to work with, but wasn't worried about it, she looked around for her friends and soon found them sitting next to the Princess. She laughed as she saw pinkie start to hold up a huge banner with the words “GO RAINBOW DASH!!” written on it. She then looked at the judging table where the Wonderbolt's were seated they seemed impressed with Rainbows outfit and smiled at her with interest. She especially noticed Soarin staring at her intensively and started to blush. Rainbow also started blushing and turned away from the judges and readied herself on the other side of the platform putting on her flight goggles and waited for the horn to sound, she cleared her mind once again and focused on the open sky. She crouched down low and held her wing's up ready to lift her into the sky above. She could hear her heartbeat loudly in her chest, and her legs twitching with excitement. Then a loud horn rang out sending adrenaline surging through her veins, she pushed off the platform leaving a cloud of dust behind her.

Rainbow did all kinds of flips and tricks in and around the stadium, she spun clouds round and round and cut them into intricate designs with quick swipes of her powerful wings. She then formed a small rainbow-colored tornado and blew it towards the judge's the tornado burst into rainbow-colored confetti that seemed to gently fall like snow around the judges. They stood from their chairs and watched as the snow-like confetti fell around them. She had them right where she wanted them, a few more tricks and she would be in for sure. She then flew into a waterfall that was flowing right next to the starting platform she flew so fast that a mist of water trailed right behind her and when she suddenly stopped to land on the platform the water splash against the back of her mane and caused a small rainbow glow to form around her as the sun beamed on her and made a striking pose. The crowd roared, but she wasn't done yet she had one more stunt to perform a stunt no pony else could do but her. The Sonic Rainboom. The crowd of ponies still cheering in amazement and with that Rainbow gathered all her strength and once again launched herself into the sky she flew so high that she could hardly breathe the air growing thinner as she climbed. She stopped and looked down below at the stadium Rainbow breathed heavily, and she cleared her mind once more and pulled her wings in by her side. Dash started to rocket back down towards the stadium. She could have sworn she could almost hear Fluttershy cheering for her over the gasps of ponies watching her plummet. Rainbow stretched out her body making it as thin as possible and held her hooves out in front to help guide her descent to the earth below. The wind stinging her face making her eyes water, her lips forcefully being pulled back causing her to drool. She felt the sound barrier starting to break and readied her wings to lift her back into the sky breaking the barrier. She counted.

“5...4...3...2...1..NOW!!”

Rainbow spread her wings out and pull up, but she was going too fast and when the force of the wind pushed up against her wings it pushed too hard. Dash heard a loud snap coming from her left-wing. She cried out an ear-shattering scream and fell towards the earth. Every pony watching was in horror as they too heard the loud snap of Rainbows wing and gut-wrenching scream. Paralyzed from shock to react even the Wonderbolt's didn't move a muscle. However, a sudden yellow blur bolted from the stadium seats and headed straight for Dash. Fluttershy was the first to react when she heard the snap of Dash's wing. She was followed immediately by Twilight both trying desperately to reach Rainbow in time, but they were nowhere near as fast as Dash was, and it would be impossible to catch up in time. Fluttershy's heart raced and tears began to form in her eyes. Fluttershy shouted to Twilight.

“TWILIGHT USE YOUR MAGIC TO MAKE ME FLY FASTER!!”

Twilight didn't know a spell to make them fly faster but was determined to try anyway. Her horn began to glow and Twi strained to make her friend's desperate request come to pass but was unsuccessful. She felt her heart sink and tears ran down her face.

"DO SOMETHING!!" Fluttershy cried.

Twilight felt anger surge through her and she wiped her face and came to a stop. She felt her power grow in her and felt a spark run through her body. Her eyes glowed white and she focused all her attention on Fluttershy and her horn began to glow brightly again and zapped Fluttershy with her magic. Fluttershy made a slight yelp from the sting of her magic but was now flying faster. She flapped her wings inching closer and closer to Dash. Fluttershy could see the ground getting closer from behind her friend and screamed.

“RAINBOW DASH GRAB ON TO ME PLEASE!!”

Rainbow didn't move a muscle her eyes were closed and her body limp. She had passed out after her wing had snapped the pain of her injury overwhelming. Fluttershy could see the bones jutting through Rainbow's skin and was profusely bleeding. Fluttershy flapped her wings harder, and faster. She never flew this fast before it felt like her wings were about to be ripped from her sides. She was inches from Rainbows hoof, tears flew from Fluttershy's eyes she didn't care if she hit the ground as well she wasn't about to abandon her friend. As a last attempt to reach Rainbow she stretched out her hoof brushing against Rainbow's fur, but before she could grab Dash, Fluttershy was suddenly stopped by Twilight's magic. She looked up at Twilight and saw her crying.

"TWILIGHT WHAT ARE YOU DOING?! LET ME GO!"

Fluttershy struggled and tried to escape from Twilight's magical grip she turned and watched as Rainbow plummeted the last 15 feet towards the ground time seemed to slow, and all Fluttershy could do was watch in horror as Rainbow crashed down into the earth. Fluttershy screamed in pain and horror.

“NOOO!! RAINBOW DASH!!! NOOO!!”