• Published 22nd Mar 2014
  • 2,044 Views, 13 Comments

Memories of a Rainbow - xxhellokittyxx



All her life Rainbow always dreamed of becoming a Wonder bolt and she finally has a chance to become one but something goes terribly wrong.

  • ...
6
 13
 2,044

Chapter 3

Fluttershy tossed and turned in her bed her head violently thrashing back and forth throughout her nightmare. She was flying fast towards Rainbow her heart racing and adrenalin pumping through her body her lungs burning from her violent breathing to catch up to Dash. She inched closer to Dash but couldn't fly any faster she flapped her wings harder and harder than ever but it didn't work it felt like she couldn't move it seemed as though she was being held back by something but didn't know what. She never took her eyes off of Dash not even for a split second. Fluttershy screamed at Dash.

"DASH GRAB ON TO ME!! I CANT REACH YOU!!"

No response came from Dashe's mouth, her eyes were closed shut. Fluttershy not giving up tried stretching out her hoof farther to Dash she could now feel Dashe's coat and tried grabbing her hoof but Fluttershy stopped when she noticed something. Dashes coat and mane color were slowly fading away from her body, Fluttershy's eyes widened at what she saw next not only was Dash losing her vibrant colors but her body was now covered in blood and was torn to shred's and her mane and tail were splattered with blood. Fluttershy tried to scream at the sight of her friend's transformation, but no sound came out. Then Rainbows eyes began to open their magenta color also stripped away from them, and were now pure white and had trails of blood drip from them she spoke to Fluttershy in a broken disembodied tone as her jaw hung in an unnatural position it had been dislocated from its socket.

"Why didn't you save me Fluttershy? I thought we were best friends? Why did you let me fall?" Rainbow said in a gurgling voice as her mouth pooled with blood.

Fluttershy's heart stopped and was frozen with fear. Dash then spread out her broken wings and slowly started flying towards Fluttershy. Fluttershy stopped, and slowly backed up from the approaching pony.

"I-I tried to save you Dash... I really did... I had you in my reach but-.."

Dash interrupted Fluttershy and yelled.

"THEN WHY DIDN'T YOU SAVE ME!? I'VE ALWAYS BEEN THERE FOR YOU I PROTECTED YOU FROM HARM'S WAY, BUT I GUESS THAT MEANS NOTHING TO YOU!! THAT I MEAN NOTHING TO YOU!!"

Rainbow's eyes now turned blood red and she seemed to double in size Rainbow charged towards Fluttershy, Fluttershy screamed in horror unable to move as Dash came closer and closer to her. Dash's mouth hung open wide as it was about to swallow Futtershy whole, but was startled awake from a loud crack of lighting. The roar of the crash shook the window violently Fluttershy breathed heavily and her heart pounded against her chest she was drenched in sweat and had tears running down her face. She started to cry and curled up in a ball. She thought to herself.

"Dash is right it's all my fault that she's hurt and I could have saved her.."

Fluttershy cried to herself for what felt like an eternity before she sat up in her bed and wiped away her tears and forced herself to forget the nightmare, but she couldn't forget what Dash had said to her. Her words ringing in her mind reminding her of her failure.

"Why didn't you save me Fluttershy? Why did you let me fall?"

She shook her head getting rid of the echoing voice in her mind and got up out of her bed. Fluttershy knew she couldn't go back to sleep again even if she wanted to. She opened her door and looked up and down the pitch-black hallway. She shuttered fearing she might see her dream stalking her somewhere in the shadows. She took a step forward out into the hallway and stared at the two rooms in front of her. She couldn't recall which one was AJ's. She looked closely at the symbols on the doors and tried to make out which one had three apples on it. She couldn't quite make them out and decided to choose the door on the left. She put her hoof on the handle trying carefully not to wake up any pony, but a loud clap of thunder startled her and she barged straight into the room and closed the door behind her. Her eyes widened when she saw Big Mac standing in the corner of the room next to his window. She spoke in a shaky voice.

"Oh! I- I'm so sorry Big Mac I didn't mean to come into your room and wake you, I was just trying to find AJ's room but I-..."

Big Mac held up a hoof to Fluttershy and spoke.

"Don't worry about it I wasn't even sleeping, and AJ's room is right next door."

"Oh thank you."

Fluttershy turned back to the door and put her hoof on the nob, but stopped when she remembered the dark hallway. Big Mac noticed her hesitation.

"What seems to be the problem Fluttershy?"

Fluttershy hid her face away from the stallion with her hair. Big Mac looked at the mare with concern.

"I- I had a terrible nightmare... about what happened today and I can't go back to sleep."

Big Mac's heart ached for her. Applejack had told him all about what happened. He had never seen his sister so torn down about something it killed him to see them suffering. He walked over to Fluttershy and gently rested his hoof on her head stroking her hair softly.

"I'm sorry Fluttershy. I think you better stay with me then. Besides AJ is fast asleep and there's no point in waking her up. You can sleep on my bed and I'll sleep on the floor next to ya' is that alright with you?"

Fluttershy looked up at the stallion and smiled.

"Yes, that's fine."

Big Mac then took his hoof away and watched as Fluttershy gently flew onto his bed and lay down on the soft mattress. He grabbed the sheets and placed them over her.

"Good night Fluttershy."

"Um... Big Mac, I change my mind."

Big Mac stood up in confusion.

"Whatchu talking about?"

Fluttershy fiddled with her hair nervously and quietly said.

"Do you mind sleeping next to me? I think I'll be able to sleep better knowing you are right beside me."

Big Mac didn't respond for a while he looked as though he didn't know what to say next, but he figured there would be no harm in it.

"Eeyup, whatever makes you more comfortable."

Fluttershy then scooted over on the other side of the bed and lay back down facing the opposite direction of Big Mac. She felt the bed sink when Mac jumped on he then covered both of them with the covers. Fluttershy felt more relaxed and comfortable with Big Mac laying next to her she felt safe. She was about to close her eyes, and fall into a deep sleep when another clap of thunder shook the entire house. Fluttershy shrieked and turned towards Big Mac and held on to him. Big Mac didn't try to shake her off he just wrapped his arms around her and held her close. He whispered to her.

"Don't worry I got ya'." Big mac then looked down at Fluttershy and stroked her mane again.

Fluttershy held her tears back trying to stay calm, but couldn't. She buried her face in his soft coat and let her emotions consume her.

"I couldn't save her Big Mac... I failed Rainbow and now she might not make it..." Fluttershy continued to sob, and Big Mac tried his best to comfort her as he did for Applejack.

"Now, now you did everything you could Aj told me to tried your hardest, and I believe her. You shouldn't be so hard on yourself. You gotta focus on being there for Dash and hope she pulls through."

Fluttershy could smell the sweet scent of apples come off of Big Mac's fur and could hear his heartbeat slowly in his chest, and soon felt her own heart slow and start to beat along with his. She started to calm down and sniffled.

"You're right Big Mac I should be putting on a brave face, but I cant you don't understand what it's like to lose someone, and it is all your fault."

Big Mac took a deep breath.

"I do know what it's like to lose someone. Two in fact."

"What?" Fluttershy looked up at Big Mac confused.

"It's true. Aj and I were just teenagers and Applebloom was still a foal. Our parents were killed by timberwolves and it was all my fault. You see we went out for a family picnic over by the ever-free forest me and Applejack were playing kickball and I kicked the ball into the forest. Aj went to go get our parents to get it but I was impatient and went to go look for it myself. I found it lying at the bottom of a hill and went down to grab it. That's when I realized I heard something coming up from behind me. I panicked and started to run for my life but I tripped over a tree root and sprained my leg and I couldn't move. That's when I saw the wolves from behind the tall trees I didn't know what to do I thought I wouldn't make it. Then all of a sudden my father jumped from the bushes and started bucking at the timberwolves to stay away from me."

Big Mac cleared his throat and finished his story.

"That's when my mother grabbed me and started running to the edge of the forest. Once I was safe she went back into the forest to help my father. That's when I heard my mother scream we never saw them again after that. We sent search parties and found nothing the only thing we found was our father's cowboy hat."

Fluttershy gasps.

"That means Applejack's hat belongs to your dad?"

"Eeyup." Big Mac swallows hard holding back his pain.

"I do know what it's like to lose someone and have it be all your fault. I've lived with this guilt all my life and I would punish myself every day. Applejack made me realize that punishing myself won't fix nothin. So don't blame yourself for this unfortunate accident. It won't do any good to you, Rainbow Dash or yer friends."

Fluttershy had forgotten all about her nightmare and focused all her attention on Big Mac. She never really knew the stallion or talked to him much for she was always shy around stallions, she thought they looked big and scary, but this was different she didn't feel that way at all. She gently touched his cheek.

"I'm sorry I misjudged you. What you went through must have been horrible Applejack is right you shouldn't blame yourself for what happened." She moved her hoof back and lowered her eyes. "I'm sorry I have never taken the time to speak with you before your a good friend, and I appreciate you helping me."

Big Mac smiled.

"Anytime Fluttershy. Let's try and get some rest now you have a big day tomorrow. Goodnight Fluttershy."

Fluttershy tiredly smiled and wished Big Mac goodnight and closed her eyes and drifted into a deep sleep.

Author's Note:

Sorry this chapters shorter than the others kinda had problems with what to add in it. If you would like to suggest anything or add anything to it please feel free to comment below.