• Published 19th Mar 2014
  • 998 Views, 32 Comments

Gems and Lilies - HunterofStealth



Amethyst is a pony who lived in the busy streets of Manehatten, but moves to Ponyville to become a jeweler. In her new town, she finds many new things in her life that she had never experienced before.

  • ...
1
 32
 998

Prologue

The sun peeked up through my curtains waking me up from a heavy, dreamless sleep. Sitting up in my bed, I groaned, "Ugh. Another great day in Manehattan. Forcing myself to get up, I dragged my hooves to my mirror across my room. It was moderately furnished with a wooden floor, several rugs, and a few chairs. To the far side of the room was my bed with my desk and wardrobe on the wall closest to the door. I picked up my brush, fixing my lavender mane to its usual position covering most of my face.

After I finished fixing myself up for the day, I walked out of my room to the kitchen to make some breakfast. I grabbed the bread in my magic, putting two slices in the toaster, feeling too lazy to cook something. I heard a noise from the door to the kitchen and I saw my mom stumble in, still looking a bit sleepy with her mane out of place.

"Morning, Mom," I called out, waiting for my toast to be ready.

"Oh, good morning, my little gem," Mom said as I grimaced at her pet name for me. Walking to a nearby cupboard to pull out some cereal, she asked, "What are you making?"

"Toast. And do you really need to call me that name? I'm a bit old for it," I complained.

My mom looked at me as she poured her cereal, "Oh fine, Amethyst."

"Pfft, that's what you say every time..." I grumbled as my toast popped. I grabbed it in my magic and put it on my plate on the small table where my mom was already seated. "I've been thinking..." I started to say after taking a bite out of my toast.

"This again?" Mom looked up from her bowl at me.

"Yes," I said, "You know I don't have any friends here. I hate it here. And besides, sure I help you with running the store now, but you can run it yourself. You've ran it before I could even help."

"It's just that since your dad passed away..." She paused for a few seconds. "Since, he passed away. you're all that I have that reminds me of him."

"Mom. I know, it's just that... Well you know that I don't like it in Manehattan." I said, looking up from my breakfast. "I'd rather be someplace... well not like Manehattan. I don't want to be in a big city, I'd rather be someplace calmer." I paused to think for a second. "Like Ponyville. You always told me about it and how you used to live there as a filly."

Mom sighed, "Fine," She said giving up. "It would probably do you some good to get out in the world too. You've been your own mare for several years now."

"Wow. I didn't expect you to finally give up on this..." I started to say before mom hushed me.

"I know. But I've been thinking about it too. It'll probably be a good experience for you to get out of Manehattan. When are you planning on leaving?" Mom asked me across the table.

I thought for a second before replying, "Well... Since you're fine with it now... Tomorrow?"

"So soon... I was hoping that you would leave later," She said to me with a frown. "Well, let's at least have dinner one last time before you leave for Ponyville."

I groaned, "Do we really have to eat out?"

Mom chuckled. "Oh come on. It's the last time your mom's going to see you for a while."

Sighing, I replied, "Fine. I'll go pack up then." I finished off my toast and put my plate in the sink for it to be cleaned later and almost got out of having to clean it when mom called out to me.

"Hey! It might be your last day here, but clean up your dishes." I groaned as I started to trudge my way back to the sink.

"Oh, buck me," I mumbled.

"What was that," Mom glanced at me in the way that only a mother scolded a child can do.

"Um, n-nothing... I-didn't-say-anything," I blurted out as my eyes shot wide.

__________

The next morning, we arrived at the Manehattan train station and I purchased my ticket from the booth near the entrance. It read 'Railway 9' along with the time my train would be departing. It wasn't far off, only twenty minutes or so. Mom led the way as I walked alongside her. I tried to weave my way through the crowds of ponies as I trotted to my destination. We escaped past the swarms and got to the railway my ticket said to go to. Unlike the crowds behind us, the railway had close to nopony around. Just a white mare sitting near a corner drawing and several others trying to keep themselves busy.

"Finally free of those crowds," I said, feeling glad. Setting my saddlebags on the ground next to me, I turned to face mom. "Well, I guess that this is good-bye for now."

Mom started to tear up as she said, "I'm going to miss you. Make sure you write to me." She pulled me into a hug.

"I will Mom. I promise," I replied through her hug.

"Make sure you tell me about everything that happens. Especially if you meet that stallion, you better write to me about it," She said to me as she broke the hug.

"Mom," I whined. "Do you really have to say that... In public?"

"Oh fine," She took a deep breath. "Okay. I'm alright now. I'm going to miss you, my little gem." I frowned. "Make sure that you stay safe. And remember, I'm always here in Manehattan."

A loudspeaker announced the train's arrival and I turned my head around to see it pull up to the station. Picking up my saddlebags, I turned to Mom one last time and hugged her, saying, "Good bye. I promise that I'll write to you."

"Good bye, Amethyst. I love you. Make sure that you stay safe," Mom said back, breaking our hug. I turned towards the train and entered it, waving back to Mom with a hoof. She waved back as she started to tear up once again. I put on a strong face for her and took a seat near the back of the train car I went into.

I took a deep breath at the prospect of a new start in my new home.

As the doors closed, the train's loudspeakers announced, "Now departing for Ponyville." I looked out the window towards the station as the train pulled out, speeding along to my destination. My new home.