• Published 17th Mar 2014
  • 3,504 Views, 221 Comments

The Abduction of Luna - 97xxfastbike



Luna is abducted from the Palace by four ponies hoping to exchange her for a large ransom.

  • ...
10
 221
 3,504

Before the Dawn

“Pine boughs, brilliant! It was starting to smell like morning-breath and unwashed-princess in here.” Tiara said as Millstone began to trample the pine needles he had spread on the floor. It was entirely his idea. After he had bathed, he walked in with a bundle of evergreen branches and –without a word or explanation – used them to carpet the cave’s entrance.

Millstone said nothing in response to her, and offered little more than a head nod to acknowledge what she had said. Methodically, he kept at his task, stamping the green pine needles to bruise them and release their fragrance.

Tiara’s heart twisted in her chest. She knew he was doing this to mask the smell of his urine. The fact that he thought about the lingering odor and how he could cover it suggested to her that this was by no means the first time he had to hide his disgrace, and swallow his shame. She couldn’t help but wonder at how many times before he had covered-up his panic attacks in like manner at home so that nopony would know. Nopony but him. And he silently carried the humiliation, but always living with the fear of being discovered.

“I’m sure that’s good enough. Come inside and lie down!” Tiara coaxed loudly enough for him to hear her near the cave mouth, “you can’t tell me that you aren’t cold and tired.”

“I’m not tired.” He answered her. From the sound, she guessed him to be at the midpoint switchback. She thought his answer was to put her off, but mere moments later, he briskly walked back into the cave breathing heavily. “But, I think I’ve had enough of that entrance for tonight.”

Tiara smiled, and stood up from his bedroll where she had lain. “Come lie down, I’ve warmed your side of the bed.” She said enticingly as she stepped to the side and forward so she could run her muzzle across his cheek to nibble behind his ear.

At first, he seemed as amenable to her directions and affections as he had always been. He closed his eyes, and took deep breaths to relax. But then, he abruptly pulled his head back.

“What is it?” Tiara asked and glanced suspiciously over at Luna’s unconscious form.

“Nothing, I just almost forgot to check my hooves for pine tar.” He answered, as he lowered his head and lifted each hoof for inspection. After a few scrapes of his fore hooves on the granite floor and another check, he stood up straight and proud. “Fortunately, the trees weren't putting out fresh sap yet. It looks like I’m clean.”

Tiara wilted behind her smile at seeing his satisfaction in a successful cover-up. She wondered again how much practice he had had as a colt. All those years of hiding his moments of weakness from his own family. Did any of them ever suspect a thing? And did he ever feel safe at home?

“Yes, I’d say that you are ready for bed.” She nipped at his cheek and gently tugged to guide him forward, just like she had done so many times before. To her surprise, he turned his head toward her and nipped back at her cheek.

“Hey! What are you doing?” Tiara laughed and stepped away, her face flushed with heat.

“What do you mean? You started it.” Millstone chuckled and stepped up close to her.

Tiara’s eyes grew wide and her smile faded. There was no doubt left in her mind that he had fallen for her, and her heart thumped approvingly in her chest at her realization. She held her breath as he lowered and tilted his head, moved past her lips, slid across and down her cheek, to under her chin. A sigh escaped and her knees went weak as she felt his hot breath caressing the soft spots of her neck. In response, she sucked in a breath, closed her eyes, and silently begged him to stop teasing her and make contact!

You must not pursue what cannot be. You can’t be with him, and he doesn't love you, he loves the lies you told him! Tiara grimaced, hating the part of her that saw the inevitable, hopeless end for their relationship. However, her mind would not be dissuaded, and stubbornly circulated her earlier conclusions and demanded that she stop encouraging this behavior at once!

“Ohh…hhhum!” Tiara succumbed to a timely yawn and used it as her excuse to pull back, inwardly cursing her mind for interfering with her heart’s desires. “I think that I had better make good use of this time while Luna is out and go to sleep.” She turned away from him and laid down on her mat, forcing herself to not look back at him while she did.

Much to her relief, he laid down next to her, his body making contact with hers as he always had. Tiara could have lept for joy, even as she chided herself for that vain rush of excitement. Her inner tumult was either going to make their days more interesting, or confusing. In that moment, she struck a truce with her warring halves; she decided that she wouldn’t allow anything serious, but that she could enjoy the contact. Exactly what that meant, she didn’t know, and at that moment, she didn’t care. She would figure it out as she went along.

“Oh, you are cold!” Tiara exclaimed with a shiver and magically pulled their blanket up to cover them both and snuggled against him, hoping that sleep would not find her quickly.

“Silver?”

Tiara swore silently. Why did he have to call her that name now? “Yes?”

“It’s going to be dawn soon.” He sounded like he had stated that obvious fact to build up to making his point.

“Yes?” Tiara inquired gently, not wanting to be discouraging.

“That means this is the start of the third day since we…” His voice trailed off, apparently unwilling to speak aloud their crime.

“Since I abducted Princess Luna.” Tiara finished the statement for him. “Yes?” She raised the tone of her voice, trying to hasten him to his point.

He took a deep breath. “How much longer do you think that we can go on like this?”

Finally, there was the question he wanted to ask. Tiara swore internally again. That was a very good question. Though, she wondered if he had the same implications in mind as she did. “I don’t know,” Tiara sighed. Frustration was building on so many levels. Her brief fantasy holiday had to end. Her team needed her back on the job. “But, there is something serious that I have to talk to you about.”

“About what?”

Tiara raised her head and looked at Luna, still lying where she had left her, unconscious and motionless. Yet for some reason, she didn’t feel safe. She turned her head toward Millstone and whispered softly next to his ear. “Not now, not in here. But when I wake. Okay?”

He nodded his understanding so solemnly that she wondered if he already knew what it was she wanted to discuss.

Tiara yawned again and laid her head down to sleep, hoping that this time, she would wake up refreshed. Next to her, Millstone shifted his position and laid his head across her withers. “Mmm…” Tiara exhaled. If this didn’t give her some pleasant dreams, She wasn’t sure what would.

“Thank you.” She whispered.

“For what?”

“For coming to my rescue, and for making me feel safe.” Tiara answered honestly.

“You’re welcome.” His reply was common, relevant, and brief. Yet in that simple response, she thought she could hear some measure of pride and satisfaction in those two words. Perhaps, she did not ruin every positive thing that had happened tonight after all.

“Millstone?”

“Yes?”

“It’s still my watch. You’re supposed to be the one sleeping.” Tiara didn’t even try to lift her head from her pillow when she spoke.

He lifted his head and whispered in her ear. “Go to sleep. I’ll take your watch.”

Tiara smiled weakly as a tingle ran through her. “Thank you.” she said, as he laid his head back on her withers.

Author's Note:

I feel like this should have been part of the previous chapter.
I hope it doesn't seem out of place on its own.