• Published 27th Mar 2012
  • 892 Views, 17 Comments

A Colt's War - Codexwriter476



My First Fanfiction-War Story.

  • ...
 17
 892

Chapter Six: The Ponyville Pocket- Part 3

The sun slowly rose over the mountains and punched through the clouds as the remains of coltgrenadier battalions formed ranks within the town square. Battered, rag tagged and some showing the face of defeat, they watched as a company of Lunars marched towards them, unarmed. The Lunar from before was accompanying his commanding officer, and as promised, there was not a single attack during the night.

"At least they kept their side of the deal." Sketch said quietly.

"Now we have to keep our side, whatever it is." Lawrence replied and walked out towards them, followed by Sketch and Big Mac. The officer and lunar messenger also walked forward; both sides approaching the town hall. The roof was burned away and debris laid about. The two groups stopped before they were within five feet of each other. Their uniforms were tattered and torn from nearly two weeks on constant fighting, where as the Lunar officer was in a dark blue and neatly pressed uniform jacket. His bicorn hat was also a dark blue with the crescent moon near the brim, and also fifty years out of style to the Kepi-style officer cap. He was an black earth pony with blue eyes and grey mane and tail.

"Good morning Captain, I am Colonel Nightshade of the 8th Lunar Brigade." The stallion introduced himself, his voice had a slight touch of Prench.

"Morning sir. I'm Captain Lawrence of the 1st Coltgrenadier Regiment, or what's left of it anyway." His eyes shifted back to the column behind him.

"My condolences for your fallen, but this is war."

"Like wise."

"Now, shall we discuss the terms for our little cease-fire?" His hoof directed towards the town hall.

"After you sir." Lawrence gestured. The colonel simply nodded and lead the procession in, leaving the two sides outside. The interior of the town hall was surprisingly still intact, despite the gapping hole and charcoal dust on the floor and balconies. The colonel removed his bicorn and gave it to the messenger, but Lawrence kept his cap.

"As you can see Captain, The situation for you grows grimmer by the day, with Canterlot being battered away by General Keibler's Division, I trust we can come to a reasonable solution." The Colonel started off. "What I can offer is safe passage back to friendly lines, with your arms and colors. In return, you surrender Ponyville and all properties within a five miles radius."

"And you promise that no harm will come to the remaining civilians?" Big Mac intervened. The colonel seemed insulted by his abrupt intrusion, but he heed no mind.

"I give you my word, as a officer and gentle colt, not one civilian will be harmed under our care." He lifted his hoof. Mac didn't seem convinced, and the Colonel could see this. "Very well, I'll, how you say, Pinkie Promise?" His hoof crossed his chest and covered his right eye. Somehow, Mac seemed confident with this and backed away.

"Mr. Nightshade, We accept your terms. But if we so much as hear a bad word about this place, you won't have a brigade left to command." Lawrence reached out his hoof.

"Very well." Nightshade extended his and shook.

The two groups exited the Town hall, to see each side remaining still.

"Company, Attention!" Nightshade shouted. The Lunars snapped to attention. The grenadiers simply stood there. Lawrence soon spoke out.

"Battalion! Ready your gear, we march out." He said. "The fight is over, we've had our share." Surrender was never easy, but at least they'll live to see another day. By high noon, The lunars lined the square as the first column of grenadiers began the long march out, lead by their regimental colors and Lawrence. Sketch was marching out with the wounded and any civilians who wished to leave with them, including the Apples family. The procession was long and quiet, the lunars looked upon their former enemy as if they were defeated themselves. The lunars lead the procession towards the east bridge, to the outskirts of town.

"It was nice fighting you." One shouted out. He sounded young, almost Pipsqueak's age. To those who remained; the militia and those who refused the surrender, they continued to hold out in the school, firing at any Lunar who got close. To those who were leaving, they carted out their dead behind the procession. Big Macintosh was walking out with his family, keeping them safe as he once promised Will.

'Before you shoot, Can you promise me this?' His voice echoed in his head.

'What's that?'

'Promise that you'll keep every pony safe, including yourself.'

'I promise' Will didn't believe him. 'I Pinkie Promise.' Mac crossed his chest and covered his eye. Will seemed confused about the Pinkie Promise, but in the end he was convinced. Mac's mind ran rampant as a voice suddenly shouted out to him.

"Big Mac, You alright Cousin?" It was Braeburn, marching alongside AJ.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

The column continued out until they were out of sight of the town, and all they could hear now was the cheering and whooping of the new occupants of Ponyville.
--

"General Haybrun, You should see this." the second shouted, looking down the road. The Regiment was now only a mile away to the south of Ponyville. Haybrun rushed over the pulled out a pair of binoculars, and he couldn't believe his eyes. A lunar flag flew above the remains of the charred roof of town hall and he could hear the hollers of the victors echo out the sustaining boom of the Canterlot siege.

"I fear we've lost the 1st grenadiers and Ponyville." Haybrun said in disbelief. Lancer was finally right, It was too late to save any of them.

"Sir, to the east." His second said once again, this time his eyes spotting a column advancing away from Ponyville.

"Now they march on to Canterlot. We must stop them before they reach the city. Regiment, double time to intercept." Haybrun shouted, the regiment quickly returning to formation. He didn't bother to check through his scope to see the grenadier banner flying before them; a mistake that he would regret.
--
The First Grenadiers reached the open field road leading towards Canterlot, marching at ease as if they were on holiday. The sun was shining high in the sky, a changing sight from the dark grey skies during the siege. The banners flapped in the cool autumn breeze. The column soon slowed to a steady pace for the wounded to catch up, along with the elderly civilians such as Granny Smith.

"Sir, up ahead." A sergeant from First shouted. Lawrence looked ahead to see another regiment just further down the road, rushing towards them, shouting.

"Damn that Lunar! He's ambushing us! Battalion, Box Formation! Wounded and Civilians in the center!" Lawrence shouted. The column quickly helped the wounded into the center as the box was formed, a crude maneuver but effective none the less. The charging regiment continued at them, firing at the line as they ever go closer.

"Fire!" Lawrence shouted, and the line facing the advancing foe disappeared behind a line of smoke. Bullets impacted the advancing column, only to fall back. When the smoke had cleared, he could see the foe well, only to be shocked in horror. Laying before them were not lunars, but grenadiers! He shot is fellow soldiers.

Haybrun looked out onto the field, his glasses around his neck. He saw the volley of the enemy box, then as the smoke cleared, saw their banner.

"What have I done?" He murmured, seeing the red and blue flag of the 1st Grenadiers. He then advanced through the tree line where he stood and shouted out. "Captain Lawrence!"

"General? Is that you?" Lawrence shouted back.
Both Regiments converged, chatting about the events that took place as a selected few placed more dead onto the wagons.

"When we approached Ponyville, we saw the lunars cheering and their banner waving above the town hall. What happened?" Haybrun asked.

"They just kept coming sir, and we were almost out of ammo. We lost nearly fifty percent of the regiment within the eight days sir." Lawrence explained, then asked him. "Why didn't you come sooner?"

"Lancer." Haybrun said abruptly.

"Oh."

AMBUSH!

Before their conversation could continue, a shot rang out, hitting Haybrun square in the head.

"AMBUSH!!!" A grenadier shouted, then was cut down by a hail of bullets. From the tree lines, Lunar skirmishers picked off their targets. Civilians panicked and scattered towards the reformed box as the lunars charged from both sides. The Box returned fire, killing the advancing lunar attackers. Suddenly, another Lunar unit came from Ponyville.

"Damn it! Fall back to Canterlot! Lawrence shouted. The grenadiers soon broke formation and retreated to the large river past the tree line. Big Mac helped his family into one of the wagons, along with the Cakes. Mr. Cake was about to get in as well when a bullet hit his right hind leg, and another into his back. He groaned in pain as Big Mac helped him into the wagon. By now, the entire formation was in a panic, making towards the bridge post haste, with the lunars still on their tail. Newsprint and Pipsqueak ran together when a round hit Newsprint in the back of his neck, killing him instantly. Pipsqueak didn't look back, he kept running with the others. Braeburn shot back and ran, shot back and ran until he tripped over a dead grenadier, sending his rifle and hat flying. He didn't grab his gun, but took a bite on his hat and ran after the wagons. What Lawrence could remember was that the Colonel promised no civilians would be harmed, but he had turned his back on safe passage for the defeated troops.

The large river bridge was just ahead, their gateway to safety as the routed column ran across. The lunars had reached the river banks and continued firing on them, their bullets missing the wagons as best they could. Any Grenadier that could still fight, held off the lunars as best they could, allowing their brothers to escape. Once the wagons had crossed, a terrifying sight happened. The bridge exploded, sending any poor unfortunate soul on it flying all about. A third of the column was now trapped, including Big Mac, Braeburn, Lawrence and Sketch. In desperation, they started to swim across, only to get picked off by the enemy. The grenadiers on the other side with the wagons, did their best to provide covering fire. Lawrence helped Sketch across while trying to avoid drowning or being hit by the hail of bullets, when suddenly, he felt a grunt on his back. His head turned around to see Sketch's eyes twitch. He knew that look before, and tears formed at the base of his eyes. Braeburn and Mac continued the fight until they were the last ones left on the left side, and before they could get into the water, Braeburn felt a sting in the back on his right flank.

"They got me." He cried in pain. Big Mac wasn't going to leave family behind, so he pulled Braeburn onto this back and jumped into the water, bullets continued to fly overhead. Swimming with all his might, Mac was determined to keep his promise until he reached the other bank, where a group of grenadiers were covering. Every pony else had continued their run deeper in. Lawrence was amongst the group, firing shot after shot from a rifle, then his service pistol, tears flowing down his nuzzle.

"Get out of here, move!" He shouted, then reached for Sketch. The grenadiers soon dispersed and disappeared into the tree line, the lunar bullets still buzzing all around them.