• Published 11th Mar 2014
  • 3,262 Views, 55 Comments

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Explorers of Friendship - mooneyboys



The world is saved from total paralysis. Team Dynasty (Eevee and Riolu) will soon reunite to save another world. A world full of friendship.... Usually

  • ...
4
 55
 3,262

Investigations and More Misunderstandings

“No, no no! How did this happen? I thought Jasmine and I saved time by defeating Dialga! How is time frozen here?” Curtis says with panic. When they defeated Dialga, that was it, game over. The moment they put the time gears into the tower, all of time was saved and restored. Is that what's happening here? he thought. is someone is trying to restore time here? Or are they just trying to cause malice?. If it is the former, then it is only a matter of time before the world goes into eternal chaos. If it was the latter… well the world is still gonna plunge into eternal chaos. So either way he must do something!

“But where to start….” He says with a frown. If this was back where he calls home, it wouldn’t be hard to find where he is and return to Treasure Town. Arceus knows how many times that has happened to him when Jasmine wasn’t around. But the problem is, he doesn’t know where he is. He is a stranger in a strange land.

He sits down on the edge of the cave and digs into his pack for anything useful and checks his inventory. He shuffles around and finds several Oran berries, apples both big and small along with the one perfect apple, a couple of stun seeds, Jasmine’s bow, a few reviver seeds, and many orbs that aren’t of use right now, and a…. Compass. He frowned at finding this; he didn’t remember packing it.
Upon closer inspection the compass seems very ancient and surprisingly well cared for. It is made of what looks and feels to be leather, possibly from a Miltank. The inside looks like its made of black pearl but feels like marble. it weighs about the same as several gravel rocks. The compass itself is blank, the only marking on it is the arrow thingy that tells you where to go. Etched on the side of it, in ancient basic, reads the words “Compass of Desires”

“What do you do?….” Curtis wonders aloud as he does what any sensible Pokemon would’ve done: He shook it until it did something.

Shaking it for about five minutes, Curtis realized it wasn’t going to do anything and immediately stopped. Looking at the compass again, he realized he did nothing but make it spin wildly. He scoffs at it. “Useless….. Now if you could at least start pointing me North we could go somewhere” His eyes widened in surprise as he watches the compass go from spinning wildly to sticking firmly on where Curtis assumed was North.

“Hmmm…” He says as he opens his pack and lays out several items around on the floor in a circle and places the compass in the center. “Okay now… Point me to… the Power band” He watches in awe as the compass moves to the direction to his right, right where he placed the band. “hmm... now do the apple” He watches yet again as the compass directs him to the correct location of the apple. “Alright, now do….”

He plays with this compass for a little bit before he realizes what it does. “You point me to what I want, so long as it is my desire… Or something” He says while munching on another apple. An idea comes to his mind as he swallows hard.

“S-Show me…” He swallows again. “Show me where Jasmine is”

Almost immediately the compass turns toward West Northwest toward some more, less holy, mountains. “Alright” He says out loud. “Let’s get started.” He looks at the sun one more time before hopping down the mountain. I’m coming for you Jasmine…


It took two days to make it to the mountains, “They looked so much closer from far away…” Curtis complains to himself as he made it to the peak of one of the taller mountains. “Woah” He says as he looks over the entire country of this place.

This place is so… alive He thinks as he looks around. To his left is a desert, much more pleasant looking than the one he walked through, in front of him, more left than the desert, and to his right is a beautiful green grasslands with the occasional hill in the way.

Looking around he sees two civilisations he can walk to for information. One in the desert and the other… not so much in the desert. The former is in the direction of where Jasmine is, the other is closer, but he would have to go slightly out of his way to reach it. His stomach growls, so he grabs an apple and eats in. Looking deeper in his bag he realized he just ate his last apple. “Alright the closer one it is then” He says and starts the trek down the mountain.

Only to be stopped by a dragon! “You” It says in a deep voice. “What are you doing at the entrance to my hoard?”

“W-what!? What hoard!? I have no idea what you’re talking about!”

“Lies!” He growls. “Why else would you be here!? I bet that town sent you!”

“N-No! Of course not! I Don’t know anyone in that town!”

“I know! I bet they sent you to kill me! Those ponies don’t have the heart, will, or courage to even face me so they sent you to do their dirty work! Typical of them!” He (Curtis assumes it is a he, kinda rare to hear a deep voiced female) then proceeds to roar and then try to stomp on Curtis.

“W-Wait!” He screams as he leapt out of the way. “I’m serious, I don’t know anyone at that place! I just need to go there to buy some food!”

“I don’t believe you!” He hollers and doubles his efforts at squishing the young Riolu.

Curtis realize he’s going nowhere with the dragon so he begins his onslaught. With a quick jab of Force Palm he leaps over the dragon and prepares a Focus Punch. The dragon turns around and starts spraying him with flamethrower. Shrugging off the flames and possibly a burn, he unleashes the fury of Focus Punch followed quickly by Feint. The dragon, for some reason, uses Scratch against the fighting type. Based on that, Curtis makes a quick decision and strikes with one more Force Palm.

The dragon roars in anguish before falling down with a huge THUD! “I submit!” He cries. “Do what you will on me”

“Oh… Well… I just want some information really. I’m not from this…. Area” Curtis says, careful of what he says. After all, you wouldn’t go up to a stranger and say, “Hi I’m not from this world! Mind telling me the basics of this place?”

The dragon scoffs. “Information? Why won’t you just kill me already?”

“Why would I kill you?” Asks a confused Curtis.

“You mean to tell me that the city below us did not send you to kill me?”

“Yes, that is what i was trying to tell you before you attack me. Like I said I just want information. I can get food from the town”

“What kind of food do you eat? You have shown me kindness, I might as well show you kindness in return.”

“umm ok?” Curtis says, now more confused than before. “I eat mainly fruit, although I believe I’m capable of eating meat as well”

“Alright then. Come inside my cave. We’ll talk in there.” The dragon uses his claws to push the reluctant Riolu into the cave.

Grumbling a bit, Curtis walks into the cave instead of being dragged and stops to stare in awe at the cave. Crystals and gems of every color and type litter the entire place. Gold coins and other treasure compliment the cave and the jewels. Only the ceiling, he noticed, is not covered in jewels. Instead many small, glowing crystals, mainly white and dull yellow, hang off the stalactites to create enough light to see in the cave. Off to the side, is a surprisingly well maintained table big enough to seat the dragon and several guests of his size

“Go ahead and take a seat. I’ll be with you shortly” The dragon says rummaging through… Something. Curtis assumes its food storage. The seat, surprising Curtis once again, is extremely comfortable and well maintained. The dragon noticed and chuckles.

“You have to love Griffon made products. Extremely durable, especially if its enchanted by unicorns. And as a bonus, they trade with me in exchange for some of my jewels.” he takes a seat and gives Curtis various fruit and something that he doesn’t recognise. “Thanks to you” the massive being starts, “I have finally a reason to bring this out. I believe the griffons called it ‘Bacon’. Go ahead and eat.”

Reluctantly at first, the Riolu begins to eat. He’s surprised for a third time as the food is not only fresh, but delicious. Soon, He was devouring everything on his plate. Except the bacon. He savored the delicious and unique godly and Arceus level taste that is bacon. Even the dragon, who was eating more food more viciously than Curtis, savored the taste.

After finishing both had a large burp. Naturally, the dragon, being the bigger of the two and ate more, burped the loudest. “I am glad I saved that. It is truly a great item to savor when you have almost died.”

“Yeah! and it tastes great! Its almost like the taste of victory” Curtis happily replies

“EXACTLY!” The dragon shouts. “The taste of VICTORY! That is a good analogy my good friend.”

“Please just call me Curtis.”

“As you wish, Curtis.”

“What about you? What is your name?” To Curtis, it feels odd to call the dragon, the dragon, even if he is a dragon.

“I have long since forgotten my real name. But I believe myself to be a philosophical dragon so you can call me Philosophical.”

“I’ll just call you Phyllis.”

Phyllis chuckles, “Next thing we know, you’re going to call me Sheila at this rate”

“I won’t do that!” Curtis defends. “You’re not a girl.”

“True enough.” Phyllis’ face turned serious. “Now what kind of information are you looking for?”

“Well… The basics really. What anyone and everyone should know. Like I said I’m not from around here. But before we get to that, why treat me with kindness? Just a while ago you were trying to kill me and now its like we’re old friends.”

“Dragon Code” Phyllis answered simply. “Because you technically saved my life the Dragon Code states I am indebted to you until I save your life. Speaking of which” Phyllis turns around and starts rummaging through his hoard for something. “A hah! here is is” He turns around and gives Curtis a whistle made of what he assumes to be stone. “This here is a special whistle almost every dragon carries in their hoard. Whenever you are in need of help, blow the whistle and I’ll come to your aid. Assuming I am not sleeping of course. Dragons as you should know, sleep for hundreds if not thousands of years.”

“R-Right! I knew that!...” Curtis lies. Sure where he is from there were some dragons that slept for a long time, but its normally for a few years, not hundreds!

“So, back to business, Alright so, the basics…. hmm where should I start…. Oh yes! Lets start with Equestria’s rulers…”

Throughout the day and the next day Phyllis tells Curtis all the basics of Equestria: The history, the ponies, and the economy. As well as some of the local news as an added bonus.


Curtis is at the edge of the cave, his pack now full of supplies that should last him for several days in the wilderness. However if all goes well, he shouldn’t be in the middle of nowhere. Phyllis explained to him what a train is, so the train tracks didn't look as foreign to him anymore. He was told to follow them, and make it to “Canterlot Castle” on the tallest mountain. From there he should find a guard and hopefully (s)he’ll help him find Jasmine.

He hid some fairly important information from his recently made friend. For starters the fact he is from a different planet or that his partner isn’t a Riolu (Phyllis thinks he’s just finding a soon to be mate). Its not that he doesn’t trust him (it would be a lie if he said he didn’t) its that he worries Phyllis won’t believe him.

So with that in mind, Curtis waves goodbye to his newly made friend and made his way to the odd city inhabited by nothing but strange ponytas called ‘Ponies’.

He easily heads down the mountain by a mix of jumping and climbing and makes an hour trek to make it to the town. To his right a large “Welcome to Dodge Junction” made out of broken planks of sun-bleached wood greets him.

Looking ahead the town is relatively quiet despite being the middle of the day. There are a few merchants out selling their wares to customers but other than that, the town is a ghost town.

“Uhhh…. Hello?” Curtis says to one of the merchants as soon he gets near.

The merchant, a mare of desert brown and a red mane turns toward him. “Hello what can I… Get…. You….” Her eyes grew wider and wider as she finished her sentenced and took a good look at the lost Pokemon.

“What are you selling?” He calmly asks her, but that didn’t snap her out of it. “Hello?” He starts waving at her but she still stares at him.

The other merchants by this point have noticed Curtis and have become awfully quiet, some stopping in the middle of talking with customers. Then the customers themselves started looking at him. All were quiet. Some had the same face that the merchant he tried to talk to had. Others just didn’t know what to do.

No one moved. No one made a sound. Until one of the fillies with their parents grew bored of the quiet and tried to get a look at what started the quietness.

“Sweetie don’t stray away from mommy” the filly’s mom says to her child but to no avail. The filly kept moving through the crowd. “No no sweetie. No don’t go there. No” Yet she keeps ignoring her mom. “No NO NO!” She keep screaming.

Unfortunately somepony who overheard the frantic mother’s screaming has a trigger word. That trigger word is “no” So hearing the screams triggered him/herself and (s)he screams like a filly. This caused a chain reaction of ponies screaming, ponies running around in circles trying to get away from the “monster”, and leaving a very confused Riolu alone. In that order.

“Well…. That happened…. Whatever that was” Curtis mumbles to himself and starts to walk forward.

Only to be hit on the back of the head by a heavy piece of wood. The surprise strength of the pony combined with the fact that Curtis wasn’t expecting it was more than enough for him to have black dots swimming along his vision and making him lose balance. HIs hearing, however worked very well. Before he blacked out he managed to hear, “Damn dude! Did you have to hit it so hard? You broke the cue! You know how much that’ll cost you!?”

“Eh better overkill than not I’d say. Besides it looks like I did nothing more than give the thing a nasty bump on the head. As for the cue I’m sure we can work something out.”

Curtis would’ve heard more, but the surprise attack sapped his strength and he closed his eyes.

Only to wake up in a prison cell several hours later.

Author's Note:

Does anyone else feel guilty when they don't update for quite a while?