• Published 5th Mar 2014
  • 639 Views, 40 Comments

Conclave of the Clairetti - Talidin1337



Drapney, a member of the Clairetti Race, is nearing to embark on her epic journey through the far reaches of Equestria in order to bring her long lost sister, Derpy, back home. Meanwhile, the war between the Day and the Night rages on.

  • ...
3
 40
 639

Beginning Paths

Chapter 7: Beginning Paths

Pinkie sat around most of the day, thinking about the words she heard from Zecora. Pinke had known there was strange things about her all along, like her Pinkie Sense, or the fact that she can defy what she learned in Physics class. Gravity meant nothing to her, neither did momentum, or the laws of the universe. She could do whatever she wanted, but never went around abusing that ability, or even testing it's limits. She just does what she does, and she hurts no pony for it.

But, something kept calling her to Zecora, and she had to fight it off, and remove that thought from her mind. She would spend so much time trying to fight with her feelings that lately she wasn't paying attention to the normal things in life, like sell that milkshake to that guy for two bits.

"Come on Miss, are you gonna take my bits or not?"

Pinkie came out of daze and looked up at the customer, "Oh, sorry! Silly me" Pinkie said, and took the two bits, "Thanks for comin'!" The Stallion walked away with a huff, and didn't bother to say thank you. Pinkie then flipped the OPEN sign to CLOSE and walked back on over to the library, first to return the book, and second to see if Twilight was ready to begin testing.

Pinkie approached the library, but it suddenly exploded with some kind of pink liquid. Pinkie ran inside to see what happened.

"Twilight, are you alright?"

"Yeah!" A voice from down in the basement yelled, "Make sure you never mix Dragon saliva with bubble gum extract!"

Pinkie looked a little confused, "Why were you doing that?" She said as Twilight came up the stairs,

"For Science!" Twilight said with a blissful smile, "Why else?"

Okay? "Well I was wondering if you were ready to start!" Pinkie said with a hop and a smile,

"Sure Pinkie" Twilight said, running off to record something on a piece of paper.

"So, what are we going to do first? Wait for a headache to appear?" Pinkie said, she was just kidding.

"MmmHmm"

"Wait, really?"

"Sure"

Twilight obviously wasn't paying attention, she was busy with a bunch of maschines, dials, and thingamajigs to notice what what Pinkie was saying.

"Twilight!" Pinkie said to get her attention.

"What?!" Twilight was startled. "Oh, sorry Pinkie." Twilight turned her attention back to Pinkie, "What did you want?"

"I was wondering if you wanted to get started"

"Well, actually, I was researching what it could possibly be after you left, but I couldn't figure it out. I'm afraid that I will only be able to study you while you're having a headache, because other than that, I don't know what to do. Sorry Pinkie"

Pinkie lost only a small amount of her excitement, "Oh, well, thanks anyway Twilight."

"You're welcome Pinkie" Twilight said, turning her attention back onto Science. Pinkie left the building.

A strong feeling enticed her to return to Zecora, but she didn't want to leave her friends. Maybe she could work out a deal with Zecora. Pinkie decided to go back. Trotting up to the entrance of the Everfree Forest, Pinkie took a deep gulp, bound together her courage, and ventured back into the Forest. Like last time, it didn't take her long to find Zecora's hut, and she walked up to knock on the door. She was just about to put her hoof on the door when somepony from behind her spoke up,

"Whom ever you are looking for, is nowhere beyond that door" Pinkie was startled and abruptly turned around. It was Zecora.

"Oh, hehe, you scared me" Pinkie said with a laugh. Zecora smiled.

"Why have you returned, is there something from what I said that you've learned?"

"Look, I think that I should learn whatever you have to teach me, but I also think I shouldn't leave my friends. I came to make a deal."

"A compromise I presume, is the thing you seek to bloom"

"Yeah! That. So, I will listen to you, and learn from you, but I still get to see my friends."

Zecora, didn't look very pleased. "A danger lies in the world of Day, escape it you must, I pray"

"We will do what I suggested, or we have no deal." Pinkie said, trying to be assertive.

Zecora looked conflicted within herself, but she agreed with Pinkie, "Okay, Pinkie, diverting your opinion is not easy. Accept your conditions I do, to teach, and uplift you." she said, submissive to Pinkie's demands.

"Really?" Pinkie said with surprise, "Thank you!" she said with excitement.

"Now, we must begin, enter into me house, and learn what I have within." Pinkie turned around and opened the door to Zecora's hut, and entered inside. Pinkie didn't fell much different, because the Elements of Harmony helped block out the Day, but it did seems safer indie Zecora's hut. The hut made more of a safe Haven from the Day then did the Elements, mainly because the Elements have to fight against a more powerful influence from the Day. The Forest itself is a haven from the day, but not by much. It works as a maintainer, if you came from the Day, you will remain in the Day, but if you came from the Night, you will remain in the Night. Neither influences of Day or Night is dominantly powerful in that forest, but the Day has a slight advantage. If you stay in the Everfree Forest unprotected for too long, you will become a Day Dweller.

Pinkie was a little freaked out at the creepy trinkets on the walls, but she didn't want to be rude. Zecora walked over to her boiling pot. She was cooking up the potion that will protect one from the day, the same potion she applies to her home, and to her cloak periodically. "I first will cure your headaches" Zecora said, mixing some kind of blue powder into the pot, "drinking this potion, is all it takes". Zecora grabbed a tiny glass bottle, about the length and width of ones finger, and filled it with the potion. "Drink this, and your pains will be healed. Drink it at the peak of your next headache, and it's provement will be sealed." Zecora attached a string to the bottle, and gave it to Pinkie. Pinkie took it, and wrapped it around her neck, it dangling in front of her. "Test it soon, I hope, for only then will we continue our lope"

Pinkie thanked Zecora and walked back outside. She headed home to Ponyville. Pinkie looked at the bottle around her neck with curiosity, would it actually work? Pinkie decided she should wait for the next headache, then test the potion.

When arriving in Ponyville, Pinkie headed strait for Sugar Cube Corner. She was supposed to be keeping the shop open.



***


Drapney walked through the Homeland, it still painted with blood like it was just yesterday. It hadn't rained yet, so she shouldn't expect as much, but she really wanted that battle to be a dream. She walked into the market area, where Clairetti would buy and sell goods. Death was littered here too, and it was sickening. The bodies where still being placed into bags where they will be carried to the sea, and sailing out exactly fifty miles from the shore, will be thrown into the ocean to be forgotten, yet at the same time, remembered with each glimpse of the vast blueness that made up the East Ocean.

Here, in the market place, the bodies where still laying on the ground, they haven't been moved yet. Drapney walked over to what used to be a smithing furnace, but was now stained by blood from the smith, who just so happened to be laying an top of the now warm coals. Drapney turned away, the smith was a good friend, a kid person to all. He was a teacher, a warrior, a skilled smith, but most of all, a father. Drapney looked across the way, and her legs bucked beneath her. She ran to his side, blood spilling from his neck. He was dead, like the others, and that was that.

"Draighholl" Drapney whispered, tears filling in her eyes. More sadness, more hatred, more of everything filled in her heart, and she wanted badly to have turned back time and slay the Chief and his counselors when she had the chance. "This wasn't supposed to happen Draighholl!" She said with anger, "You were supposed to reunite with you wife and live happily ever after!" tears began to run down her face. "You were my best friend, and you just had to go off and die like this? How could you! I need you!" Drapney dropped her head into Draighholl's chest, and her tears began to soak into fur.

Drapney barrier him right there. She dug a hole about six feet deep, five feet long, and four feet wide, then pushed Draighholl into it. It was an overly big hole, but she didn't want to have to drag him back out to dig it bigger. Two of the other four Clairetti stopped to watch the three hour ceremony, their emotions swelling with each scoop of dirt that was shoveled, and sometimes tried to help her, but Drapney would refuse the help. She felt like this was something she needed to do alone, in respect for her friend.

When she finished filling the hole, the other Clairetti had gathered around. All five of them stood in a circle around this one grave, their heads bowed in sorrow and respect. They hadn't known Draighholl, but they saw the effort Drapney had put in making that grave, and they all joined in. Jyrial was the first to bring his head up.

"This is what needs to be done" He said, his voice full of meaning. "Dig out the rest of this are of the field, six feet deep like this grave, and our fallen ones will be laid to rest here, not in the sea."

The others didn't say a word, they just acted. Three grabbed shovels and started digging, while two went out to re-gather the bodies and bring them to the edge of the one huge grave.

In the distance, somepony was approaching. They were as far as the entrance to the Homeland, but everypony could see them. It was a group of seven Clairetti, probably transfers, but they had obviously come expecting the same Homeland they had seen their whole lives growing up. The look on their faces was visible from where Drapney stood, and she flew over to them. Getting a closer look, she was right, the seven new Clairetti couldn't believe what they saw. Drapney had taken off her armor, so she came to them as a plain Clairetti, her grey coat and her blonde hair being all that was visible. The other Clairetti looked at her carefully, they were waiting for an explanation of what had happened.

"The battle was won, but at great loss." Drapney said as she turned to face to carnage that lay on the ground. Most of the Clairetti race was slain here at this battle, all that remained was the remote groups of Clairetti scattered across the planet. Most had responded to the call for war when the threat was made against the Homeland. Only a handful of groups as small as the one that stood in front of Drapney remained. At most, maybe only 100 Clairetti remained.

"And the innocents?" Which is what many Clairetti referred the non-warriors as.

"Gone"

The seven bowed their head in sorrow, some began to tear up. Drapney began to walk back to the grave site, and the others followed her. When they arrived at the grave site, and saw what was going on, most pitched in, but others needed time to mourn, and wondered around the complex. Drapney understood.

When nighttime had fallen, they had succeeded in digging up the rest of the market place, but still had yet to place the bodies. The seven new arrivals learned that Drapney, Jyrial, Bagod, Hiltwing, and Remedy had created a new House, and they supported it. A dispute was made wither the seven should be allowed to join, but the verdict was against them. All but four of the twelve Clairetti agreed that House Caranae should be made up of actual descendants from those who had fought in the battle that ruined their Homeland, who had seen the horrors. The seven had only seen the aftermath, and could never truly know what it was like to actually be in that battle. Those who were in favor of allowing the seven to join where three of the seven, and Remedy.

The next day, all twelve of them finished placing the bodies in the graves, and they were now working on filling the hole they had made. When that was finished, the seven gave their goodbyes, and said that they where going to tell the other Houses what had happened. House Caranae thanked them, and they went their ways.

"We never will leave this land will we? It's too symbolic to our name." Hiltwing pointed out.

"I think you're right" Bagod replied, "Caranae means Red Sea, so how can we leave the red sea that birthed us?"

Jyrial joined in the conversation, "Staying here will be harmful to our minds. The thought of death will be to strong here."

"But we can't just leave that easily" Hiltwing added,

"What you suggest is living a life of sadness. I propose that this place will become a House Caranae landmark. Like in house Falkren, we will make treks to this place, but we will not live here." Jyrial suggested, the other two nodded in agreement. Jyrial then found Drapney and Remedy talking with each other, the only two mares in their House. That later may become a problem, but not now. Traditionally, members of different Houses are very pureblooded in the way they think, and a mare from one House can only marry a stallion from that same House, and visa versa. This idea is well accepted, because if not, there would be no meaning in being a member of a House. One would be a member of two, and or three, or even all 21 depending on which generation you are. You wouldn't be truly home anywhere. The same clan marriage law is highly accepted by all Clairetti, and is supported by all of the Heads. It is a part of their culture that makes them unique, that if you are a member of a House, you are a direct descendant of a certain group of ancestors.

Because of this, Remedy and Drapney where destined to marry one of the three stallions, and Jyrial as the presiding Head would probably give up that privilege to Hiltwing and Bagod. Whither they were in love or not, they would have to have foals, for the sake of their House. All houses start about this small, and all go through this problem. It won't be until the third generation when they can concern themselves with a luxury such as love.

Jyrial flew down to the two mares, "We have agreed on a verdict about something"

"Oh? What is it?" Remedy asked,

"This land is not to be our home, but a landmark. We shall make trips here like House Falkren, and we will dwell somewhere else."

Drapney agreed with the idea. Previously being a member of House Falkren, she knew what Jyrial was talking about.

House Falkren was created right after the treaty between the Dwarfs and the Clairetti was formed. The Clairetti representatives that met with the Dwarfs decided that to honor, and celebrate that great day, they would form themselves as a House. The meeting between the Dwarfs and the Clairetti took place in the Dwarven city known till this day as Falkren, and thus the representatives named themselves House Falkren, to yet again honor their treaty with the Dwarfs. For a long time afterwards, House Falkren was the main host of the Semi-Decadal Celebration every five years that would bring multitudes of Dwarfs and Clairetti together.

Because of the symbolism that the city Falkren provides for House Falkren, every member of that House will make the journey all the way to Falkren at least once in their lives. Drapney herself has gone twice with her fellow House members, and they where always met with kindness and treated like guests of honor. Likewise, Dwarfs that live in Falkren would make the trek to visit House Falkren, and the Clairetti would treat them with kindness and like guests of honor. The relationship between the Dwarfs and the Clairetti is certainly beautiful.

House Caranae, after finishing filling the graves, said their final goodbyes, and departed from the Homeland. Together, they will go in search for a place they can call theirs, but first, they must visit the five Houses which they were a part of, and finalize the transition from whatever House they were born in, to House Caranae. The first stop, it being the closest, was House Kilgrad, Bagod's House. House Kilgrad was named after the original house owner. Sir Kilgrad was a mighty warrior, but he was even scarier as a strategist. Sir Kilgrad went to war alone against an army of skeleton ponies, controlled by a dark sorceress. Kilgrad formed and trained his own attack team of eight Clairetti, and they alone defeated the dead army, and didn't lose a single soldier. The victory was a result of extensive planing, and training, which he mastered at both. In the end, Kilgrad and his group of eight banded together to form House Kilgrad, in honor of their mighty leader, and their victory over a powerful enemy.

House Kilgrad made a land near the Homeland as their home, they wanting to be near their roots, because Kilgrad, before creating House Kilgrad, was a member of House Clairetti, the first House in which all other Clairetti are descendants from, thus why their race is named Clairetti. Miss Clairetti is the pony which the statue monument is supposed to be of, but others think that Miss Clairetti was the first mare of their race, the Eve to their Adam. Who exactly is Miss Clairetti cannot be confirmed, because no records of her exists.

It took about two hours of traveling, but they made it to House Kilgrad. It was a wooden structure within a lush forest, like a small fortress with long walls and some lookout towers along the way. It was closed off by one gate, and they stood in front of that gate now. House Caranae's armor was still stained with blood as they approached, they never thought to clean it when they left. This later will become another tradition of House Caranae, where they splatter red paint that looks like blood all over their armor and keep it like that for a whole week. At the end of the week, they will wash the paint off. But that tradition hadn't been created yet. House Caranae was met by a group of House Kilgrad members, some even recognized Bagod.

"Is that you Bagod? What happened to you?" They asked, looking up and down his armor.

Bagod told them about the battle, and about House Caranae. The other House Kilgrad members bowed in respect, and led Bagod into the wooden facility that consisted of their home. Drapney and the others waited outside until Bagod was finished. Forty minutes later, Bagod came back out. He had a medallion fashioned around his neck, it containing the symbol of House Kilgrad.

[House Kilgrad Symbol, as agreed to by members of House Kilgrad. The circle symbolizes the dark sorceress, the X represents that the eradicated her, and the arrows pointing down represent that they sent her back to the underworld.]

House Caranae didn't ask why he was given it, they didn't need to. It was a parting gift from the current Head of House Kilgrad, and due to it's design and quality, was probably the medallion that the House owner wore.

They then headed off into the direction of House Havren. House Havren was named such, because the group that founded it were masters of using Ravens for a tactical advantage. Because of the Ravens, which they trained to not only fight, but to gather information, they where able to rid that area of the land from corruption. The Raven masters created a heaven of truth and justice, where anypony can be free from lies, and deceit. They named their House, Havren, to represent the heaven they made, and the ravens they used. Till this day, House Havren specializes in using ravens, but Hiltwing obviously did follow that path in his training. It took longer to travel to this location, and after all they had done that day, it was starting to get dark. The land occupied by House Havren consisted of a single stone tower that led into tunnel up to the top of the hill, where it otherwise is unreachable unless you fly. Members from House Havren sounded a horn at their approach. Visitors don't come to House Havren often, so it was a big deal to them. House Havren was a smaller house, most Blacklights and Spies come from this House, thanks to their use of shadows and their signature ravens. About half of House Havren came to greet House Caranae as they approached, they already knowing what had happened. Apparently, House Havren was the first place the seven visited when they left, and the members of House Havren had already mourned for the Homeland. They accepted Hiltwing into their numbers as they led him through the tunnel. Again, the other House Caranae members waited outside.

Drapney knew that her House would be next, because they currently weren't far from Dwarf territory. Looking up at the tower, Drapney noticed the House Havren symbol carved above the door way.

[House Havren Symbol, as agreed to members of House Havren. The V shape represents the beak of the raven, and the diamond above the circle represents feathers. The circle represents that the raven serves the user, and the user is incomplete without the raven.]

When Hiltwing returned, he said that he was officially a House Caranae member, and that they could rest there for the night. Drapney, as well as the others, retreated into the tower and climbed up the tunnel leading to the top of the hill. They were accompanied by other members of Havren, and soon where in the main stone structure known as The Nest, the home of all Havren members. House Caranae was showed to a guest room, and there they laid their heads to rest. They didn't say a word. None needed to be said. They will first have to deal with their depression before they can socially be a House. House Havren respected their space, and they didn't ask questions. House Havren was mysterious and dark anyway, and it added to the almost haunted feel of their House.