• Published 5th Mar 2014
  • 639 Views, 40 Comments

Conclave of the Clairetti - Talidin1337



Drapney, a member of the Clairetti Race, is nearing to embark on her epic journey through the far reaches of Equestria in order to bring her long lost sister, Derpy, back home. Meanwhile, the war between the Day and the Night rages on.

  • ...
3
 40
 639

Canter Of War

Chapter 6: Canter Of War

It was the next day, the Moon barely setting in the sky while the sun came back over the horizon. The Clairetti Warriors were awake now, ready and waiting for the Groulg forces. All throughout the night they took shifts of sleep, and were rested for whatever may come today. They all stood in attention, their gazes not leaving the horizon on the top of the distant hill. The Groulg will walk on top of the hill soon and probably start their attack from that position. A small group of three Clairetti were ordered to wait on that hill and announce when the Groulg forces had arrived. Drapney was one of the many Clairetti that remained in the back, ready for a fight.

Before long, the three lookout Clairetti blew their horns, signaling that the enemy was in sight, and they returned to the main gathering of warriors. They all waited in anticipation. Then, the Groulg Forces peaked over the hill. They remained as a single file line on the hill, and just stood there. Then with a roar, they charged down the hill and towards the Homeland. That single file line apparently was hiding a massive group of Groulg warriors, because they kept coming, and coming. From a flight crew, they estimated that there where about 5,000 or so Groulgs. Good, each Clairetti only had to kill two or three, and that would be easy enough.

They all stood still, motionless, and drew out their weapons. Everywhere, Clairetti where equipping themselves with swords, spears, knives, chains, and other forms of light weight weapons. Clairetti weapons were a coveted sort by many races and kingdoms because of their dexterity and weight. They where ideal weapons. Some would say that they were made by the Dwarfs. Well, they practically were. The Clairetti long ago were at war with the Dwarfs, but the war ended abruptly out of respect for each other. The Dwarfs, now long time allies and friends to the Clairetti, offered their techniques in smithing and taught the Claitetti how to make weapons as well as they could. The Clairetti in return taught the Dwarfs fighting techniques that matched with their already existing fighting style, and improved the Dwarfs overall military strength. Once every five years, the Dwarfs and Clairetti would take turns hosting a banquet in each other's honor. There is dancing, singing, laughing, good food from both cultures, and games also from both cultures. Most of the two races would mingle between each other during all of this, creating a large and diverse community of friendship. Infact, a lot of Clairetti design their weapons with Dwarven markings, and visa versa.

Bringing the attention back to the battle, the Clairetti remained unmoved, ready to strike at the first Groulg that tried to enter the Homeland. The distance between the two forces grew smaller, and smaller. The Groulg Chief stood on top of the hill, holding the staff up high. He spoke the spell engraved on the staff before his Groulg Forces made it to the Clairetti.

"Fac Simile Calculuc (Latin for 'make a similar thing stone')" The Chief screamed as loudly as he could, and the eyes on the snakes started to glow. When they where bight enough, it shot out a wave of invisible energy that latched itself onto the Clairetti Soldiers. The magic entirely engulfed the Clairetti, and kept them from moving. The Clairetti where stuck, unable to move, as if they where made of stone. Five seconds after the spell was cast, the Groulgs made it to the Clairetti forces, and running through the Clairetti ranks, slashed down any Clairetti that just so happened to be in their way. Thus began the Great Clairetti Purge.

Decapitated heads, stabbed chests, removed limbs, all where some of the horrors the Clairetti had to face, and they were incapable of doing anything about it. Cries of pain would scream out, wails of fear would be heard. The Clairetti were being slaughtered, and nothing could be done. The Clairetti fought hard against the spell, trying as hard as they could to possible break it and destroy the Groulg Forces, but they usually were too late.

Drapney realized what was happening, and she fought against the spell with all her might, just trying to move. Nothing was happening, nothing at all. 'Dear Galaxia Help Us!' was the thought that went through her head. She fought, and fought, but couldn't move. A Groulg with a very large hammer was approaching, crushing the bones of his victims as he walked through her comrades. One Clairetti begged to surrender, but was met with the end of the hammer to her head. One thing was certain, the Groulgs will show no mercy.

Drapney then fought at the spell harder than she was earlier; it was struggle for life. The Groulg approached her next, and when he got close enough, raised his hammer to strike Drapney. Drapney's eyes showed visible fear, she didn't know what to do. She thought about all of those who would die after she did, all of the children that would never grow old. Time seemed to slow down as the hammer came down towards her head, it being the longest half a second she ever would live. In this protracted amount of time, her life flew passed her eyes, and she saw everything she had done, or hadn't done. She saw Derpy, DERPY! Drapney then fought with all the strength she had, no way was she going to die now and never get a chance see Derpy! The Hammer was about halfway from its starting point to her head, when she broke the spell. It shattered around her, and in a fourth of a second, she had cut through the Groulg with so much force that his torso exploded into a messy cannon of red, blood splattering on Clairetti both dead and alive about fifty feet away. Drapney was free! She then tried to break through the magic field that trapped her comrades, but she couldn't free them without killing them herself, due to the amount of force required. Drapney, alone, went against the Groulg Forces. Moving as fast as she could, she attacked many Groulgs. It took them a while to notice that she was free, and they turn their attention on her. The Groulg on the other side of the gathering were still knocking through stunned Clairetti, but all of the Groulg on her side of the gathering focused on trying to kill her. She had indirectly saved those around her by diverting the enemy's attention. Hundreds came to intercept Drapney, but none could touch her. Drapney fought with the might of ten Clairetti, her mind set on Derpy. One after another, the Groulgs fell by her sword, some were stabbed, others were slashed, but what they all had in common was a part of their body missing, it being exploded by the impact of Drapney's sword. Drapney looked like a blur as she cut through Groulg forces, she being able to kill two Groulgs peer second. Just like before, many Groulgs began to retreat away from Drapney, fear of their destruction overcame their blood lust to destroy. Drapney noticed very briefly out in the distance that another Clairetti had escaped the spell, and like her, was cutting through hundreds of Groulgs.

Drapney turned her attention back to the Groulgs she was dealing with, fear visibly entering their bodies as she continued her assault.

The Chief looked down into the crowd, pleased with their progress, but he saw that three Clairetti had escaped the spell, and his heart sank. He then unsheathed his sword and charged down the hill, the Seven Elite following behind him. The Seven Elite used to be the Eight Elite before Groddier died, but they where the most elite of the Groulg forces, and had done amazing feats within war in the past. The Chief and the Seven Elite made it to the Clairetti, running past hundreds of already dead warriors. Drapney was near the back, meaning that the majority of Clairetti had died before she escaped the spell. The Chief headed towards Drapney, the Seven Elite following his path. Drapney had just finished killing the last normal Groulg that dared challenge her, and most of the Groulgs were running away from her, right past their Chief. The Chief made it to Drapney and began his assault with a powerful swing of his sword. Drapney dodged it easily, flipped over his head, and stabbed her sword through his skull. The Chief saw every moment of it, the dodge, the jump, the flip, it happened so quickly that all he could do was watch as he realized his imminent death. It was in that moment that he realized in full what it was his counselors were trying to tell him, but he had chosen to ignore them. The Chief learned a valuable lesson, but would only know it for the final second of life he had to live.The Chief fell just as easily and quickly as had the other Groulg had. Drapney, as she fell back down to the ground, yanked the Chief's head to the ground, creating a thud as he landed on his back. She then removed her sword from his head.

Drapney didn't know she had just killed the Chief, or that she was about to face the Seven Elite, but it mattered little to her. What the Groulgs did was unforgivable, that they actually tried to win this war without ever fighting a single Clairetti. An intelligent tactic, yes, but a move only a coward would make, certainly. As Drapney fell from behind the Chief after stabbing through his skull, one of the Seven tried to slice at her, but she blocked it by shifting her wing guard into the right position. With a spin of her hoof so she could face her opposers, Drapney lunged forward to attack the first of the Seven. He parried her attack, but the force of the blow not only shattered his sword into shards, but knocked him back far enough that Drapney would have enough time to fight and kill two others of the Seven, then come back to him. And that's what she did. After knocking back the first guy, she flapped her wings to propel herself to the right, and she twisted around to stab the Groulg in the back. He didn't have enough time to react, and was already on the ground in pain, and almost dead. Using the sword stuck in the other guy's back for support, she lifted herself over the top of her latest victim, pulled the sword back out as she came up, then swung for an overhead attack. The target Groulg thought that Drapney would come around from behind his fallen comrade, and not form above. So he was easily struck down, and din't even know what happened. Drapney then hopped away from the now Five Elite, and watched as they ran after her. When the first one was close enough, Drapney stomped on the ground and sent such a powerful shockwave through the ground that the first Groulg tripped and fell. Drapney positioned her sword in the right position so that the Groulg would fall on her blade, and sure enough, he did. With a flick of her neck, she tossed the Groulg to the side and removed the sword for his chest, then waited for one of the Four Elite to approach. One did, and Drapney threw her sword right into his chest, a move that none of them had anticipated. Drapney then flew forward with blinding speed, and crushed her front hooves into the next Groulg's chest. A ripple went through his body that caused all of his internal organs and most of his veins to burst. Drapney then spun around and kicked the Groulg in the head, creating a dent in his face that smashed half his skull in. The two Elite Groulgs in front of her stopped their full sprint approach, and carefully planned out what to do next. Drapney flipped back away from them and unsheathed her blade from the poor Groulg's chest, then sprinted towards the other Groulgs. One ran away while the other tried to attack. Drapney jumped and spun like a drill. The opposing Groulg thrusted his sword upward at the right moment to intercept the charging Clairetti and end her life once a for all, but Drapney opened up her wings, tilted the sword out of the way with her wing armor, and stabbed the Groulg straight through the neck, breaking his spine and nearly ripping off his head. The Groulg Drapney originally pushed back when the battle started saw all that had happened, and ran away from the scene. Two of the Seven Elite survived, but where trying to get as far away as possible. Other Groulgs out in the initial battle witnessed what had happened, and they retreated as well.

Drapney turned to see the town and find out if any of the Groulgs had made it there. Yes, they had, and they were holding the children's heads as trophies. She was filled with hatred, with sadness, with a sickening feeling that made her want to die, and she used those feeling to charge head on at the remaining Groulgs. Her and four other Clairetti Warriors had survived, and they strove forward at full speed to destroy the Groulgs that had made it past their defenses. But they were too late. All of the citizens, the foals, everypony out within the Homeland was dead. The poor people back in the Homeland were also caught by the trap, and they themselves were Helpless to do anything. The Mothers with enough willpower to break free from the spell in order to save their children did some damage, but without efficient weaponry, or combat training, they were cut down too. The Groulgs cheered at their victory, and waited for the remaining five Clairetti to make it back inside the Homeland so they could finish them off. Little did they know, they had angered the Clairetti Warriors so much that they would not live to see the next five minutes. Drapney as well as the other Clairetti made it into the Homeland, and began to destroy any and all Groulgs that came into their sight. The remaining Groulgs tried to fight back, they tried to defeat the enemies in front of them. How hard was it to defeat only five Clairetti? It was a hell of a difficult task.

Drapney went from one Groulg, to another Groulg, without hesitation, without mercy. All of her thoughts on trying to preserve as many lives as she could escaped her, and she was def to their cries for mercy. About 2,700 Groulgs had made it passed their defenses, meaning that it took as long as it did to destroy only 1,000 Groulgs, the remaining 1,300 retreated due to fear. The five Clairetti kept pushing the Groulgs farther and farther back into the Homeland. Since there were cliffs on both sides of the land, the Groulgs had to resort to locking themselves in the Command Center, the mighty fortress that they thought they had won.

Drapney and the rest of the crew succeeded in destroying a collective of 500 or so Groulgs, and pushed the rest into the fortress. Being creatures of flight, the Clairetti easily gained access to the inside of the the fortress, where 2,200 Groulgs where waiting in fear, their pride long gone after they saw how the angered Clairetti slaughtered their men. They had their weapons at the ready, but did it matter? They where all gonna die, and they knew it. The five Clairetti zoomed downward into the crowd of Groulgs, making visible splatters of blood shoot up where everyone could see, right where they landed.

Hour later, the Groulgs where dead. The Land was scattered with dead bodies, painted with blood. Drapney stood on top of the wall of the fortress, and looked out into the distance. All she saw was a crimson sea, made up of Groulgs, and Clairetti. Everything was quiet, not even the wind would blow. Drapney's body was painted red, not a single piece of gold or grey showed out from beneath her suit. The other four surviving Clairetti walked quietly with respect, counting and gathering their lost ones. Drapney flew down to the ground floor, and another Clairetti approached her.

"No one survived, we are all that's left." She said, sorrow in her words.

"How many?"Drapney asked, sorrow also being said through her words.'

"We haven't finished counting, but there is a good chase of over 3,000"

They both remained quiet, then walked on past each other. Drapney walked into a cave home, where a family or two would live. The place wasn't as red with blood, but there where still dead mares and foals laying around the place. Drapney couldn't hold it in any longer, and she broke down and cried.

One of the remaining Clairetti gathered the others for a meeting. They went to the counsel room of the fortress, which was free of blood, because no pony was in it to die. Out of the twenty seats that were set up, each for a different head of a house, only five were taken up. Drapney, now able to take a better look at the other Clairetti, noticed that Bagod was among them. The one who called the meeting together was Jyrial, a well known General that would stay behind at the Homeland and train new troops to join their ranks.

"Death counts show that we lost 2,187 warriors, 1,340 mothers and foals, creating a total of 3,527 casualties. The enemy gained 3,098 casualties. We are the only five survivors of the Homeland. Because of Ancestral Tradition, we have become a clan. War Bound as it is to be called." Jyrial stated, giving a report on what was going on. He continued to explain what they were going to do next. "Introduce yourselves. Your name and house, and position please".

The first to respond was Bagod, "Bagod, of House Kilgrad. I am an emergency squad leader."

Then somepony else went next. "Hiltwing, of House Havren. I am a third class infantry unit." Third Class was pretty prestigious, considering there are only three classes. The Classes are the most elite squadrons that are sent to on the most high stakes missions. It takes a lot to get accepted into any of the classes, but they are not ordered by how good they are. First class was the best, proven by performance, Second Class was the least best, also proven by performance, and Third class is in the middle, Proven by performance. Over the years, the different classes do change, due to a change in members. Being accepted into a Class is an honor, but you must be ready to give up your life for the well-being of the war front, and never live a normal life ever again. That alone is another reason why the Classes are so respected, because they put aside things such as wants and dreams and spend the rest of their military carrier in service to the war effort, all in order to protect Clairetti Citizens, as well as the innocence of other races.

Drapney went next, "Drapney, of House Falkren. I am a Blacklight unit" The Blacklights are Clairetti who focus on agility, stealth, and precision. They, not in the strictest of senses, are the Ninjas of the Clairetti race. Imagine if a Ninja tried to take a Warrior's place, these are the Blacklights.

Then the next Clairetti went, "My name is Remedy, of House Lighthill. I am a Bruta Unit" House Lighthill is known to be peacekeepers, caretakers. They are motivated by the well being of others around them. A Bruta Unit is nothing more than a permanent sentry, a guard as some would say. Without a doubt, Remedy was one of the few soldiers that stayed behind within the Homeland just in case some Groulg forces made it inside. Being form house Lighthill, and being a Bruta unit, Drapney assumed that Remedy was a very protective of others, and fought as the final defense between the enemy and their children, and chose to be that final defense because she believes that it is the most important of battle fronts. Most likely, she was able to escape the spell because she couldn't bear the thought of all of those children dying. In the end, she had failed.

"and I am Jyrial, of House Clauda. I am a General and Instructor of the Clairetti military." Jyrial said, finishing up the introductions. "Jyrial Clauda, Bagod Kilgrad, Hiltwing Havren, Drapney Falkren, Remedy Lighthill, we are now united, and shall be known as House Caranae (Elvish for Red Sea), the 21st organized House, and I, Jyrial Clauda, as the Head. This is a binding contract, of tradition passed down through the ages. All other Houses have been created under similar circumstances, and it is our duty to band together, and create this one. Surender your life, and your honor, to this House. If you accept tradition, and accept these terms, throw your weapons onto the table, to symbolize your acceptance."

All five of them threw their weapons on the table. House Caranae in that very moment had become an official house, all that was left to do was inform the other Houses, and create a symbol.

[House Caranae Symbol, as agreed to by members of House Caranae: The five circles represent the five Houses, they are connected together to symbolise unity, and the lines coming off of each one represents the blood they shed and saw be shed.]



***


Nightmare Moon part walked part crawled out of the Everfree Forest, tears still visibly on her face. She, now being out of the forest, looked up at the sun. It was unnatural, what thing in nature looks so perfectly round, or perfectly tinted to be a smooth shade of a single color. Same for the blue sky, how can something be a single shade of one color? Fake, it was all fake! Nightmare stopped her hoof onto the ground and made the nearby trees shake.

Nightmare got her bearings back, and began heading off towards her castle. She would need to relocate somewhere else, because Luna knew the location of that castle, and thus Nightmare couldn't stay there. The heat of the sun hit her as she walked as far of a distance as she could manage. She would try to use her wings for cover, then a tree, then anything she could get her hands on. It had taken Luna all day to fly from the castle to the Everfree forest, Nightmare realized, so at the pace she was going, she wouldn't get to the castle anytime soon. She needed time to heal, to regain her strength, and that required the aid of others. Nightmare changed her path to arrive at what she was certain was the nearest village. It took her about two hours, but she found a ban of wondering zebras in tents, not a town. Out of options, she went to that group of zebras. The zebras had seen her coming, and prepared for whatever she might do, both on a good will perspective, and a military perspective. Not many had seen Nightmare Moon, but they sure saw enough Luna. How she was going to convince them that she was Luna would be a trick, but maybe they would be willing to help an Alicorn anyway.

Nightmare made it in front of their apparent leader, and began to converse with him. "Hello, my Zebra friends."

"Good evening, what brings you here traveler?" The Zebra said.

"I'm in need of help. I am weak, and won't be able to make it back to my castle in the state I am in."

"You say you are trying to return to your castle, which castle may that be?"

"The castle within the Mountains of Prevalence"

The Zebra thought about of this a bit. "Ins't that Princess Luna's castle?"

"Yes it is."

"Why are you trying to get to the Princess' castle?"

"To gather my things and depart from it, not to return for a very long time."

The Zebra wasn't so sure, "You sure look too hurt to be visiting the Princess, what has happened to you?"

Luna almost teared up, and it took all of her strength not to show it in front of her subjects. It sure was hard to manage ones emotions now that you didn't have a conscious mind. "Are you familiar with the Tenth Millennial Sunday?"

"Indeed, but it was supposed to be yesterday. The prophecy is flawed, for the night was longer than usual, but the day did rise."

"Well it wasn't supposed to! It was all their fault!" Nightmare let out an angry scream and the Zebra took a step back. Nightmare calmed herself, "I'm so sorry. I was there, between the struggle that night. Eternal night was supposed to be fulfilled that day as Luna became the guardian of all the land, but six average ponies changed the course of fate by using the Elements of Harmony. I was defeated."

"I am sorry about the loss… and your name is"

"Nightmare Moon"

Nightmare now had their full attention, like what she said raised familiarity.

"You are Nightmare Moon?" said with some surprise.

"Yes. I am" Nightmare said with a little confusion as to what was going on. The Zebras then bowed before her.

"Your Majesty, you are material of legend passed down from each generation among all the other prophecies." The Zebra in front of her said as he stood back up. "We have wayted for your arrival since the prophecy was first created."

Nightmare was a little surprised. "What prophecy told you of my arrival?"

"It is one unique to our kind your majesty. A wise, powerful sage long ago saw a vision into the future, and all the things he saw, he told us. Each individual prophecy was concerning the great war between Day and Night, and the different signs of it's fulfillment. One of those signs being the arrival of one named Nightmare Moon. You and Luna are different beings, but the same person. The prophecy didn't make sense to us, but what we do know is that you are royalty as related to Luna."

Nightmare was impressed, not even she knew there was a prophecy concerning her directly. "Can you help me?"

"Of corse my Princess." The Zebra said, walking back into the camp to gather different materials. Nightmare followed behind her. The other Zebras lifted from their bows at this point, and went about the rest of their activities. The Zebra Nightmare was following went inside a tent, and she decided to stay outside. When he came out, he was holding a crate of different items. "My name is Pentano by the way, sorry I couldn't rightfully introduce myself at your arrival."

"I appreciate your kindness Pentano". The Zebra then started rooming things from the box. The first he got out was a small case of what looked like white cream, then a grinding stone, then some herbs. He first opened the case of white cream and applied some to the places on Nightmare Moon that looked damaged, such as bruises. After rubbing in the cream, the soreness from the bruises went away, and it relaxed Nightmare somewhat. The Zebra then grinded the herbs on the stone into a paste, then scooped it with a leaf.

"Eat this, though I warn you about the taste" The Zebra said, handing it to Nightmare.

"What is it?" She inquired,

"Something to regulate your body systems, so you can heal quickly" Nightmare shoved it into her mouth and swallowed quickly, the bitter fast got the better of her and she tried to spit the taste out.

"Why would you give me that!" Nightmare said, trying to force the taste from her mouth. The Zebra then handed her an apple and she gratefully took it, and quickly ate it. It helped, but the after taste remained.

"All you need now is to rest Princess, you are free to stay here for the night if you will"

"Thank you my faithful subject, I am grateful for your patronage at this time."

"It shall always be my pleasure your Majesty" He said with a bow. When he rose back up, he looked out at the other Zebras, "Someone, pitch another tent and furnish it with the extra sleeping mat". Two Zebras moved to the request and started to pitch the tent near all the other ones.

Nightmare bowed her head slightly at the Zebra, "Again, thank you."

"Always, Princess"

When the tent was set up, Nightmare crawled into it, layer herself on top of the sleeping mat, which was nothing more that a woven mat of leaves to keep the dirt off ones back, and tried to fall asleep. She was physically and mentally tired, and needed her rest.

Author's Note:

There you go my beloved readers, chapter 6. I've been spitting these out pretty quickly now that I think about it, a chapter a day!

Also, I just learned how to input pictures into the text, so I will be having a ton of fun with that in the future when I add more pictures to illustrate the story, it definitely will make it more enjoyable.

Questions and comments please, I love hearing from you.