• Published 25th Mar 2012
  • 912 Views, 25 Comments

Worlds in Words - Ravenmane



There's meaning in books, sometimes more than words can be found in their pages...

  • ...
7
 25
 912

Ponyville

The town was rather nice, albeit if I was staying I’d have to get used to ducking for doorways. Thatched roof houses were all over the place as Twilight guided me along. I saw plenty of other ponies; most were moving to find a place to hide. Some however were looking on with curiosity; I’m willing to believe they were willing to listen to Lyra at some point or another.

“Apple Bloom said you ran into Zecora,” Twilight said calmly. “They were scared of her too. In a while they’ll stop acting that way.”

I rubbed my eyes a little; it was still very bright to me despite the sun’s gradual setting. “Will any of them show up to this party Pinkie was talking about?”

“Some should,” she tried to reassure me, “just out of curiosity. My friends should all show up though, and I’m sure the Cutie Mark Crusaders will want to come. Then there’s Lyra’s roommate Bon Bon, I’m sure Lyra will drag her along. If only to rub it in her face that Lyra found a human.”

“And how fast does Pinkie think she can get this party up and running?”

“It only took her a few hours to arrange my welcome party and I don’t expect much more than that for you.” Twilight grinned. “More likely it’ll be less, she’ll think you’re too special to not work herself ragged setting up for.”

I was taken aback, “I don’t want her to do that for me. I mean, that would just make me feel awful if she threw this party of hers and couldn’t enjoy herself as well.”

“She’ll manage,” Twilight sighed. “She always does.”

I still felt guilty. There was a pony that was going to work herself crazy to throw a party for a complete stranger. It didn’t make sense in my head. “Is she like that often Twilight?”

“She likes to make everypony smile. It makes her happy just to know everypony else is smiling.”

I resigned myself to trusting that Twilight was right. It wasn’t that easy in the human world, but I had grown to theorize that just as this world is what the D’ni called an “age” so too could Earth. If that was true then I didn’t want to think about what our world was purposed for. As for this world, I think the writer wanted a place that was left untarnished. Perhaps to soothe their guilty conscience?

*****

We came to a stop in front of a house built into a large tree. I’ve seen tree houses before, but nothing like this. This tree is HUGE. I gave a low whistle, “this is the library?”

Twilight nodded, “I also live here. I should have Spike send a letter to Princess Celestia regarding your arrival. Would you mind posing for a picture so I can send it with the letter?”

“So she doesn’t think you’ve lost it right?”

“Yes, though I am her personal student she may think I lost it or got delusional. Once I even enchanted my Smartypants doll with a ‘Want-it-need-it’ spell so I could create something to solve.”

“Wait, ‘enchanted’ like with magic kind of enchanted?” I was still coping with the whole pony world thing. The dominant species thing was easy, the technological growth was questionable, and it seemed to be a monarchy just from hearing how Twilight spoke about Princess Celestia. My rational mind was still running on overtime processing everything. Magic hadn’t even factored in just yet, for my mind magic just didn’t add up.

“Yes,” she raised a hoof and pointed at her horn, “haven’t you seen a unicorn before?”

“I’ve read stories with them in there, but it’s still a lot to take in. The same is true with pegasi. Up until a few hours ago I’d never seen one, just stories.”

“What about earth ponies?”

“Those are real in my world, as are zebras. I’ve been all over my world and I never saw anything like this. It’s just a whole lot of new thrown in my face.”

She giggled. “I can only imagine. You said something about a linking book, like the one in your bag right?” She opened the door telekinetically and stepped inside.

I closed the door behind me. “Yeah, some of the notes we gathered were about their culture’s method of making these books. They’re vague at best, so I’m willing to think that it was just as much a trade as an art form.”

“I’ll need to see your notes and some of the original text so I can confirm what you’ve told me.”

“I’ve got quite a bit with me. If we can get a linking book to here we can move the entire library if we need to.”

“But until then we’ll,” she looked over to the stairs where a small purple dragon was walking down with a large stack of books in his arms. “Ah, Spike could you please put those books down and get a drink for our guest?”

The dragon grumbled and set the books down against the wall. “Sure thing Twi-” he looked at me and stopped dead mid word. “Uh Twilight, this is our guest?!”

I nodded, “water will be fine Spike.” Cope now, freak out later. It sounded perfect in my head, but not showing it on my face at every turn was the hard part.

“Right, water coming right up mister..?”

“Nick will be fine,” I replied calmly. “I hope we can get along Spike.”

“Well alright Nick,” he blinked, still a little confused.

I rolled my eyes, “focus Spike, a glass of water please. Also, before you ask Lyra was right and Pinkie wants to throw me a party.”

“Oh, well okay Nick. Thanks for that.” He went off into the kitchen.

Twilight smiled, “used to doing that?”

“Once I had a protégé, she had trouble with concentration when presented with too many questions.”

“So what did you do?”

“Directed her to a science that had fewer questions and more answers, last I checked she was teaching physics.”

Twilight giggled, “I wish I could do that with Spike. But he’s my number one assistant and I need to take care of him.” She smiled, “he’s still a baby dragon after all.”

I chuckled, “we get everything setup then we go to the party. We can hit the books in the morning right?”

“Sounds good, I’ll need a lot of different books to help.”

I started to get books out of my bag, mostly journals and translations. “Let me give you a hand when I’m done.”

“Just keep that linking book of yours hidden, we don’t want Spike accidentally going into your world.”

We set all the books and notes off to one side of the upstairs bedroom and came back downstairs. Spike had a glass of water for me and it was downed in nearly the time it took for me to take it back into the kitchen. After returning from the kitchen, we were out the door, Spike in the lead. Twilight and I just chatted about what we would like to figure out.

“So,” I said, “I’d like to learn more about Equestria. I mean like more than just the area. I’d like to know its people, places, history, you know, the works.”

“I can help you, but some of it you’ll just have to ask around. For example, Spike has a better feel for day-to-day. Talk to Rainbow Dash about the weather, Fluttershy about the flora and fauna. Rarity and Pinkie should be good sources of our culture. Zecora would be best if you want to learn about the zebra’s culture.”

“Yeah, I might need a hand with her. I’m a little shaky with her meter. It just doesn’t flow right with me.” We came to a large building that looked like a giant gingerbread house. “Let me guess, Pinkie Pie lives here?”

Twilight nodded. “She lives upstairs along with the Cake family. This is Sugarcube Corner, the town’s bakery and sweetshop. Let’s just hope there’s more than just us, Pinkie, and Lyra okay?”

I nodded and opened the door. Inside it was dark, but I could make out several figures. I’d wager about twelve. Suddenly the lights flickered on and a myriad of ponies with various colors of fur and manes came into view. I saw the exuberant Pinkie Pie, still with energy to burn at the forefront of them; the Cutie Mark Crusaders and a purple pony I wasn’t sure of were just behind her. Over beside a table with a bowl of punch and a tray of cupcakes was the minty green unicorn Lyra and, who I could guess to be her roommate Bon Bon. However, the pack between the two groups was completely unknown to me.

“Nick,” Twilight said as she pointed a hoof to the group of unfamiliar ponies, “these are my best friends.”

A cyan colored pegasus came to the forefront of the group, her rainbow colored mane and tail led me to think this was Rainbow Dash. “Hey there,” her voice, while chipper, was filled with uncertainty. “I’m Rainbow Dash.”

I could only smile, “I’m not going to hurt anyone if that’s what you’re afraid of.” I had to try to relieve apprehensions. “I’d like to know everyone.”

Lyra waved her hoof and got my attention. “This is Bon Bon, she’s my roommate. Hope the two of you can get along.” She turned to look at the pony beside her, “right Bon Bon?”

The Cutie Mark Crusaders pushed the pony they were with up front and center. “This here is our teacher Cheerilee,” said Apple Bloom.

“Girls,” I said sternly, “don’t go pushing her here. It’s very rude.”

Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo looked down at the ground, but Apple Bloom gave me a pouty, albeit cute, face. “Sorry Nick,” they all said in unison.

“Don’t apologize to me girls, apologize to your teacher.”

“Sorry Miss Cheerilee.”

“It’s okay girls,” she said warmly. “I’m sorry too though, they dragged me here. I was supposed to be watching them and well…”

I raised a hand, causing Lyra to squeal. “It’s okay. I’m happy they did, it’s a pleasure to meet you Miss Cheerilee.”

Cheerilee blushed, “but they shouldn’t have done that anyways.”

“Oh I agree Cheerilee,” said a rather proper looking white unicorn. Now that she had drawn attention to herself, she batted her eyelashes at me, flashing her curly purple mane at me. “I’m Rarity, a pleasure Nick.”

I could only look over to her and stay pleasant, “charmed Rarity.”

Pinkie flipped a switch on a stereo and beamed. “Come on everypony, let’s party!”

As the night passed, I met everyone else. Fluttershy, who had to be dragged forward by several ponies. Applejack was rather nice and comfortable after how supportive her sister acted about me. All things considered, it was a nice little welcome party. It felt like the get-togethers I had with everyone back in the underground city. We gathered around for the picture Twilight wanted and Spike took it, everypony gathered in around me.