• Published 25th Mar 2012
  • 1,668 Views, 25 Comments

The Spice of Life - Peppermill's Stories - Mr Merritt



Peppermill and his adventures

  • ...
0
 25
 1,668

A Spoonful Of Forgiveness

Three months.

Ninety days.

It was a time period that almost every school-aged foal in Ponyville waited with baited breath every year.

The summer holiday.

No more lessons, no more books, no more Miss Cheerilee’s dirty looks

But for one particular filly, this time frame was going to be the changing point in her young life.

Silver Spoon, heir to the second biggest fortune in Ponyville, would have been willing to trade her sizable weekly allowance for those precious three months to come sooner. It wasn’t because she was one of the type that dreaded the perceived tedium of education. In fact, few of the other fillies and colts knew that she was academically one of the top students only matched by the budding candy maker Twist.

It was, she would admit sadly, because of her ‘best’ friend.

Yes, she was the best (and only) friend to Diamond Tiara who herself was heir to the largest fortune in town. Yes, the two seemed attached to the hip especially when it came to lording over the ‘common’ ponies Diamond Tiara seemed to loath. But even the grey filly with the long white braided mane had to admit that there was only so much of her friend’s grating personally she could take before it drove her round the bend.

Silver Spoon, contrary to popular belief, was not a bad pony. She certainly wasn’t a natural bully, unlike Diamond Tiara who seemed to revel in the claim. But it was an impossible task to say no to her only friend when she got it into her head to prove yet again her superiority. And despite claims made, she hated the fact that she more often than not was seen as a ‘yes mare.’ or ‘Diamond Tiara’s sidekick’.

But the summer holiday, or to be specific this summer holiday things would change.

And it would all start on the day Diamond Tiara, as she did every summer holiday, said her goodbyes.

Every summer Diamond Tiara would go with her parents to their holiday home practically on the other side of Equestria. As a result it meant that for ninety precious days Diamond Tiara could not dictate what Silver Spoon should do on a almost daily basis. It also meant that she was no longer expected to agree with everything Diamond said or did with blind loyalty, especially when she disagreed it with immensely. In short, she could be her own filly for once.

And she had a lot of fences to mend and bridges to rebuild after being burned to ashes by Diamond.

She went through the motions of seeing her friend off and being grateful for whatever little trinket that Diamond would get her as a souvenir of her trip. She waved as the train pulled away, with Diamond waving from her family’s personal car. She even squeezed out a tear or two for extra oomph, just to placate Diamond’s sizable ego.

And she left a sizable dust cloud the second the train was out of sight…

***

Silver Spoon’s eyes sparkled and her mind was bursting with ideas on how to improve her tarnished image with her school mates. She knew it wasn’t going to be easy, given that some were just as good as Diamond was at holding grudges. But she had a plan, and that plan centered around the blank flanks…

“Ugh!” The grey filly winced and gave herself a solid smack in the forehead. This was exactly the sort of thing that she had been dreading. She had been playing the part of the bully for so long she sometimes couldn’t get out of the mindset. If she wanted to prove that she was not Diamond’s shadow, she needed to start getting her mind in the game.

And if she was going to make a life-altering change, she was going to go full throttle and take the bull by the horns.

Or perhaps a Pegasus by the wings.

Silver Spoon wandered along the various carts that made up the Farmer’s Market in Ponyville. During the same summer months when school was out, the various producers in and around the town would set up carts of their goods for purchase. The filly, if given half the chance, would of camped out at the market every day savouring the smells and tastes the market offered.

Some ponies seemed to think that the filly’s cutie mark, an actual silver spoon, was related to her financial position. It usually took her an immense amount of self-control not to scream Being rich isn’t a talent! whenever this happened. The symbol of an exquisite eating utensil actually referred to the filly’s rather impressive gourmet tastes. She was a food connoisseur of high rank, though few knew of it. While her parents might not of had a problem with it, she knew she could never tell Diamond Tiara her goal in life was to be the greatest food critic in Equestria.

She always shook her head (in private, of course) at how Diamond could be so narrow minded sometimes. To her, farm fresh produce beat out all of the expensive cuisine that was shipped to her mansion on a daily basis. There was only so much decadence a pony ought to stomach before getting bored, if they were lucky. There was just so many amazing flavours and tastes to enjoy to settle for the supposed ‘best’.

Of course, Silver Spoon would admit that sometimes you had to watch yourself when dealing with some of the food growers that came to town during these months. There were always some ponies that considered the Farmer’s Market to be a quick source of bits, and had little problem with being less than honest about their wares. The though that some pony would willingly fib about the quality of their food just to pry a few more bits from another annoyed the filly immensely.

But she wasn’t going to dwell on that. She was on a mission, and she was going to succeed come heck or high water. This detour through the market was nothing if not a boost to her spirits and a sure fire way to ’accidentally’ bump into any number of colts or fillies she needed to make amends with.

The irony that the last coherent thought she would have for a considerably long time would be ‘bumping into some pony’ was lost to time.

A basket of impressive beet greens had caught the young filly’s eye as she trotted along the path between the stalls. That moment of attention taken off the path was all that was needed for her to bump solidly into something. He glasses were knocked askew on her face and she staggered back in mild panic at all the fuzzy blobs in her vision. She had to bite her tongue to keep from snapping out a Diamond Tiara-esque comment about ponies not getting out of her way. Instead, she decided this could be as good of any time to start making proper friends.

“I’m so sorry, I wasn’t paying attention where…I…was…going…?”

The first thought that came to the filly was I don’t recognize this colt. The next was Wow, I`ve never seen a colt quite like this before…

“That’s…quite all right. I…should of…made room…for passing ponies…”

The third thought that lodged itself quite firmly into Silver Spoon’s mind was quite simple:

Wow…

***

Sunsets tended to be quite impressive at Sweet Apple Acres. They also provided the perfect opportunity for reflection on the simple things in life.

Sunsets also were one of the few times of the day when Big Macintosh could afford a few minutes of rest for the daily grind that made up his life. Of course, in recent times it also gave him the opportunity to bond with the young colt that had become as close to an actual little brother to him. And so the red stallion and the grey colt sat under one of the larger trees, watching as Celestia’s orb pushed past the horizon.

“I…met a…new filly today.”

“Hmm…”

“…”

“…”

“She has three wings…”

“…”

“…”

“…wut?”

“I…knew it.” snickered Peppermill. “You…weren’t paying…attention.” Big Mac gave a harumph, and nudged the colt with a fore hoof hard enough to knock him over. Peppermill immediately sat back up, still chuckling.

“Seriously though…I did…meet one. But…there might…be a problem.”

“Since when is meeting somepony new a problem?” rumbled the red pony.

“Well…her name is…Silver Spoon.”

“Hmmm…that name does sound familiar…”

“As in…’Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon’…” Peppermill carefully watched the stallion’s face. Sure enough after a moment a small frown crossed Big Mac’s face.

“Reckon I get it now…they’re the ones Applebloom goes on about. You’d think those two were the second comin’ of Nightmare Moon.”

“I know…Applebloom would…have a fit…if she found out. Especially since…”

“Since?” prodded Big Mac.

“Well…I enjoyed…meeting Silver Spoon. She…didn’t act…at all like…how Applebloom…said she might. She’s smart…funny…and she knows…a lot about…cuisine.” Peppermill decided to not mention that he thought the filly was quite pretty, since he suspected it would make it sound like he was a bit too into her.

“And being an Apple, mah littlest sis is too stubborn to start thinking otherwise about one of her worst enemies…”

“So…what do…I do?” Colt and stallion sat there in their thoughts after this question. Big Mac found himself completely lost in how to handle this delicate situation. His experience as an elder sibling extended solely to dealing with female relations. The concept of having to offer sage advice to a colt about male things went over his head, no matter how tall he stood. Meanwhile Peppermill felt a mix of regret and uncertainty. It didn’t feel right having to spring such a tricky question onto the draft horse. And for all of his talk of independence, Peppermill knew he was in dire need of advice in how to handle the situation he found himself in.

“Big Mac! Peppermill!” Both male ponies jumped in surprise as their thoughts were stopped cold by a familiar youthful twang coming towards them.

“Applebloom…” announced the grey colt carefully, trying to convince himself that the yellow filly hadn’t developed a mind-reading cutie mark.

“Watcha two doing out here?” Applebloom promptly plopped herself in between her brother and her friend. The two males shared a surprised lifting of an eyebrow at this, but didn’t press.

“Just…enjoying the…sunset.” admitted Peppermill.

“Eyup.”

“Heh…ya mean I didn’t interrupt some sort of boy talk or nuttin’?”

“And why…would a filly…care about…’boy talk’?” questioned the colt.

“I’m jus’ joshin’ ya.” grinned Applebloom. “Actually, I came up here to ask iffin you got any plans tomorrow Peppermill.”

“Plans?”

“Well,” began the yellow filly, “seeing that Sweetie Belle is gone to visit her parents for the next week and Scootaloo is at Young Junior Flyers I’m kinda on mah own for the first part of the school holiday. I hoped maybe you an’ me could do something…” Peppermill mind raced, torn between what could be the two most important fillies in his young life. Fortunately Big Mac threw him a much needed lifeline.

“I got Peppermill runnin’ errands fer me tomorrow. Means I can get more work done here while I let him handle the stuff in town.”

“Oh…” murmured the youngest Apple, slightly mollified. “Well, I guess if you need him to help ya…”

“Don’t worry…Applebloom. I’m sure…I’ll have time…the day after tomorrow.”

“That’s okay. I reckon I can find something to do.”

“Come on, time to head in.” announced Big Mac. He led the two younger ponies back to the farmhouse, all the while wondering just what the grey colt was going to do to get himself out of the predicament he was in.

***

Silver Spoon couldn’t remember if she ever experienced such a massive swing of emotions in such a short time. What had began as a well-thought out plan to get out of Diamond Tiara’s looming shadow had become full of…complications.

But as complications went, being around such an incredible colt was pretty acceptable.

His knowledge of food was incredible, a far cry from a lot of the ponies that she knew. He also didn’t openly dislike her, another notable difference from the norm. And while she liked to think she was above such thinking (despite giving in to Diamond’s tendency to pour over magazines and drooling over stallions in them) Peppermill didn’t look at all like the other colts in town. And his voice, dear Celestia, that voice! That rasp just sounded so…so…

“Snap out of it!” scolded the filly to herself, glancing around in case somepony had overheard her exclamation. She was waiting near Carrot Top’s stand, as Peppermill had asked her to when they left each other’s company the day before. Every moment she waited her mind would push unpleasant thoughts into her mind. What if he changed his mind…what if he doesn’t come…what if he tricked me…

“Silver…Spoon!” The masculine rasp of Peppermill cut into her thoughts, and she felt herself relax. She looked up to flash him a winning smile when she felt him race by, grabbing her tail in his mouth, and drag her around the back of the carrot stand. The next thing she knew he had a hoof pressed firmly to her mouth, and he was peeking around the corner.

“Hmm…humph?” she managed weakly.

“Shh!” hissed the colt, as much to the filly as to Carrot Top herself, who stood beside them with a puzzled look on her face. Silver Spoon felt a flicker of anger surge through her, and was about to give the colt a piece of her mind when…

“Peppermill? Where are you?”

Silver Spoon felt her heart freeze at the familiar feminine drawl of Applebloom calling out. Meanwhile, the colt in question was giving a desperate look to Carrot Top at the same time as he spied the yellow filly approach. Before he could plead his case, the youngest Apple sibling was at the stand.

“Hey Carrot Top, you haven’t seen Peppermill around here today?” The golden yellow mare’s attention was torn between the double shot of puppy dog eyes from both Peppermill and Silver Spoon and the questioning amber glitter from Applebloom.

“You just missed them…er, him.” managed the mare. “He was…heading to Sugarcube Corner.”

“Huh, I jes came from there. Oh well, thanks…” The two grey ponies held their breath through the entire exchange, and only released it when Carrot Top spoke.

“She’s gone.”

“That was close…” squeaked Silver Spoon.

“Stubborn…” was Peppermill’s only comment. He addressed Carrot Top. “Thank you…Carrot Top. I…owe you…”

“No, no. You two kids just go and have fun.” Carrot Top could tell the two younger ponies were grateful, but the mare also sensed that the two were just as glad to still be together. Without another word the two grey ponies went on their way, making sure to go the complete opposite way Applebloom had. Carrot Top couldn’t help but smile at the two.

“Heh…young love…” she chuckled as she tended to her wares.

***

“I swear…she must be…taking lessons…from Pinkie.” grumbled Peppermill. It seemed as though Applebloom showed up at every place they went that day. No matter how hard they tried, that red mane a bobbing pink bow was everywhere. It was reaching a point that Peppermill was beginning to think somepony was conspiring against him and Silver Spoon. Even Silver Spoon’s heroic efforts at keeping her temper in check were starting to fail.

“This is getting ridiculous!” grumbled the filly as her and the colt took refuge inside the ice cream parlour. They had a window seat, but sat on the edges of their respective seats ready to dive for cover should their huntress appear. She couldn’t even enjoy the strawberry sorbet that the grey colt had suggested for her.

“I’m wondering…if it might…be better…in the long run…just to…take the chance…that she…might accept our friendship.” sighed Peppermill, stirring his dish of mint chip ice cream.

“I’d like to not spend the rest of summer vacation in traction, thank you very much.” snapped Silver.

“Applebloom is not…like that.”

“Peppermill, do you know why there aren’t any colt bullies around here? That’s because every one that tried ended up on the wrong end of a buck from her. Why she hasn’t tried to take a round out of Diamond Tiara is beyond me…”

“Would it…make you feel…any better if…I was willing…to take a hit…for you?”

“You don’t have to do that…for me, I mean…” answered Silver, flustered. It was just like Peppermill to let loose a noble sentiment that would make her like him even more. Still, she didn’t like the idea of having some pony else defending her. Celestia knew Silver Spoon probably deserved a buck or two after the way she had treated Applebloom in the past.

“I think…I have…an idea…” murmured the grey colt. “We…are going to…have to make…a run for it.”

“Where?!” moaned the grey filly. “There is no where to go.”

“There is…one place…we can go. One place…we can find…some help…in handling her. Come on!” Silver Spoon managed to take a quick spoonful of sorbet before making a run for it with the colt. The moment they stepped outside however, things went wahoonie-shaped. As if by magic the yellow filly rounded the corner just as the grey ponies went around the other. Applebloom caught a glimpse of familiar black mane and immediate sped up her pace. When she reached the corner she saw, in the distance Peppermill and…

“Silver Spoon?!?” The howl of outrage caused the filly in question to yelp and bolt ahead of Peppermill.

“This way…hurry!” cried the colt, leading his friend towards the outskirts of town to what he felt would be the safest haven.

He just hoped Applebloom’s hatred didn’t overflow onto the other Apples.

***

Applejack and Big Macintosh were in the process of loading some baskets of apples into a cart when they first heard the calls.

”Get back here!”

“Applebloom?” said Applejack, puzzled.

”Over there…by the cart…quick!”

“Peppermill?” rumbled Big Mac.

“We’ll never make it!” This third voice was unfamiliar to the elder Apple ponies, but the tone of panic was enough to make them look at the source. The sight of two madly running ponies being pursued by a furious Applebloom made the decision to act easy. Applejack raced ahead to cut off her little sister, just as Peppermill grabbed Silver Spoon to dive between the tree trunk legs of Big Mac. With two full grown ponies between them and their red-maned pursuer, they could finally catch their breath.

“Applebloom! Wut in tarnation is goin on?” demanded the orange mare.

“AJ! You gotta get her away from him!” demanded the yellow filly, her amber eyes blazing. “That’s Silver Spoon! She’s the worst…”

“You ok?” This was the question from Big Mac to Peppermill, as he gazed down at him and the grey filly. Judging from the panting they gave, he decided to wait for an answer.

“Ah think you need to calm down sis.” intoned Applejack. “Ahm sure there is a good explanation for this…”

“Explanation nuttin’! She’s gonna ruin everything!”

“Ruin *pant* what?” mumbled Silver Spoon, trying not to cringe at the layer of dust she seemed to be generating on her body.

“I ain’t gonna let you turn him against me! I’m sick of you and Diamond always making fun of me for not having a cutie mark! Peppermill is mah friend I ah ain’t gonna let you take him from me!” Applebloom juked and managed to get around her sister, attempting to get at Silver Spoon. Silver gave a squeak and braced herself for impact.

“I can’t let you do that Applebloom.” This simple statement from the red stallion was like a bucket of cold water dropped onto the filly. She might be willing to face down Applejack, but Applebloom wasn’t about to push her luck with her big brother. She came to a screeching halt, mere feet away from a trembling Silver Spoon. Before she could respond, Peppermill ducked under the stallion’s body and advanced angrily on the filly.

“What…is your…problem?” demanded Peppermill. “I know…Silver hasn’t…endeared herself…to you in…the past…but…your acting…like me and her friendship…is the end…of the world.”

“But…”

“Look,” said Silver, pulling herself to her hooves and addressing the filly. “I know you won’t believe this but I’m…sorry.”

“Wut?”

“I know that I haven’t…well, me and Diamond haven’t been the nicest of ponies to you. But I don’t want to be like that anymore. I’m not like that, really.” Silver approached Applebloom, who was virtually vibrating with rage. “I’m sorry for making fun of you. It wasn’t right of me to do that. I had every intention on spending this summer holiday making it up to you, without having to worry about Diamond Tiara. But then, I met Peppermill…”

“Silver…knows as much…about food and cuisine…as I do. It’s…nice…to be able…to talk about…that.” piped in the colt.

“I like Peppermill. He wasn’t immediately ready to hate me like the other colts and fillies in town. He’s smart, he’s…cool. And he’s surprisingly loyal to you. If it wasn’t for the fact that I knew you’d act exactly how you are now, I would of taken his advice and tried to befriend you days ago…”

“So, when you would call me a ‘blank flank’ all those times…?”

“I was just following Diamond Tiara’s lead. Believe me, if I had even considered defending you I’d be in the same boat.” Applebloom stared at the grey filly, then to Peppermill and back again. For a moment it looked as if she might be willing to accept this explanation. But foal hood cruelty can run very, very deep.

“No! No, no, no! It’s lies, all lies! You ain’t ever gonna be mah friend, and I ain’t gonna let you take one on mine!” With that, Applebloom almost did the unthinkable. She reared up angry and jabbed at Silver Spoon’s face. She might of made contact if it weren’t for Peppermill diving in the way.

POW!

“Ouch!”

“Peppermill!” gasped Silver Spoon.

“No! I didn’t…augh!” Horrified and hurt emotionally at the sight of Peppermill staggering back from her blow, Applebloom raced off in the direction of the farmhouse. The grey colt sat upon the ground, rubbing his cheek and wincing. Silver Spoon looked almost sick with worry, as did Applejack. Big Macintosh could only sigh and shake his head. He suspected that this situation could have been handled better, and he suspected that his plan to keep Applebloom out of the proverbial loop was entirely his fault.

“This…this is my fault.” whimpered Silver Spoon. “Why did I ever think everything could just change? No one is ever going to be my friend…”

“I’m…ouch…your friend.” grunted Peppermill, trying to convince himself he hadn’t lost a tooth.

“It seems our family stubbornness has caused more harm than good this time.” sighed Applejack.

“I’m not completely innocent. I did everything she accused me of.” remarked Silver sadly.

“But yer trying to make amends. That’s important.” insisted the orange mare.

“Forgiveness ain’t always easy.” rumbled Big Mac.

“But how do I prove to her that I can change?” sighed Silver Spoon.

“I…might have…an idea.” admitted Peppermill, picking himself off the ground. “But I’ll…need every ponies…help.” Needless to say his adoptive family were all ears for whatever plan the colt had in mind.

***

Applebloom was not the violent type. Sure, having been born and raised on a farm meant that she had to toughen up in a hurry to be able to follow along with the daily chores required to keep the farm running smoothly. But that didn’t mean she considered strength to be her only tool. While she was happy to offer her muscle to deal with the rare uprising from a colt who thought he could physically intimidate a classmate, the idea of raising a hoof to anypony bothered her.

And yet she had just tried to strike another pony.

No, she had struck another pony. Not just any pony, but one that she considered as close to a brother as her own flesh and blood. One who, she would admit, she genuinely loved.

And she thought her heart would break as she laid in her bed, clutching a pillow so hard it looked ready to burst and dampening the sheets with her tears.

As she sniffed back fat tears, something began to tickle her nose. For a moment, she was afraid she had actually managed to burst open her pillow. The idea that she would cause a cloud of feathers to wreck her normally tidy room only served to deepen her misery. But after a few moments it became apparent that it was not feathers that were reaching her snout, it was…

“…apple soup?” It was a dish that had one time been rarely seen on the Sweet Apple Acres dining table. But when Peppermill had came into their lives, it became a welcome staple. It proved to be one of the grey colt’s best dishes and he only made it on special occasions. It was one of Applebloom’s favourite meals, and she always felt that Peppermill put a lot of care, effort and himself into it.

But why would he be making it now?

He couldn’t possibly be trying to apologize to her?

Maybe he was trying to lure her out to talk…

Whatever the case, Applebloom felt the need to answer the siren call of the savoury soup and trudge down the stairs with red-rimmed eyes. As she entered the kitchen, she saw the back of grey fur standing at the stove. She almost called out to the cook, when something registered in her mind. Instead of black mane, a long grey braid hung down the back of the pony before her. There was only one pony she knew like that.

“Silver Spoon?” she gasped. At the sound of her name, the filly in question turned to face the yellow filly. Applebloom gave another gasp at the sight of the dirt and dust all over the filly’s face. She looked tired, but happy.

“Are you feeling better Applebloom?” she asked.

“Yer…yer making apple soup?”

“Not with out some help…” She tossed her head back towards the kitchen table, where Peppermill sat with an approving smile. Before Applebloom could respond, the colt motioned her to take a seat. As the yellow filly obeyed Silver Spoon began to carefully ladle three bowls of soup and placed them at the table. As much as she wanted to dig in and drian the bowl, Applebloom was wary.

“Are you tryin’ to get back on mah good side Peppermill?” she demanded.

“No, that would be me.” admitted Silver Spoon as she stiffly took a seat.

“Wuts with you?” asked the Apple filly.

“She’s…sore from…trying to…buck apples. Believe me…I know…what that’s like.”

“Did you just say Silver Spoon was buckin’ apples?!”

“Trying to buck, at any rate.” sighed the grey filly, “I’m going to be sore for the rest of the week. I honestly don’t know how your family does it.”

“And not…just apples. She gathered…all the ingredients…all on her own. Well…with a bit of…supervision from me.”

“And I pretty much did this all on my own. I really should ask my mom and dad to give our cook a raise. Peppermill makes it sound so easy, but it’s not…”

“Jus wait a second! Yer…yer telling’ me Silver Spoon made all this…fer…us?”

“Well, mostly for you. But I have to admit I’d really like to try this.” conceded the grey filly.

“Why?!” The question came out louder and more hotly than Applebloom would of liked, but Silver chose not to comment.

“Peppermill seems to have this theory that food is the penultimate way to solve anything. In this case, it’s how I can prove to your that I truly want to change. Would the old Silver Spoon actually buck apples and work over a hot stove?”

“Ah…guess not. But wut about Diamond Tiara? How do I know you two ain’t got something planned to trick me?”

“Diamond Tiara isn’t even in Ponyville right now. She never is during the summer holidays. Normally I keep to myself because…well, because I know if I went out alone there are some ponies that might try to take advantage. There are a lot of hooves I’ve stepped on being with Diamond.” The realization that Silver Spoon would literally have to go into hiding for months at a time hit Applebloom hard. While she might of wished ill of her, this was a bit much.

“I’m ah blank flank.” she stated flatly, grasping at straws at this point. She wanted to hate the filly in the worst way, but it was getting hard to do. “And Peppermill is from Canterlot. His family…well, it sounds like they were popular…”

“As far as cutie marks go I know, unlike Diamond Tiara, that it doesn’t change who you are. And to be honest I never thought about what money or fame Peppermill‘s family had”

“That’s…not the point. The point…is that we…three are here now.” intoned the colt quickly. He placed a hoof onto Applebloom’s. “Applebloom…I think…of you…like the…little sister…I never had. And while…I know you…want to…protect me, you can’t…choose my…friends for me. I know…you and Silver…have had issues. But…things change…ponies change. I would…love it…if you two…could just…let bygones be…bygones.”

“Besides,” sighed Silver, “things are bound to get ugly when Diamond comes back when the holiday is over. It will break her heart, but I can’t let her boss me around anymore. I want real friends like Peppermill…and you?” Applebloom looked at Peppermill, then to Silver Spoon, then back to the colt.

“Silver Spoon might be able to do that puppy dog look, but you look like you got somethin’ in yer eye…” The was a minute of silence, then Silver Spoon began to giggle.

“She’s right. You need to pout more…”

“Humph…colts don’t…do ‘puppy eyes’. I was…going…for charming.”

“Well, whatever it was it worked.” laughed Applebloom. “I can’t promise anything, but I’m willing to try.” With that the yellow filly offered a hoof to Silver Spoon. The grey filly beamed and shook on it.

“Of course,” added Applebloom, “we got something to deal with before Diamond Tiara comes back.”

“Oh?” questioned Peppermill.

“How in Equestria are we gonna explain this to Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo?” Silver Spoon and Peppermill ‘s faces went blank.

“Oh…bother…”

FIN