• Published 27th Feb 2014
  • 457 Views, 2 Comments

Falls and Follies of a Princess - Michael Hudson



Celestia is the ruler all wish to achieve. She has the perfect kingdom and happy subjects, but how did this all happen? What caused her to learn what it takes to be a good ruler? And what did she got wrong first?

  • ...
3
 2
 457

Send Off

Nostalgia was something that Celestia often dreamt of; fond past memories of times with Inkwell or Sunset Shimmer that would comfort her as she slept. Recently though, her dreams were plagued with flashes from a time before her kind kingdom of Equestria. A time when her white fur and rainbow mane would cause ponies to cower and run, and when her voice was harsh and severe, instead of sweet and playful. The times after Discord, when leadership was beyond her. A time when she had to be the student, instead of the teacher.

With this, the image in her mind struck her with such force she leapt from her bed, Celestia’s horn aglow ready to tear apart any threat to herself. However, she found herself alone with her thoughts and her fears. She looked out her window, spotting Luna coming back to her perch, smiling at the reminder of how far she had come from then. She had her sister, and her citizens were happy ponies who would be happy to call her friend. She would not find sleep tonight though, not until the treaty to continue passage between Equestria and Zebrul, the land of zebras, was finished.

Celestia found herself having to rush off though, lest she be late to raise the sun. “Oh how late did that vision keep me to have caused this?” She knew she would not be late by more than a minute or two, but she was still embarrassed to have almost forgotten about her most important duty. It did help clear her mind though, watching as the sun rose above the horizon. What was once so taxing, now almost therapeutic. Or at least routine at this point. Her calm morning would not last though.

“What is this? It looks quite formal. Dear Griselda…” Celestia cringed seeing the draconequus. Head of a pony, and the body parts of other creatures was always unsettling to see. Seeing the spirit of chaos play with important documents was horrifying though, even for a thousand year old princess

“Discord, put those down. They are important, and you promised to leave my castle be as a part of your reformation. Therefore you had better have a good reason to be here, and a plan to leave soon. Please.”

“Don’t put your tail into a twist.” Discord doing just that while chuckling. “This is merely a friendly visit, because we are such good friends. Besides, I’m being good and not doing a thing to your precious, uh, precious what exactly?”

“A deal speaking of the recent closing off of the waterways to Zebrul. I had to stop ponies from going there recently,”

“Stop ponies from travelling eh? Sounds awfully restrictive of our supposedly kind princess and ruler” Discords eyes narrowing and suddenly shifting to surprise. “Well, if it isn’t my favorite newly promoted princess. I hope you have been doing well dear Twilight.” Discord curling around the now worried Twilight, having walked in just a moment earlier.

“I came as you wanted princess, to act as advisor and ambassador for the treaty with Griselda. However, why is Discord here?” Normally the purple alicorn was calm and intellectual, but the last line had come out angry and annoyed.”Are you here to ruin another meeting of princesses, even against Celestia’s orders?”

“I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about.” A halo appearing around Discord as he glowed innocently, and with a snap a flock of doves flew out from him. “I had this irresistible urge to come and see what our dear princess was up to. I honestly didn’t know that you were coming. Now, about this treaty.” Celestia felt her annoyance rise at the spirit in front of her, and his dangerous curiosity.

“If I tell you why I need to make the treaty, will you leave us be?”

“Cross my heart and hope to fly.”

“Alright. I suppose it cannot hurt more than your presence in the castle would. Griselda, high counselor of the zebras, has become increasingly paranoid and isolated over the years. Her most recent action has been to place ships along the currents that take ships to and from Zebrul. They have stopped many such trips of travelling ponies, and her latest letter distresses me greatly. It talks of capturing the poor ponies who only seek knowledge, and to start guarding the air, in case any pegasi decide to try to set hooves on her lands. She still allows her own citizens leave, but trade between our two kingdoms must be kept open and fair, otherwise the zebras may take advantage of the one sided trade system. Therefor, I am trying to placate her worries and allow my people the freedom to her lands.” Celestia smiled within, knowing she had done her past justice, worrying about her little ponies need for excitement and adventure.

“And if, by chance, she were to tighten the restrictions further? Or starts to trap her own zebras in exchange for the allowance of your own ponies? Could you let that happen?” Even though Discord was using his normal mischievous tones, Celestia looked frightened. Twilight stepped forward, between Celestia and Discord.

“That is why I am going to negotiate terms, and as a sign of goodwill, I will even be tying my wings back and Zecora will give me an enchanted ring that will block my magic. This way Griselda will be able to be calm in my presence, for we will be on even hoofing.” Twilight was beaming at Discord while the chaotic being crossed his arms and huffed.

“Fine, I was just trying to stir things up a little bit around here. I hear palace life can be quite dull, or at least that’s how Cadence tells it.” As Discord prepared to leave though, Celestia chimed in with,

“Thank you for your input Discord. Perhaps if I believe I am being too soft, or need a new perspective on an old problem, I may call upon your help again.” Discord looked shocked, then sincerely bowed to Celestia before snapping, and in a flash was gone.

“What did you mean again?” Twilight’s eyes held fear within them as Celestia looked back. The princess helped calm Twilight by brushing her dark blue and pink mane, bringing Twilight in close, knowing her pupil deserved to know what troubles she had been facing, and why she had been so annoyed this morning.

“Twilight, I do not wish to talk about it now,” Celestia now putting the finishing touches on the treaty, “I want you to go on your journey. It will take time, so if you want to know what has been plaguing me recently, and what Discord has taught me, take this story from my room. I wrote them with an unexpected friend and was supported by the journals from my teacher so as to fill in the holes neither of us could. Now go please.” Celestia now handed Twilight the treaty and a scroll with the title of the book she was supposed to read.

Celestia went off in another direction then her room. Twilight would be so scared, so worried for her sake. It warmed Celestia’s heart to know she was cared for so deeply by one of her dearest friends. However, fear and doubt sprang up in her mind. She knew Twilight put the sun princess on an almost unattainable pedestal, and that the book would show just how weak she had been once. Would the young filly think so kindly of her ruler afterward, or would the story reveal too much, and break all of the illusions the young mare had of the ancient ruler.