• Published 27th Feb 2014
  • 282 Views, 7 Comments

2500 miles to Manehattan - Air Heart



Vinyl, Octavia, Lyra and carrot top wake up with 4 days missing and 2500 miles, cops, the mob and 50 million in gold between them and home.

  • ...
 7
 282

Complications

"So now what do we do?" asked Carrot Top.

"We find out where Bonbon is obviously" I replied "make sure she's okay."

"And where do you suggest we start? ‘Cause she ain't fuckin here" replied Carrot Top loudly, gesturing around to the restaurant, causing some of the other ponies at other tables to look over.

"Please don't" groaned Octavia, her hooves on her ears.

"I dunno maybe she went to go get food and went back to the room" I replied.

"Well if that's the case, someone will have seen her, so we could ask at the front desk" reasoned Octavia.

"Good okay let's go" Lyra said suddenly, standing up from her seat, blood dripping onto the table as she moved.

"Um Lyra" I called.

"Yeah?"

"You should probably go to the doctor’s first."

"Why, I feel fine, 'sides it’s not that bad."

"You’re bleeding from the head" deadpanned Octavia.

It wasn't the first time I had seen the mint unicorn injured, Lyra had the tendency to get into fights with tough guy drunks and boorish stallions who didn't understand when a mare said she wasn't interested, and with bouncers, and her rival lawyers, also… Actually I'm pretty sure that the mint green lawyer just enjoyed fighting.

But now Lyra looked like she had gone three rounds with a train, with predictable results. With a trickle of blood running down around her eye, Lyra was staring at us with a confused look.

"Also, I’m pretty sure you have cracked ribs" I added, noting the way her chest was slightly dented in.

Lyra however ignored me and reached up to give an experimental pat on her head to test for blood. Examining her hoof closely she merely said "Nah see its gone all tacky, it'll stop any second" smiled at us, and then promptly fell over, unconscious.

"Y’know, I'm not actually surprised" said Carrot Top not having moved at Lyra's collapsed.

"C. Top, could you take her to the hospital, while me and Tavi ask around for Bonbon?"

"Why can't you do it? You're the unicorn.” She replied, indicating to my horn.

"Yeah but I have a splitting headache, so any magic is dangerous, why do you think I'm doing this?" I said raising the cup in my forehooves.

That was the thing about magic. Its Wildly sporadic due to it being affected by ones physical wellbeing, a cold is fine, Just sort of headache inducing is all, and hangovers can put you out of it when using magic. Just watch out for the flu, one sneeze can mean anything from summoning something to turning ones front door into macaroni and cheese, usually both.

"Urgh fine, if I throw out my back it’s your fault" said Carrot Top resignedly, walking over to Lyra and lifting her onto her back.

Getting Carrot Top to do anything was difficult. As a mare who ran a Ponyville farm almost single hoovedly, Carrot Top was convinced that she worked hard enough as it was that she didn't have to run errands for others and deserved what little time she got off. Her small town up bringing however meant that she had a touch of bluntness, bluntness that was only amplified when she was hungover.

"I'm surprised that she survived the night" I said, noting upon how Lyra had been in that state for at least a few hours.

"It is probably the worst I've seen her, I hope she's okay." Octavia replied with concern laced in her tired voice

"She'll be fine Lyra's a tough mare"

We sat in silence, the conversation drifting off into an awkward nothingness.

My mind drifted off to this morning. Waking up today was nice despite the hangover, the bruises and my sore back from the tub, being miles from home, losing 4 days - actually I take it back, this morning was bad in retrospect.

"Well, I think we should get this sorted" said Octavia after a few moments, standing from her seat suddenly with a certain stiffness that can only mean an awkward moment.

"I thought that was obvious Tavi" I responded as I followed her lead out of the restaurant/café.

"Yes well, given what's happening at the moment, someone with a clear mind is needed" she said as we walked in between the tables towards the exit.

"I'm perfectly rational y’know that right?”

"No Vinyl, you're' hungover, I however am merely drained from last night."

"Yeah they have a name for that, it’s called hungover.”

"Is not."

"Is to."

"No it isn't."

"Door" I replied, inclining my head as Octavia approached the door while still looking at me during our argument.

There was a dull thud however as Octavia did not comprehend my warning in time and walked headfirst into the glass pane, which proved to be much more solid than she was.

"The door says pull Tavi, not push" I said unable to keep myself from laughing.

"Oh shut up."

---------

"She's gone?"

"Yes she checked out yesterday morning, said her friends would handle paying for the room" the mare at the check in desk said in response unfazed at my outburst. We were standing at the check-in desk in the hotels lobby, ponies bustled around us on the clean marble floor, unaware of the chaos that undoubtedly took place in our hotel room and out in the of Los Pegasus. Their echoing Hoof steps only served to worsen my hangover.

"Uhh any reason why?" I asked.

"Um no she didn't say any reason that I saw, although she did seem pretty distracted at the time.”

"Did she say where she was going?"

"No sorry" she said shaking her head. "Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"Nah."

"Yes" Octavia and I said at the same time.

"Could you tell us when we checked in?" Octavia continued after half a moment.

"Hit Los Pegasus a little hard last night eh?" the mare asked.

"Yeah you could say that" I replied sheepishly.

As the mare typed on her computer for a few moments, looking up our check in date, I turned to Tavi.

"So Bonbon's gone home, without us, problem solved."

"One of them you mean" she replied.

"Well yeah, you know what I meant."

"Okay it says the five of you checked in 2 days ago, around mid-afternoon" said the receptionist, interrupting our conversation.

"Two days" Octavia noted to herself.

"Also you friend left this for you" continued the mare holding out an envelope.

Octavia grabbed the envelope and read the letter quickly.

"Thank you for the help" she said stiffly before dragging me away and towards the elevators.

As soon as our elevators doors closed, Octavia said "we have a problem."

"Thought we already had one" I replied, thinking about Lyra and the state of the room.

Octavia shook her head "no this" she replied as she hoofed me the letter.

There were only two, hoof scrawled sentences that made everything suddenly much more worrisome. It simply said:
“Get out of Los Pegasus as soon as you read this. Avoid the cops. Bonbon."

Great.

Author's Note:

So second chapter is finally here as promised, its a little short and took me a while to get it done as I encountered a mini writers block. but hopefully the next chapter shan't take as long.

any criticisms, let me know as I only seek to improve. as long and they aren't along the lines of "this shit is gay"
also pointing out spelling mistakes are welcome.

thanks to my non brony editor who won't see this, and to my readers, all three of you

hope you enjoyed reading it.

Air Heart out.