• Published 26th Feb 2014
  • 1,734 Views, 23 Comments

Magic of Loyalty - DawnSkies



After a freak stunt accident, Rainbow Dash finds herself in hospital fighting for recovery. But can she hold onto her world after she regains it.

  • ...
5
 23
 1,734

Chapter Three | The Game Begins

Twilight Sparkle usually kept to her schedules and timetables, in order to be organised and as efficient as possible. But today was exception, she couldn't wake up. Not to what she knew existed waiting for her at the hospital, she could allow herself just a moment longer in peace, away from fear and the horrors she knew she'd have to face soon. "Twilight?" She heard echo around her head as she felt herself being shaken from comfort, her fortitude of sleep and safety as Twilight slowly opened her eyes.
"Applejack?" Twilight asked with a hint of confusion. "What are you doing here," Check that she thought as she saw all her friends in her bedroom gathered on the far side. All but one. "What are all you guys doing here?"
"I, we all thought we'd check on Rainbow and Rarity said we should see if wanted to come as well." Applejack said.
"That is if you want to, you know. Twilight." Fluttershy added quietly.

As much as Twilight wanted to stay hidden away in her room, she knew she'd have to face her fear soon enough, at least she wouldn't be alone. She'd have her friends there with her, she knew that in such times none of them would ever be alone.
"Yes, I'll come along to see Rainbow." Twilight spoke finding her feet as she got out of bed. "So do we know anything yet?"
"Course Not Darling." Rarity replied.
"We all thought you'd know, that's why we need to check on Dash, we have to be there for her." Applejack continued for Rarity as she shot a glance at AJ for interrupting her.

As they made their way outside, Twilight could only look around as she saw so many pony's going about their days all happy without any worry. Then she remembered a certain party pony that hasn't said a single word since, well since they all watched Rainbow Dash's little stunt run of the valley.
"Pinkie?" Twilight asking checking she was aware of herself.
"Yes Twilight" Pinkie answer trying to be as energetic as possible, but no bounce was found in her steps and no smile on her face. How could she when she knew all too well what they could be walking into when they got to Ponyville hospital.
"You okay? You've hardly said anything." Twilight spoke looking at her with concern in her voice.
"Don't worry about me Twilight, I'm fine. Let's just get to the hospital." Pinkie replied quickly.

I can't believe the happiest and most outgoing pony, apart from Rainbow Dash, that one could be put to the test, but one of the most outgoing ponies in Ponyville could be made silent by an event such as this she thought to herself as they finally arrived at their destination. The hospital. Most of the time they were here for Rainbow Dash it was never anything that was as bad as this. She didn't know how to handle it, none of them did. Applejack was the only one managing to lead the group. She had to when her friends were struggling forward. Without Rainbow, someone will have to lead them into uncertainty. Just one more thing Twilight always liked about Rainbow. Although it goes against everything she knows, she always admired how Rainbow put herself first into the unknown, threat or journey. She was always there for when things went wrong, always rushing in giving everypony confidence.

"Twilight you coming inside?" Rarity asked as she held the door open looking back at a lost Twilight.
"What, oh sorry." Twilight snapped away from her thoughts as she looked at the hospital exterior once more before walking inside to join her friends. She wished she had more to say. But that was it, none of them could find any words for each other. And how could they when they all knew what as waiting just a few rooms away. Somewhere in this building, lay a broken Rainbow Dash in the best case scenario but Twilight feared the worst as she walked over the the receptionist with the others.

"Hello-" Twilight cleared her throat. "We were wondering if you could tell us where we could find Rainbow Dash?" She asked.
"Names please" The receptionist asked.
"Uggh" How could anypony not know who they were, elements of harmony, saviors of Equestia. She continued the annoyed tone as she quickly noted off their names to the blank faced pony who'd clearly seen too many faces in her time to care anymore.
"Okay one moment, somepony will be through soon." The pony stated.
Applejack cut across confused. "Can't we just see her?"
"Look somepony will be through soon to talk to you about your friend, I'm going to be honest when Miss Sparkle brought your friend in she wasn't in the best shape, and that's compared to other ponies I've seen in this hospital. Now just wait a moment please" She spoke trying to adding emotion to her monotonous voice.

Five minutes passed as they sat there waiting, nothing was said, none of them looking away from their chosen starring points. None of them could do anything, but wait. It felt like an eternity before they heard a door open and a pony with a yellow coat, blue mane and white overalls entered the room, his face screamed out with stress and worry from a years of work. He scoped the room and found a melancholy group of ponies and saw the unicorn he recognized from when she brought her friend in. He walked up to Twilight.
"Twilight Sparkle, correct?" He asked sternly.
"Yes, please Doctor how is she, is Rainbow Dash going to be okay?" Twilight rushed finding words to speak as she wished he'd just tell her everything was okay.
He looked at his clip board on final time before looking at the group of ponies whose eyes had all set upon him.
"You should come with me, all of you," The Doctor said making sure the gravity in his voice was recognizable.

They all climbed out of there seats to follow him. The Doctor lead the way through corridors and wards. Each section getting worst. Twilight looked at each room noting the further they went the more injured or critical the ponies were. Oh god. . . No no no please. Please Rainbow Dash can't be this bad. Twilight begged to herself, she looked into another room seeing one pony on life support and a few crying ponies. The one on the bed was a small green figure, a young colt. With what looked like his family. His mother cried over his body as the father stood holding a young filly she could only assume was their daughter. The scene too unbearable. She couldn't imagine what they were going through. But she could be about to find out as the Doctor stopped before a door and turned to look at the group.

"I have to let you know what your walking into." He sighed to himself. This was the worst part, the part he hated. He liked healing ponies, seeing them get better but the job had its flaws and this was one bit he hated more than the devil himself.
"Look there's no easy way to say this but you have to hear me through. Your friend Rainbow Dash died last night at around two in the morning," He winced as he saw five hearts explode before his eyes as he rushed to continue. "We managed to bring her back but we have been fighting all morning to keep her stable. Miss Dash has suffered massive head trauma and had severe internal bleeding."

If none of them could say anything before, it felt like they just had their throats torn out and set on fire it took a while before Pinkie Pie managed to say something
"D-Do you think she'll make it?" Pinkie managed holding back tears.
"We can't say for sure, but it's highly unlikely, you should all prepare for the worst. If you leave you may not see her again." He answered wishing he could be telling a lie.
"Is there nothing you can do!" Rarity begged at the Doctor.
"We've done all we can, now it's up to her. It's my opinion and many doctors frown upon the idea, but you guys seem really close. She needs you in there. It's stupid but I've seen ponies come back from worse but never without support from loved ones. . . And after we couldn't find any details of her parents you ponies are the best she's got." He answered trying to add some form of hope to them but he was preaching to the converted. He could only open the door and enter leading the way to her bed.

The room echoed with a monotone beep every few seconds, the sunny sky outside didn't even dare shine through the windows as all the other beds were empty baring one on the far side of the room. The dim lights led the way to a curtained corner of the room as they arrived. The doctor pulled the fabric aside revealing what Twilight feared.

To say that Rainbow Dash was injured was an understatement, to say mortally wounded sounded like a better description to Twilight as she rushed to the bed to look at Rainbow Dash, she wished this wasn't true, that none of this was real. Before her Rainbow lay quiet, every breath she took Twilight saw a wince on her face, the pain must be unbearable she was happy she was asleep at least and not awake to feel it. Twilight glanced over Rainbow as the others managed to join her. Rainbow had a scar running along the top of her head only visible as the doctors must of shaved her mane to operate on her, fresh healing cuts plastered her face and a blood stained sheet covered her body where it was clear that clean sheets were going to be impossible. Rainbow's wing looked worst than last time, plastered up but tied down to a support, any movement must be painful. Agonizing even. Twilight began to feel her eyes flood as she gently laid a hoof on Rainbow's and rested her head onto the sheets not caring for the stains, she wanted to look up and see a Rainbow Dash that wasn't badly hurt, one that would just complain and ask for a copy of Daring Doo.

But it was hopeless. She looked back up to find the same, broken Pegasus.
"Rainbow, please. . . " She begged into the empty, injured face. Hoping she would stop ignoring her friends and wake up. She was begging she could just stop being selfish and mean. That'd she'd wake up! But Rainbow still lay there lifeless.
"Come back." She cried into Rainbow's hoof, unable to do anything else but cry. Twilight felt a cold breeze on her shoulder as she looked to the window which was shut. She looked to her friends all sad and teary eyed looking at Rainbow. She hated herself, she could of done anything to help Rainbow before she crashed. I could of caught her! I could of stopped with my magic before it was too late. Hell I could of teleported her out of the valley. Why didn't I? She asked to herself. Before she found her answer. I couldn't. I could never stop you Rainbow Dash, I trusted you, I trusted you to slow down. I could never stop you, I couldn't. It'd hurt more than than the crash did to you. I was scared and I left it to trusting you.Why couldn't you have been scared Rainbow? She looked back into her cyan face which lay still and motionless. Scarred if not for yourself. For us?

Rainbow Dash couldn't see still, she felt. She felt pain beyond compare, agony burned through her nerves as she lay there unable to see anything, she was awake. But at the same time unconscious to the world as she heard cries around her that she could only assume were her friends. Why? Why didn't I listen? I'm sorry guys. She tried to speak out but it all sounded like it echoed through her own head. She wanted to badly wake up and tell them everything was going to be okay. Everything was going to be okay, right? She felt weak as if she'd just flown the the whole territory of Equestria and then some and finished with a Sonic Rainboom to space.

That's something I gotta do when I get outta here. She thought to herself. Rainbow Dash pushed herself to try and wake up, she knew her friends didn't deserve what she had done. Why was I soo selfish!? She felt a wet feeling on her hoof as she assumed somepony was crying over her. She couldn't tell who, she couldn't see. Nor did she know who spoke out to her and helped pull her out of that void. That voice that had soo much power and emotion. She wouldn't ever find out at this rate. When suddenly another laugh filled her head. Discord. Again? She really wanted to take her hooves and punch Discord with enough strength to banish him to the moon herself.

Suddenly a light filled her head as she felt herself being torn from her own. . . Her own body? How she was thinking to herself as the pain subsided and she couldn't feel anything. She looked around trying to see what happened as the light cleared she saw Discord standing in front of her in an unknown room, covered in white boring paint.
"Well, now I see that you are the Element of Loyalty after all. This time you came back for your friends." Discord stated.
"Discord! What do you want now?" She asking knowing he wasn't really here with her, even he wouldn't dare be in the same dimension with her at this rate. Such a thing would be suicide, so he had to make do.
"Just to welcome you back." He said joyfully. "Can't I care for you just like your friends do." He said with his face fighting not to laugh. Before he could continue he lost control and broke out laughing. "Sorry, I tried b-but you have no idea how hard it was to say that with a straight face." Discord managed out before finally calming down.
"Grrr, I asked what do you want Discord!" She barked at him.
"Okay, really I'm here to thank you Rainbow Dash, without you returning to your friends I wouldn't be having so much fun watching all this." He joyfully spoke as with a click of his figures the walls crumbled to reveal a dark and grim room. Still with the same walls, white and dull but this time with a larger room, with beds and. . . her friends.
"Guys! I'm here, I'm right here!" She shouted happily.
"AJ?" She called walking over.
"Rarity, Fluttershy, Pinkie. . . Twilight?" She asked out to the group before arriving to see what they were looking at before almost doubling back. She was looking at Rainbow Dash. She was staring at herself. I look like crap. She thought to herself.

"I guess you were right Twilight" She said resting a hoof on her shoulder before removing it and walking away with tears in her eyes. "Why are you showing me this Discord?" She begged looking back him.
"Just so you're aware of the stakes when you play the game. I don't want you not feeling cared for if you start to decide to give in, trust me Rainbow Dash this is going to be fun to watch." He smiled at her.
"Just send me back. Please, I can't take this anymore." Rainbow demanded glancing at her friends.
"As you wish. We won't be seeing each other again Dash but I'll be rooting for you, after all every game needs an audience." He laughed before Rainbow felt herself being pulled backwards as the world. Her vision darkened and she felt the pain return, dear Celestia this hurts more than I thought. Rainbow was finally back in her body, gentle sobs and severe agony confirmed this for her. She wished she could wake up now. But she remembered again Discord mentioning the game. What does he have planned? She thought, although she knew all too well she'd be finding out sooner than she thought.

Author's Note:

So this upload is a couple days early. Sue me.
Anyway I added around a thousand words extra as I practiced stretching out each perspective. I guess enough meddling with Discord and next chapter we'll get to the real fun. Slow start I know and I hope I can make it up to you guys.

So far thanks for reading and all the feedback, I'm trying to mix a few things in, but I can't throw you through the motions just yet. We're coming to it, just you wait. And sorry about the cliff hanger. Again.

EDIT: Okay done some edits, after chapter four I'll see about doing some improvements to this chapter, I will also look into the others as well.
NOTE: Chapter four is almost ready, I want it to be longer than the others as I'm trying to write slightly differently and make the scenes feel slightly longer and not rushed. So again and again I'm sorry for these delays...