• Published 24th Mar 2012
  • 1,965 Views, 67 Comments

Beyond Horizon's Edge - Broseph_Stalin



Nopony needs to concern themselves with what’s beyond the known realms of Equestria. Right?

  • ...
4
 67
 1,965

Midday's Visitor's

Chapter XV. – Midday’s Visitors



The thick curtains were pulled across the grand room in a long, sweeping motion, spilling a blinding and dazzling light into the Lord’s chambers. A figure sat up in bed, its greying mane wild and eyes burning with a barely insulated hatred at this usurper of noon-time dreams.

“For all that is holy and righteous, by the graces of Alik’Kr, I will murder you, Beseus!” screamed the Lord. Spittle flung from between long, razor-sharp teeth as he roared to his servant wizard. Beseus merely nodded, and lowered the hood of the deep red cloak he always wore. Grandly painted horns and deep-set amber eyes were revealed, and a level smile touched his lips.

“My lord, it seems you have visitors. From the North, in fact,” he murmured. His voice was as silken as ever, and, much to his master’s irritation, weighed heavy with perplexity. Without so much as another word, the court mage’s figure glided out of the Lord’s bedroom. He left behind him a very stunned and shocked looking king.

Skeren’Ve was not an Ekina to be taken lightly. Ruling over the kingdom for almost fifty years was no small feat, and doing it side-by-side with a wife like Bresel was no small task, either. He had seen many great things in his time as the Lord of Ek’Rael, and particularly prided himself in carrying on the peaceful rule that was the Common Era.

But this…

Skeren sat at the edge of the bed with his head cradled gently in his worn hooves. He rubbed the long greying beard that sat upon his features, contemplating what this meant.

“Travelers from the North…” he whispered to himself. “No. It can’t be…”

He stood up, donning a long silken robe, and promptly walked out to meet his Lady.

. . . .

The pair met in the interlinked halls of the great ochre castle. The Lord spotted the Lady, who was dressed in a long magenta gown that seemed to flow like crystal water around her form. Her face, which was framed in the grand chestnut mane that he so loved, was set in deep concern as she looked upon him.

“I’m assuming Beseus came to visit you?” she asked soberly.

“Yes. Nearly gave me a bloody heart attack when he ripped open the curtains,” he said, wincing at the memory of blinding sunlight. He let out a long sigh.

“And, I figure that I am correct in assuming he has told you who is on their way to this very place?” she inquired with an arched eyebrow. Skeren nodded solemnly.

“Travelers from the North. And if they have gotten over the wall without so much as a sound from the forward guards, then it is who I fear it to be.” He glanced down at the rug that lay on the stone floor, where stars swirled and interlocked in the worn tapestry. He lifted his tired eyes up to meet his lady's.

She met his gaze with a slow nod.

“It seems we will be having a very interesting day indeed, today.” She started off for the main hall. Her husband followed in step behind her.

. . . .

Twilight felt the bump of the earth as the carriage came down to rest expertly on the ground. Setting down the black leather-bound book she had been reading, she glanced out the window and felt her jaw drop as the scene unfolded before her: a dazzling castle stood set in the side of the mountain. Its broad ochre walls looked to be great sheets of metal that had corroded over the time of many millennia, and now revealed to her an astounding display of reddish orange.

Tall spires jutted from atop the huge towers that were peppered across the castle’s grand walls. She looked up as the keep seemed to straddle the very length of the mountain itself like a gigantic mechanical backbone.

“Twilight,” came Celestia’s calm voice from across the carriage. The inquisitive unicorn promptly shut her gaping mouth and glanced over towards her teacher. The princess pulled a long silk robe from a sack with a sparkle of magic, and floated it over to Twilight. She felt the cool material in her hooves, and turned it to look it over.

The robe was of high-quality silk. She noticed that it stood in a royal purple that struck one’s eye grandly, and remarked with a slight smile that it was embroidered with the constellations of the northern sky. She looked up at the pair before her expectantly as a grin painted her features at the marvelous gift.

“That is to be worn while we are here, and only to be removed when we specifically say so, okay Twilight?” Celestia commanded gently. Twilight nodded an affirmative, though her mind was burning with questions.

“Why, Princess?” she asked hastily, as she searched for the head hole of the robe.

“Because,” Luna began, “ponies are not known here in Ek’Rael. In order to facilitate certain… regulations, we will need to remain incognito. For the time being, of course.” She cut her sentence short as she wriggled into an inky black robe that was clasped with hoof-polished moonstone. It gleamed in the shape of her cutie mark, a brilliant half-moon and solitary star.

Twilight glanced over to find Celestia adorning a similar robe. Hers, however, was a pearlescent white, and was clasped with a noon-time sun set in brilliant fire-gems.

Twilight looked down at her own cloak: the pattern of stars was painstakingly sewn in perfect order. Twilight bet that she could measure the positions exactly, and come out to find that they were a precise match to the stars that twinkled in the night's sky. She adjusted the clasp that lay at the base of her neck with a sparkle of magic, a brilliant violet star held the light material tightly to her body.

She glanced back over to the princesses. The pair looked back with uniquely determined glances.

“Are you ready, Princess Sparkle? Remember that we come here as unwelcome guests to a far-flung land. This is certainly not a vacation trip, and I expect the absolute best from you. You are, after all, representing an entire nation.” Celestia looked down on her equal, face set in serious focus.

Twilight got the inane sensation she were getting a scolding from her mother. Trying to hide the grimace that threatened to take over her face, she nodded curtly and said, “Yes, princess. I understand.” She looked back and forth at the pair.

“Very well. Let us go, then.” The princesses raised their hoods, shrouding their features within the dim light. Twilight followed suit, and found that the hood fell neatly about her horn with no bunching or rising.

She followed the royal pair out of the carriage, and stepped out into the brilliant sunlight. A warm breeze lifted around her legs as she walked, and carried with it a moist tropical heat. Twilight almost stopped at the shock. Being located within a vast range of mountains, she had expected a dry, frigid temperament.

Twilight had noticed, as well, that the pegasi that had pulled the carriage were draped in plain black cloaks, their wings tucked in and hidden from sight. A cursory glance revealed that there was not a soul around the entire place. With another revelation, she recalled that Ekina were nocturnal; it was the dead of night for them. Glancing around, she continued to follow the pair up to the castle’s entrance, her thin cloak already beginning to stick to her sweating body. The heat was unbearable here.

What Twilight saw then was the greatest shock of all: a vast entry stood before them with narrow catwalks at the apex of the great door. The door itself seemed to be gigantic pieces of hammered and welded metal, and it stood in a corroded green. It had obviously stood the test of time, and she remarked with a slight grimace at the deep dents and pits, as well as the broad scratches that lay near the foot of the door. A reminder of years gone by…she mused to herself.

The group stopped, and waited. Celestia planted her hooves firmly and called out in a deep and booming voice.

“Lord and Lady of the Grand Kingdom of Ek’Rael! We come as visitors of another land to bring a stray from your flock. Please, allow us entrance into the castle, so we may relinquish him unto you!” Twilight’s ears rang with the Princess’s voice as it echoed off the great steel battlements.

Time seemed to stand still. Crows that had been frightened off by the sun princesses’ call returned, driven by agonizing curiosity. Seconds crept by, and still nothing happened. The threesome stood in the glaring light of the sun, cloaks picked up gently in the sultry air. Twilight saw spots of delicate sweat staining each princess's cloak in a thin line along their back.

Finally, Luna turned to her sister, rash and impatient as ever. Just as she opened her mouth to speak, though, a terrifying groan was heard that seemed to emanate from the very beast that lay before the three. They all turned to face the entryway as the doors swung inwards. A blast of cold, dry air danced around all three, and Twilight felt her mouth drop as she witnessed what came forth from the gaping maw.

A platoon of wicked-looking soldiers marched forth from the black, stacked single-file on either side of two figures that were dressed in shades of crimson and magenta. Behind those two was an Ekina with sunken eyes and garishly-painted horns. Several other Ekina whose beards were longer than their horns followed suit behind them.

The soldiers themselves were more than intimidating enough. Their plate armor shone in the sun like finely polished brass, glinting with the pride of a well-skilled hoof. They each carried immense spears that jutted up from their grip like stripped trees in a forest. Each one also carried on their waist a fiercely curved sword, the hilt of each was emblazoned with ancient runes backed in ebony.

The helmet that sat upon each of their heads was the most ghastly sight of all, however. Shaped into a wicked point, they sat almost elliptical on their heads, seeming to coalesce with each soldier’s pronged set of horns in the back. Two long, black slits extended from the tip of the helmet’s “nose,” and ended where Twilight could only guess was their eyes. This was the only indication that the figures weren’t some sort of blind automatons as they marched in perfect formation.

The elegantly dressed figures that stood between them were much calmer to the eye, though Twilight could tell they held a fierce passion all their own. The figure dressed in crimson had a well-groomed silver beard that matched the intensity of his long mane. Upon his head sat a brilliant golden crown, the likes of which were inset in flawless diamonds.

The magenta-clad figure stood taller than her counterpart, though she was much thinner. Her tawny gaze was piercing, but seemed to hold a hidden compassion as well. Her chestnut-hued mane was braided in grand locks, and interwoven into it was a gold and moonstone circlet which sat at the top of her head.

As the armored soldiers ceased their march, a heavy stillness held over the congregation. Celestia and Luna, as graceful as ever, bowed grandly to the elegantly dressed pair. Twilight followed suit, being sure to follow the princess’ example to the letter.

“Celestia, and Luna” came the sudden voice of the bearded old Ekina. Twilight noticed that he had dropped the princesses's formal titles. His look turned disapproving as he surveyed the alicorns before him. His gaze came to rest on Twilight’s form and he grimaced slightly, though the look only waivered on his stoic features for a moment.

“You know you are banished from this land. Why do you return to us, now?” His voice seemed to weigh heavily with the burden of sovereignty. Twilight figured that he had probably been in the care of the kingdom with his wife for a great deal of time.

Celestia finally stood up to her full height, and said smoothly, “We have found one of your subjects wandering in our land. We have no knowledge of how he got here, but we have brought him here to hand him over to you, as is custom for those who pass beyond the boundaries.” Her voice was steady and unwavering. Twilight realized this was probably an average day for her. After all, a princess had to keep on her toes for every situation that arose regarding her kingdom.

The royal pair shared looks of stunned disbelief. The Lady stepped forward to address the three.

“An Ekina? In your land? Preposterous,” she snorted in a voice that held a slight shrillness. “Not a single Ekina has left the gates in over a millennium and a half. What are you doing here, Celestia?” she added, taking a menacing step forward. "Answer, now."

Twilight could feel as tension built thick, laying a whole new layer of pressure in the muggy air. She shot a nervous glance over at the guards. Each one stood stock still, though she could see their hooves gripping the handle of their spears tighter and tighter. Gulping hard, she looked back over the princess for a familiar comfort.

Celestia had not, of course, budged at the Lady’s cutting remark. She instead turned her head regally, and indicated at the wagon behind her.

“In there, you will find one of your kingdom. He hails by the name of Ento’Ba, as we have come to find.” The princess raised an eyebrow as the royal pair’s depreciative looks turned muddled with confusion.

“Ba? Of the Ba family? The esteemed blacksmith’s son?” Twilight heard the Lord ask quietly to his wife. The Lady only shook her head in response, maintaining a glare upon her uninvited guests.

“Then let you act honest on your word, and produce him forth hence.”

Celestia nodded, and turned in the direction of the cart. With another curt nod, Twilight watched as Ento stumbled out of the small carriage, covering his eyes as he squinted in the bright light.

She felt a familiar sensation in her gut at the sight. Her stomach did a backflip as she watched the muddled-green Ekina approach the group cautiously.

. . . .

Ento felt his mind reel in confusion as the guard shoved him from out of the carriage with a whisper to go to princesses. Ento obeyed. What else could he do? A very familiar, and very warm, muggy air hit him. He remembered with a grimace why no Ekina was awake during the day, and could already feel his mane sticking to him in the humidity.

As his tired eyes adjusted to the blinding light, his stomach sank in grim regret as he spotted the entire assembly that was before him:

Viciously armed Centuriori Guards stood in Empirical formation around the Lord and Lady. The royal pair was, themselves, dressed grandly in flowing robes, as was custom. His stomach sunk even further as his gaze rested upon the hooded forms of Celestia and Luna. With a startling revelation, he realized what was in front of him: figures of purest white and deepest black!

Anger boiled up in his mind. Pieces fell together, and a fierce sense of defiance overcame him. This only worsened in intensity as he finally arrived at the large group, his mane flopping irritatingly from perspiration. He watched in disgust as Twilight’s broad smile peered out from beneath her hood. He looked away sharply, up at the ruling pair’s harsh glares. For now, it was the lesser of two evils.

“My Lord and Lady…” he muttered, and broke into a deep bow. His face set deeper in pain as he heard the Lady’s cutting voice address him.

“Ento’Ba. Son of Krya’Ba, the royal blacksmith. What do you have to say in your defense, as you stand here accused of violating our nation’s oldest and most sanctified law?”

Ento looked up, face set in a defiant smirk.

“I fall victim to whatever the Lord and Lady of my beloved kingdom may decide as my fate.” He shot a scathing glance at Twilight, and smiled privately as he saw her face drop in stunned horror. He enjoyed her pain, fed off her anguish. Somewhere inside him, though, a whisper of hollow guilt rang out. He squashed the thought with little effort.

The Lady raised an eyebrow at her subject’s keen response.

“Very well, young colt. As the law demands, we will prepare a Grand Jury for this evening at twilight’s hour to decide what is the correct punishment for your crime against the kingdom.” She turned to Celestia, Luna and Twilight. “As for you three, you will be staying under our direct care until the trial is over. Ancient law dictates the presence of the returning force.” A grimace painted her wizened features. “Not that we have a choice in the matter, anyhow.”

Celestia nodded in patient acceptance.

“We appreciate the gesture, and will be sure to not cause a scene while we are present. I know that our existence here is to remain a myth. We have taken precautions for this, as you can see,” she added, nodding slightly at the hooded figures behind her.

“Very well,” came the Lord’s deep, oily voice. “Please, follow us inside. We will get things in order for the evening, and get out of this cursed sun.” Ento heard Celestia snort ever-so gently at the Lord's remark about her namesake.

Turning to leave, the noon-time assembly entered back through the great doors.

Ento’s face was stone. He didn’t give a single glance towards Twilight’s direction as he entered through the intimidating doors. He felt a queer sensation as his predator’s eyes adjust to the darkened interior, and instant relief as a whisper of a breeze sucked the heat right off his body.

The massive metal doors slammed shut behind him with a huge clang, insulating everyone off from the light of day.