• Published 22nd Feb 2014
  • 2,228 Views, 55 Comments

The Wrong Hoof - ChainGunDragon



Twilight thought the changelings were done and dusted until she receives a surprise visit from someone who needs her help, and a story of conspiracy and deception leads Twilight to ask herself. Who can she really trust?

  • ...
7
 55
 2,228

Nightfall

Walking out of the city, Twilight took one look back at the Canterlot castle. The building stood tall over the city, shrouded in darkness. On any other given day you’d be able to see the sun rising behind it by now, bringing forth the morning but without a princess to raise it, tonight was going to last.

“We shouldn’t have a problem with getting caught this far out,” Shining Armor said, taking a moment to relax as Flash Sentry found a spot under a large tree to try to shelter from the cold night air, everyone else following suit. “So how are we going to find the changeling city if not even Cadence knows where it is?”

“Well Twilight knows where the changelings are doesn’t she? She can find us a guide,” Flash Sentry said as everyone turned their attention to the princess.

“The changelings follow Vano, their prince. As long as Vano is on our side, yes we could find a guide. But…”

“But what?” Flash asked, taking a seat on a fallen log. “We did all this to help the changelings, why wouldn’t they help us in return?”

“They weren’t supposed to attack Princess Celestia,” Twilight answered, using her magic to create a cloak to keep her warm, even if just slightly. “The attack was originally supposed to be an act of defiance and that alone. Changelings trap their enemies. They don’t hurt them, not unless they have to. Prince Vano was supposed to meet up with us but he didn’t. How do I know he wasn’t the one who attacked Celestia? I honestly can’t say for sure if he’s on my side or if I’ve just been some pawn in a grudge match between the two.” Twilight studied the pebbles and stones on the ground and collapsed into one of the curves of a larger rock. There was a near silence for a few moments as a winter breeze whistled through the leaves above them.

“Actually,” The white guard said, looking back and forth between the three of them. Twilight raised her head to look him in the eyes as he immediately lost his composure. “well I-I mean it’s, n-never mind,” he stuttered, immediately backing out of the topic. Twilight ignored him and turned her gaze back to Flash Sentry as her brother sat down on the rock next to her.

“And don’t think I’ve forgotten about you,” she said as even the orange guard lost the confidence to look her in the eyes. “You had to have known about what was going to happen beforehoof if you came pre-prepared with fake elements to swap the real ones out with. Not to mention that you two are the only guards who are still on our side. And now that I think about it, you’re the only royal guard in Canterlot I’ve ever seen who’s any color other than white or grey.”

“No,” Shining said, rejecting the idea. “There’s plenty of… I mean maybe not that shade of orange but there’s…There has to be at least… I think.” Shining paused and actually began to think about that statement.

“Look, as much as you try to hide it, I know how you feel about me Twilight,” Flash answered, finally looking back at her. “If I told you, it may change how you see me.”

“I don’t care, tell me.”

“Do you promise not to hate me?”

“I promise nothing, tell me,” Twilight repeated, starting to get frustrated. Flash stood up and open a hatch on the side of the log he was sitting on, withdrawing a makeshift rucksack from its hollow chamber. He pulled it over and rested it in front of Twilight before walking back over next to the log.

“The elements of harmony. You may not want to talk to me so it’s probably best that I give you those now.” He turned to the white guard and nodded before looking back at Twilight. “For what it’s worth, I’m sorry about all of this.” His eyes shimmered green as he spoke the words, green embers rising from beneath his hooves. He looked away from the other three and closed his eyes as the embers started to burn brighter, soon turning into flames that crawled up his legs. As the green fires climbed higher, enveloping Flash’s body, all they left behind was the black, ashen composure of burnt out coal riddled with holes and tunnels burrowing through what were once the legs of a royal guard. Even his armor changed shape into a suit of black and gold, a combination Twilight had only seen one place before. As the last colored ember burning at the end of his tail flickered out, Flash Sentry opened his eyes again, awaiting the princess’s reaction. Even the wind calmed down as a dead silence followed, lasting for what felt like an hour before Twilight finally rose from her seat.

“How long?” She asked, narrowing her eyes. He raised an eyebrow in response.

“I’m afraid I don’t-“

“How long have you been impersonating Flash Sentry, Vano?” His heart sank as he finally understood the question, it was painful to him to watch the most studious of ponies struggle to piece together the clues laid out clearly before her.

“I’m not sure if you don’t understand… or if you just don’t want to. But either way, I understand that you must hate me.”

“Twilight,” Shining Armor said, turning to face his sister. “I think he means there never was a Flash Sentry.”

“So you’ve been lying to me this whole time?” Twilight asked, eyes still fixed on the changeling. “So who’s this then?” She looked toward the white pegasus who took a couple steps back

“D-Dolus, again. Sorry,” He said as he followed Vano’s example and shifted back into his changeling form.

“So this whole time, I’ve had a changeling in my ranks?” Shining asked, standing up as well, next to Twilight. “A changeling has been serving under me for over a year.” He slowly walked towards the changeling prince. “A changeling has moved up the ranks and become my personal favorite guard. A changeling has upheld order countless times in the name of Princess Celestia. A changeling has had everyone fooled simply because he looked a bit different?” He stood next to the prince and looked back at Twilight, gesturing a hoof toward Vano. “So this is the changeling prince you keep talking about?” Vano turned to face him.

“Yes sir. Prince Vano of the changelings. I understand that you both must have mixed feelings about this, but I can assure you that I had nothing to do with what happened to Celestia. As much as I would like to see her reap what she has sown first hoof, I couldn’t go behind your backs like that.”

“Twilight, Maybe you haven’t known him as long as I have, but not even a changeling could fake the things he has done. This means he did meet us back there in the chamber, he’s been on our side this whole time.” The disheartened alicorn didn’t respond but instead just shook her head slowly as her brother walked back over to her. “Look, I understand you may be confused or even hurt, but we can’t stop now. After all the work we’ve done, all of the trouble we’ve been through, we can’t let it be for nothing. Now that we have a guide, we just need to finish this, and then you can start questioning the legitimacy of Flash Sentry’s personality. But for now we have to stick together, could you do that for me?” Twilight looked up at her brother and nodded.

“We’ll need the others. All six of us have to be there for the elements of harmony to work.”

“That can be arranged,” Vano said confidently, sights already set on the dark horizon leading to the changeling city where it all began. “It’s time to finish this.”